Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man's Best Friend (The Book Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan1

Your computer is considered a device. You can check out ebooks with it.
I can barely sit here to do what I have to do. I'm not going to sit here and read a "book" that I can reserve at the library. As I said, I was just curious how ebook stuff worked.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I can barely sit here to do what I have to do. I'm not going to sit here and read a "book" that I can reserve at the library. As I said, I was just curious how ebook stuff worked.

In the immortal words of Julia Sugarbaker - "Well - now you do."

Just for the record, a thank you to those who explained about E-books to you would have been a small but thoughtful and courteous thing to do. Most people learn how to do that in early childhood (say thank you, to be clear).

Last edited:

oleada

I like reading actual books, but I carry, along with my wallet and other basic items, workout stuff and my lunch in public transit and lived in a teeny 1 bedroom. The library often doesn’t have the books I want. Ebooks don’t take up space that I don’t have in my apartment and don’t add weight in my already heavy bag. Sometimes it’s easier to read on my phone. Different strokes for different folks. No need to be rude about it.

Susan1

I like reading actual books, but I carry, along with my wallet and other basic items, workout stuff and my lunch in public transit and lived in a teeny 1 bedroom. The library often doesn’t have the books I want. Ebooks don’t take up space that I don’t have in my apartment and don’t add weight in my already heavy bag. Sometimes it’s easier to read on my phone. Different strokes for different folks. No need to be rude about it.
OMG. I "like"d the responses. And how many times did I just ask a technology question, not ask for advice on how to personally do something. Do you all reply with eternal gratitude when someone explains something? There was not anything rude about it. I don't take books anywhere. I have plenty of room in my house for library books that I reserve, including older interlibrary books that come from all over the country. I have to recline with pillows behind my head and a good light over my right shoulder and a pillow on my lap to rest my arms and book on. And use reading glasses. I am not telling any of you that you all should do the same.

Susan1

No one is asking for eternal gratitude; you can just say “thanks”. No one is asking for you to read ebooks, either.
Thank you all for you exhaustive and expensive research.
You were rude to me.
Because I resented that you were telling me that my computer is a "device". I'm not even that dumb. And that I could get ebooks on it, when nowhere in any of my posts did I say I wanted to get an ebook. I WAS JUST CURIOUS ABOUT HOW IT WORKS. Why is it that the people who did not give any actual explanations are the ones who are piping up out of nowhere calling me rude?

If I ask someone how to drive a stick shift, it doesn't mean I am going to go out and buy a car with one. But I would have to thank anyone here who wrote 4-5 paragraphs on their experience with stick shifts? Geez.

Last edited:

PDilemma

@Susan1 I use a dedicated eReader not a computer, phone or tablet. No backlighting. I use one because the ability to adjust the font and spacing means I have less eye strain due to my hereditary retinal disease that may result in vision loss that isn’t correctable in the future.

Please do not judge people who use digital books. It isn’t always about space, tech or not driving to the library. Without my Kindle, I’d be lucky to be able to read even half as much as I do. Plus less eye strain stresses my vision less which is better for my future prognosis.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
@Susan1, yes, if you have a question & someone answers it, then you "ought" to say thank you. EVERY TIME. It's not eternal gratitude & doesn't have to be wordy, but it's polite. Everyone here has a choice to answer anyone's questions. No one is required to educate anyone else, especially when they could look it up themselves. I'll venture to say that the next time you have a question you'll be ignored.

Susan1

@Susan1 I use a dedicated eReader not a computer, phone or tablet. No backlighting. I use one because the ability to adjust the font and spacing means I have less eye strain due to my hereditary retinal disease that may result in vision loss that isn’t correctable in the future.

Please do not judge people who use digital books. It isn’t always about space, tech or not driving to the library. Without my Kindle, I’d be lucky to be able to read even half as much as I do. Plus less eye strain stresses my vision less which is better for my future prognosis.
Where in the world did I judge people who use digital books? I don't care. Now some random person will chime in about how I don't care about other people, RIGHT?? I WAS JUST ASKING ABOUT THE PHYSICAL PROCESS OF SOMETHING. Are you talking about apartment space? I did not bring that up. Where was driving to the library mentioned? But since you brought it up, at least it gets me out of the house.
I have retina problems too. Watching the flat screen t.v. hurts. And rheumatoid arthritis. For some reason, it is easier to hold hard back books than paperbacks. And fibromyalgia. I can't read in bed because I can't keep my legs straight and flat. THANK YOU ALL for the compassion.
@Susan1, yes, if you have a question & someone answers it, then you "ought" to say thank you. EVERY TIME.
Why on God's green earth is it any of your business. I'll be watching your posts to see if you do it EVERY TIME.

taf2002

Why on God's green earth is it any of your business. I'll be watching your posts to see if you do it EVERY TIME.

Not my business but I was :eek: at your defense of not saying thanks. It is indefensible IMO. And watch away. I don't ask that many questions because google is my friend but when I do I thank the person. If I don't please point it out.

Susan1

Not my business but I was :eek: at your defense of not saying thanks. It is indefensible IMO. And watch away. I don't ask that many questions because google is my friend but when I do I thank the person. If I don't please point it out.
Why would I google something that could be answered by someone in the thread where I am. PDilemma wrote "I have a digital copy on hold". I asked because I wondered why you would have to put a hold on a digital copy because it is not a physical thing. I wasn't asking for help or advice. It wasn't such an earth shattering question that I had to have an answer. I could have waited till I went to the library and asked someone there, but I would have forgotten by today and it would have been completely out of context since I do not wish to read a digital copy of a book on any device.
All of you who got on the whacko bandwagon did not answer my questions or have any business commenting to me personally. Don't you have anything better to do than to butt in for no reason.
Where were you all when someone asked me what library and I go to and I replied and they didn't say thank you? Huh???? Ridiculous.
Or let's take, for example, the Facebook question thread. People ask questions, people answer or reply or agree that they have the same problem. It is required to type "thank you" after every post?
Indefensible? WTH? I wasn't defending anything. I was trying to figure out why some people think they can make personal attacks on something I did not say to someone else. I'd like to see you people pull this on somebody like Prancer.

Last edited:

taf2002

Hmm...Why google when you can have someone else do your legwork for you? I guess it's so ppl don't think you're lazy or entitled. YMMV

Susan1

@Susan1 you can't be serious. You can use Google to get an answer right away, as opposed to posting a question in a thread and hoping that someone will answer it eventually.
Have any of you that have jumped on this crazy train even read my question. I responded to someone who said THEY had a digital copy on hold. Why would I have to "Google" that immediately? I did not even see the answer till the next morning, reading these threads as usual. IT WAS JUST A CASUAL QUESTION. I did not need to know the answer. I have no desire whatsoever to read a digital book. I WAS JUST CURIOUS because they brought it up. It's not like I asked for the name of a book that I wanted to run right out and get and sat here and waited for the answer. People answer questions if they want to. I "like"d the responses. There was no follow up required.
Is it raining where you are? Tell me right this minute. I have to know. And I will immediately write back "thank you".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information