Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco

Any news on Kailani? I haven't been able to find anything. There is so much technique to fix still... but everything else was beautiful.

mag

I wish Kailani would go to a new choreographer (a new coach as well.) She could be so much better with more sophisticated choreography. It can still be fun, just better. Also, there is no way Tiffany Chin is ever going to fix the technical issues.

Seerek

Is this Victoria Alcantara's first season training in Toronto? She's new to Junior this season (national novice medalist last year).

platniumangel

I wish Kailani would go to a new choreographer (a new coach as well.) She could be so much better with more sophisticated choreography. It can still be fun, just better. Also, there is no way Tiffany Chin is ever going to fix the technical issues.

Where does she train?

Sylvia

TBD
Is this Victoria Alcantara's first season training in Toronto? She's new to Junior this season (national novice medalist last year).
According to her ISU bio, Victoria previously trained with Katherine Firkin in Melbourne, who is listed as her choreographer this season, so I assume her relocation to Toronto and Karen Preston is fairly recent: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00107878.htm
Trivia: Firkin currently is working as a CBS news reporter in NYC; she previously was a 3-time Australian national medalist ice dancer & international competitor with Henri Du Pont: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013037.htm

Here's Alcantara's 11th place (50.96) Swan Lake SP in Lake Placid (3Lo, 3S+2T, 2A & two L4 spins): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-N06eLZWvc

ETA: Darian Kaptich really impressed me both as a skater and person in Lake Placid... I'll post more about him later.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Katherine moved to the US from Melbourne at the start of the year.

Victoria moved to Juniors after Oceania in May. Hollins was her first Junior competition.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

In Lake Placid, Alcantara earned the short program qualification TES score necessary to compete at the World Junior Championships.

Too bad she flubbed both double lutz attempts in the free skate, as she was within decimal points of earning the required TES score in that segment as well.

Having said this, I am very impressed with this skater and that she is already making her mark in the junior ranks, having only moved up from the novice division this year.

(Ted Barton was also impressed with her level of performance, which was encouraging to hear.)

I am looking forward to seeing Amelie Tabor compete at the ISU Junior Grand Prix - Chelyabinsk in several weeks time, too. She is another skater who has just moved up from the advanced novice division.

It should be noted, Amelie also has a competitive triple salchow, triple loop, and triple lutz.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

ETA: Darian Kaptich really impressed me both as a skater and person in Lake Placid... I'll post more about him later.

Darian has really improved this season, and seems to be working hard. Here's hoping he gets the required TES needed to compete at the World Junior Championships this season, too.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I did love Victoria's programs at Hollins. Amelie Tabor is also quite delightful. It's nice to see so many of our skaters going out on the JGP! Here's the list for the rest of the JGP thus far:

JGP Russia: Andy Yao, Amelie Tabor
JGP Poland: Alexandra Fladun-Dorling/Christopher Fladun-Dorling (dance)

The entries for JGP Italy aren't out yet.

starrynight

I really missed seeing them compete at Four Continents and the World Championships last season.

Here's hoping they are injury-free, trained, and ready to go.

I saw that Harley posted an instagram photo geo-tagged in Montreal, so I wonder if they are back training in Canada?

Princessroja

I loved Victoria Alcantara, she had such joy while skating. I hope she gets another chance to get the LP TES because she was so darn close.

Australia is very good about sending out their athletes as much as possible during the year. I'd be surprised indeed if they didn't send her out again, and probably very soon too.

Just checked the fed's assignment page and she's signed up for a comp in Asia next month and one in Slovakia in December, so we'll see her again!

Orm Irian

I saw that Harley posted an instagram photo geo-tagged in Montreal, so I wonder if they are back training in Canada?

They may be, as he recently posted another photo from there.

By the way, has anyone heard whether SBS will be streaming the GP and other major championships again this season?

Orm Irian

He’s only 14 years old, but SA figure skater Andy Yao — who makes his international debut in Russia [Chelyabinsk JGP] this week — has skills beyond his years: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/dbc1d6bd2ebcad1ebe576979cd421521

Poor Andy had a rough time of it in the SP - falls on all three jumping passes - but still had a big beaming smile at the end of it, and he's got really nice hands and arms. Between him and James Min Adelaide is well represented amongst Aussie junior figure skaters!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Poor Andy had a rough time of it in the SP - falls on all three jumping passes - but still had a big beaming smile at the end of it, and he's got really nice hands and arms. Between him and James Min Adelaide is well represented amongst Aussie junior figure skaters!

Great to see Andy regroup and come back strong in the free skate. He went for everything, too, which was great to see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information