2019 Eurovision - Before I Leave Let Me Show You Tel Aviv!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skoppa

Living in the North
This made me curious and I just looked up the lyrics. Is it satire? Is it serious? I probably don't want to know. I still applaud anything that isn't boring (to quote Lucie Mysliveckova) in Eurovision.

Speaking of which, I don't think anyone has commented on the Dutch entry, which is a heavy favorite to win, according to the bookmakers (with Russia a clear second). While I realize the reliability of the odds is questionable, I enjoy checking them. What I do not enjoy: the Dutch entry.
I have only watch it once, but to be it is more satire and about things in Iceland and our relationship with Europe. Not about Israel like some institutions and media are trying to translate from the texts. Or at least that is what I understand from the media coverage here in Iceland that I have seen.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I just think Iceland is a catchy tune. Even if one of the singers is just screaming and I understand none of the words. :shuffle:

Josh78

Here's the English translation of Iceland's song --- The costumes and portrayals the singers give are pretty much satire, but you delve into the words of the song, they're speaking about what will happen if Europe continues going down the nationalist road so many countries in Europe are increasingly seeing their governments influenced by, and if we don't learn to respect each other's culture and differences -- now, this is definitely not close to my winner personally (just because it's just not my genre of music) but you have to give them some respect for the message:

The revelry was unrestrained
The hangover is endless
Life is meaningless
The emptiness will get us all

Hate will prevail
Happiness will end
For it is an illusion
A treacherous pipe dream

Chorus:
All that I saw
Tears ran down
All that I gave
Once gave
I gave it all to you

Multilateral delusions
Unilateral punishments
Gullible poor fellows
The escape will end
The emptiness will get us all

Hate will prevail
Europe will crumble
A web of lies
Will arise from the ashes
United as one

Chorus:
All that I saw
Tears ran down
All that I gave
Once gave
I gave it all to you

All that I saw
Tears ran down
All that I gave
Once gave
I gave it all to you

Hate will prevail
Love will die
Hate will prevail
Happiness will end
For it is an illusion
A treacherous pipe dream
Hate will prevail

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
I feel that FSU is having a great conspiracy that is aimed to make me listen again to the Icelandic song. Shall not happen! I will remain strong! I will not listen (to that crap) again!
Erm.. which semi are they? Will I have to endure that nightmare live?:)

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I feel that FSU is having a great conspiracy that is aimed to make me listen again to the Icelandic song. Shall not happen! I will remain strong! I will not listen (to that crap) again!
Erm.. which semi are they? Will I have to endure that nightmare live?:)

Semi 1. :D

D

Deleted member 40371

Songs from the semifinal 1 was painful to hear back to back, these songs seemed more from a funeral than Eurovision; then came the Icelandic song, which was the murder itself. I believe the semifinal 2 is way stronger.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
I just watched/listened to all the semifinal two songs. I like Malta. Norway is amazingly tacky. Sweden is polished but I find it uninteresting. Azerbaijan seems like it could tolerable with a strong or just weird presentation.

Everything else I have no interest in hearing or seeing again, but the live performances will hopefully change my mind.

It amuses (but does not surprise) me how Iceland seems to be so polarizing both on and off FSU. To me, it's a pretty standard electro/industrial pop song aside from the screaming, which I realize will be a deal-breaker for many people. I listen to a few metal bands with screaming vocals so I'm used to it.

Overall, I am still rooting for Greece the most but I haven't heard/seen the big five + Israel entries yet.

sus2850

Finally managed to listen to all songs.
Iceland reminds me of Rammstein.
Portugal is the really weird one.
Australia is trying to hard to be weird.
I am a bit torn about Poland. Might get far though.
Nice to see the Hungarian guy back, his song is not memorable at all though.
Songs I personally like: Belgium, Denmark, Latvia, Lithuania
Songs I like as an ESC entry: Australia, France, Israel, Italy, Spain, UK
Netherlands is well produced, can see it getting lots of points. Would prefer Italy

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Thanks to everyone who has voted so far. If those that haven’t could send me their votes ASAP, I would appreciate it. :)

MsZem

I see the sea

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
FSU Eurovision Poll Semi 1 Qualifiers (Alphabetical Order)

Australia
Belarus
Belgium
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Greece
Iceland
Montenegro
Poland
San Marino

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
FSU Eurovision Poll Semi 2 Qualifiers (Alphabetical Order)

Albania
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Latvia
Malta
Netherlands
Norway
Russia
Sweden
Switzerland

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Link to the FSU Eurovision Poll Finallists here

Even if you weren't able to vote in the semi, you're free to vote for the final. :)

MsZem

I see the sea
I went through Tel-Aviv University train station today - this is the same station that serves the Expo TA venue - and it was sadly non-Eurovisiony. Maybe later in the week.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
The obligatory modulation from Montenegro. The sound is a bit terrible - the voices are shouting and am surevthere is a music somewhere but not sure where

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information