Royalty Thread #9. Welcome Archie, the red headed heir, don’t care!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Japanfan

What good does it do a child to know that out there somewhere out there is a "donor" to whom she is genetically related?

The topic might come up during a discussion of why a child is so different from her/his dad. Or someone might slip up and mention that the sperm was donated.

I don't know anything about sperm donation. But I don't think children whose biological father donated sperm have access to information about the donor, if it is even available. Perhaps such information should be available.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I don't know anything about sperm donation. But I don't think children whose biological father donated sperm have access to information about the donor, if it is even available. Perhaps such information should be available.

A lot has changed in recent years regarding adoption and sperm donation - I wouldn't assume anything at this point.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
My understanding is, like adoption, it is best if the child never know when or how they learned the information only that they have always known. A friend of my mom says that she does not remember ever not knowing she was adopted. There were baby and toddler books in her home where the child was adopted, her mom often referred to her as “her beautiful, wonderful, adopted daughter.” It certainly demonstrates the importance of books and other cultural information showing families of all sorts, not as the theme or to make a point, but just in an everyday fashion.

To bring this back to Royalty, wouldn’t it have been nice if there were lots of books, movies, and tv shows where mixed race families were shown without making a fuss or point - just showing the world as it actually is? Meghan has spoken of feeling like she didn’t belong in either world, as has Trevor Noah. That would be a scary thing for a child. There are so many children conceived by IVF, why not just present that as yet another “normal” way for children to come into the world?
Tbsrd
The topic might come up during a discussion of why a child is so different from her/his dad. Or someone might slip up and mention that the sperm was donated.

I don't know anything about sperm donation. But I don't think children whose biological father donated sperm have access to information about the donor if it is even available. Perhaps such information should be available.
I don't know if the sperm done information is available. Kids wi donate sperm in college for money surely don't want to be contacted.

But it won't come up in conversation if you don't tell people. The doner sperm is selected by the parents and one thing they screen for is physical characteristic. Like all births it is the luck of the draw....a simple answer is yeah...odd isn't it.

MLIS

Can we please, please drop this?

In news actually related to the royals, I highly recommend the Fug Girls' Royals Round-up on Friday afternoons. Great pictures, links to interesting articles, and lively, respectful discussion in the comments section (one of the few sites on the web where I read the comments!). They mostly cover the British royals, particularly Kate and Meghan, but not exclusively. So many royals are on vacation right now, there's not much news, but they always find something interesting to share.

MsZem

I see the sea
In news actually related to the royals, I highly recommend the Fug Girls' Royals Round-up on Friday afternoons. Great pictures, links to interesting articles, and lively, respectful discussion in the comments section (one of the few sites on the web where I read the comments!). They mostly cover the British royals, particularly Kate and Meghan, but not exclusively. So many royals are on vacation right now, there's not much news, but they always find something interesting to share.
I tried recommending it two weeks ago, hopefully your post will meet with greater success than mine. The royal roundup is great fun :)

(Except for their referring to royal kids as noodles, muffins, or noodlemuffins)

MLIS

They're also really bad about pregnancy speculation based on the smallest physical changes in a woman's body, and/or her recent marriage. Not the Fug Girls themselves all the time, but it's definitely rampant in the comments and they don't shut it down (whereas they do jump on any other weight-related chat). But overall I really enjoy it. (Also love their Fugs and Pieces, also on Friday afternoons, but that's not royalty related!)

mag

With most Royals enjoying a summer break, news seems a little thin. Not that that will stop journalists from writing.

“The absolute last thing it needs is Harry or other headline-gobbling Royals swanning around like celebrity flibbertigibbets poking their noses into politically divisive battles. Truly embracing and living the fight against climate change would be another thing entirely, but there’s no evidence the Duke and Duchess have any interest in that whatsoever.”

aftershocks

Banned Member
It would seem that the DoS was more than a "figurehead" for the Vogue project:

Right, but that's not surprising. There are plenty of pre-Harry Youtube videos of Meghan (if you can wade through the accumulated dross and trivia) that reveal, often directly from Meghan in interviews and features, how hands-on she has always been when it comes to being involved with worthwhile projects. She's often spoken about ensuring she is more than just symbolically involved in lending her name to projects. She's spoken about this specifically in relation to her work with U.N. Women and One World Vision - Canada, as well as written about her hands-on work ethic in essays and on her former Tig website. One of Meghan's famous quotes: "I've always wanted to be a woman who works, not a woman who lunches..." :respec:

For those who are interested, I came across this very informative Youtube video about SmartWorks, put together by a British Youtube entrepreneur named Lydia Elise Millen. Ms. Millen does not directly mention the Duchess of Sussex, but perhaps she learned of the charity through Meghan's involvement, and was inspired to feature the charity on her channel in order to help British women who are in need of this empowering resource that has helped and is helping so many women in Britain who were down on their luck, to get back on their feet and feel good about themselves. Ms. Millen spends the day at SmartWorks, talking to the founders and to some of the women who have been helped. Bring your handkerchiefs. This is very positive and engaging viewing. :)

I look forward to seeing the results of the capsule fashion collection Meghan will be working on in collaboration with high-end fashion brands and retailers to assist SmartWorks in beefing up their wardrobe selection resources. :cheer2: Meanwhile, British Vogue September 2019 issue is apparently no longer available for hard-copy pre-order online. I bet that some people have ordered multiple copies (to probably sell on ebay), especially since this issue is going to become a collector's item. It may even be difficult to find copies of the issue at local Barnes & Noble bookstores, since they don't typically get following month issues in U.S. stores for weeks. Of course, the coveted issue is available for download, but that's not the same as having a hard copy.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I love hand written thank you notes. I have read that Diana was religious about writing them and I am very glad to hear Meghan does as well.

Meghan has talked about her love of handwritten notes in interviews, on her former Instagram, and on her Tig website. She even demonstrated her calligraphy talent during a Suits-related interview with Larry King, that she and Patrick J. Adams did a few years ago (it's probably still available on Youtube). Again, the more informative Meghan interviews and features on Youtube pre-Harry, are harder to locate due to all the pure crap and drivel that has accumulated on Youtube about Meghan, since she married into the royal family.

There is a weekly show from Australia entitled, Royal Insiders. The young host (Belinda Russell) and the older royal commentator, Juliet Rieden, are generally balanced and fair. Plus, they cover interesting topics about some of the other royals, although much of the conversation is centered around the Sussexes. Still, they don't spend the entire broadcast on the Sussexes. We learn from Rieden that the write-ups stating Frogmore Cottage was sound-proofed are false. Rieden also shoots down the claim that a yoga studio with a floating floor was constructed as part of the Frogmore renovations. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbLSXeCQNP4 July 4 episode Fab Four split the Royal Foundation, but Rieden downplays rumors of rifts; Prince Philip's birthday; Frogmore Cottage expenses; upcoming royal tours, etc.

When they talk about cost of the Frogmore Cottage renovations, they unfortunately perpetuate the fiction that taxpayers funded the cost of the renovations. It has recently been made clear in some published accounts that royal residential renovations are paid for from the privy purse, i.e., the Sovereign's income generated from the Duchy of Lancaster. Monies from the privy purse also benefit the British people as managed by the government. The remainder of privy purse funds are in part used for expenses related to upkeep of all the palaces and royal residences, which includes Frogmore Cottage. So, the funds to renovate Frogmore were provided from the privy purse, with Meghan and Harry paying for any renovation costs beyond those budgeted, in addition to paying for their own furnishings and interior decoration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4_KubQC-nU July 12 Archie's christening; Cambridges & Sussexes at polo; Queen does her own tree planting while on an official engagement, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BILun0RoLE July 19 Meghan at Wimbledon; Sussexes at Lion King premiere; Duchess Camilla in Cornwall; Counting the Queen's Swans; etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crPucPgud6Y July 25 Prince George's birthday photos; Cambridges on holiday; Prince Harry & Dr. Jane Goodall; tour of Clarence House; Buckingham Palace exhibition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktHcnEVcRVA Aug 2 About the British Vogue issue; QE-II in Scotland; the Monaco royal wedding

A well-written article about the Duchess of Sussex by Juliet Rieden:

aftershocks

Banned Member
There are reports that the September 2019 issue of British Vogue has sold out on newsstands across the U.K. There were lines of people who queued up at vendor locations in the U.K. when the issue went on sale August 2 (this phenomenon was probably reported by news stations in the U.K.) -- I saw this mentioned by a poster on the Sussex Instagram account.

By August 2nd, the issue was already no longer available to U.S. customers for pre-order on online vendor websites. The question is whether copies of the issue will still be shipped for sale to regular vendors in the U.S., such as Barnes & Noble -- possibly not. As I said earlier, it's obvious that money hungry people have gobbled up multiple issues in order to resell at exorbitant prices. It's being reported that some online vendors have already jacked up their prices, and issues have already been sold for high sums on ebay. This for a magazine issue that has only just been published:

The sad thing is that people (even Meghan haters) are eager to make money off of her, without ever truly understanding the real significance of her appeal and popularity among the general populace. Meghan is the real deal. She is someone who knows who she is, and has remained true to herself in the face of out-sized, worldwide fame. She is motivated by good intentions and a positive desire to give back. In that light, the actual issue is not as important as the message she is intent upon sending and advocating for: the importance of helping others and being a force for change.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Today is the Duchess of Sussex's 38th birthday. Reportedly, the Queen is throwing a special tea party for Meghan (accompanied by Harry & Archie -- and probably some other family members) at Balmoral castle in Scotland:

Meanwhile, Prince Anne, The Princess Royal's birthday is on August 15th. Here's a 2010 video of Peter & Zara Phillips wishing their mother happy birthday and lightheartedly celebrating her many strengths:

When asked whether their mother having a free spirit, allows them to be free spirits, they both responded affirmatively. Per Peter Phillips:
"... I think it stems from - it will go all the way back to her having the choice of whether or not to give us titles. And she quite rightly said, 'No.' ... I think that goes back to her parents giving her the freedom to choose ... Never being afraid to ask the question."

Zara Phillips:
"She's definitely our mother. I mean that in the best way that she's looked after us, supported us, taught us everything she knows, and allowed us to learn our way ... and learn the hard way..."

Peter Phillips:
"We've certainly learned from [our] mistakes. In that way, she's let us get on with things, stumble if we stumble, pick ourselves up... Her advice has been invaluable. Whenever we may have got slightly above our station, she'd be the first one to bring us back down to earth, fairly hard. And if we were feeling pretty down about something, she'd be the first one to be there saying, 'You've got all this in front of you, why are you feeling so down?' She's just been there and given the right advice the whole time.'"

Zara Phillips:
"If I was going to be a mother, that's what I would want to be like. I'd like to be as good a mother as she's been to us."

Some footage from Zara's wedding to Mike Tindall in Edinburgh, in 2011:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKPMU92fgKU part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKqli_uiHE8 part 2

canbelto

It's Meghan's birthday. If you guys want some grizzly amusement, check out the meltdowns that happened when kensingtonroyal instagram wished Meghan a happy birthday:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@mag The National Post will use any excuse to raise "questions" about climate change, including attacking public figures who dare to e.g. drive in cars and use electricity while being concerned about the earth. This is just another example of their idiocy.

aftershocks

Banned Member
If you guys want some grizzly amusement, check out the meltdowns that happened when kensingtonroyal instagram wished Meghan a happy birthday

No thanks! As DoS Meghan would say: "NO BAD ENERGY!"

So the reports about a 'tea party' at Balmoral for Meghan were erroneous assumptions. Some reporters had suspected the Sussexes would be quietly celebrating at their Frogmore home in Windsor. Although, it's possible the Sussexes may spend time at Balmoral this month, when a tea party celebration could still occur, especially since Princess Anne's birthday is August 15th.

Last edited:

Lorac

I was a little intrigued to see if the Vogue magazine guest edited by Meghan was flying off the stands like some have implied so I went into 3 newsagents - WH Smith, McColls and Martins as well as the checking the magazine aisle in Morrisons where I park cause it's free for 2 hours - whilst changing my library books in my Staffordshire town. Luckily all newsagents are a short walk from each other and on my route to the library. All of them had a couple of copies on the shelves in the spot designated for Vogue which is normal as all other magazines such as Cosmopolitan and Elle have their set spots and also had 2 or 3 copies in their available slots as well.

First thing I noted was that there was a sticker on the front stating that this issue was on sale for £2 instead of the regular £3.99 - in all shops I went in which struck me as interesting - that's all I'll say to that.

Then there were 60 pages of adverts before the table of contents was reached, then another 20 or so to the editors welcome letter. I then did a quick flick through the magazine and saw advert after advert for Prada, Givenchy, Yves Saint Laurent etc - all high end and way out of my and many others reach.

I then flicked to the pages of the women on the front. Well if anyone is expecting an in depth or even short interview with any of these woman you are going to be bitterly disappointed. Each woman gets a single page of which at least 75% is filled with a back and white picture of said lady and there is a small paragraph of approx. 100 words about each lady with in most part 2 or 3 short sentences from each lady stating not much at all. Jacinda Ardern had the most written about here but even that amounted to not much. And for all of the pictures except - Greta Thunberg and maybe Jacinda Ardern - had at the end of each paragraph an explanation of the outfits they wore, who made it and how much it was and the makeup they had on - all designer clothes with the prices in the £1000's!!! This was suppose to be articles about women who are forces for change yet there was nothing I was inspired by the even take out £2 and buy the magazine mainly cause there was so little written about them.

Meghan missed a trick here - it would have been better for her to highlight more of the charities she and Harry are supporting that are trying to make change in their small corners of the world. Instead Vogue are using her name to try to sell more copies of a magazine that is really pretty outdated in it's content and not aimed at trying to change the world one iota!!

aftershocks

Banned Member
Focusing on putdowns and negatives is so commonplace. Part of the 'daily darkness' I believe Meghan is speaking about wishing to change by shedding more positive light on people in the world who seek to find solutions instead of looking for things to complain about.

The format of British Vogue was not going to change. As an unprecedented guest editor, Meghan worked within the format, unsurprisingly. I've heard good things about the issue, and I hope to be able to purchase a copy if/when I can find one in the U.S.

Japanfan

Focusing on putdowns and negatives is so commonplace. Part of the 'daily darkness' I believe Meghan is speaking about wishing to change by shedding more positive light on people in the world who seek to find solutions instead of looking for things to complain about.

The format of British Vogue was not going to change. As an unprecedented guest editor, Meghan worked within the format, unsurprisingly. I've heard good things about the issue, and I hope to be able to purchase a copy if/when I can find one in the U.S.

If this issue was to be about women who are 'forces for change', more than two or three sentences about each was warranted. IMO. An explanation of their outfits and make-up is kind of an insult, IMO.

Perhaps Megan, as guest editor, could have requested more space for information about the women. The format could have been changed for this special issue, which is already becoming a collector's item.

RoseRed

If this issue was to be about women who are 'forces for change', more than two or three sentences about each was warranted. IMO. An explanation of their outfits and make-up is kind of an insult, IMO.

Perhaps Megan, as guest editor, could have requested more space for information about the women. The format could have been changed for this special issue, which is already becoming a collector's item.
Not that I disagree necessarily, but it's Vogue. It would be weird to not explain their outfits. Not sure why people are surprised that was done.

mag

Focusing on putdowns and negatives is so commonplace.

Not all criticism is “putdowns and negatives.” As most of us have not actually read the issue, we can’t know for sure if the criticism is warranted. One thing I have noticed is that the catch phrases like “shedding light” and “daily darkness” are sometimes used as a way to deflect honest, constructive criticism. As far as I know, this was Meghan’s first attempt at editing a magazine. There is a lot that goes into that and it requires a huge amount of work and skill. Most editors spend many years in school and then working their way through the ranks, before they become editors. Now obviously, Meghan has done neither of those things and would not be doing the full job of an editor. I would be completely shocked if the magazine did not have a number of areas where improvements could be made. I really hope Meghan is open to the feedback she gets on this venture. This is another learning curve to add to the many that Meghan is working through since becoming a royal.

IMHO, Meghan should be proud of her first editing attempt. No one is perfect and making mistakes, listening to others, and trying again, is how we learn and grow. I think this could be a great opportunity for Meghan to grow and expand her skills.

aftershocks

Banned Member

I'll wait to see the issue for myself, and ultimately make my own judgments after I see it. But seriously, once again, I don't think the purpose of Meghan's guest-editorship was for her to dramatically change the format of the magazine. Apparently, the cover feature was designed to briefly highlight the work of the selected women, with the expectation that interested readers would look beyond the magazine to find out more about the causes these women support, and/or to be inspired by the work they are doing which could not be detailed in-depth for all 15 women within the pages of what is essentially a monthly fashion magazine.

Without having seen it, the format of the British Vogue feature seems to me similar to U.S. Vogue's monthly 'People Are Talking About' brief spotlight on meaningful trends and on innovative movers-and-shakers in various fields (literature, fashion, design, art, journalism, science, filmmaking, academia, etc). In recent years, I haven't been a regular reader of any Vogue edition, but I'm definitely interested in seeing and reading this new British Vogue issue.

I saw a video report where it was mentioned that Meghan had pointed out, yes there are all these ads in the pages, some of which may not be in tandem with the 'Forces for Change' message, but the ads are part of what it takes to produce the magazine. So Meghan focused her energies on what she could do with the editorial content, instead of lamenting over the plethora of ads.

aftershocks

Banned Member
One thing I have noticed is that the catch phrases like “shedding light” and “daily darkness” are sometimes used as a way to deflect honest, constructive criticism.

Well, that's your perception then. "Shedding light" and "daily darkness" I put in quotes because those are Meghan's actual words, not mine. I truly don't think she is focused on worrying about excessive naysayer criticism. Constructive criticism is another thing entirely, which I haven't really seen much of being directed toward the Duchess of Sussex in this thread, much less on social media.

In a recent posting on the Mad About Meghan blog, positive details were mentioned about less highlighted aspects of the September issue of British Vogue:

"... the September issue marked a change for the magazine, becoming the first print issue wrapped in a fully compostable film derived from potato starch and plastic free. The publication has pledged to 'reduce avoidable, harmful waste.'"

The Duchess of Sussex included in the issue the full text of one of her favorite poems, which led the writer, Matt Haig, to exclaim his surprise, delight and gratitude on Instagram. The poem, "A Note From the Beach," is from Haig's book, Notes on a Nervous Planet. It's a long poem, but here are the opening lines:

Hello
I am the beach
I am created by waves and currents
I am made of eroded rocks
I exist next to the sea
I have been around for millions of years
I was around at the dawn of life
And I have something to tell you...

Meghan also sent handwritten notes on her royal stationery to Haig and to others who contributed to, helped produce, or appeared within the issue she guest-edited.

As I've mentioned quite often, Meghan is a stickler for giving others encouragement by passing on quotes and words of wisdom she has come across and uses for her own personal motivation and inspiration. She is definitely all about learning, growing, sharing, and applying the lessons she's learned. Does this yet again make her perfect? Nope. It just makes her someone who is focused on being part of the solution, rather than someone wallowing in negativity. Of course, anything worthwhile doing and being is always easier said than done. Below is another apt quote from Meghan, shared on the blog an admirer was inspired to create. I believe the same woman also has a blog about Kate.

"Who you are as a person will only be amplified once you are 'famous.' So if you had a good heart, then I would imagine you'll have the same good heart, but the means to do even more with it." -- Meghan (The Duchess of Sussex)

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Again, it's not the magazine's format, particularly not when highlighting a large group of people. But nevermind...

SussexRoyal Instagram account has shared a new group of organizations, and charitable efforts from around the world, selected from suggestions by followers of their Instagram:

The house Meghan briefly rented with her former husband in L.A. before she moved to Toronto has been placed on the market for $1.8 million:

In the royal down time month of August, Royal Reporters are running out of things to report on apparently, so rehashing known information and piecing together lightweight trivia commences :p

The Queen once famously appeared in a cameo in a James Bond film. Reportedly Prince Charles has been asked to do the same in the upcoming Bond movie:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information