2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

coppertop1

Really bad luck for Alaine to get so sick before the free skate.

I like the idea of sending Schumacher to some senior B events but keeping her in the JGP. No need to rush it but getting her some senior experience and a chance at the minimum TES for Worlds.

IloveFS

I think our ladies did what we had expected and maybe more. We were all worried about Gabby but she came through. When she is at her best, she can contend with the top in the world. I hope she will be healthy. I would love to see her do quad. Don't count her out.

I think both Schumacher and Cotop have a lot of promise. I look forward to seeing how they develop and I hold Schumacher gets a chance to obtain the TES minimum. Hopefully Mallet can stay healthy and continue to build. It's ironic to have two women but only one berth for men next season.

I think that there are some other novice and junior women who I think have loads of talent... They next few years will be very interesting....

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Canadian figure skater Gabrielle Daleman happy with effort at worlds

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/canad...daleman-happy-with-effort-at-worlds-1.4347698

SAITAMA, Japan -- Canada's Gabrielle Daleman finished 11th on Friday at the world figure skating championships.

The 21-year-old from Newmarket, Ont., who has missed time the past two years while dealing with mental-health issues, was proud of her performance.

"The most important thing that I learned this season is that no matter what life throws at me I always rise at the end," she said. "That's exactly what I'm proving here. I had the worst two years of my life and to be here and get a top-12 finish means the world to me."

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Sorry to hear about Alaine :( but at the same time I'm glad there was a reason for her being subpar. Even so she did her job by making the free.

Congrats to Gabby for pulling through after the season she's had!!!

Jammers

Unless Osmond returns to competition next season, I think Alaine is safe.
Not sure how safe she is though. Since it's assumed Daleman will be on the team next season that leaves one spot and if someone like Mallet or Austman skates clean or one of the younger girls makes big improvements over the summer Alaine is in big trouble. We are talking about someone who finished 23 at Worlds and her Nationals score wasn't anything to write home about either.

Colonel Green

Unless Osmond returns to competition next season, I think Alaine is safe.
I don't see any reason to think that based on the last two seasons. Alaine lost to both Veronik and Larkyn at 4CC, and her performance at Worlds was bad by any measure, though she did her job by making the free skate by the skin of her teeth. And, of course, she lost the Olympic spot to Larkyn when everybody thought she had that sewn up.

Veronik, Larkyn, Aurora, Alison, any of those could take the second spot.

fsfann

I definitely don't agree that Alaine is "safe". Gabby, yes... Alaine, absolutely not. It'll be a 3-5 person battle for the 2nd spot next year.

Rock2

Yeah, I think if Cotop gets the lutz and flip back, she could take it easily.

Yeah I actually think she's going to make a move next year.
Short will be 3T/3T with a 3F, is my expectation. Having a lutz in the free will be a nice bonus.

Mallet and Austman need to be doing 3/3s for me to pay any attention. Not expecting much from them as I think both have peaked/plateaued in their careers. Happy to have them prove me wrong.

I want to get excited about Schmucher but I just feel her PCS is capped because of her basic skating and how she presents. Cotop on the other hand seems to have a higher ceiling..which is why I give the edge to her right now. I'm assuming given her nationals finish she will have first opportunity to claim SC host pick should she be ready. She will need that experience to prep for a home worlds.

Having said that, September is a ways away. Let's see what our ladies can get done in the warmer weather.

Marco

Ice is slippery. Everyone near or at the top is sort of injured either physically or mentally. Sure it looks like Gabby and Alaine are the frontrunners, but who knows how long their problems may persist. They have shown both this and last seasons that they can truly bomb.

I wish everyone the best of luck and hope everyone gets the rest they need to recoup / heal.

Sylvia

TBD
Alicia Pineault has also been injured but hopefully next year will be a new chapter for her.
I saw on Alicia's social media that she was featured in the Sunday editions of both Le Journal de Montréal and Le Journal de Québec as one of 16 finalists in their annual "Young Athlete Scholarships" competition :): https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2019/03/11/bourses-detudes-jeunes-athletes-2019

Direct link to read her PORTRAIT D’UNE ATHLÈTE page (in French): https://storage.quebecormedia.com/v...BE2019_Publireportage_31mars_FINAL_NOCROP.pdf

IloveFS

I respectfully disagree - Other than Osmond and Daleman, Chartrand is the only other Canadian lady to qualify for a senior women free program at the World Championships..

She was sick this year and still made it!!!!

Colonel Green

I respectfully disagree - Other than Osmond and Daleman, Chartrand is the only other Canadian lady to qualify for a senior women free program at the World Championships..
Considering only two Canadian ladies other than those three have even gone to Worlds in the last seven seasons, that’s a pretty narrow frame of reference to begin with.

Beyond which, so what?

And she did an all-doubles short program at 4CC that would have missed the cut there if there was one, and wasn’t sick there.

As previously noted, she finished last among the three Canadian ladies at 4CC, and that’s competing against two ladies with less tech than she has, one of whom, Veronik, spent much of the season waylaid with foot problems and still has the highest free skate score of the season for a Canadian lady. And Aurora spent all season with a pelvic fracture recovery, if we’re bringing illness into it, and has a triple-triple that she can rotate properly, which Alaine doesn’t. Alison’s free skate at Junior Worlds was likewise far superior technically to anything Alaine did this season (or really, the last several).

To go to Worlds next year she’ll need to be top two at Nationals. She has a shot at that, of course, but she’s in no sense sure to manage that.

ChiquitaBanana

Sophism ... You don't know how the others would have faired had they been sent only once.

mackiecat

sorry...I don't follow ladies all that much...who old is she and what else is in her wheelhouse.
In 2017 she won under 10 prejuv in Ontario, 2018, she won Juv under 12 with double axel.
2018 she added triple loop at prenovice but was getting < . There was a video last week of her landing triple flip too. Not sure how old she is but she is a personality on ice.

barbarafan

In 2017 she won under 10 prejuv in Ontario, 2018, she won Juv under 12 with double axel.
2018 she added triple loop at prenovice but was getting < . There was a video last week of her landing triple flip too. Not sure how old she is but she is a personality on ice.
Thanks...I will watch for her next competitions....I guess that will be summer.

IloveFS

Considering only two Canadian ladies other than those three have even gone to Worlds in the last seven seasons, that’s a pretty narrow frame of reference to begin with.

Beyond which, so what?

And she did an all-doubles short program at 4CC that would have missed the cut there if there was one, and wasn’t sick there.

As previously noted, she finished last among the three Canadian ladies at 4CC, and that’s competing against two ladies with less tech than she has, one of whom, Veronik, spent much of the season waylaid with foot problems and still has the highest free skate score of the season for a Canadian lady. And Aurora spent all season with a pelvic fracture recovery, if we’re bringing illness into it, and has a triple-triple that she can rotate properly, which Alaine doesn’t. Alison’s free skate at Junior Worlds was likewise far superior technically to anything Alaine did this season (or really, the last several).

To go to Worlds next year she’ll need to be top two at Nationals. She has a shot at that, of course, but she’s in no sense sure to manage that.

Aurora was at Worlds and failed to qualify for the free program. Chartrand's main competition (I think) will come from Mallet. Schumacher doesn't have the body of work yet to be really considered.

Colonel Green

Aurora was at Worlds and failed to qualify for the free program.
So what?

Next year’s World team will be selected based on next year’s Nationals (and next season, to some extent, though Nationals placements are the main thing with Skate Canada).

Chartrand's main competition (I think) will come from Mallet. Schumacher doesn't have the body of work yet to be really considered.
If Schumacher wins silver at Nationals, she’d be the presumptive second lady, even if they had to get her the minimums. See also, Cotop getting a spot despite not having the minimums and not having competed very much to that point in the season.

The only current Canadian lady who has a body of work in any real sense is Daleman (which is, of course, why she went to Saitama despite placing fifth at Nationals).

Dobre

No, we cannot predict the second spot--or even the first--a year in advance for the Canadian ladies. And no, I haven't seen anything (from Cotop or anyone else) that would indicate that Alaine doesn't have as good a shot as the rest. She did help earn the spot. She does have experience that is a benefit sometimes. And she has struggled a lot and lost out herself. She knows there are no guarantees, but good on her for striving to face the challenges.

coppertop1

Gabby is safe no matter what. Even after she finished fifth and had not competed all year, they still sent her. So, I don't see her losing her spot unless she's injured a can't skate. If Alaine falters, she comes lose her spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information