Papadakis/Cizeron #8 - Oh Lover Hold On

Status
Not open for further replies.

muffinplus

... then I show them P/C and it's usually "To Build a Home" and this Yamagata FD that does it for them like in a out-of-body experience (I tried with Moonlight Sonata but most of my non-skating friends don't appreciate it),
Is it because Moonlight Sonata is less accessible than this year's program? I don't think there is anything "inaccessible" about it but maybe it takes a certain person to appreciate it...

VGThuy

Maybe. I haven't played them other Moonlight Sonatas like from G/G or Suguri or others to ascertain if it was the music or not. I think you have to watch that one more carefully than the others. Maybe with "To Build a Home" and even the Yamagata FD, there was a mood that was created that was easier to understand and P/C's expressions and choreo matched with them so well and even brought it to another level.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
It might be that Moonlight Sonata is more of an "arty" type of program, beautiful but maybe a bit more remote/cold. It was particularly appreciated by musicians because they demonstrate such a capacity to highlight every nuances of the music but I can see how it might not be a favorite. I wonder how they would respond to Oddudua because the crowd at Worlds was very touched by it. There are many shades of emotions and is imo the most intense FD of theirs. However, the choreo step sequence this year is a revelation because even though I know they have rehearse every aspects of the sequence to the last finger move, it looks like they're doing improv on ice. Their movements exude a sense of absolute freedom that is mesmerizing and that I didn't think COP would allow one day.

bcash

Nice video from On ice perspectives who was at Gadbois before the season started while they were creating their programs but only releasing the full video now.

ETA: what a mesmerizing video and I spot a brand new spin plus some interesting moves they must have chosen not to pick. I'm hoping they're indeed working on this spin for the coming season. Guillaume has the most flawless extension through his spine and this highlights it very well.

I would love to see them incorporating that spin next season. The camel position can be the most telling of a skater's flexibility and alignment. I still think the camel spin of Anton Sikharulidze and Kwan near the end of her career as undiluted visual pleasure.

bcash

Usually, my current holy trifecta does it for them. First I show them the Shibs, then P/C, and then V/M. They get all the shades and are impressed. Usually for the Shibs it's "Fix You" or "Paradise" from the Olympics and they are amazed at the unison, soft knees, their flow, the fact they're brother and sister, how attractive in a safe way they are, and love how they choreographed their elements to Coldplay (using Coldplay still amazes them because they have this perception of figure skating being all classical or soundtrack or whatever); then I show them P/C and it's usually "To Build a Home" and this Yamagata FD that does it for them like in a out-of-body experience (I tried with Moonlight Sonata but most of my non-skating friends don't appreciate it), and they almost ALWAYS comment on Guillaume's neck and body build. Then V/M takes it home and they are in love with how obviously difficult it all looks and how easy they make it look and their ability to really dance to a beat on skates.

I remember showing some friends who don't follow skating To Build A Home back in 2016 and most of the reactions were along the lines of "so beautiful it made me cry" or "wow I need to re-watch that right away". During the Olympic season a lot of people in my social circle who had formal dance training or who write about dance are very taken by P/C through their Beethoven program. A former professional ballet dancer said she was hooked as soon as she saw their opening arm movements. Another remarked on Guillaume's beautiful "deep plié". And then the Mozart program is another popular one.

VGThuy

Another reason I was so taken in by their Yamagata FD (other than me being a fan of hers already) is that a lot of pairs and ice dance teams try to portray real mature relationships between actual adult people but because of the nature of ice dance, oftentimes it can look too dramatic/theatrical/melodramatic. Nothing wrong with larger-than-life interpretations as they can be really outstanding and "worth the price of the ticket". However, it was so nice to see Gabi and Guillaume succeed so well in portraying a more grounded, real relationship between two people. I felt it was a maturity and authenticity that can some times be missing in figure skating. I admit I am much more taken with the first half and wish they were allowed to do the whole program in that way, but with the tempo change requirements and plus their desire to have it climax and show some "evolution" of the story, I can see why they couldn't do that. I actually think this was their most literal FD and still find it hard to believe some people think it's a continuation of just skating to a mood than a story, when the FD was choreographed to the lyrics and definitely showcased a story. Maybe it's because they were still able to capture the mood so well?

Miloune

I actually think this was their most literal FD and still find it hard to believe some people think it's a continuation of just skating to a mood than a story, when the FD was choreographed to the lyrics and definitely showcased a story. Maybe it's because they were still able to capture the mood so well?

Peope tend to see only what they want to see...

Viscaro

However, it was so nice to see Gabi and Guillaume succeed so well in portraying a more grounded, real relationship between two people

I agree with you completely ! It felt like my experience of relationships was put on ice. Especially the act of falling in love - it seems more an act of confort than the passion/desire that is more portrayed in dance. The time you take to trust someone was so well portrayed in the first part. And, contrary to you I also loved the second part as much because yeah after you trust someone heartbreak can still happen, and to me that's when the desperate passion comes in.

That curve lift especially is one hell of great dance lift. Of all the lifts I've seen in dance, it was one that had the most meaning to me.

GreenGan

I actually think this was their most literal FD and still find it hard to believe some people think it's a continuation of just skating to a mood than a story, when the FD was choreographed to the lyrics and definitely showcased a story. Maybe it's because they were still able to capture the mood so well?
I agree, it's their most literal FD, the second most literal one being Mozart and the less literal being Moonlight Sonata, who was just them impersonating the music.

I think a bias people might have is also that they don't make the effort to try to translate the lyrics. English is not my native language so even if I read without too much effort to provide, I have to make one if I'm listenning. I'm not making that effort when i watch ice dance, I want to be taken by the music and the mood, especially P/C. Maybe it's also the case for other people ?

muffinplus

I love the second part, especially that choreographic step sequence. I agree that none of it looks melodramatic ; it looks very real.

I'm kind of sad that this program only had 4 performances...I'm not very fond of "Shape of You" (I just hate Ed Sheeran); I am wondering if this will be their program for Stars on Ice.

deegee

I love the second part, especially that choreographic step sequence. I agree that none of it looks melodramatic ; it looks very real.

I'm kind of sad that this program only had 4 performances..
they will compete with this program at wtt, right?

deegee

That curve lift especially is one hell of great dance lift. Of all the lifts I've seen in dance, it was one that had the most meaning to me.
i cried real tears the first time i saw that lift, it gave off that feeling of full bliss in the first stages of a new relationship. it just felt so genuine, i couldn't help but cry.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
On Ice Perspectives is still sitting on some premium content
https://mobile.twitter.com/OnIcePerspectvs/status/1112881612394516481
This is just out of this world !!! I don't know how many times I've watched it today. The quality of their movements and the sheer speed of that spin is breathtaking (the author said it was most probably the fastest spin he's ever filmed in the commentary section). No wonder the judges are throwing them 10s. They see everything up close nearly like what we see on this video. So to all the people saying they are overscored, just watch this video.

Last edited:

sharsk8s

This is just out of this world !!! I don't know how many times I watch it today. The quality of their movements and the sheer speed of that spin is breathtaking (the author said it was most probably the fastest spin he's ever filmed in the commentary section). No wonder the judges are throwing them 10s. They see everything up close nearly like what we see on this video. So to all the people saying they are overscored, just watch this video.
apparently he is filming them again today, so hopefully we will get more video

laviemn

apparently he is filming them again today, so hopefully we will get more video

In the tweet I linked above, Jordan linked to OIP's Patreon account, so I wonder if this clip is teaser for video we'd have to donate money to watch.

The clip magnifies why I unapologetically love most of their lifts. The nuances that accent the music and the emotion, the way Gabi closes her eyes and rests her cheek against Guillaume's head and then both lean their shoulders to one side as he caresses the air above them, it elevates their elements beyond the requirements. To me their lifts are as effective in their programs as Chock/Bates' spectacularly athletic ones are in theirs. This choreo lift was the only element in the entire ice dance event that received perfect GOE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information