2019-20 Canadian ladies news and updates

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Daleman has been posting pics on her twitter site. Some showing off her midriff. I didn't want to post anything there, but does anyone else see her unhealthily thin? If she loses anymore she'll appear gaunt. Or, is this a normal elite skater fat/muscle proportion.
She looks frightening. If she posted those pictures there is something seriously wrong.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Don't go by pictures she has control over (e.g. on her social media). Watch videos of her in competition or check pics posted by Skate Canada or Danielle Earl. You typically see something different...and less alarming.

Sad thing is, she's actually quite beautiful in her natural state....which makes her need to alter pics seem even more troubling.
If she thought it a good idea to post those pictures she is in a whole world of trouble.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Daleman isn’t doing anything different that this (or even older) generations do on Instagram. Most people think they are models and use that as their platform to show off. And then the waistlines are slimmed down, the men’s arms are blown up, the faces are so smoothed out that the nose basically disappears, etc. The big cities (such as the one I am in) are full of wannabe ‘influencers’.

Check this photo that Britney Spears recently posted:

Look at the cabinets behind her. Same thing going on here, just this is a MISERABLE attempt at editing a pic.

The difference with Gabrielle, and what someone close to her NEEDS to sit down and talk with her about, is that she wants the attention- fine, most people do. But when the attention isn’t good enough or someone else looks better, that’s when the problems come in. I mentioned before that she has fluctuated a lot between ‘staying off social media’ and then sharing all the details of her day/life/relationship. Someone as fresh out of having mental health issues should just be focusing on the sport and not showing off her (ridiculously edited) body. She’s a beautiful girl. She needs to stop comparing herself to others and if that means staying off of social media, then do it.

Japanfan

Check this photo that Britney Spears recently posted:

Look at the cabinets behind her. Same thing going on here, just this is a MISERABLE attempt at editing a pic.

Not sure why you say look at the cabinets.

Brittney is nowhere as thin in this pic as Daleman is in the photoshopped pics.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Anyway she is prequalified for nationals so could still skate there if she wanted. I selfishly hope she'll give it another go but more than that I hope she's happy. And I wonder if being this far away from her family may benefit her.

I hope so. The quotes from her dad in the Canadian Press story were a little unsettling IMO. There was more mention of no decision on what's going to happen after the GP - as in, whether she could go to Nationals - than there was of her needing a break.

Rock2

Daleman isn’t doing anything different that this (or even older) generations do on Instagram. Most people think they are models and use that as their platform to show off. And then the waistlines are slimmed down, the men’s arms are blown up, the faces are so smoothed out that the nose basically disappears, etc. The big cities (such as the one I am in) are full of wannabe ‘influencers’.

Yep. Big societal issue here with so many wanting to be Insta-famous. I'm like my parents now -- get a real job.

Here in Canada I'm seeing it more and more.

We have a female tennis player who just surged into the top 25 this year - Bianca Andreescu. She's young and extremely talented. Pretty, but not classically, with very rounded features common to her Romanian heritage. Before her surge her face pic in social media profiles was slimmed. When she hit it big the pic changed to something much more natural looking. Could be her new representation told her to get a grip - she's very marketable without that kind of extra help. That's my theory of how it went down.

Need good people around you to point you in the right direction.

dramagrrl

To me, the issue with Gabby posting these kind of pics isn't about "well, everyone her age is doing it" or "everyone on social media touches up their pics", but rather that a) she has a history of eating disorders and mental health issues, b) the pictures aren't just "touched up a bit" - they look, quite frankly, scary and c) the constant positive feedback she gets on these frighteningly altered pics, with hundreds of comments telling her how gorgeous she looks, what amazing abs she has, etc. are not going to help matters at all. The fact that she seems to think these pictures actually look "good" and considers them realistic enough to post is not a good sign.

barbarafan

To me, the issue with Gabby posting these kind of pics isn't about "well, everyone her age is doing it" or "everyone on social media touches up their pics", but rather that a) she has a history of eating disorders and mental health issues, b) the pictures aren't just "touched up a bit" - they look, quite frankly, scary and c) the constant positive feedback she gets on these frighteningly altered pics, with hundreds of comments telling her how gorgeous she looks, what amazing abs she has, etc. are not going to help matters at all. The fact that she seems to think these pictures actually look "good" and considers them realistic enough to post is not a good sign.
I agree in that but at the same time you want to support her. I have stopped liking her photos if she poses in underwear,if she is doing suggestive things with her tongue and if she really looks like she is dying from cancer. Otherwise I still like her photos.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
To me, someone who's happy to look scary should seek help fast before she damages herself further mentally and physically. The way Daleman acts on social media is worrisome. She is obviously not comfortable with herself at all. People who avidly like her photos do it either simply to flatter her because she is a public figure, something that encourages her to go on and is dangerous for her, or because they actually think she looks good when she's so dramatically emaciated (whether it's reality or Photoshop) which is dangerous for them. All in all, this isn't mentally healthy for anyone.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

And if someone were to reply with something honest, like "You look really unhealthy, eat something", that wouldn't help her either. It seems like a no-win situation.

Colonel Green

And if someone were to reply with something honest, like "You look really unhealthy, eat something", that wouldn't help her either. It seems like a no-win situation.
Yeah, that's along the lines of my thoughts. Gabrielle's need for validation on social media is extremely obvious and frequently rather painful to look at, but I'm not sure that withholding validation does her any good either.

Japanfan

IMO that would be better than telling her she looks great. And it would be the truth.

starrynight

I understand that on occasion Gabby has handed over control of her social media to her management. But that arrangement never seems to last for very long.

Colonel Green

IMO that would be better than telling her she looks great. And it would be the truth.
I don’t personally make such comments about the obviously doctored photos.

But I don’t think that there’s any benefit to a bunch of anonymous people on the internet sending her comments about how she looks bad. That has never helped anyone. This is ultimately a topic that only actual people in her life can help her with, and we’re in the position of hoping that they are.

Japanfan

I don’t personally make such comments about the obviously doctored photos.

But I don’t think that there’s any benefit to a bunch of anonymous people on the internet sending her comments about how she looks bad. That has never helped anyone. This is ultimately a topic that only actual people in her life can help her with, and we’re in the position of hoping that they are.

I was thinking in terms of friends or people in her life.

I wouldn't comment on the photos either way.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I was shocked by Daleman's photos on Instagram. That she is an adult makes it harder for the team around her to intervene and do something.

I'm somewhat reminded of a girl at my gym who trains and trains and trains non-stop, and is clearly suffering from body dysmorphia. She is criminally underweight for her height and build, so much that she is nothing more than bones and sinew. Yet, what power do the gym owners have at the end of the day, other than suspending her membership. She would probably only go somewhere else.

barbarafan

I understand that on occasion Gabby has handed over control of her social media to her management. But that arrangement never seems to last for very long.
I saw her do that once. She made a statement that she would no longer be on instagram and the tone of the writing seemed quite PO'D so I assume she had read comments she did not like. This was one evening and the next morning she posted stuff.

Enchanted

To me, someone who's happy to look scary should seek help fast before she damages herself further mentally and physically. The way Daleman acts on social media is worrisome. She is obviously not comfortable with herself at all. People who avidly like her photos do it either simply to flatter her because she is a public figure, something that encourages her to go on and is dangerous for her, or because they actually think she looks good when she's so dramatically emaciated (whether it's reality or Photoshop) which is dangerous for them. All in all, this isn't mentally healthy for anyone.

I agree with you, her behaviour is worrisome but unfortunately she seems to be encouraged by her mother. She has, for example, celebrated her daughter’s twitter presence very recently.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

A person who seems to have body image issues is going to react negatively even if it is the truth.

This is what I mean by a no-win situation. "Yaaaas queen you look hot" reinforces the idea that the fake idealized body is wonderful, and gives positive attention to that unrealistic look. "You look unhealthy, eat something" is going to be hurtful and might even make her try for an even more unrealistic image.

IMO she should just get off social media.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I compared the Next Gen list with the ISU bios to see which women are age eligible for next year's Youth Olympics (born between 2003 and 2005).

Emma Bulawka
Catherine Carle
Daria Carr
Olivia Gran
Leah Lee
Amelia Orzel
Madeline Schizas

Athlete Selection Criteria
The Skate Canada High Performance Development Committee will then base its athlete selection to the YOG on the following criteria (in no particular order of importance):
-Best international scores achieved at junior international events in the 2019-2010 skating season
-Qualifying for the 2019 ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final

It will be interesting to see which age eligible skaters get JGP assignments, since there are 7 total and presumably at least one will go to Schumacher. Though in recent seasons, Skate Canada sent skaters to the Golden Bear competition so hopefully everyone eligible will get a chance to compete internationally.

RoseRed

I compared the Next Gen list with the ISU bios to see which women are age eligible for next year's Youth Olympics (born between 2003 and 2005).

Emma Bulawka
Catherine Carle
Daria Carr
Olivia Gran
Leah Lee
Amelia Orzel
Madeline Schizas

Athlete Selection Criteria
The Skate Canada High Performance Development Committee will then base its athlete selection to the YOG on the following criteria (in no particular order of importance):
-Best international scores achieved at junior international events in the 2019-2010 skating season
-Qualifying for the 2019 ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final

It will be interesting to see which age eligible skaters get JGP assignments, since there are 7 total and presumably at least one will go to Schumacher. Though in recent seasons, Skate Canada sent skaters to the Golden Bear competition so hopefully everyone eligible will get a chance to compete internationally.
Do we know that Daria Carr and Leah Lee are on the 2019-20 Next Gen team? I don't remember seeing them tagged in anything from the camp, but that was a while ago so I could have forgotten or missed it. The team on the website is still the 2018-19 team.

Others who should be on Next Gen for next season (spotted in social media stuff from the camp) and who should be age eligible are Melody Zhu, Melaurie Boivin and Vienna Harwood.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I have no idea. I was only going by what was posted on the Skate Canada website to start a discussion about who is contention to go to the Youth Olympics. :)

RoseRed

I have no idea. I was only going by what was posted on the Skate Canada website to start a discussion about who is contention to go to the Youth Olympics. :)
Yeah, that's still the 2018-19 Next Gen team. You can tell since Conrad and Aurora are still on it. I have no idea why they haven't posted the new team yet.

Josh78

Yeah, that's still the 2018-19 Next Gen team. You can tell since Conrad and Aurora are still on it. I have no idea why they haven't posted the new team yet.

The 2018-19 Skate Canada Next Gen team was announced via press release on August 9th, 2018, so I'd assume the 2019-20 team will be announced right around then -- not long to wait, just a month from yesterday!

barbarafan

The 2018-19 Skate Canada Next Gen team was announced via press release on August 9th, 2018, so I'd assume the 2019-20 team will be announced right around then -- not long to wait, just a month from yesterday!
So looks like they will finalize the team after Minto..Quebec summer skate finishes on Aug 11....I doubt they will wait that long to name the team...but who knows.

insideedgeua

I don’t know how to link it, but Gabby is singing along with a song and dancing in her latest insta story. She looks really fit and healthy and even better than her edited photos.

Here’s hoping that she’s feeling as good on the inside as she looks in the video. I hope she has a great season ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information