Kurt Browning receives the Order Of Canada!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Congratulations to Kurt!
If someone could explain what is order is...

It's an honour that's given by the Governor-General of Canada (who represents the Queen in Canada) to acknowledge outstanding achievements and contributions to the country. Here's a press release from the Governor-General's office that explains the Order and what it's about.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I see several online sources saying that Kurt was given the Order of Canada in 1989 or 1990. The press release linked above says he is a Member of the Order, i.e. he's not being promoted to the higher levels of Officer or Companion. Does anyone know why he's being invested now, in 2019?

uandmfan

That's a good question. According to the GG's website he was awarded the order in 1989. It mentions his 2 jubilee medals but nothing recently.

A pet peeve of mine, the Queen is the Queen of Canada and the GG represents her in her role as Queen of Canada. Not as the Queen of England.

Sonata

I see several online sources saying that Kurt was given the Order of Canada in 1989 or 1990. The press release linked above says he is a Member of the Order, i.e. he's not being promoted to the higher levels of Officer or Companion. Does anyone know why he's being invested now, in 2019?

Confused by this too. When I read the news, my first thought was, “Isn’t he already part of the Order? Otherwise, this is way overdue.” It’s been 30 years since he was accepted into the Order - why is he being invested now?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
A pet peeve of mine, the Queen is the Queen of Canada and the GG represents her in her role as Queen of Canada. Not as the Queen of England.

You're right - I've corrected my initial post.

Confused by this too. When I read the news, my first thought was, “Isn’t he already part of the Order? Otherwise, this is way overdue.” It’s been 30 years since he was accepted into the Order - why is he being invested now?

I know that in the past some people have been allowed to participate in a later investiture ceremony, because they couldn't attend the ceremony in the year they were admitted (because of e.g. work or illness). But if Kurt was admitted in the early 90s I think he could have found time between then and now to attend another ceremony :)

And I'm pretty sure that he hasn't been kicked out of the Order for being disgraceful, e.g. like Steve Fonyo or Conrad Black. So this time probably isn't a re-instatement :confused:

Teenes

I’m super late to this thread, but just confirming that yes, Kurt was awarded with the Member of the Order of Canada back in 1989, and it’s taken him 30 years to actually go to an investiture ceremony to receive it. Not sure why he never went to get it before now, but now his kids are old enough to have gone and taken part, and that means a lot to him.

Sonata

Guess he's been so busy that he's never been able to make it to Ottawa on the day of the ceremony. Cool that his kids get to be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information