2019-2020 Programs and Choreographers

Allskate

I find this worrisome. IMO this music needs subtle interpretation, or it becomes OTT. It IS a tragic topic and haunting piece of music. In and of itself the music tells the story. It does not need flamboyance to make it's point.

This would not have been something I would have picked for Jason, but I don't see why he can't do a good job with it. Not everything he does is Riverdance. I think Jason is perfectly capable of subtle, but it does not have to all be subtle. My favorite program to this music is Paul Wylie's. (I always find that other Schindler programs pale in comparison, so that's my biggest concern about Jason choosing it.) There were parts of Paul's program that used slower music and showed off Paul's edges. But, there also were parts that were fast and dramatic.

We can't really tell much from Jason's little video because the music is just added on to edited clips.

IMO, I think the most important thing is whether Jason is excited about the music choice. I didn't care for the S&G program, and I can't help thinking that part of the problem was that he didn't choose the music. I liked his short program so much more.

AFAIK, Paul Wylie was the first skater to use the Schindler's List music in the early 1990s

I think both Paul and Katarina Witt used the music the season after the movie was released. I just always associate it with Paul no matter how many other people skate to it.

Last edited:
S

SmallFairy

I’m not disputing Jason’s capability to skate a good program to Schindler’s list, but I just can’t take any more of those programs. It’s bad taste, in my humble opinion. So I’d preferred the music retired all together.

starrynight

I watched Schindler's List once 16 years ago and it still gives me nightmares.

I think my prerequisite for a Schindler's List program is that the skater has to really understand what they are interpreting and do something meaningful with the program. In my view, if a skater wants to just wear grey and jump, they need to choose other music. I find the fact that it has become a skating warhorse to be quite jarring, actually. Goodness me, even thinking about that film and everything in history that accompanied it causes me to feel a heavy pit in my stomach.

But I trust that Jason Brown will be able to work with the music. He's one of the skaters who I think could.

Sylvia

TBD
That what I guessed too. Although this one by Tommee Proffitt came up right away when I searched the title, and would work for skating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU4J17q8lsg
Kudos! :respec: This IS Cain/LeDuc's SP music, as just confirmed on their website today: http://figureskatersonline.com/cain-leduc/competitive-history/
Short Program: “A Storm is Comin” (featuring Liv Ash) produced by Tommee Profitt from Cinematic Songs, Vol. 5.
Written by Bryan Fowler, Liv Ash, Mike Ash & Tommee Profitt
Choreography by Misha Ge
CC: @BaileyCatts & @Cayuse ;)
OMG I hope this is it!!! I love love love LOVE this!!!!!!! :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:
I agree, this is a great song. ... I can see it working for Ashley and Tim if this is their choice.

RoseRed

BaileyCatts

Kudos! :respec: This IS Cain/LeDuc's SP music, as just confirmed on their website today: http://figureskatersonline.com/cain-leduc/competitive-history/ ;)

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: And I wouldn't even care if others skated to it as well. I LOVE this!!!!! I let Youtube just continue playing after the music clip and a lot of other Tommee Profitt things played and there is some GREAT skating music there!!! Skaters need to be lookin' at this guy and his music big time! :p

:shuffle: unless they already have and I just didn't know it was his music. But great skating music there!!!!

Tinami Amori

How did you (eta: or @Ka3sha) get the film title The Love Punch (a British comedy) from "Музыка из фильма «Как украсть бриллиант?». Американская комедия." ?
Same film, named differently. "Love Punch" would not make sense in Russian, given the word "punch" in english has two meanings "a hit" and "a drink", and a direct translation would not reflect the "pond of the double meaning of this word" or in ANY way the essence of the film that has NOTHING to do with LOVE and would mislead a russian movie goer into thinking it is a romantic comedy.

Often happens with "foreign films".
"Some like it hot" in Russia is "All girls jazz band".
"Stazione Termini" in USA "Indiscretion of an American Wife".
"Leon" in USA is "The Professional".

etc..

Tinami Amori

Kostornaia easily me favorite Russian skater and I love her long program choice. As much as I enjoy her, however, I can't say I was a fan of her Twilight exhibition, so I'm not sure if this is the best choice for her short program but hopefully she can make it work. I'm not a a huge fan of Muse, tbh. "Supermassive Black Hole" sounds like a glorified Britney Spears song IMO.
Because she (Kostornya) asked for it, and said in an interview that she wants to skate to something "aggressive" (meaning "powerful").... and Tutberidze let her chose what she wants to skate to (or is this wrong again?)... :lol:
https://nevasport.ru/68566-kostornaya-rasskazala-pod-kakuyu-muzyku-hochet-katatsya/

FWIW, I doubt Tursy has the kind of presence or tension to pull off Danse Macabre. She didn't pull off the tango last season at all.
Tursy wanted to skate to this music... and Tutberidze let her chose it...

Yeah, yeah... Tutberdize can never get it right..... just sweeps the podiums... :D

jenny12

Because she (Kostornya) asked for it, and said in an interview that she wants to skate to something "aggressive" (meaning "powerful").... and Tutberidze let her chose what she wants to skate to (or is this wrong again?)... :lol:
https://nevasport.ru/68566-kostornaya-rasskazala-pod-kakuyu-muzyku-hochet-katatsya/

I'm just giving my opinion on the song choice not blaming Tutberidze for it. A Japanese skater could have picked that song and I still would have had the same opinion. I find Muse pretty cheesy overall, but I do like Kostornaia (she's really the only one of the young Russians I do like), so whatever my opinion on the song, I hope she does well.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

I'm just giving my opinion on the song choice not blaming Tutberidze for it. A Japanese skating could have picked that song and I still would have had the same opinion. I find Muse pretty cheesy overall, but I do like Kostornaia (she's really the only one of the young Russians I do like), so whatever my opinion on the song, I hope she does well.
I am not blaming you for saying it. Just explaining why Alena is skating to this.

Japanfan

I think my prerequisite for a Schindler's List program is that the skater has to really understand what they are interpreting and do something meaningful with the program. In my view, if a skater wants to just wear grey and jump, they need to choose other music.

I really appreciated Roman and Alexander Zaretky's interpretation of the program under Galit Chait, especially given they have a personal connection to the music.

The skate itself was a bit rough and unrefined, but I liked the emotion they projected.

I also thought that Julia Lipnitskaya's interpretation of the music by focusing on the girl in the red dress worked well. I actually recently read that for Spielberg, the girl (the only colored image in the film until the very end) symbolized the rise of Nazism, in plain view for everyone to see, had they been looking.

I think that Lipnitskaya understood the girl in the red dress to be a victim of tragic circumstances and to be both very frightened and very brave. Since the girl would not have been able to grasp what was going on, it didn't really matter whether Lip herself really understood what she was interpreting or the full dimensions/implications of the Holocaust.

I find the fact that it has become a skating warhorse to be quite jarring, actually. Goodness me, even thinking about that film and everything in history that accompanied it causes me to feel a heavy pit in my stomach.

But music has a way of taking on a life of its own.

Take "Dr. Zhivago", for example (one of my favorite pieces of music). For me that music will forever be associated with the film, particularly the scene where the two lovers spend time in a cold cabin in the woods in the winter, knowing their love to be doomed. And the end, where he thinks he sees her or sees her (I don't remember which), and then dies.

How can a teenager understand the politics of that time and express both the despair and joy that characterized their love affair?

Yet, many try, and I enjoy a lot of those attempts. Alissa Czizny skated a particularly soulful program to the music.

With regard to Schindler's List specifically, I think it is important for skaters to see the film if they are going to skate to the music. Otherwise they may not grasp the magnitude and dimension of the themes that the music addresses.

But I trust that Jason Brown will be able to work with the music. He's one of the skaters who I think could.

The jury is still out on that for me.

LeafOnTheWind

I've avoided listening to anything from A Star is Born on the radio because I knew I would be watching skating. I'm hopeful that the first few viewings will be less painful that way.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
*whispers* I think that might be a really good program for them. Don't kill me. :scream: :lol: Pop music isn't really my thing, but I don't think that particular song is so terrible (maybe overrated, but not terrible), and it's a much more modern vibe, which they tend to do well with AND which they sorely need after R&J. It could work.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Kill me now. They are determined to shift my long-standing loyalty to another team, damn it.
That sounds like a mess waiting to happen. Doesn't seem like a good fit ...but I guess we'll see.

jenny12

This Hubbell/Donohue article contains official confirmation that A Star Is Born will be their free dance music next season.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/05/14/madison-hubbell-zach-donohue-ice-dance/

*Updated

I actually think this really fits them. They can emphasize their earthy qualities and how they relate to one another. However, I think I’m suffering from a bit of “Shallow” fatigue with that song being played everywhere. Hopefully their program will make it fresh again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information