Papadakis/Cizeron #8 - Oh Lover Hold On

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcash

Short but interesting little interview post FD in French You can google translate but if it's not satisfying let me know, I can translate.
Guillaume looked exhausted at the end of the FD, the skaters mentioned the jet lag and the fact the hotel was too far to go back and forth hence resting at the rink. In this little interview, it's clear last year's pressure was incredibly intense for Gaby and Guillaume between the Olys and the more than intense rivalry with the Canadians. It took its toll so they mention taking it slowly on purpose to recharge their batteries hence an FD that is very close to their core strength yet different enough to be a springboard for the next three years.

Thanks for the link. I liked what Guillaume said about "going beyond techniques". I think that's the perfect approach for them. I'm also happy to hear Gaby affirm that they will continue to be interested in taking input from different people, perhaps outside of skating as well. (More dancers!)

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I was surprised to hear that they felt their bodies were even more tired this year. I thought starting late and not competing much had helped.
It's a bit like when you pull an all nighter and you're not feeling the effects the next day but rather the day after that. I'd say it is this time a full two years of exhausting schedule and stress. The pressure last year was compounded by their Oddudua year, which was particularly stressful with the Canadians' come back and their tough FD to master. Basically, they're probably experiencing some kind of long backlash. I suspect next year they'll be more refreshed. Plus no French tour after Worlds this year, even more time to unwind even though there's WTT, but that's short and fun I guess.

cocotaffy

For those of you who really want to listen to the French commentators during the RD here you go and if I can watch it it means this is not geoblocked. Apparently, Nelson and Candeloro really enjoyed the Russian really especially S/B whereas Annick (the woman) defended P/C were far above thanks to their extreme quality of execution, glide and attention to details plus their impressive speed (which they all noticed as they were watching live). She expected a 4 to 5 points lead while the guys were hinting it would be difficult for the judges to chose between the three couples. Anyway, our French commentators never disappoint.

Miloune

For those of you who really want to listen to the French commentators during the RD here you go and if I can watch it it means this is not geoblocked. Apparently, Nelson and Candeloro really enjoyed the Russian really especially S/B whereas Annick (the woman) defended P/C were far above thanks to their extreme quality of execution, glide and attention to details plus their impressive speed (which they all noticed as they were watching live). She expected a 4 to 5 points lead while the guys were hinting it would be difficult for the judges to chose between the three couples. Anyway, our French commentators never disappoint.

Lol Candeloro and Monfort know nothing about Ice dance..
During S/B FD, Candeloro made comments about Stepanova's outfit (as in "she'd be even more beautiful without it). Things never change unfortunately.

alain06fr

Yesterday was so fun with Gaby & Guillaume’s 4th title (should be their 5th world title btw). Anyhow, so many couples never managed to get 4 World titles.

Was also fun when Guillaume joined us in the arena for the last group of the Men competition.
A lot of fun again last night with Gaby & Guillaume during the reception organized by the French fed in the Keio Plazza hotel. Videos and photos of this reception will be in my Instagram shortly.

Last edited:

cocotaffy

Here is their FD with the two British grandpas commenting. In the RD, they were also interestingly going on about his back posture and how it is incomprehensible how he keeps it straight while being so down on his knees while keeping his hips beneath him. But the best part is how they called him "Freak of nature" :rofl: Guillaume the Freak of Nature is how he should be introduce in arenas around the world now.
ETA and a short extract of the victory ceremony

Last edited:

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
Maybe they have an offer from Japan or Korea, which I'm guessing would pay more than the French and Canadian shows. Regardless they need an agent that does more than the bare minimum of booking them for shows produced by his own agency.
I didn't know Ninon Bardel was no longer their agent. Who is it now ?

Isn't ice time a problem in France generally?
Yes, a big one.

Anyway, I never understood the core problem between Zazoui and Didier
Money, I think. Subsidies being used not the way Didier wanted them to be or something of the like.

Dong

Here is their FD with the two British grandpas commenting. In the RD, they were also interestingly going on about his back posture and how it is incomprehensible how he keeps it straight while being so down on his knees while keeping his hips beneath him.
Salut tu peux traduire cette partie en français stp ?
C'est à quelle minute ? merci.

cocotaffy

Salut tu peux traduire cette partie en français stp ?
C'est à quelle minute ? merci.
Pas de problème, ce sont leurs commentaires à la fin de leur programme. Les deux présentateurs sont excessivement flatteurs, je vais juste résumer. Ils disent qu'ils ont interprété les moindres nuances de la musique, la synchronisation est parfaite, il reçoive une superbe ovation de 19 000 personnes. Ils sont phénoménales et ils n'ont jamais vu un tel patinage d'autant plus qu'ils ont l'air de continuellement s'améliorer. A aucun moment, ils n'ont donné l'impression de participer à une compétition mais plus à une exhibition. Leurs qualité de patinage est extraordinaire. Et puis, ils mentionnent n'avoir jamais vu aucun patineur patiner comme Cizeron. Il a une qualité de genou qui lui permet de descendre très bas sur ses appuis et meme au plus bas il parvient à garder ses hanches alignées sous lui (j'imagine qu'il veut dire qu'il ne cambre pas le bas du dos) tout en gardant son dos droit, ce qui est selon lui physiquement impossible c'est pourquoi il le surnomme "freak of nature" (je le traduirait par "un phénomène"). D'ailleurs, ils soulignent qu'il a eu des problèmes de dos et que cette position si difficile qu'il maintient constamment pourrait en être la cause. Enfin, ils trouvent que cette performance est meilleure que celle du championnat d'Europe.

ETA : and for the most masochistic of us the FD with the infamous French commentators. TBH I'd love to find the Eurosport version with Nathalie but this is just impossible to get.

Last edited:

Peepsquick

Would someone have the videos of Gabi and Gui's RD and / or FD with italian, american and canadian commentaries? I can't find them anywhere ...:sekret:

Isabelle.G

TSL, slightly controversial as it is :lol:, posted an ice dance recap with Mark Hanretty. Definitely interesting, in my opinion. Here's the link in case anyone's interested in hearing another praise for Gabi and Guillaume. :D https://youtu.be/KOTS9HCnzr4?t=3513

Just a side note: can I just say how beautiful and magical the first part of their fd is, here at Worlds, when the whole arena is quiet and all you can hear are the soft sounds of the Duet song and G&G's skating, with occasional increase in volume during the 'humming part' of the song... it's simply breathtaking.

synian

Pas de problème, ce sont leurs commentaires à la fin de leur programme. Les deux présentateurs sont excessivement flatteurs, je vais juste résumer. Ils disent qu'ils ont interprété les moindres nuances de la musique, la synchronisation est parfaite, il reçoive une superbe ovation de 19 000 personnes. Ils sont phénoménales et ils n'ont jamais vu un tel patinage d'autant plus qu'ils ont l'air de continuellement s'améliorer. A aucun moment, ils n'ont donné l'impression de participer à une compétition mais plus à une exhibition. Leurs qualité de patinage est extraordinaire. Et puis, ils mentionnent n'avoir jamais vu aucun patineur patiner comme Cizeron. Il a une qualité de genou qui lui permet de descendre très bas sur ses appuis et meme au plus bas il parvient à garder ses hanches alignées sous lui (j'imagine qu'il veut dire qu'il ne cambre pas le bas du dos) tout en gardant son dos droit, ce qui est selon lui physiquement impossible c'est pourquoi il le surnomme "freak of nature" (je le traduirait par "un phénomène"). D'ailleurs, ils soulignent qu'il a eu des problèmes de dos et que cette position si difficile qu'il maintient constamment pourrait en être la cause. Enfin, ils trouvent que cette performance est meilleure que celle du championnat d'Europe.

ETA : and for the most masochistic of us the FD with the infamous French commentators. TBH I'd love to find the Eurosport version with Nathalie but this is just impossible to get.
I will send you link as soon as possible... I promise

Peepsquick

Thanks @ Cocotaffy! I love them that much!!!!:rolleyes:

laviemn

Gabi confirmed that they're going to World Team Trophy on Insta stories.

It took its toll so they mention taking it slowly on purpose to recharge their batteries hence an FD that is very close to their core strength yet different enough to be a springboard for the next three years.

This part is intriguing, I can't wait to see what they'll choose next. I suspect Hubbell/Donahue had the same idea when they chose Kissing You, but it turned out to be a season long struggle for them for some reason. Anyway, I'm amazed by what Gabi & Guillaume did with these songs. It is the least compelling FD music they've had as seniors IMO, but they amplified and elevated the music beyond what I expected.

A bit from Terry Gannon on the US broadcast of the RD: "With other teams, the slo-mo can reveal mistakes, but with these two it only increases your appreciation of what they just did." One of us, Terry, you're one of us.

sharsk8s

A bit from Terry Gannon on the US broadcast of the RD: "With other teams, the slo-mo can reveal mistakes, but with these two it only increases your appreciation of what they just did." One of us, Terry, you're one of us.
Is there anywhere I can watch the US broadcast?

cocotaffy

Can you please translate what she said
The most striking thing about Gaby and Guillaume is how everything looks easy, floaty. There is a great unison and they meet the judges criteria of impeccable execution.
It's very beautiful and aesthetic. They do take risks but it will never be in the forefront of their performance. It's not their main asset. Theirs is beauty, elegance, grace and unison.

Nothing very new but still nice from her.

cocotaffy

Nice video from On ice perspectives who was at Gadbois before the season started while they were creating their programs but only releasing the full video now.

ETA: what a mesmerizing video and I spot a brand new spin plus some interesting moves they must have chosen not to pick. I'm hoping they're indeed working on this spin for the coming season. Guillaume has the most flawless extension through his spine and this highlights it very well.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Other than the Shibs and V/M due to my biases and pure enjoyment of those teams, when non-fans ask me why I like ice dance (after I explain to them it is not pairs skating), I show them P/C because I think P/C offers another type of look for ice dance and "theatrical" dancing. It's not all "in-your-face" and showey. Nothing wrong with showmanship and making the dances look as difficult as possible, in fact I can love that too if done right, but I think people react well when you can show them a team that is attempting to show more "natural" and show some "depth of human emotion." Yes, I know that phrase is cheesy as heck and no, I am not saying other teams aren't doing that as well, but there's a reason why P/C has garnered so much praise on that front.

To me, that first half of their FD this season is what I've been craving for from this discipline for a long time.

muffinplus

Other than the Shibs and V/M due to my biases and pure enjoyment of those teams, when non-fans ask me why I like ice dance (after I explain to them it is not pairs skating), I show them P/C because I think P/C offers another type of look for ice dance and "theatrical" dancing. It's not all "in-your-face" and showey. Nothing wrong with showmanship and making the dances look as difficult as possible, in fact I can love that too if done right, but I think people react well when you can show them a team that is attempting to show more "natural" and show some "depth of human emotion." Yes, I know that phrase is cheesy as heck and no, I am not saying other teams aren't doing that as well, but there's a reason why P/C has garnered so much praise on that front.

To me, that first half of their FD this season is what I've been craving for from this discipline for a long time.

Did any of your non-fan friends become interested on ice dance after you showed them videos of P/C?

VGThuy

Did any of your non-fan friends become interested on ice dance after you showed them videos of P/C?

Usually, my current holy trifecta does it for them. First I show them the Shibs, then P/C, and then V/M. They get all the shades and are impressed. Usually for the Shibs it's "Fix You" or "Paradise" from the Olympics and they are amazed at the unison, soft knees, their flow, the fact they're brother and sister, how attractive in a safe way they are, and love how they choreographed their elements to Coldplay (using Coldplay still amazes them because they have this perception of figure skating being all classical or soundtrack or whatever); then I show them P/C and it's usually "To Build a Home" and this Yamagata FD that does it for them like in a out-of-body experience (I tried with Moonlight Sonata but most of my non-skating friends don't appreciate it), and they almost ALWAYS comment on Guillaume's neck and body build. Then V/M takes it home and they are in love with how obviously difficult it all looks and how easy they make it look and their ability to really dance to a beat on skates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information