Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Medvedeva

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Eleva Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Evgenia Medvedeva for ria.ru (please click the original link...)

EV: The pressure during the ladies competition in Saitama was obvious. How did you take it and how was your skate?
EM: It was over so fast. I was skating first in my group, which is unusual for me- am more used being one of the last. After the draw I as a bit upset about it and was thinking how will it work? And then understood it was working for the best. I mean during the 6 minutes warm up I didn't really do much - I was in too much pain.

EV: Were you injured?
EM: I didn't even understand what happened. We didn't speak to the doctors, but since I feel better today I guess it's nothing major. Just that my leg hurt really badly before the LP. So badly I had to switch on the `animal mode' and pull all my fighting qualities together. I wouldn't say the LP skate was super hard - physically, yes, because I had to overcome the pain.

EV: It seemed to me your only technical mistake - the underotation of the 2A was because you were going too fast into the jump.
EM: I don't know. I wasn't really thinking while skating. I just felt.

EV: You were skating in autopilot?
EM: Not quite. I was controlling every move. But `controlling' and `thinking' are different things. It's one thing controlling your body - how to move the arm or lift the head. A different thinking of the speed `am I going too fast? If am going too fast what does it mean? What will happen if..' Such thoughts are a dead end. You might as well stop right there and not skate.

EV: When you knew for sure you medalled one of the Russian coaches said `No one except for Zhenya herself believed she can do it'. Were you feeling that lack of belief in you?
EM: I assume there probably are people who did not believe in me, but I don't mind. I know I have Brian and Tracey and the `Cricket Club' team, Jason Brown, who became a true friend and someone to lean on. Am surrounded by so many amazing people.

EV: It's unusual in your sports.
EM: True! Am so lucky. I was really luck that my life changed so much after the Olympics and I found all these people. Am so grateful to Misha Ge, who I've known for a long time. In general I felt quite confident this competition. It's very important feeling not only the coaching support, but the human support. Those people, who don't really need anything from you, but you know they are behind you.

EV: In Russia you spent many years in a very strict conditions. Was it scary to learn once you moved to Canada that figure skating might be so different?
EM: OF course. For example there was a period when I was afraid to learn I can decide on the amount of practices, I can pick the road to my goal. I was afraid to pick the easiest.

EV: Were you tempted?
EM: I'll be true. A human always chooses the easiest path. There were moments when I was weak.

EV: You mean the weight you gained?
EM: The weight and the work - I was not always able to remain in the strict boundaries, though that wasn't really hard - after all am used to work hard during the practices. I needed time to learn I shouldn't be afraid. Because first am surrounded by people who will advice if things go wrong and second - am not a person to drop things in the middle.

EV: During that time were there moments when you didn't believe things will work out?
EM: Frankly? Yes. After the SP at the Nationals, for example. After the GP in France. The SP in Skate Canada was a big disappointment - it was really hard to set myself to keep skating at the competition. I spent the whole night with no sleep, lost 2.5 kilos. But think all that made me stronger.

EV: Were you afraid after the Russian Cup, when the Worlds became real? You probably understood after such a season you had no longer had a right to make a mistake?
EM: I understood all that. But I was not afraid, I was confident. And very focused. We - the whole team- worked so much for that competition. If you only knew how much Jason Brown, Yuzu Hanyu, Cha Jun-hwan work! Really, it's something you need to see - how hard they work in the practices. After such work there was no way one would skate badly.
On the other hand the athletes are always hesitating about some things. No one really knows what we are capable of. Hence there is never a 100% certainty. The only thing that I was not worried about, but kept under the control - not to let the nerves get over me at the right moment.

EV: Do you mind the medal you took is bronze and not gold?
EM: Not at all. I was standing on the podium and thinking I overcame myself. The girls who beat me - kudos to them and I know how much Alina and Elizabeth had worked. They are pushing our sport and it's amazing.
Just that for me the Worlds were a competition where I did't compare my result to the others. The same as comparing this competition to the rest of the season. It's uncomparable. And am proud of myself.

EV: Are you serious?
EM: totally. I think I learn a very important lesson. Every athlete goes to a competition thinking of a victory. It's the right thing. Just that the definition of `victory' is different - depending on the circumstances. Taking these circumstances -I won. The Worlds were a special competition and the colour of the medal is not important.

EV: When in the middle of the season you decided to give up the SP that was created by Sandra Bezic and David Wilson were you feeling uncomfortable with them?
EM: It's a decision we made together - the whole team. Sandra supports me so much, so does David. They both, even before I did, realized that programme demanded too much changes, which I was not yet ready for. It was hard to deal with all the tasks at once. There were no hard feelings.

EV: In the press room after the Ladies competition you could hear `Zhenya is back!'. Do you agree you are back to the state when you were coming out there competing and not worried at all about the result?
EM: It's different. Am still learning to control that state. The worlds became a point of no return. Am sure from here it will only improve. Brian, Tracey and I know how to communicate, work, reach the goals. I changed yet stayed the same and it's all - me. I can't say am missing what stayed in the past. I used to take all the competitions the same.

EV: The cage opens - off you go?
EM: More or less. Now it's so much richer and colourful. There are new feelings. Perhaps I still have stuff to explore - there are still situations in which am not certain what to expect, but I like moving in that direction, learning, growing. It happens contiously. Like it happens in the finals. If I was not mad before the LP, if I did not turn my inner energy there was no such a result.

EV: How hard was the 13 hours difference in Saitama?
EM: How is it special? Osmond took the bronze at the Olympics in Korea. She was skating with the same time difference there.

EV: There is more time to overcome the jetlag at the Olympics.
EM: I don't think anyone cares. The only important thing is how do you skate when you go out there. The rest is redundant. From my experience: the jetlag catches me when I start thinking about it. Sleeping badly and waking up early happens back in Canada as well.

EV: How important is the weight control for you now?
EM: I control all that I eat - I started thinking about it a year ago - right after the Olympics. Prior to that there was no control at all: sometimes I would just grab one snack of chocolate the whole day. I was constantly afraid I'll get on the weight and there will be an additional 100gr. I work closely with a nuitrician who Brian recommended and think less of what do I see on the weight, but the BMI. Even in the Russian Cup in Novogorsk I was told many saw the difference in my body, I look more athletic. Even though I don't quite agree yet.

EV: What do you mean?
EM: I don't yet have a body I want to have. In order to learn the harder jumps the body must be like machine. And I'll have it. I just need time and patience. Melissa, the nutritionist, has a huge experience working with the Canadian ballet dancers. During the time we have been working together the amount of fat went down and amount of muscle increased. The weight remained the same.

EV: Were you worried when you started gaining weight after the Olympics?
EM: I understood I can overcome all my eating problems just by actually eating. When you keep a very strict diet for many years, basically go hungry for a long while you need time to come to a conclusion if there is food in the fridge you don't need to finish it at once. It will still be in the fridge next time. Once I understood it the weight started getting back to normal.
I was never a big fan of pastry, a place of blueberries is much taster. And is better for the ligaments, lifts the spirits and just 200 calories for a bucket, so to say. I can't say I count the calories all the time, but I switched to the portioned food. All the changes in my body that people notice are mainly thanks to that.

EV: What was the toughest time weight wise for you?
EM: The Olympic season. I knew I had to be as `dry' as possible. I weighted in Korea 1.5kg less than a year before that at the Worlds in Helsinki. It was a hard time, but I had no choice. Otherwise I would simply not be able to skate that programme. I didn't have much muscles, which caused the body to keep the water. You become `heavy' and `swell'. Hence it was really tough and I did damage my body. Fortunately, now it's all behind me.

EV: I think you know better than me how rapidly the ladies skating changes and what do you need to do to keep up. Any ideas?
EM: Of course. We spoke about it with Brian and Tracey. My idea of longlivety in the figure skating does not mean I'll keep skating the SP with a 3f3t forever. I will learn the harder jumps, a higher content, work on the other aspects.

EV: Can you be more detailed?
EM: I'd rather not. Why rush it?

EV: How active are you in the social networks right now?
EM: Not that active. I taught myself to spend less time there and it's a good thing. I stopped mending with nonsense, worry less what other think about me. I really stopped minding the others point of view. Of course there are things that might hurt me, but it's not that stuff that is written on the internet. I used to mind. Not anymore. Those who post the comments on instagram never made any decisions for me and they never will.

EV: Who was the most unusual person you met this year, outside the skating?
EM: I dwell deeply in the music after the Olympics. First I met Kris Kostov - we were taking part in a TV show together. I met Yuri Pack there, his singing name is Haru. I.e. I was suddenly surrounded by the singers and musicians. Which was great - prior to that I was deeply in KPop and was only listening to the Korean music.
Now among my favourite songs, for example, is `Shallow' by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, i.e. my musical taste expanded. I can even hold a conversation about the music now.

EV: The known athletes are often invited to participate the popular TV shows. You did some. Is there a project you'd like to take part now?
EM: The project I want to participate the most is the 2022 Olympics. Nothing is more important in my life right now.

Last edited:

canbelto

Eleva Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Evgenia Medvedeva for ria.ru (please click the original link...)

EV: How important is the weight control for you now?
EM: I control all that I eat - I started thinking about it a year ago - right after the Olympics. Prior to that there was no control at all: sometimes I would just grab one bad of chocolate the whole day. I was constantly afraid I'll get on the weight and there will be an additional 100gr. I work closely with a nuitrician who Brian recommended and think less of what do I see on the weight, but the BMI. Even in the Russian Cup in Novogorsk I was told many saw the difference in my body, I look more athletic. Even though I don't quite agree yet.

EV: What do you mean?
EM: I don't yet have a body I want to have. In order to learn the harder jumps the body must be like machine. And I'll have it. I just need time and patience. Melissa, the nutritionist, has a huge experience working with the Canadian ballet dancers. During the time we have been working together the amount of fat went down and amount of muscle increased. The weight remained the same.

EV: Were you worried when you started gaining weight after the Olympics?
EM: I understood I can overcome all my eating problems just by actually eating. When you keep a very strict diet for many years, basically go hungry for a long while you need time to come to a conclusion if there is food in the fridge you don't need to finish it at once. It will still be in the fridge next time. Once I understood it the weight started getting back to normal.
I was never a big fan of pastry, a place of blueberries is much taster. And is better for the ligaments, lifts the spirits and just 200 calories for a bucket, so to say. I can't say I count the calories all the time, but I switched to the portioned food. All the changes in my body that people notice are mainly thanks to that.

EV: What was the toughest time weight wise for you?
EM: The Olympic season. I knew I had to be as `dry' as possible. I weighted in Korea 1.5kg less than a year before that at the Worlds in Helsinki. It was a hard time, but I had no choice. Otherwise I would simply not be able to skate that programme. I didn't have much muscles, which caused the body to keep the water. You become `heavy' and `swell'. Hence it was really tough and I did damage my body. Fortunately, now it's all behind me.

Holy s__t. If this doesn't scream disordered eating I don't know what does.

Spun Silver

This is a description (I think) of Eteri's rationale for limiting how much water her students can drink and the damage to the body that causes. I hope Alina reads this interview and takes this section to heart, but there is little hope of that while she is with Eteri, and Alina will (apparently) never leave her. Which means Alina is liable to get the same type of injury.... 😢

This is the first time I read that Sandra Bezic had a hand in the OCS SP. No wonder I liked it so much.

I'm so glad Med is confident and happy about her training setup in Canada and the new way of eating and building strength that she's learned there. She has taken control of her career and feels great about it! She has a plan and nothing in her power is going to get in her way. She is not giving way to the jumping beans. I wish her all the continued development and success she is going for. :respec::cheer::cheer2:

elka_sk8

Thanks for sharing! It couldn’t have been an easy year for her but she has such a good attitude about it. Happy that she seems to have settled in at Cricket Club and has a good support network. Glad that she ended the season on a high note and can’t wait to see how she continues to develop next season. :cheer2:

Japanfan

EM: The Olympic season. I knew I had to be as `dry' as possible. I weighted in Korea 1.5kg less than a year before that at the Worlds in Helsinki. It was a hard time, but I had no choice. Otherwise I would simply not be able to skate that programme. I didn't have much muscles, which caused the body to keep the water. You become `heavy' and `swell'. Hence it was really tough and I did damage my body.

Scary.

And the notion that a water-deprived person will become heavy and swell from drinking water is a bit :confused: I can understand that a person obsessed with weight might feel that way, but it's a terrible mindset for an athlete.

Daena

Oh yeah. I remember so well all those posts on Russian forums about Medvedeva being so skinny because genes and work. "She's reading your silly posts about her hunger right now while eating hamburger and laughing at you, haters!"
Pity old FSO forums archives are lost, I would like to search this particular post and discuss it with its author (it impressed me so much, I remember it verbatim, though not poster's name, unfortunately)

Perky Shae Lynn

I don't care what results these "coaching methods" (aka starvation and water deprivation) get - I wouldn't want my children anywhere near them. And idiots out there criticize Medvedeva for her "heavier body". The girl is learning how to eat normally at 19 years old. Ugh. She must be incredibly mentally strong to withstand the circumstances of the last couple of years.

Tinami Amori

The situation with "what Medvedeva said about her diet and past struggles" is getting pathetic.

This girls is starting to sound ridiculous, she is lying, and/or twisting facts, saying what's convenient at the moment, and what will "present her in best light" right now. She keeps changing her "diet" story every few months, and it has even been noted by some journalists and her former fans, that she keeps doing it not just with "diet"..

If those who don't read Russian press/listen to TV/videos, or her die hard fans, want to "buy her fake-stories" and see her as a victim, it's one's option. But then there are facts, documented on paper and on video...

End of April 2018, when she left Eteri, and was hosting in Avebuch/Tarasova show.
https://www.sovsport.ru/figure/news/1048042-evgenija-medvedeva-specialnaja-dieta-menshe-zhrat
Medvedeva asked about diet:
"Special diet? (yes..) Don't fress! (don't pig out). During taping of "Ice Age", i ate no breakfast, lunch or dinner. My brain was going numb. Next day the same. I worked my best because i ate chocolate."

– Есть специальная диета?
– Меньше жрать. При этом я не могу жить без глюкозы и углеводов. Недавно мы записывали «Ледниковый период», и у меня был достаточно длинный текст. Я понимала, что просто стою с микрофоном и мой мозг абсолютно «не варит». В тот день я не завтракала и не обедала, просто кофе выпила. На следующий день тоже была запись, и я уже не допустила такой ошибки, отработала на максимум благодаря шоколадкам.

February 28, 2018 (olympics year, competition is over, and all that followed)
- interview with Zhenya's mother
https://tass.ru/interviews/4987511
- What is Zhenya's feeding regime?
- The most important is the right food. We watch calories, we eat right properly/well balanced, and correctly according to the rules of 2.5 times a day. Breakfast and dinner is mandatory, and a banana for dinner. No food 3 hours before sleep for Zhenya, like for any normal woman. Skaters eat like models.

— Каков режим питания у Жени?
— Самое главное — правильная еда. Мы соблюдаем калораж, питаемся полноценно и правильно по принципу два с половиной раза. Завтрак и обед обязательно, и банан, к примеру, на ужин. За три часа до сна, как всякая нормальная женщина, Женя не ест. Фигуристы питаются так же, как модели.

February 3, 2018
https://russian.rt.com/sport/article/355949-evgeniya-medvedeva-intervyu
- How do you eat if it is not a secret?
- due to my training schedule, it works out to 3 times a day: breakfast, lunch dinner. dinner is sometimes light. I have to practices per day, and eat before, during and after (each one) because there is time.
- How did your relationship developed since you started working together?
- It started long time ago, i was 8 years old. She practically raised me, a lot of time we spend together. She constantly teaches me something new. Many noticed that have inherited some of her traits.
- What makes Eteri special, how is she different from other coaches?

- Her ability to combine expectations of discipline with a positive atmosphere. Our training atmosphere is strict, but fun. We come out on the ice with an understanding that we need to work and it is our profession. But every thing is set up "on a light note" (lightly), that there is no unnecessary tension during training

— Как вы питаетесь, если не секрет?
— Из-за расписания тренировок получается три раза в день: завтрак, обед и ужин. Ужин иногда бывает лёгким. У меня по две тренировки в день. До, после и между ними как раз есть время.
— Насколько изменились ваши отношения с Этери Тутберидзе с тех пор, как вы познакомились?
— Это было очень-очень давно, мне было восемь лет. Фактически она меня воспитала, очень много времени мы проводили вместе. Всё время она меня учила чему-то новому. Даже можно заметить, что мне передались некоторые её черты.
— В чём исключительность Этери Георгиевны, чем она отличается от других тренеров?
— Умением совмещать требовательность с позитивной атмосферой. Тренировки проходят в строгой обстановке, но весело. Мы выходим на лёд с понимаем, что нужно работать, что это наша профессия. Но всё проходит так легко, что нет никакого лишнего напряжения на тренировках.

.... and there are much more..... how well she eats, and how great Eteri is and how she is her 2nd mother.

Medvedeva screwed up, acted indecently on SO many counts, and now digging her way out of this "to save face".
She still has fans yes.... But she also lost many, and they are speaking out "because of her lies, deceit and being two-faced and a soar loser". (copies from chats are available, in Russian.... MANY!!)

Tinami Amori

Well, if she's that hated in Russia, I'm sure Canada would welcome her!
She still has her fans and her following in Russia, and she'll gain some previous ones back if she stops being two-faced and manipulate information, and makes amends with Eteri, in a proper way.

... and to be honest, Spun Silver, your attitude imo is not right, along with others who condone "wrong doings". It sounds like "what bad for Russia, is great for US and Canada" or "if Russians say she did something bad, then for us "westerners" she did something right". Decency is universal. Lies, twisting facts, manipulating, jealousy, unfair treatment of others, is "bad" everywhere.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
The situation with "what Medvedeva said about her diet and past struggles" is getting pathetic.

This girls is starting to sound ridiculous, she is lying, and/or twisting facts, saying what's convenient at the moment, and what will "present her in best light" right now. She keeps changing her "diet" story every few months, and it has even been noted by some journalists and her former fans, that she keeps doing it not just with "diet"..

If those who don't read Russian press/listen to TV/videos, or her die hard fans, want to "buy her fake-stories" and see her as a victim, it's one's option. But then there are facts, documented on paper and on video...

End of April 2018, when she left Eteri, and was hosting in Avebuch/Tarasova show.
https://www.sovsport.ru/figure/news/1048042-evgenija-medvedeva-specialnaja-dieta-menshe-zhrat
Medvedeva asked about diet:
"Special diet? (yes..) Don't fress! (don't pig out). During taping of "Ice Age", i ate no breakfast, lunch or dinner. My brain was going numb. Next day the same. I worked my best because i ate chocolate."

– Есть специальная диета?
– Меньше жрать. При этом я не могу жить без глюкозы и углеводов. Недавно мы записывали «Ледниковый период», и у меня был достаточно длинный текст. Я понимала, что просто стою с микрофоном и мой мозг абсолютно «не варит». В тот день я не завтракала и не обедала, просто кофе выпила. На следующий день тоже была запись, и я уже не допустила такой ошибки, отработала на максимум благодаря шоколадкам.

February 28, 2018 (olympics year, competition is over, and all that followed)
- interview with Zhenya's mother
https://tass.ru/interviews/4987511
- What is Zhenya's feeding regime?
- The most important is the right food. We watch calories, we eat right properly/well balanced, and correctly according to the rules of 2.5 times a day. Breakfast and dinner is mandatory, and a banana for dinner. No food 3 hours before sleep for Zhenya, like for any normal woman. Skaters eat like models.

— Каков режим питания у Жени?
— Самое главное — правильная еда. Мы соблюдаем калораж, питаемся полноценно и правильно по принципу два с половиной раза. Завтрак и обед обязательно, и банан, к примеру, на ужин. За три часа до сна, как всякая нормальная женщина, Женя не ест. Фигуристы питаются так же, как модели.

February 3, 2018
https://russian.rt.com/sport/article/355949-evgeniya-medvedeva-intervyu
- How do you eat if it is not a secret?
- due to my training schedule, it works out to 3 times a day: breakfast, lunch dinner. dinner is sometimes light. I have to practices per day, and eat before, during and after (each one) because there is time.
- How did your relationship developed since you started working together?
- It started long time ago, i was 8 years old. She practically raised me, a lot of time we spend together. She constantly teaches me something new. Many noticed that have inherited some of her traits.
- What makes Eteri special, how is she different from other coaches?

- Her ability to combine expectations of discipline with a positive atmosphere. Our training atmosphere is strict, but fun. We come out on the ice with an understanding that we need to work and it is our profession. But every thing is set up "on a light note" (lightly), that there is no unnecessary tension during training

— Как вы питаетесь, если не секрет?
— Из-за расписания тренировок получается три раза в день: завтрак, обед и ужин. Ужин иногда бывает лёгким. У меня по две тренировки в день. До, после и между ними как раз есть время.
— Насколько изменились ваши отношения с Этери Тутберидзе с тех пор, как вы познакомились?
— Это было очень-очень давно, мне было восемь лет. Фактически она меня воспитала, очень много времени мы проводили вместе. Всё время она меня учила чему-то новому. Даже можно заметить, что мне передались некоторые её черты.
— В чём исключительность Этери Георгиевны, чем она отличается от других тренеров?
— Умением совмещать требовательность с позитивной атмосферой. Тренировки проходят в строгой обстановке, но весело. Мы выходим на лёд с понимаем, что нужно работать, что это наша профессия. Но всё проходит так легко, что нет никакого лишнего напряжения на тренировках.

.... and there are much more..... how well she eats, and how great Eteri is and how she is her 2nd mother.

Medvedeva screwed up, acted indecently on SO many counts, and now digging her way out of this "to save face".
She still has fans yes.... But she also lost many, and they are speaking out "because of her lies, deceit and being two-faced and a soar loser". (copies from chats are available, in Russian.... MANY!!)

WOW! I realize there are cultural differences, but I don't see that Medveda acted indecently at all.

Zazy

Tinami, you do realize that someone starving themselves is generally not going to admit that in an interview? Most of the stuff skaters say about their diet in the press is probably stretching the truth a bit - and that doesn't make them terrible people.

Without any background information, I think it's unfair to pin this on Eteri, as disordered eating is a generalized problem across the sport. Although multiple Russian skaters have brought up limiting water intake and I do wonder where exactly they're getting that information from - it's really dangerous.

Ultimately, I don't see how Medvedeva talking about learning to eat well can possibly be seen as a negative. Some people will see any praise of her current situation as a dig at Eteri but maybe she just needed something different at this point in her life/career.

barbarafan

She still has her fans and her following in Russia, and she'll gain some previous ones back if she stops being two-faced and manipulate information, and makes amends with Eteri, in a proper way.

... and to be honest, Spun Silver, your attitude imo is not right, along with others who condone "wrong doings". It sounds like "what bad for Russia, is great for US and Canada" or "if Russians say she did something bad, then for us "westerners" she did something right". Decency is universal. Lies, twisting facts, manipulating, jealousy, unfair treatment of others, is "bad" everywhere.
So basically by your definition Eteri is bad. Got it. Eteri acted like a bitter viscious psycho fish wife and got called on it. She needs to send a big bouquet of flowers to Med and apologize.

Tinami Amori

Without any background information, I think it's unfair to pin this on Eteri, as disordered eating is a generalized problem across the sport. Although multiple Russian skaters have brought up limiting water intake and I do wonder where exactly they're getting that information from - it's really dangerous.

Ultimately, I don't see how Medvedeva talking about learning to eat well can possibly be seen as a negative. Some people will see any praise of her current situation as a dig at Eteri but maybe she just needed something different at this point in her life/career.

It is wonderful that Medvedeva is learning to eat well, or any person, athlete learning to take care of one's health.

That is not the issue. The issue is that there are people who are ready to pounce on Eteri for ANY thing they can pin on her. When she speaks about "better eating habits now", it gives others an opportunity to jump on Eteri and accuse her of starving her students.

You said it is unfair to pin it on Eteri? you're right! But most people use Medvedeva's words against Eteri. Medvedeva knows it. She knows there are "rumors" about Eteri and diets; she knows there is "western opinion" that "russian coaches starve and mistreat their students. She uses "diet issues", praising how it is better now, to indirectly say "but before it was bad... when i was with Eteri". She and Co. know what they are doing, and part of it to get "popular in the West".

She gives absolutely conflicting stories, what was before and what is now. Plenty of people on russian chats are talking about it, rolling their eyes "oh, she is victim, who saw the light...", because these people read a lot more from Medevedeva herself, than westerners did before she came to Canada.

She sold her russian fans an image "for profit and gain", and her image was LIE.

Spun Silver

I'm not condoning wrongdoing. I am refusing to believe it without a lot more evidence than a bunch of Russian links that I don't have time to translate. You're asking me to believe a 19-year-old skater is known by Russia to be a vindictive, dishonest, unsportsmanlike, greedy person (or something like that). I find that unlikely. Is it possible? Sure? But I'm not convinced. You're the only person here promoting the theory....

As for suggesting the various things you put in quotes, please don't put words in my mouth. I said nothing of the kind and thought nothing of the kind. All I thought was: Med seems happy in Canada now. Canada could use another good lady. Russia seems to feel Zagitova-Medvedeva is an either-or proposition and has chosen the latter. (NB: I base that *entirely* on your posts which I don't really trust, so that's why my post started with the word "If" and was a bit flippant.) Ergo, maybe Med should stay in Canada for good. Logical enough.

My real views:

Both girls are very patriotic and I don't really expect Med to switch countries. But if she does, good for her and Canada. I certainly don't think she should burn on a stake and stop skating because she offended Eteri. It's too bad they parted on bad terms but it happens in skating. All. The. Time. Eteri has plenty of consolations (though I'm sorry for the loss of her mother).

Both are wonderful skaters, and charming and beautiful off the ice IMO.

I prefer Zagitova so I'm happy her achievements are honored but go, Medvedeva too!

I really find it hard to believe there is anything nefarious about Med and TBH the thought takes up zero space in my head. You'll have to try harder. :yikes: Kidding! Please don't.

I love Russian literature, music and skating way too much to be labeled as anti-Russian, even if I'm sometimes opposed to the country's leader and its political actions. I wish Russians well. Canadians too. :)

Flora

Med lived in the Sambo 70 bubble where daily weigh-ins and eating very little was the norm. When she made those comments, I'm not sure she realized she could eat healthy and skate well. I think the accusations being thrown at her are ridiculous. She was 18! You gain perspective as you grow in experiences and you see things differently. I doubt she was as calculated as is being depicted here.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
It is wonderful that Medvedeva is learning to eat well, or any person, athlete learning to take care of one's health.

That is not the issue. The issue is that there are people who are ready to pounce on Eteri for ANY thing they can pin on her. When she speaks about "better eating habits now", it gives others an opportunity to jump on Eteri and accuse her of starving her students.

You said it is unfair to pin it on Eteri? you're right! But most people use Medvedeva's words against Eteri. Medvedeva knows it. She knows there are "rumors" about Eteri and diets; she knows there is "western opinion" that "russian coaches starve and mistreat their students. She uses "diet issues", praising how it is better now, to indirectly say "but before it was bad... when i was with Eteri". She and Co. know what they are doing, and part of it to get "popular in the West".

She gives absolutely conflicting stories, what was before and what is now. Plenty of people on russian chats are talking about it, rolling their eyes "oh, she is victim, who saw the light...", because these people read a lot more from Medevedeva herself, than westerners did before she came to Canada.

She sold her russian fans an image "for profit and gain", and her image was LIE.
Oh Please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information