Cipres/FFSG Press Release on the situation 12-16-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathSpiraling

Here's an article I read in yesterday's Le Parisien. France's OG medalist Philippe Candeloro's spoke bluntly about the two cases which tarnish the image of France's Figure Skating.

Below is the article loosely translated ...

"The Ciprés and Lecavalier cases dirty the skating environment: Laurine Lecavelier, 2017 French champion, tested positive for cocaine. At 23, she faces a four-year suspension. And Morgan Ciprès, 28-year-old Frenchman is involved in a moral affair in the United States, where he trains. The 2019 European champion is suspected of having sent two photos of his penis in 2017 to a 13-year-old girl, before apologizing. These are two bad deals that dirty the environment. Not everything is excusable. Morgan tried to explain but it was something that will follow him for a very long time. He seems to have admitted the facts by apologizing. Only, in the United States, this kind of case hurts and does not go away. I am very disappointed ... for him because I like him. But he's no longer a kid, he should have thought before sending.

Morgan's coaches are also in the crosshairs ... they tried to cover up the business before the Games in Pyeongchang in 2018. The consequences are likely, alas, to fall on Kevin Aymoz.

Are you surprised by Laurine Lecavelier's positive control? It's a mind-blowing affair! We didn't expect that from her. Was she doped? Did she want to have fun or was she drugged without her knowing? Laurine deserves better, it pisses me off ... for her, because the damage is done. I hope she will be cleared of all suspicion for the rest of her career...

The French Federation finds itself in spite of itself in turmoil ... Our president Didier Gailhaguet has to cope with that, unfortunately. It is not an easy situation to defend a French team which leaves for Euros next week. I put myself in his place: he is not responsible for the behavior of his athletes, he will defend them at best. But these stories are hard to defend."

Sounds to me like FFSG may be distancing itself from creepy Morgan going forward and hopefully he'll retire before Beijing 2022.

Japanfan

"The Ciprés and Lecavalier cases dirty the skating environment: Laurine Lecavelier, 2017 French champion, tested positive for cocaine. At 23, she faces a four-year suspension. And Morgan Ciprès, 28-year-old Frenchman is involved in a moral affair in the United States, where he trains. The 2019 European champion is suspected of having sent two photos of his penis in 2017 to a 13-year-old girl, before apologizing. These are two bad deals that dirty the environment.

I really have a problem with these two events being treated as the same. What Laurine did affected only herself (unless she was encouraging other skaters at the rink to try coke). What Morgan did affected someone else adversely, and a minor at that. Laurine's actions would not have 'dirtied' the environment unless she brought her drug into it, which she probably did not do.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Did Candeloro seriously just equate a positive test for cocaine with sexual harassment of a minor?

For fcuk's sake, Cipres is really going to get away with this as long as he stays in France, isn't he? Even the way Candeloro says "Only, in the United States, this kind of case hurts and does not go away." suggests that if Cipres had done this in France - and honestly, he probably did, these sorts of things are rarely one-offs - he would have completely gotten away with it.

canbelto

Totally disgusting behavior all around. Wow. I also wish there was someone else besides Ashley Wagner speaking out about this. It's great that she's speaking out but other veteran female skaters had to have witnessed this sort of behavior and their silence is disappointing. I'm also disappointed in a few figure skaters who are super vocal on social media about a variety of issues and silent on this one. Oh well.

triple_toe

I didn't even realize that was Candeloro, I was so pissed. Please Philippe, like anyone is going to believe you've never tried your fair share of party drugs. God. This sport just keeps on giving, doesn't it?

Japanfan

Are you surprised by Laurine Lecavelier's positive control? It's a mind-blowing affair! We didn't expect that from her. Was she doped? Did she want to have fun or was she drugged without her knowing? Laurine deserves better, it pisses me off ... for her, because the damage is done. I hope she will be cleared of all suspicion for the rest of her career...

Not sure what he means by this, but the statement seems inappropriate IMO.

nimi

I really have a problem with these two events being treated as the same. What Laurine did affected only herself (unless she was encouraging other skaters at the rink to try coke). What Morgan did affected someone else adversely, and a minor at that. Laurine's actions would not have 'dirtied' the environment unless she brought her drug into it, which she probably did not do.
FYI, the "two scandals" framing was provided by the interviewer. Sure, Candeloro's answer was far from perfect (no surprise there) but I just feel the need to point out that it was was the journalist who equated the two cases by posing the question "Quel est votre avis sur les deux scandales qui secouent le patinage français ?" in the first place.

(This is why you should be a bit wary when relying on "loose translations", btw. Here's a link to another translation with screenshots of the original French article, so you can see which parts are the Qs and which are the As: https://twitter.com/otonalchopin/status/1219189877738295296)

ETA: link to Spanish translation

Last edited:

Japanfan

Thanks for the clarification, @nimi.

Totally disgusting behavior all around. Wow. I also wish there was someone else besides Ashley Wagner speaking out about this. It's great that she's speaking out but other veteran female skaters had to have witnessed this sort of behavior and their silence is disappointing. I'm also disappointed in a few figure skaters who are super vocal on social media about a variety of issues and silent on this one. Oh well.

Skaters' failure to speak out and address the issue is indeed disappointing - and also somewhat complicit in terms of sexual harassment/abuse in FS and in general. I would like both female and male skaters to take a stand. They are probably afraid of 'rocking the boat' and the possible repercussions it might have for them. Some of them may have been directly told not to contribute to the conversation.

So many people prefer complacency to taking the risk of speaking out. I understand that, and really applaud Ash Wagner for speaking out on this and prior to the Sochi Olympics, speaking out Russia's treatment of gay people.

I would likely to see her get a position that allows her to be heard by a largely audience, and gives her an opportunity to pursue/facilitate change.

:cheer2: Ash Wagner.

Last edited:

I❤️Marina&Sergai

Absolutely agree, the cases aren’t at all the same. Her actions are mainly a risk to herself, he has chosen to send explicit images to underage girls and goodness knows the damage that has done to them. While he seems to have been able to get on with his life

Eleanor2

These two events are "not treated as the same". As bad as it sounds, it seems the journalist just wants to know how these scandals are going to affect the FFSG. Figure Skating is not huge in France and two of the skaters are involved in "scandals" (word used in the interview). The french public may get a bad opinion of figure skating (as well as the ministry of sports who decide how much they will give the federation). Philippe Candeloro is just answering to the questions he is asked about. Honestly I have a hard time finding something inappropriate in his answer.

jiejie

I agree with @Eleanor. I don't think Candeloro was equating the two situations ("scandals") as moral/criminal equivalents at all. I think some here are reading things into Candeloro's responses that aren't there. Particularly when you look at the format/sequencing of the journalist's questions then his answers in context.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
New article by Christine Brennan

In another development, the lawyer for the girl and her family said that after Zimmerman was told about the alleged incident involving Cipres and the girl, he decided to allow Cipres to coach the girl one-on-one the following morning in a regularly scheduled training session. Those training sessions at the rink in Wesley Chapel, Florida went on for an week.

Disgusting.

Vagabond

The French word "scandale" usually means something other than "scandal" in English. Here, it would be better translated as "affair."

becca

Any person who is a person of good moral character should not protect "their own" when those actions are abhorrent.

I am willing to bet that if Cipre were a black male accused of sending nude photo to underage child, and who has the protection of the federation that the outrage would be immeasurable. The fact that some people feel that the French Skating Federation protecting Cipre is part of human nature is exactly that, white privilege. That kind of opportunity is not afforded to people of color. E.g. Kobe Bryant sexual assault case.
Considering Cipre is black and the victims may be white..or may not be.I think invoking terms like white privileged is unfair. Kobe never went to jail or lost really anything.

I think this is about power and what people will do in positions of power it’s not about race.

okokok777

Oh woops lol. Your right though still not sure what race has to do with this

IMO there is definitely a point to be made about how racial disparities in the US criminal justice system, systemic racism and unconscious racial prejudice impacted the treatment of and reaction to Morgan's actions in this case. I also think that other factors (his gender, his athletic success & reputation, the judged nature of figure skating, etc.) come into play.

Japanfan

I think this is about power and what people will do in positions of power it’s not about race.

ITA that there would be more outrage if Cipres was Black.

Race informs so many viewpoints, actions and decisions, often unconsciously. Including what people in positions of power will do - and it is salient to note that Blacks are generally underrepresented in positions of power.

Male privilege and white privilege are real things.

Vagabond

I'm not at all sure that the response in France would be any different if Morgan Ciprès were black. The issue at hand appears to hit a moral blind spot there.

nimi

ICYMI: FFSG is in the midst of a major crisis, Didier refuses to resign (even though the French Minister of Sports told him to) and seems hell-bent on taking FFSG down with him, and it's very possible that in two weeks the process of decertifying FFSG will begin. The Ciprès situation came up during Didier's press conference today:

FFSG thread on FSU: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/does-french-figure-skating-have-a-culture-of-rape-ffsg-in-the-storm.106837/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information