2019-2020 Programs and Choreographers

Colonel Green

I don't know all the music being used, but do we have Hello Dolly? Wicked? Lion King? The King and I? Les Miserables? A Chorus Line? Oklahoma? Rock of Ages? Ain't Too Proud To Beg? The Music Man? Little Shop of Horrors? Company? Fiddler on the Roof? ANYTHING Andrew Lloyd Weber?
There are two junior teams doing The King and I (Bashynska/Beaumont and Lavrova/Gart, and one doing A Chorus Line (Yoshida/Nishiyama).

aftershocks

Banned Member
They used the remake soundtrack though. I think it's one of John Williams's most underrated soundtracks. It's gorgeous.

Oh yeah, the remake was with Harrison Ford and Julia Ormond. I prefer the 1954 film in terms of the acting and storyline. Ormond is a good actor, but she was miscast IMO in this film.

And for a switch, Sabrina, the Teenage Witch ;)

Dobre

What’s the most notable musical MIA from the Broadway RD this year? I’m not an expert on BPM or anything, but I’m surprised that nobody has done Hamilton, considering how popular it is.

Rent.

There were a whole slew of people here recommending it. My guess is that it doesn't work for the Finnstep. Hamilton doesn't surprise me as much because it is based on a figure in U.S. History (Though it is an awesome play).

I really wanted Book of Mormon, but the lyrics to most songs would make it tricky. I wanted Newsies too.

I don't know all the music being used, but do we have Hello Dolly? Wicked? Lion King? The King and I? Les Miserables? A Chorus Line? Oklahoma? Rock of Ages? Ain't Too Proud To Beg? The Music Man? Little Shop of Horrors? Company? Fiddler on the Roof? ANYTHING Andrew Lloyd Weber?

We have Hello Dolly (Hurtado & Khaliavin), The King & I (Bashynska & Beaumont and Lavrova & Gart), A Chorus Line (Yoshida & Nishiyama and the lesser known Russian team from Lombardia), and I do think someone has Cats.

We have no Pirates of Penzance as far as I know or even any Gilbert & Sullivan. I don't remember seeing any South Pacific, Oklahoma, Music Man, or Carousel.

But, by golly, we have about 8 42nd Streets, 7 Singing in the Rains, 6 Cabarets, 4 Bonnie & Clydes, and 4 Too Darn Hots. Also a number of Puttin On the Ritzes and New York, New Yorks.

Orm Irian

What’s the most notable musical MIA from the Broadway RD this year? I’m not an expert on BPM or anything, but I’m surprised that nobody has done Hamilton, considering how popular it is.

I think the complete lack of Gilbert and Sullivan is a surprise, as is the fact that nobody has gone for opera or operettas such as The Merry Widow. I'd have expected someone to try Les Mis and Hamilton (you could probably set the Finnstep to 'Helpless' if nothing else), My Fair Lady and/or Camelot. The OBC recording probably came out too late for anyone to consider doing Hadestown. I'm also genuinely surprised nobody went with Buddy - just set the Finnstep to 'Oh Boy' or 'Rock Around with Ollie Vee' and you're home and hosed.

Colonel Green

and I do think someone has Cats.
There's at least two -- Andreeva/Desyatov, which we haven't seen yet because they're evidently injured, and a Japanese junior team who are competing in JGP Poland.

While it obviously won't fit the RD in future seasons, I wonder if Bonnie & Clyde will gain popularity going forward. I can't recall anybody using this previously, but I can see the characters being popular for both free dances and for pairs programs.

Last edited:

Japanfan

They look great and the choreo is charming... but that music is awful! It's one-dimensional, repetitive, and drowns their skating. I can only hope they'll pull a Tuktamysheva and change the music, keep the choreography.

I like the music - find it soothing. But they'll really need to have choreography that brings it life, otherwise the audience will just stop paying attention to it.

lauravvv

I was thinking that Thoroughly Modern Millie would make a great program for a team that liked the old-school Broadway sound. And you could do a :kickass: costume change to it.
The Finnish team Turkkila/Versluis are using 'Thoroughly Modern Millie' for their RD, but we haven't seen it yet, as they withdrew from Lombardia Trophy.

mkokos82

Natalia Kaliszek / Maksym Spodyriev (POL)
RD: Kinky Boots
FD: Dirty Dancing *

* it's not clear if they will reuse their FD from 2016/17 or use different pieces from the soundtrack

jmtfti

While it obviously won't fit the RD in future seasons, I wonder if Bonnie & Clyde will gain popularity going forward. I can't recall anybody using this previously, but I can see the characters being popular for both free dances and for pairs programs.

A past BC team, Alexa Linden and Addison Voldeng, used it for their blues SD back in 2016-17 -- I'm a little surprised this many years have passed before a slew of teams (re)discovered it only because they needed a musical to draw from.

screech

God, looking through the list of "Best Musical" winners and nominees from the Tony awards - so many fantastic soundtracks that have likely been overlooked (again, I don't know everything being used):

Bye Bye Birdie, Funny Girl, Sweeney Todd, The Who's Tommy, The Producers, Mamma Mia, Spamalot, Million Dollar Quartet, Xanadu (I totally could have seen Gilles/Poirier doing this one), Sister Act, Spongebob Squarepants (a surprisingly good soundtrack), Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (bonus points if every single colour listed when describing the coat would be used in the costume), An American in Paris, School of Rock, Oliver! (An instrumental version of the song "Consider Yourself" used to be used for the Fourteenstep way back in the 90s, at least in Ontario. Whenever I hear it now, I still do the dance. Fun fact - the song was sung by future Monkee Davy Jones in his 1963 Tony nominated performance as the Artful Dodger)... and it also would have been awesome if teams worked with actors from the shows, a la Torvill and Dean in their spectacular Barnum routine in 1983 (straight 6.0 before Bolero) where Michael Crawford, who originated the role on the West End became part of their coaching team (before he started 'haunting' opera houses)

RoseRed

A past BC team, Alexa Linden and Addison Voldeng, used it for their blues SD back in 2016-17 -- I'm a little surprised this many years have passed before a slew of teams (re)discovered it only because they needed a musical to draw from.
There was a pairs team using it last year I believe. Ghilardi/Ambrosini in their FS.

BlueOrange

This a clear overview of all schedules of the season, and assignements of Japanese skaters and ice dancers.
At the end there is a summary of the 2019-20 season schedule.

PS: This is surely the wrong thread but I don't know to which thread this overview belongs.

Dobre

While it obviously won't fit the RD in future seasons, I wonder if Bonnie & Clyde will gain popularity going forward.

I've seen several. I never liked any of them before this season. I think the music may mostly have been from the film or something else?

S

SmallFairy

Isn’t Ólafur Arnalds from Iceland? He’s great, I’m really looking forward to this Will check out Blakk later.

chantilly

Blakk's piece is spoken word poetry. I listened to most of it.

I listened to snippets of Arnald's music.

In concept this FD is a very unique and avant grade approach, although I will say from the snippets of the music I heard, the style isn't exactly a departure for them. But that concept is going to be a challenge to make work. I agree that they are likely the only team that could pull something like this off.

It'll be interesting to see. And see how the judges respond.

muffinplus

Gabriella Papadakis / Guillaume Cizeron
FD:

Blakk's piece is spoken word poetry. I listened to most of it.

I listened to snippets of Arnald's music.

In concept this FD is a very unique and avant grade approach, although I will say from the snippets of the music I heard, the style isn't exactly a departure for them. But that concept is going to be a challenge to make work. I agree that they are likely the only team that could pull something like this off.

It'll be interesting to see. And see how the judges respond.

I'm not crazy about this "spoken word" music TBH. But we shall see....

Gris

不做奴才做公民
At this point I'm not very optimistic since this program can easily become some ... monotonous voiceover from start to finish but if they manage to pull it off it would be incredible.

So, either masterpiece or bust I guess.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Forest Blakk's poetry/lyrics are unbelievably trite. Listening to these pieces, I don't know whether to cringe or laugh hysterically. Papadakis and Cizeron skating to that is like Gustav Klimt intentionally copying the "style" of Thomas Kinkade.

I love P/C and their Fame program will likely be my favorite RD they've ever done. Maybe I'll enjoy the FD at some point in the season. If so, I'll be the first to apologize for this post.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Rent.

There were a whole slew of people here recommending it. My guess is that it doesn't work for the Finnstep. Hamilton doesn't surprise me as much because it is based on a figure in U.S. History (Though it is an awesome play).

We have Hello Dolly (Hurtado & Khaliavin), The King & I (Bashynska & Beaumont and Lavrova & Gart), A Chorus Line (Yoshida & Nishiyama and the lesser known Russian team from Lombardia), and I do think someone has Cats.

We have no Pirates of Penzance as far as I know or even any Gilbert & Sullivan. I don't remember seeing any South Pacific, Oklahoma, Music Man, or Carousel.

But, by golly, we have about 8 42nd Streets, 7 Singing in the Rains, 6 Cabarets, 4 Bonnie & Clydes, and 4 Too Darn Hots. Also a number of Puttin On the Ritzes and New York, New Yorks.

As I was saying in another thread, no Slaughter on 10th Avenue, nor Dirty Dancing, Rent (as you mentioned), Footloose, On the Town, Damn Yankees, Dreamgirls, Motown: The Musical, Gigi, Bye Bye Birdie, Swing Time, An American in Paris, Beautiful: The Carole King Musical... And I'm not aware of a Chicago or a selection from The Great Gatsby. La La Land is so two seasons ago and already overused. Lin Manuel Miranda created In the Heights before he brainstormed Hamilton, but the former is probably not well known enough with readily recognizable music. Evita has been used often in skating, as has Beauty & the Beast, Miss Saigon, and Phantom of the Opera.

Not all of these may have been easily thought of, and the more obscure may not have seemed accessible/recognizable to the judges. As you say, there may also not have been the best musical selections in these musicals to fit the Finnstep, even should any of these possibilities have been considered.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

As I was saying in another thread, no Slaughter on 10th Avenue, nor Dirty Dancing, Rent (as you mentioned), Footloose, On the Town, Damn Yankees, Dreamgirls, Motown: The Musical, Gigi, Bye Bye Birdie, Swing Time, An American in Paris, Beautiful: The Carole King Musical... And I'm not aware of a Chicago or a selection from The Great Gatsby.
Dirty Dancing, An American in Paris, Chicago and The Great Gatsby have all been used in juniors (though the last of those should not be eligible, which is presumably why Shevchenko/Eremenko aborted their plan to use it).

Komatsubara/Koleto are doing Dreamgirls, though of course we haven't seen it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information