2019 ISU Challenger Series

Sylvia

TBD
Decisions of the Council published in ISU Communication No. 2234 today include the 10 ISU Challenger Series in Figure Skating locations/dates this fall (ETA) and the ISU has provided a press release for both GP and CS: https://www.isu.org/media-centre/pr...657-isu-gp-and-challenger-series-2019-20/file

The Council approved the Challenger Series in Figure Skating Calendar for the season 2019/20 as follows:

Autumn Classic International Oakville, ON / CAN Sep 12-14, 2019
Lombardia Trophy Bergamo / ITA Sep 13-15, 2019
U.S. International Figure Skating Classic Salt Lake City / USA Sep 17-22, 2019 *including Pair Skating*
Nepela Memorial 2019 Bratislava / SVK Sep 19-21, 2019
Nebelhorn Trophy Oberstdorf / GER Sep 25-28, 2019 *including Pair Skating*
Finlandia Trophy Espoo / FIN Oct 11-13, 2019 *including Pair Skating*
Ice Star Minsk / BLR Oct 18-20, 2019 [CS debut in 2017]
Asian Open Figure Skating Classic Taipei City / TPE Oct 30-Nov 3, 2019 (CS debut was last year; last held in Taipei 2014)
Warsaw Cup Warsaw / POL Nov 14-17, 2019 *including Pair Skating*
Golden Spin of Zagreb Zagreb / CRO Dec 4-7, 2019 *including Pair Skating*

(edited to indicate above which CS events will include pairs)

Last edited:

nimi

Decisions of the Council published in ISU Communication No. 2234 today include the 10 ISU Challenger Series in Figure Skating locations/dates this fall (ETA) and the ISU has provided a press release for both GP and CS: https://www.isu.org/media-centre/pr...657-isu-gp-and-challenger-series-2019-20/file

The Council approved the Challenger Series in Figure Skating Calendar for the season 2019/20 as follows:

Lombardia Trophy Bergamo / ITA Sep 13-15, 2019
U.S. International Figure Skating Classic Salt Lake City / USA Sep 17-22, 2019
Nepela Memorial 2019 Bratislava / SVK Sep 19-21, 2019
Nebelhorn Trophy Oberstdorf / GER Sep 25-28, 2019
Finlandia Trophy Espoo / FIN Oct 11-13, 2019
Ice Star Minsk / BLR Oct 18-20, 2019 [CS debut in 2017]
Asian Open Figure Skating Classic Taipei City / TPE Oct 30-Nov 3, 2019 (location rotates every year)
Warsaw Cup Warsaw / POL Nov 14-17, 2019
Golden Spin of Zagreb Zagreb / CRO Dec 4-7, 2019
N.B. pairs fans: The communication says that U.S. Int. Classic, Nebelhorn, Finlandia, Warsaw Cup and Golden Spin are going to be the 5 CS competitions that'll include pairs.

And in case there are synchro fans reading this: There will also be a synchro CS held next season, they will announce more info later.

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks, @nimi :) - I had originally copied out the CS locations/dates from the Decisions of the Council document that indicated which CS included pairs events, and when I replaced my original text with the ISU press release's I forgot to add the Pairs back in (just did it).

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Wasn't there talk of moving US Classic to Raf's new training center in CA, or was I totally hallucinating that?

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ I think fans were just speculating a while back? The main rink (FivePoint Arena) at Great Park Ice in Irvine, CA has seating for 2,500 (ETA: should be enough for a small international such as U.S. Classic?). It was used as the secondary practice rink for 4CC in Anaheim.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

N.B. pairs fans: The communication says that U.S. Int. Classic, Nebelhorn, Finlandia, Warsaw Cup and Golden Spin are going to be the 5 CS competitions that'll include pairs.
Wait, so they cut the number of pairs competitions by half but one of them is still being held at altitude at the US Classic where the pairs are constantly gasping for breath? :gallopin1

clairecloutier

Wait, so they cut the number of pairs competitions by half but one of them is still being held at altitude at the US Classic where the pairs are constantly gasping for breath? :gallopin1

And, they scheduled 2 of the 5 CS events with pairs (Warsaw/Golden Spin) on the same weekends as Grand Prix events (Rostelecom/GP Final). :saint:

Last edited:

Dobre

And they've kept the Asian Open as a CS and moved it out of August clear to October.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
What can I say I still want my pairs at all events, even if only 4 teams show up....

So first one this season will be Canada & Italy, and US pushed back a week?

This past season there were 11 CS events?

mag

Autumn Classic and US International seem to have swapped dates

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
And when is Liberty this summer? I’m determined to go because I can’t see live skating until Worlds in Montreal.

Sylvia

TBD
And when is Liberty this summer?
Dates for both the Philadelphia summer club competition and international in Aston, PA are July 30 - August 3, 2019.

ETA: Just checked and the full list of 2018-19 season international competitions was published by the ISU on May 15, 2018.

Sylvia

TBD
So how many entries is each country allowed per discipline at a CS event? Is it 3?
It varies by host country. For example, the 2018 CS Nebelhorn Trophy announcement reads:
Each ISU Member has the right to nominate up to two (2) competitors/couples for each event in the NEBELHORN TROPHY 2018. In case of too many entries, the Organizer may limit (reduce) the final entries.
There will be a list of alternate skaters/couples, if more entry requests arrive than the limited number as to paragraph a) below.
a) There will, in principle, be a total of 30 competitors in each individual discipline, 16 Pairs and 25 Ice Dance couples.

The 2018 CS Finlandia Trophy announcement reads:
Each ISU Member may enter maximum of three (3) skaters per category in the single skating events and maximum of two (2) Ice Dance couples and Pairs.
The OC reserves the right to limit the number of entries to 24 in each individual discipline, 12 Pairs and 15 Ice Dance couples.

USFS covers the travel/accommodation expenses for their skaters and coaches to CS events so the number of entries per event will depend on their annual budget for internationals. They assigned skaters to all 10 CS events last year but did not send anyone to Minsk 2 years ago.

wickedwitch

It varies by host country. For example, the 2018 CS Nebelhorn Trophy announcement reads:
Each ISU Member has the right to nominate up to two (2) competitors/couples for each event in the NEBELHORN TROPHY 2018. In case of too many entries, the Organizer may limit (reduce) the final entries.
There will be a list of alternate skaters/couples, if more entry requests arrive than the limited number as to paragraph a) below.
a) There will, in principle, be a total of 30 competitors in each individual discipline, 16 Pairs and 25 Ice Dance couples.

The 2018 CS Finlandia Trophy announcement reads:
Each ISU Member may enter maximum of three (3) skaters per category in the single skating events and maximum of two (2) Ice Dance couples and Pairs.
The OC reserves the right to limit the number of entries to 24 in each individual discipline, 12 Pairs and 15 Ice Dance couples.
I'm hoping events will allow for three pairs per country this season.

seabm7

Asian Open Figure Skating Classic Taipei City / TPE Oct 30-Nov 3, 2019 (CS debut was last year; last held in Taipei 2014)

And they've kept the Asian Open as a CS and moved it out of August clear to October.

There is a rumor that Asian Open Figure Skating Classic is a new competition, separate from Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy.

http://ctsu.com.tw/2019/2019-亞洲公開花式滑冰錦標賽-代表隊名單/

According to the pdf file from the webpage, Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy happens August 7-11, 2019 at Dongguan, China.

Last edited:

insideedgeua

There is a rumor that Asian Open Figure Skating Classic is a new competition, separate from Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy.

http://ctsu.com.tw/2019/2019-亞洲公開花式滑冰錦標賽-代表隊名單/

According to the pdf file from the webpage, Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy happens August 7-11, 2019 at Dongguan, China.

Not a rumor at all. They are indeed two separate competitions with confusingly similar names.

The event in August is being held in China but it will be run by the Hong Kong Figure Skating Association. Someone on the ISU Technical Panel was telling me about this. The only difference is they gave slightly different dates, as the 5th to the 9th of August.

Enchanted

It might have been useful to re-think the name for a new competition in order to avoid people to mix these two competitions. :shuffle:

Sylvia

TBD
Tickets will go on sale on Friday, June 14 at 10 am Eastern time: https://skatecanada.ca/2019/06/ticket-info-2019-autumn-classic-international/

ETA:
Finlandia Trophy Espoo / FIN Oct 11-13, 2019 including Pair Skating
2019 Finlandia Trophy all event tickets went on sale on May 28: https://www.finlandiatrophy.com/en/2019/05/28/all-event-liput-myynnissa/

GSD thread for the full list of 2019-20 season international competitions is here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-international-competitions-published.105623/

Last edited:

kalamalka

Tickets will go on sale on Friday, June 14 at 10 am Eastern time: https://skatecanada.ca/2019/06/ticket-info-2019-autumn-classic-international/

ETA:

2019 Finlandia Trophy all event tickets went on sale on May 28: https://www.finlandiatrophy.com/en/2019/05/28/all-event-liput-myynnissa/

GSD thread for the full list of 2019-20 season international competitions is here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-international-competitions-published.105623/

There's a pre-sale for Autumn Classic International (per a SC e-mail today) June 13, 10am-10pm EDT. Code: FANS

Tavi

I wish we knew the cost. Also wish we knew the skaters of course.

It’s about CAD$105 for all event / $35 per day (Thurs/Fri/Sat). That’s about US$80. Last year I got 3 day passes and had same practice access as all event ticket holders. They generally release names about a month before event. Since Hanyu has gone several times, tickets sell out very quickly at both presale and to general public, so if you’re interested I’d try first thing. If Hanyu ends up not going, there will probably be a lot of resale closer to event date. Same thing with hotels.

gatorinfl

It’s about CAD$105 for all event / $35 per day (Thurs/Fri/Sat). That’s about US$80. Last year I got 3 day passes and had same practice access as all event ticket holders. They generally release names about a month before event. Since Hanyu has gone several times, tickets sell out very quickly at both presale and to general public, so if you’re interested I’d try first thing. If Hanyu ends up not going, there will probably be a lot of resale closer to event date. Same thing with hotels.
Thanks. That’s a good price so I’ll buy and hope that either Hanyu or Medvedeva is on the roster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information