"The Olympics Are Over, But Tessa Virtue Is Just Getting Started" magazine article

Sylvia

TBD
News from last month:

Tessa's Global News' morning show appearance - International Women's Day 2019: Olympian Tessa Virtue gets her own 'Shero' Barbie doll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wV4fM6wjx4
Canadian Olympic ice skating champion Tessa Virtue is officially a Barbie doll. In honour of International Women’s Day on March 8, Mattel released a new “Role Model” Barbie dolls collection inspired by accomplished real women, including Virtue.
Tessa stopped by the Morning Show on Friday to chat about her excitement to be a part of the iconic toy dolls, about inspiring younger generations and spills on where she keeps her gold Olympic medals.
https://barbie.mattel.com/en-us/about/role-models.html

Also found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BkJPvOQLao
Speaking backstage at the Juno Awards on Sunday night in London, Ont., Canadian ice dancer Tessa Virtue talks about a new Barbie doll that was inspired by her, what it means to her, and what it will mean for young girls. (Mar. 18, 2019.)

Sylvia

TBD
Players' Own Voice podcast - CBC Sports' Anastasia Bucsis with Tessa Virtue: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/podcasts/players-own-voice/pov-podcast-season-two-debut-1.5170492
Just because she is gliding from amateur glory to a dazzling professional career, doesn't mean Virtue has forgotten the highs and lows of Olympic competition.
"No matter how you prepared you are, I don't think you can fully anticipate a post-Olympic crash." she says. "I didn't realize what a heavy weight that was to carry, that Olympic pressure."
People remain fascinated by the Virtue-Moir juggernaut, and Tessa struggles to explain it.
"It's all we've known. its impossible to have objective perspective. When you are so in it, you are the people who understand it the least."
Direct link to listen: https://podcast-a.akamaihd.net/mp3/podcasts/playersownvoice-eWqVwh1O-20190611.mp3

ETA: This conversation was recorded on 3/19/19 and is well worth a listen.

Last edited:

canbelto

Uh I know this will not be popular with fans but I kind of think Tessa needs to perhaps step away from the Virtue/Moir partnership a bit to find her own interests and identity away from "Virtue/Moir." She just turned 30 years old and yet it seems as if training and branding herself as "Virtue/Moir" is all she's ever known. Meanwhile Scott has moved on -- new girlfriend, new interests, and apart from the skating shows with Tessa it seems a new life.

canbelto

Did you listen to the podcast? That's what she's doing and she's been very busy with many different opportunities (and more in the public eye than Scott).

Yeah I listened. She sounds like she's branching out but still doesn't really know what she wants to do.

Japanfan

But having socioeconomic status does provide a certain level of protection, you are correct. Many skaters do come from monied families. But I don't think that was particularly the case for Tessa, having just read (well, skim read) the book about her and Scott.

I read about 'richest families in Canada' yesterday, and the Virtue family was mentioned, there wealth estimated at $2 million.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I read about 'richest families in Canada' yesterday, and the Virtue family was mentioned, there wealth estimated at $2 million.

Can you link to the story? I saw a list like this recently, and there was a Tessa on it - but it was Tessa Thomson of the Thomson media family (Globe and Mail, Bell/CTV, etc.).

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Yeah I listened. She sounds like she's branching out but still doesn't really know what she wants to do.

Well maybe give her a little time. Jeez. It's only been a little over a year since the Olys, and in that time much of her time and energy went into creating/producing the Thank You Canada Tour, and now the Rock the Rink tour.

People generally don't turn on a dime.

All her life was nothing but training and competing. Perhaps she needs a couple of years past creating her own tours to figure out what's next.

Have you listened to any Patrick interviews lately. Gosh. Surprise. He doesn't know what he wants to do yet either.

Last edited:

Japanfan

Can you link to the story? I saw a list like this recently, and there was a Tessa on it - but it was Tessa Thomson of the Thomson media family (Globe and Mail, Bell/CTV, etc.).

No, it was of those on-line slideshows, like 'the most expensive celebrity homes'. Of course, the info in those has to be taken with a grain of salt - but the figure must have come from somewhere.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
No, it was of those on-line slideshows, like 'the most expensive celebrity homes'. Of course, the info in those has to be taken with a grain of salt - but the figure must have come from somewhere.

Just curious because I don't ever think I've seen anything mentioned before about her family being wealthy, or at least being among the most wealthy families in Canada.

Tour Olympic Champion Tessa Virtue’s Century Home (July 27, 2018): https://houseandhome.com/video/tour-olympic-champion-tessa-virtues-century-home/

I recognize those living room couches from the (in)famous V/M "reality" show. Tessa would curl up on them with a book and look wistful while Scott was out on the town...

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!

Just a side note but there is no way that an estimated wealth of $2 million dollars should put someone on a list of richest families in Canada. Yes it's a lot of money for most but not a vast fortune by any means:

Japanfan

Just a side note but there is no way that an estimated wealth of $2 million dollars should put someone on a list of richest families in Canada. Yes it's a lot of money for most but not a vast fortune by any means:

I was going to say the same thing.

yfbg722

Me too. There's no way thatamount of money would. Although I am glad to see they are benefitting financially this time around. I heard last time that they made very little and were quite taken aback.
I’m not sure if this is true, but I remember hearing the Roots endorsement deal they got after their first Olympics was worth $5,000,000. As for Tessa’s family, her dad is a lawyer so they’ll be comfortable.

uandmfan

I’m not sure if this is true, but I remember hearing the Roots endorsement deal they got after their first Olympics was worth $5,000,000. As for Tessa’s family, her dad is a lawyer so they’ll be comfortable.

I was told from someone who should know what they were talking about (but may not for all I know) that they, their families and skate Canada were shocked at how little payoff they got from the 2010 win. They apparently didn't see much financial gain. If he thought the endorsement was $5 million he wouldn't have said that. That being said, maybe he wasn't aware of the details. I have no insider knowledge.

It's a safe bet that 99.8% of figure skaters come from families who are pretty comfortable - it's an expensive sport even at lower levels.

yfbg722

I was told from someone who should know what they were talking about (but may not for all I know) that they, their families and skate Canada were shocked at how little payoff they got from the 2010 win. They apparently didn't see much financial gain. If he thought the endorsement was $5 million he wouldn't have said that. That being said, maybe he wasn't aware of the details. I have no insider knowledge.

It's a safe bet that 99.8% of figure skaters come from families who are pretty comfortable - it's an expensive sport even at lower levels.
Both bought houses after the first Olympics and were able to pick up and move to Montreal and put a pretty comprehensive support system around themselves in the run for the second Olympics so I'm thinking they must have done okay. As a former skating parent I know only too well how much that costs - and we didn't even make it to the senior level lol 😋

barbarafan

Both bought houses after the first Olympics and were able to pick up and move to Montreal and put a pretty comprehensive support system around themselves in the run for the second Olympics so I'm thinking they must have done okay. As a former skating parent I know only too well how much that costs - and we didn't even make it to the senior level lol 😋
"2 millions" is considered to be "richest family of Canada" :eek: I am shook.
On their 2nd go round they knew more of what they were doing and what it would take. A sports management company(I believe sortof non-profit) choose athletes with exceptional qualities and it is sortof what do you need to be the best and if they agreed they provided same.

uandmfan

"2 millions" is considered to be "richest family of Canada" :eek: I am shook.

It is absolutely not.

According to research firm Wealth X, Canada had around 10,840 residents worth $30 million or more including their investable assets in 2017.

2 million is a far cry from one of the richest.

angi

Both ... were able to pick up and move to Montreal and put a pretty comprehensive support system around themselves in the run for the second Olympics so I'm thinking they must have done okay.
A very big portion of their expenses during their comeback was paid by B2Ten so it probably helped a lot. They are also sponsored by Acura for a long time now and had (might still have) the support of sponsors like Visa, Air Canada, and Cheerios going into the games. That being said, I do think that over the years they smartly managed to leverage their skating success into financial gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information