NBC Sports Gold figure skating pass - feedback, troubleshooting, pros/cons, etc.

maureenfarone

Last year I was watching NBC Gold pass on my laptop with Chrome browser. Chrome had an update and then I wasn't able to watch Gold pass. I had to allow Flash since the last update to Chrome must turned Flash off (I think :confused:).

DreamSkates

If you connect your phone to your wifi when at home then, no, you aren't using your phone's data limit. I have a Chromecast which is plugged into one of my TV's HDMI ports. the Chromecast also connects to your home wifi. My Chromecast is an older version so the set up was a bit tricky but I think the newer versions are much easier. You can get a Chromecast at pretty much any major electronics store/department for a reasonable price. I love it.
Thanks, worth a try!

morgan rye

from reading replies here it seems like roku works best . i don't have that and last season had a terrible time signing in and then waiting fir it to boot up. signed in so many times it was ridiculous. haven't bought it again. it raised my blood pressure so much i'm not sure it's worth it. had trouble with my laptop and android tabloid. don't think they have done much to fix it this season. too bad nbc has made it the only alternative. and double too bzd the usfs hasn't offered something so people can watch skating. nbc sports gold will kill interest in the sport. amen

Tavi

And I should have paid attention earlier. They even sent me a reminder notice and I can’t watch on my phone, it sends me back to NBC sports gold and then to nbc sports and neither works.

ETA: somehow this dummy managed to activate it on my TV. Still not on my phone but I have a sofa, after all.

Sorry I didn’t see this earlier! If your problem isn’t resolved, maybe this will help:

First, check to make sure that you are using the most recent NBC Sports app on your iPhone - the Sports Gold app is no longer supported, and even an older NBC Sports app previously caused me problems.

Second, check that your subscription was renewed. I wasn’t able to do this on my iPhone app but was able to do so from my laptop. I had my subscription set to auto renew, but I had to update an expired credit card.

Third, if you are already logged in to your Sports Gold account on your iPhone, log out and log back in again. One thing I want to mention, because it was confusing for me, is that there are two different logins in the NBC Sports iPhone app. One (if you have a cable package) is for NBC Sports, and is tied to your cable provider. The other is for NBC Sports Gold, and that’s the one you want to log in to for the figure skating package.

Hopefully you no longer have a problem, but if you still do and these things didn’t help, I’d suggest contacting Sports Gold tech support. I’ve found them very responsive.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
If anyone has xfinity (Comcast), you may have the Sports Gold app on your smart TV. Use your voice remote. Just tell it NBC Sports Gold. When you get to the app, you'll get a code the first time. Just log onto the web site, enter the code, select your device and you're logged in. The streaming has been great and you don't have to close out between events. The app will automatically update when the next event starts.

kittyjake5

Darn I switched to Fios recently from Xfinity. It is not a big deal because for some reason
all of my apps on my Smart TV stopped working about 6 months ago. It tells me I am not
connected to the Internet but all of my other devices work. I even bought an extender to see
if that solved the problem but it did not. Oh well.

DreamSkates

Another possible solution. While using another site, I learned that nbsportsgold also has a lock to the left of the website address. If you click on that, then click settings, you will find it easy to unblock flash and popups. I am hoping that will work for live streaming. I have no problem with event replays.

Sylvia

TBD
I went to NBC Gold to see if they had uploaded any Regionals vids yet (hey, I can dream ;) ) and saw that in addition to the SA events, they have a separate "Practice Cam" event listed for the 17th-19th. So it looks like they'll be broadcasting some practices. :)
Skate America and Skate Canada live streaming event start times in Eastern time are listed now: https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/figure-skating/schedule

Last edited:

laviemn

This is the exact problem I have. It worked well last year but this year nothing. I just tried incognito mode and that worked.

I'm reaching back a month to thank you for the incognito trick. I'd been staring an initializing screen for 10 mins, trying every suggestion I found on Google.

I'm trying the free 2 day trial to see if I want to buy the pass, and I'm amazed by how wonky this platform is.

centerpt1

I sprang for NBC Gold this season, now, when I try to watch today, it says I'm expired. What a rip off. Now that anyone can watch free this weekend-I paid- and can't watch.

skipaway

I sprang for NBC Gold this season, now, when I try to watch today, it says I'm expired. What a rip off. Now that anyone can watch free this weekend-I paid- and can't watch.
NBC Gold app no longer works. Download NBC Sports app and complete the login and you should be able to view.

Willin

I'm reaching back a month to thank you for the incognito trick. I'd been staring an initializing screen for 10 mins, trying every suggestion I found on Google.

I'm trying the free 2 day trial to see if I want to buy the pass, and I'm amazed by how wonky this platform is.
And somehow it's still better than IceNetwork...

centerpt1

Hmmm... not sure. I’d totally log out of the app you’re using and re log in. Maybe it will reset and recognize your subscription.
Logged out, tried through nbc sports app. It still shows as sports gold. Still not recognizing subscription. I,'ll try to contact support. Thanks for trying to help!!!

maureenfarone

Logged out, tried through nbc sports app. It still shows as sports gold. Still not recognizing subscription. I,'ll try to contact support. Thanks for trying to help!!!
I thought I had been billed automatically, but I wasn't and had to purchase the subscription during the International Classic. It sounds like you did purchase the subscription if you watched the Classic so customer support should be able to help. It isn't much, but you can watch whatever you miss on demand.

Lizziebeth

do you still need adobe flash for NBC gold on a desktop with windows 10 and chrome?
replying to myself. I called the toll free number and got someone right away. She told me to shut off my ad blocker plus on chrome :yikes:and it worked. Got the zamboni as I speak. She told me that flash is still needed, but I am pretty sure I have it installed and it has been updated.

Must remember to turn on ad blocker after!!!

Lizziebeth

I will also mention that the stream initialized for a long time. I got a phone call so I did not have time to be made about it. After about five minutes, it started. That is really not acceptable, but it worked out this time.

mollymgr

I hope NBC Sports Gold doesn't do the same for Nationals as they are doing for SKAM where they are one with the NBC feed including commentary.:( I preferred my US Nationals coverage to be fairly interruption free. :angryfire

aftershocks

Banned Member
Now that anyone can watch free this weekend-I paid- and can't watch.

'Anyone can't watch for free' in the U.S. with the geoblock restrictions. At least that's my understanding of the discussion in the ISU livestreaming news thread.

Regarding accessing NBC Gold coverage online, some browsers won't work. Microsoft Edge and Chrome are best AFAIK.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I hope NBC Sports Gold doesn't do the same for Nationals as they are doing for SKAM where they are one with the NBC feed including commentary.:( I preferred my US Nationals coverage to be fairly interruption free. :angryfire

Preach. I was about to throw something at the screen when Tara couldn't be bothered to be quiet during most of the pairs performances, particularly Ash/Timothy's sp. Tara over-anticipates and jabbers too much. It was excruciating. :rolleyes:

I'm sure Tara means well, but she acts like she's overly nervous for the skaters, or else she's in a race to fill every moment of air space during performances. She and Johnny to a degree both need to learn from Ted Barton and make their mostly unhelpful remarks during replays. When skaters are going into difficult elements, we don't need to hear Tara exclaiming about their assets and weaknesses, which ends up feeling like she's jinxing performances. Why talk about a team winning something in the early stages of a sp? Be quiet, please! :drama:

I believe U.S. Nationals 2019 had Mike Weiss and Charlie White doing most of the commentary (or all of it). They also talked a bit too much, but as I recall, they weren't as grating and maybe took a few breaths now and then. Tara could be a better commentator if she would stop trying so hard. She often makes Johnny look bad, as he sometimes has insightful things to say that get run over or just seem forgotten after-thoughts to Tara's noise.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
'Anyone can't watch for free' in the U.S. with the geoblock restrictions. At least that's my understanding of the discussion in the ISU livestreaming news thread.

Regarding accessing NBC Gold coverage online, some browsers won't work. Microsoft Edge and Chrome are best AFAIK.
Chrome usually works great however when I stream to my TV, I generally have better luck streaming from my phone rather than my laptop. Still annoyed that my Xfinity box apparently doesn't support the NBCSportsGold app.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Chrome usually works great however when I stream to my TV, I generally have better luck streaming from my phone rather than my laptop. Still annoyed that my Xfinity box apparently doesn't support the NBCSportsGold app.
do you have the voice remote? Or, if you haven't upgraded the box in a while, you might consider doing so. It's really convenient to just tell the remote to go to NBCsports gold. And the delayed start is tied to NBC sports network TV intro and commercials. They don't go live until the first skater is ready to take the ice. You won't see the first group warm ups.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
do you have the voice remote? Or, if you haven't upgraded the box in a while, you might consider doing so. It's really convenient to just tell the remote to go to NBCsports gold.
Yes, I have a voice remote. I've tried, several times. It's not a big deal since I can stream via my Chromecast.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Forgot my Sports Gold password. I'm trying to reset, but the reset link just takes me to their homepage, and I can't find any reset page on their site. Any tips?

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
That's the weird thing. The browser shows me as already signed in even though I forgot my password, and won't let me sign out, so I can't get to a Forgot My Password page.
Ouch. Can you try a different browser or device? If that doesn’t work, are you ok with deleting cookies? Just find all the ones associated with nbcsports and nuke em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information