World Team Trophy - Who qualifies?

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Russia and the USA are guaranteed places, but which four other countries will qualify?

My guess is that it will be between China, France, Japan (even though they didn't have a pair team), Italy and Canada.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
While I think the Italian men are on the upswing and it will be good to see them at WTT. I’m kind of sad that Boyang Jin and Sui/Han(or Peng/Jin) won’t be there.

umronnie

From the ISU website:

Russia leads the six ISU Members that have qualified for the ISU World Team Trophy in Figure Skating in Fukuoka (JPN), April 11 to 14. The ISU World Team Trophy is a biennal event.
Russia tops the standings with 9038 points followed by the USA (7752 points) and Japan with 6991 points. The other qualified ISU members are France (5541 points), Italy (4344 points) and Canada (4217 points).

Who would have thought last year, when Canada won gold in the Olympic team event, that they would be the last to qualify? I wonder how many points China had.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

From the ISU website:

Russia leads the six ISU Members that have qualified for the ISU World Team Trophy in Figure Skating in Fukuoka (JPN), April 11 to 14. The ISU World Team Trophy is a biennal event.
Russia tops the standings with 9038 points followed by the USA (7752 points) and Japan with 6991 points. The other qualified ISU members are France (5541 points), Italy (4344 points) and Canada (4217 points).

Who would have thought last year, when Canada won gold in the Olympic team event, that they would be the last to qualify? I wonder how many points China had.

Considering they didn't win any medals this year, I'm thinking that Canada's placements in pairs and dance must have saved them.

RoseRed

From the ISU website:

Considering that Gabby is the only member of that team competing this year, it's not that surprising.

Considering they didn't win any medals this year, I'm thinking that Canada's placements in pairs and dance must have saved them.
The points come from both the GP and Worlds, so Keegan's GPF points were also very helpful.

J

Jeschke

I am kinfa confused or too stupid (which is more likely);
2 single ladies , 2 single men, 1 pair and 1 dance team counting towards qualification.

Assuming RUS would have won everything at worlds (ladies and men gold twice :p ), we would have
2400+2400+1200+1200 = 7200.

So how exactly can RUS qualify with 9038pts?
(same for the other teams)
Who can help? :gallopin1

RoseRed

I am kinfa confused or too stupid (which is more likely);
2 single ladies , 2 single men, 1 pair and 1 dance team counting towards qualification.

Assuming RUS would have won everything at worlds (ladies and men gold twice :p ), we would have
2400+2400+1200+1200 = 7200.

So how exactly can RUS qualify with 9038pts?
(same for the other teams)
Who can help? :gallopin1
GP points count too.

Marco

What's the rule for selection again? Say Medvedeva placed higher at Worlds but Samodurova had a better season overall. Since both placed top ten, does Russia get to choose? I would much prefer to see Lazukin over Samarin, but again Samarin might have had a better season overall.

Vagabond

What's the rule for selection again? Say Medvedeva placed higher at Worlds but Samodurova had a better season overall. Since both placed top ten, does Russia get to choose? I would much prefer to see Lazukin over Samarin, but again Samarin might have had a better season overall.
In 2017, it was the top skater(s) in the World Standings after the World Championships were supposed to go.

https://isu.org/docman-documents-li...ts-17/7438-wtt2017-announcement-16-11-07/file

If the rules are unchanged, then Russia is supposed to send Samarin (and Kolyada) and Medvedeva (and Zagitova).

Dobre

I believe that part isn't in the 2019 announcement.

Have Weaver & Poje said they are going? (I ask because it is another scenario where the National Champions and higher ranked athletes from Worlds have lower World Standings than their compatriots).

starrynight

I always thought it was up to Feds to decide which skaters they choose? World standings don’t often give the full story.

RoseRed

I always thought it was up to Feds to decide which skaters they choose? World standings don’t often give the full story.
In the past, there was a rule that if a skater/team was the top skater from the country in WS (top two for singles) AND came top 10 at Worlds, they were supposed to go (and if they didn't, they couldn't do shows for a certain period around WTT). Not clear if that still applies this year.

J

Jeschke

GP points count too.
One last question, so I can maybe get it next time right 😅
(And because I just did not manage to count the right points for RUS so far :rofl:)

Can in theory 4 single skaters score for one discipline or just 2 (the ones with the best overall mix of championships/GP)
For example: Zag and Med scoring championship points for worlds but Stasia and Samodura for GP season (assuming they would have scored best here).

I'd be thankful for anyone doing the exemplary maths for one of the teams qualifiyng 😳

Eisfee

One last question, so I can maybe get it next time right 😅
(And because I just did not manage to count the right points for RUS so far :rofl:)

Can in theory 4 single skaters score for one discipline or just 2 (the ones with the best overall mix of championships/GP)
For example: Zag and Med scoring championship points for worlds but Stasia and Samodura for GP season (assuming they would have scored best here).

I'd be thankful for anyone doing the exemplary maths for one of the teams qualifiyng 😳

From GS Forum
example Russia score is made up of:

From Worlds
Kolayada 709 points
Lazukin 465
Zagitova 1200
Medvedeva 972
Tarasova/Morozov 1080
Sinistina/Katsalapov 1080

From GP season
Voronov 472 from GP Final
Samarin 324 from Skate Canada
Zagitova 720 from GP Final
Tuktamysheva 648 from GP Final
Tarasova/Morozov 648 from GP Final
Sinistina/Katsalapov 720 from GP Final

J

Jeschke

From GS Forum
example Russia score is made up of:
Thanks.
My mistake was counting Samarin's EC points instead of Lazukin's lower WC points, but seems like WC have priority here.

(This makes no sense to me to be honest :saint:)

Vagabond

I hope Tuktamysheva gets a spot at WTT.
She's the sixth-ranked Russian, after Zagitova, Medvedeva, Samodurova, Sotskova, and Konstantinova. It's unlikely that as many of four of them will come up with doctor's notes to get them out of a chance at earning some cold, hard cash.

starrynight

Does the Japanese Fed get any preference as to who gets invited?

As the organising Fed who has put down a million US dollars in prize money for basically a big exhibition event, I wonder if they have any say. (I imagine they do).

After all, the World Standings can mean that top skaters rank lower than others, simply because of previous seasons or injury. (You easily get situations where world medalists are down the standings).

Often the skaters send to Worlds by a fed also don't have correlation to World standings either.

I just think a triple axel jump off between Kihira and Tuktamysheva would make for great viewing and it's the kind of thing these fluff events are designed for. Particularly as Tuktamysheva is hinting at a two 3A free skate.

Last edited:

CaliSteve

She's the sixth-ranked Russian, after Zagitova, Medvedeva, Samodurova, Sotskova, and Konstantinova. It's unlikely that as many of four of them will come up with doctor's notes to get them out of a chance at earning some cold, hard cash.

Tuk got a spot.

Colonel Green

Team Canada has not been named yet but Nam Nguyen mentioned in an IG story today he'd be returning to Japan for WTT; ditto for Alaine Chartrand's official FB fan page on March 24.
I really hope Gabby doesn't go. She made it through Worlds much better than I feared, but I hope she just goes to relax in the Thousand Islands or wherever for a month or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information