Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orm Irian

I can't name the music for Brendan's free skate even though it sounds incredibly familiar, and it's driving me nuts. Help?

(Strong start, bobbly middle, strong finish, lots of character; he wasn't thrilled with how he did but hey, it's the first competition of the year.)

Sylvia

TBD
Excerpt:
One of his star pupils was Miriam Manzano who started skating under the coaching of Reg when she was just 11 years of age. She went on to become the Australian Junior Champion at 15 years, before being crowned National Champion a few years later. Miriam was to become National Champion six times.
Reg coached Miriam for 20 years.
“Reg was very kind and generous. He looked after all his skaters,” she recalls. “Your dreams were his, and he was very driven to ensure we achieved our goals. I loved his old school methods of coaching, and we were very lucky to have him here in Canberra.”

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Thank-you so much

I went to the first day of the Victorian State Championships yesterday, and caught the novice ladies, junior ladies and junior men, senior men, and senior dance.

Most of the skaters struggled with one jump or another, which really highlights skating's many technical challenges. The double Axel in particular, caused a lot of headaches. To their credit, most of the skaters didn't throw away the performance aspect, and gave nice artistic skates.

Anyway, the highlight for me were Holly Harris and Jason Chan. As expected, they were fast, showed a lot of animated facial expression, and packed a lot of difficult content into their performance. This team is the real deal.

It was a privilege to see the performance I caught online in Canada live and in person.

Marks for their Rhythm Dance were not available for public access, which makes me think this competition served as a test skate for international competition qualification. The President of Ice Skating Australia was in attendance as well, which probably reinforces that thought.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Excerpt:

Miriam was also one of those rare skaters who started late and peaked in her twenties. I remember back in the late 1980s, a team from Canberra came to Melbourne to skate at a local competition. Most, if not all the athletes from there competing, were coached by Park.

Reg Park really was the father of figure skating in Canberra.

barbarafan

I went to the first day of the Victorian State Championships yesterday, and caught the novice ladies, junior ladies and junior men, senior men, and senior dance.

Most of the skaters struggled with one jump or another, which really highlights skating's many technical challenges. The double Axel in particular, caused a lot of headaches. To their credit, a lot of the skaters didn't throw away the performance aspect, and gave nice artistic skates.

Anyway, the highlight for me were Holly Harris and Jason Chan. As expected, they were fast, showed a lot of animated facial expression, and packed a lot of difficult content into their performance. This team is the real deal.

It was a privilege to see the performance I caught online in Canada live and in person.

Marks for their Rhythm Dance were not available for public access, which makes me think this competition served as a test skate for international competition qualification. The President of Ice Skating Australia was in attendance as well, which probably reinforces that thought.
thanks for the news. will you be there for the FD? They did not perform that in quebec.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

Most of the skaters struggled with one jump or another, which really highlights skating's many technical challenges. The double Axel in particular, caused a lot of headaches. To their credit, most of the skaters didn't throw away the performance aspect, and gave nice artistic skates.

The Pres of ISA was there because his wife was on the Tech Panel.

As for Holly and Jason it was not a test skate. But I can't say much as I am involved. However best not to make assumptions. If you want further information ask me privately.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

The Pres of ISA was there because his wife was on the Tech Panel.

As for Holly and Jason it was not a test skate. But I can't say much as I am involved. However best not to make assumptions. If you want further information ask me privately.

No thanks.

Now I just feel hurt and sad.

nicklaszlo

I just watched Holly Harris and Jason Chan's senior free dance. It was great! This was their first performance of the free and Holly told me they only had two weeks to practice. They have made excellent progress for such a short time. The dance was quite complete. The free dance lifts were much better than the short dance lift.

They are a cute and promising team.

If marks were not online, check back later. Usually there's a delay.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I just watched Holly Harris and Jason Chan's senior free dance. It was great! This was their first performance of the free and Holly told me they only had two weeks to practice. They have made excellent progress for such a short time. The dance was quite complete. The free dance lifts were much better than the short dance lift.

Thank you for your report. Here's hoping this skate gets them an international, and potentially, Four Continents / World Qualification scores.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

There will be no official marks for this event.

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Thank you for your report. Here's hoping this skate gets them an international, and potentially, Four Continents / World Qualification scores.

Calm down, they have to go through Nationals first. It would be nice to send three teams to 4CC.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I don't want to get my hopes up, but Holly Harris and Jason Chan have been added to the group of Australian representatives proposed for the CS Warsaw Cup on ISA's international assignments excel spreadsheet.

It should be noted that there is a symbol beside their entry which refers to the key (⌘ Special Permission Granted by ISA Board.)

Here's hoping that the CS Warsaw Cup Event Overview page is also updated with this information soon, too.

barbarafan

I don't want to get my hopes up, but Holly Harris and Jason Chan have been added to the group of Australian representatives proposed for the CS Warsaw Cup on ISA's international assignments excel spreadsheet.

It should be noted that there is a symbol beside their entry which refers to the key (⌘ Special Permission Granted by ISA Board.)

Here's hoping that the CS Warsaw Cup Event Overview page is also updated with this information soon, too.

Yay!!....Mtl Ice Academy already has 5 teams attending so coaches will be there in force. Hope they go too.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Good news.

For the time being the ISU have got their act together and are allowing Australia to view the Skate Canada livestream (which is also stored for playback). Links below:

RoseRed

hi....I noticed that Brendan Kerry had Lee Barkell in the kiss n cry.Have their been changes to his training situation?
No inside info, but his bio was updated recently with 2019-20 programs and changing the choreographers from Nikolai and Florent to just Nikolai, so it seems to be up to date. And it lists Nikolai Morozov as his only coach. So I would guess that Lee was just sitting with him since Nikolai couldn't be there for whatever reason.

barbarafan

No inside info, but his bio was updated recently with 2019-20 programs and changing the choreographers from Nikolai and Florent to just Nikolai, so it seems to be up to date. And it lists Nikolai Morozov as his only coach. So I would guess that Lee was just sitting with him since Nikolai couldn't be there for whatever reason.
Thank-you
I remember when Marie-france & (patch I think or Roman)flight was cancelled or seriously delayed and Brian Orser played coach to V/M at their practice at a competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information