Zagitova announces a temporary suspension of her competitive career; will perform in shows, incl. 'Art on Ice 2020'

kittysk8ts

Don’t blame her a bit for needing a break, temporary or not. I think she’s a sweet kid and I’ve enjoyed her skating thus far. Looking forward to seeing her in her other projects and wishing her and her doggie and family the very best.

Tinami Amori

I'm glad she will eventually leave sambo. Poor girl is probably exhasuted from such a toxic place

In an interview she clearly said she is not leaving Sambo, staying with her coaches, will continue to practice and to skate, but not competitively this season. She also said that Sambo is her on-ice family and yes, you can call her other training mates "friends".

"Toxic" were the people who wanted "the other girl to win the Olympics" and tried to damage Zagitova in every way possible, and her coach, and they were not in Sambo.. ;)

This is her full interview on Russia Channel #1 - 21 minutes. (she got longer time allocation on central Russian prime time news, then any top government officials.. :lol:)

Last edited:

Lacey

I am very sad, but I guess not surprised, by the lose the weight to get the jumps statement. Quads Schmads.

bardtoob

I am glad she won the worlds last year. At least she proved herself and others that the Olympics were not just one lucky competiti

Yeah, but it was a Lipinski* lucky, not a Hughes/Sotnikova lucky, which is much more acceptable to fans.

* Now Lipinski/Zagitova lucky :D

DreamSkates

I hope she greatly enjoys all her new opportunities. It must be hard to pull back, at her age, having won everything.What an accomplishment! And knowing you cannot beat the younger ones with quads, at this point in time, it's healthier to take some time and give yourself a break.

Tinami Amori

I am very sad, but I guess not surprised, by the lose the weight to get the jumps statement. Quads Schmads.
Don't feel bad.... In my days we had the same "weight" conversations when doubles were going out and triples becoming a norm..... and later when a ladies LP required 6-7 triples.. and 10 years from now it will be about 4A if not earlier.. :D physics rule.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Not an unexpected announcement but Zags will be missed. She has “the goods” to have a long career as spokesperson, model, icon in Russia & Japan. TV specials? Good luck!

Japanfan

It must be hard to pull back, at her age, having won everything.What an accomplishment! And knowing you cannot beat the younger ones with quads, at this point in time, it's healthier to take some time and give yourself a break.

Or maybe she just knows it is the right time. Having won everything, why would she compete against skaters who might beat her? Better to go out on a high.

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Everyone already saying goodbye is it 100 % sure that it is retirement not a break..?

It was a long goodbye with Adelina Sotnikova. She has never been able to bring herself to the point whereby she concedes that she has reached the end of her competitive career, but the reality is that she has. I imagine that it will be the same with Zagitova. That is always the problem with winning the Olympic gold medal at such a young age. It sucks your motivation dry and brings your career to a premature end. That is why one has to admire Kataina Witt and Yuzuru Hanyu. They were never satisfield with just one Olympic title and were able to rise above the trappings of the initial Olympic title, to find the motivation and determination to carry on, and find ways to continue winning.

Last edited:

lily

It was a long goodbye with Adelina Sotnikova. She has never been able to bring herself to the point whereby she concedes that she has reached the end of her competitive career, but the reality is that she has. I imagine that it will be the same with Zagitova. That is always the problem with winning the Olympic gold medal at such a young age. It sucks your motivation dry and brings your career to a premature end. That is why one has to admire Kataina Witt and Yuzuru Hanyu. They were never satisfield with just one Olympic title and were able to rise above the trappings of the initial Olympic title, to find the motivation and determination to carry on and find ways to continue winning.
I guess the situation in Russia is not the same than in Japan for Yuzuru nor like it was in former DDR. Nobody knows what Alina really wants. In tv she says what she is obligated to say. Maybe she desperately wants to compete but it is not given her.

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
And now, to commemorate the long and glorious career of this Olympic and world champion, let's remember all the iconic programs and performances that advanced the figure skating, inspired the younger generation and will forever be written in the annals of the sport:

feraina

I think maybe the rivalry with Medvedeva last season kept Zagitova motivated somewhat. But last year they both stood on worlds podium. This year both are unlikely to make it to worlds. It’s not much of a competition when you can’t even get to the major comps.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
And now, to commemorate the long and glorious career of this Olympic and world champion, let's remember all the iconic programs and performances that advanced the figure skating, inspired the younger generation and will forever be written in the annals of the sport:

Fabulous, with the iconic red tutu! God bless her in her future career. I bet that she’ll fare magnificently.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

That's a bit harsh. Personally, I found her Olympic long program memorable. Was it artistically sublime? No. Did she pull off an admirable technical feat with enthusiasm, joy, and lots of personality on the biggest stage in skating, while looking pretty darn adorable in her red tutu? I'd say yes.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
On one of the GPF ladies broadcasts Johnny Weir said something like "One of the top level lite Russian elite ladies skaters called me and said now what do I do and what do I do with my life?"

I thought which ladies skater does Johnny have this relationship with... Could be several. First I thought it must be Tuk. Wondering now if it was Zag. Who knows..... So much change and so quickly....

Last edited:

skipaway

This “champion at 15, washed up at 17” scenario every year is making ladies skating so boring.
Kind of like Thoroughbred Racing when the 3 yr olds are retired. 🏇
I do wish her well and hope she finds a good avenue for her future.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Tarasova few weeks ago and for the past year was raving about Zagitova, giving her every praise "she is tops, no matter what she does next", "she is the star of Russian skating", "what tremendous improvement, Team Eteri really knows how to develop their skaters, big praise!"

Tarasova does/says what's good for her politics and her agenda today and now. She is known to turn on a dime on cut and clear issues. Many talk about it.

By saying what she said now Tarasova does have an agenda (because something she was planning to do is somewhat affected by Zagitova's announcement). Tarasova now has to go for "plan B" and it is convenient to for her to take this stand now.

Part of it (but only a part of it) has to do that Tarasova is in "camp Averbuch", who has competing shows with Tatiana Navka's show, which stars, and will star in the future, Alina Zagitova.

and that's just one part of it, i'll skip the rest. It's politics... not a "true believe" in what she is saying. Had Team Eteri gave her a bit more access to their club/group/business, Tarasova would be saying totally different things and sounding just as "profound and concerned about future of skating".. :D

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Other than Yuna Kim, Zagitova has had the most post-Olys gold eligible success of any lady since Katt Witt. It's always been the skaters who haven't won Oly gold who have had long careers.

I was just about to post on a variant of this statement.

Zagitova and Kim are the only two skaters (male or female) to have won Junior Worlds, Junior Grand Prix Final, Europeans/4 Continents, Grand Prix Final, Worlds and the Olympics. Not even Hanyu can claim that (he won silver at 4 Continents multiple times).

In addition, Zagitova won a Russian National Championship. Undoubtedly Kim won her national championship as well, but the competition probably wasn't as fierce. To appreciate winning a Russian National Championship, one has to realize that Yagudin never won one.

In baseball parlance, Zagitova's is a first ballot Hall Of Fame career. She has won gold in every major event she has entered.

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
That's a bit harsh. Personally, I found her Olympic long program memorable. Was it artistically sublime? No. Did she pull off an admirable technical feat with enthusiasm, joy, and lots of personality on the biggest stage in skating, while looking pretty darn adorable in her red tutu? I'd say yes.

Yes - very harsh. She achieved a lot in a very short period of time with some memorable performances.

Figure skating seems to be very good at producing shooting stars that burn brightly for a brief period, but then burn out and disappear after only a few years. The ISU need to do a lot more to keep its top performers in the sport for longer. Every sport needs name recognition to build up a following. It’s no good having too much of a here today gone tomorrow situation.

But as for shooting stars, Jim Morrison probably said it best: “I see myself as a huge fiery comet, a shooting star. Everyone stops, points up and gasps "Oh look at that!" Then - whoosh, and I'm gone... and they'll never see anything like it ever again... and they won't be able to forget me - ever.”

Zagitova’s career may have been short, but she left her mark and she will be remembered

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information