VGThuy

Vincent should feel proud. His PCS is building up slowly, and this time his TES only went down by like 14 points under a strict panel whereas earlier in the season he was losing like 30 or more points. He got all his jumps called clean in the SP. He now pretty much is tied internationally with Jason in the LP.

After Worlds, I really hope his team and USFS really help him get those rotations and also guide him in improving his flexibility and line. I know Tom Z. probably wouldn't want too many people interfering with his coaching, but since this is like a joint venture with Tammy, I hope he'll be a bit more open to it...or that the federation sort of forces his hand. Vincent is too much of a talent who is super ambitious technically AND does not falter under competition but instead thrives on it to keep throwing away so many points and not achieve his potential. I'd hate for him to keep losing points and thus higher rankings at competitions because of being short by quarter or a little more than a quarter on the most difficult jumps ever performed in this sport.

VGThuy

I wonder if Vincent will work with Jeff Buttle again next season or if he'll give Tom Dickson a try. Apparently, Dickson started working with Vincent this season to help him improve his carriage and other things.

skateboy

Vincent should feel proud. His PCS is building up slowly, and this time his TES only went down by like 14 points under a strict panel whereas earlier in the season he was losing like 30 or more points. He got all his jumps called clean in the SP. He now pretty much is tied internationally with Jason in the LP.

I agree. Happy to know that Vincent's 4Lz and both 3Axels were clean! (I saw that the 4S was under, I'm a little surprised the 4T was called... it was certainly close.) But I hope it will keep certain FS fans from claiming that all of Vincent's 3As and quads are URd (it won't). It seems that some just feel that Vincent's occasional UR problem negates everything else about his skating and competitiveness... sigh.

olympic

Never mind the URs. If Vincent would have just executed that 1st 3A in the LP adequately, he would be the 4CC silver medalist

VGThuy

Vincent is like a hidden dragon (lame I know). He's really ambitious and hungry to be the best, but he keeps it to himself it seems. It all comes out of him consistently going out there and skating clean programs (though with carrots). Anybody can UR which is a technique issue that needs work, but not everyone can consistently go out there and at least land on one foot all those ambitious jumps and combinations as he does carrots or no carrots. That is a mental issue and Vincent has proven he has the mind and heart of a champion. He just needs to continue to improve and work to be even better to compete with Chen and Hanyu and Shoma and Jin. I'm glad those around him helped him get through that ROUGH GP series and come back strong during the second half to some real hardware. Anybody else could have faltered under all that scrutiny. Vincent got stronger.

LeafOnTheWind

Given the bad commentators that we've gotten in the past I always appreciate anyone who bothered to show respect to figure skating. I tend to be very protective of Terry Gannon. I don't have cable anymore and only have Sports Gold so I don't see much of Nick McCarvel but I'm going to be protective of him too based on what I've heard people say. :)

skateboy

Vincent's reaction (Instagram):

"Oh. My. God. Did that really happen? Am I dreaming?

This is more than I could have hoped for and I am so humbled to share the podium with these two incredible men. It's such a rewarding feeling for the countless hours of hard work and frustration that people don't see to pay off, and boy am I grateful for that feeling to return.

I'm also thankful for my supporters, family, coaching team, and friends back home. Additionally, the volunteers and audience here in Saitama were so kind and polite. For that, thank you so much. You all have a place in my heart!!! Now, it's time to start working on expanding my performance qualities for next season. See you at the gala, and wherever luck may find you next. Thank you again ~ ありがとうございました ~ 谢谢!!!"

Spun Silver

:swoon: So touching! He's so amazed that he made the podium! I love how at the beginning he was "I don't know what I can say" and then doesn't stop talking for 8 minutes. :D Vincent always wears his heart on his sleeve, but he's matured so much over the past year in every way (including growing into his face - he's getting very handsome!). He is so multi-talented that I always worry he will quit skating early, so I'm relieved to hear that he has a great sense of potential still to be fulfilled.

This was a wild year for him. I hope Vincent's haters will now stop accusing him and Tom Z of blaming the system for his UR calls and give them all credit for working their butts off to solve that problem (obviously Vincent most of all). Vincent once beat out Nathan for the US Junior title. We could have a real rivalry in the next couple of seasons - who knows?

suki

Congratulations to Vincent. I think he is the most under-appreciated male skater. He's still young, but he has talent and drive. Remember Brian Boitano was considered a "boring" technical skater until he was older and started working with a new choreographer (Sandra Bezic). I do think the judges are more strict on calling URs on him than others, but he seems determined not to give them an inch to do so.

mtnskater

Vincent looked so good at this Worlds. I was so happy to see him medal! He improved so much from beginning to end of the season. I love his new exhibition program at Worlds. It demonstrates another step forward in improving his performance level. Excited to see what he does next season!

ETA: Vincent's new exhibition was choreographed by Joshua Farris.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Most of his jumps looked totally backwards too. Not just within 1/4. I was confused with his 4Toe being called because it looked good to me. I also thought his 3Flip in his 3Lutz/1Eu/3Flip was rotated and clean BUT I thought his 3Lutz in that combo looked under, so I was surprised to see the calling show the opposite.

Spun Silver

I happened on an almost new article on Vincent in the USFS Fanzone. It has some great insights into his work ethic and desire to improve his skating skills and artistry. He's working with Mie Hamada on knee-bend and arms "during her visits to Colorado Springs"! I had no idea she visited the US -- I guess that is an offering of Tom Z's expanded skating center (? I know I read about it in the last year but can't find any trace of it online).
https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...-to-create-some-magic-moments-in-saitama.aspx

Last edited:

CaliSteve

Vincent is like a hidden dragon (lame I know). He's really ambitious and hungry to be the best, but he keeps it to himself it seems. It all comes out of him consistently going out there and skating clean programs (though with carrots). Anybody can UR which is a technique issue that needs work, but not everyone can consistently go out there and at least land on one foot all those ambitious jumps and combinations as he does carrots or no carrots. That is a mental issue and Vincent has proven he has the mind and heart of a champion. He just needs to continue to improve and work to be even better to compete with Chen and Hanyu and Shoma and Jin. I'm glad those around him helped him get through that ROUGH GP series and come back strong during the second half to some real hardware. Anybody else could have faltered under all that scrutiny. Vincent got stronger.

TSL mentioned that he has been working with Mie Hamada and probably work with her more. This is a very good thing.

VGThuy

I was wondering why Mie Hamada was with Tammy and Tom at the boards and was jumping up and down with them at the end of his skate. I knew they were working a bit together when he posted a pic of her and Tammy and him in Osaka days before Worlds started but didn’t know the extent of it.

VGThuy

This is funny to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouTQlTc9w1I

Fall of 2016

Ted: "Are you starting to work on some quads looking towards to seniors and in the years and years to come?"

Vincent: [stoically] "For sure." Poker face.

Tammy: "Yeah, he's already doing Sal and Toe, and he's landing some Lutzes..."

Olympics 2018

First skater at the Olympics to land a Quad Lutz in history plus having some of the most quads planned in his arsenal.

Spun Silver

This is funny to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouTQlTc9w1I

Fall of 2016

Ted: "Are you starting to work on some quads looking towards to seniors and in the years and years to come?"

Vincent: [stoically] "For sure." Poker face.

Tammy: "Yeah, he's already doing Sal and Toe, and he's landing some Lutzes..."

Olympics 2018

First skater at the Olympics to land a Quad Lutz in history plus having some of the most quads planned in his arsenal.
On a light note, I also liked:

Ted: On a scale of 1-10, how much fun for you was that out there today?

Vincent: I dunno - 200,536?

I always feel for skaters having to answer stupid questions politely so I appreciate a little skater sarcasm.

CaliSteve

I was wondering why Mie Hamada was with Tammy and Tom at the boards and was jumping up and down with them at the end of his skate. I knew they were working a bit together when he posted a pic of her and Tammy and him in Osaka days before Worlds started but didn’t know the extent of it.

I hope he continues to work with her. He really needs to work on his skating skills and also his jump technique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information