2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

Colonel Green

So then did Skate Canada say if Aurora got the minimums she is on the team?
No, they just said it's up for debate. Skate Canada tends to favour nationals placement order pretty strongly, though, so I'd say it's probably Aurora's -- if they do take performance quality, etc., into account, then a case could be made for Veronik, who had a really good 4CC.

However, Aurora is clearly somebody that Skate Canada views as a potential long-term asset, whereas Veronik's age kind of precludes that.

If Daleman passes... who will get the third spot do you think?
If Gabrielle doesn't feel up to going, it'll be Alaine, Aurora and Veronik. The only other person with the minimums is Alicia, who had to withdraw from Nationals due to injury; I don't know what her status right now is.

mag

I feel fairly confident that Aurora has the spot. I can’t see SC sending her half way around the world to compete to get the minimum scores and then saying, “Oh, no, we are going to send Veronik instead.” That really doesn’t make sense.

Zazy

I feel fairly confident that Aurora has the spot. I can’t see SC sending her half way around the world to compete to get the minimum scores and then saying, “Oh, no, we are going to send Veronik instead.” That really doesn’t make sense.

Well, they also sent Orzel to Germany and he'll be no more than an alternate.
We'll see.

mag

We'll see.
I would have sent Aurora to the Bavarian Open purely to ensure they had options, since you never know when somebody might injure themselves.

Onzel is not the silver medalist. There is no body of work reason, or any other reason for that matter, to send Mallet over Cotop. Cotop is at least trying the flip. She is also way more likely to be around in 4 years.

barbarafan

We'll see.
He has all the goods but they are not coming out in competition. He needs experience in competing and controlling his head space. I believe he will be competing senior international next season so his minimums will not be wasted. Hopefully they send him for a few more B's.

Colonel Green

Onzel is not the silver medalist. There is no body of work reason, or any other reason for that matter, to send Mallet over Cotop. Cotop is at least trying the flip. She is also way more likely to be around in 4 years.
I mean, there kind of is a body of work argument for Veronik; she's the most consistent Canadian lady this season, has the highest free skate score, her personal best total score (from Finlandia Trophy) is only two points below what Alaine got at Skate Canada International in the fall, and she finished the highest of the three Canadian ladies at Four Continents.

I listed the same things you did for the counterargument, namely, Aurora's higher nationals placement and hoped-for long-term potential. And frankly, neither at this point would place in the top ten at Worlds unless that was a total debacle, so arguably there's minimal incentive to strategize regarding the third spot anyway.

Seerek

Exactly (re: Mallet)

Had Skate Canada used other countries' criteria for selection for their teams (using TES from internationals incorporated with scores from Nationals, or using scores from multiple Challenger Series, etc.), Veronik would got the nod.

Dobre

Sure it does. Aurora could only go halfway across the World in order to get the minimums, and the federation had to send her as it is possible that Gabby won't go. Plus withdrawals & injuries are always a possibility. Having a first alternate is plenty of a good enough reason to send an athlete out to get minimums. The Federation may also have wanted to see how Austman & Mallet would do at 4CCs. Anyway, Austman is off the table now (I assume); and the Federation has more information & options available at this point. I'd assume they will get the scoop on Daleman if they haven't already and announce the team. Both Cotop & Mallet have an argument if it comes down to one or the other. Both ladies did their jobs in the events they entered. (Which is worth applauding, IMO, because both knew what was on the line).

Rock2

The two things Cotop and Orzel have in common are
1. No senior world mins...AND
2. They finished in the top 5 at nationals (national team eligible) yet don't have another event to skate at.

So I see sending them to Oberstdorf as both a reward for their performance at nationals and as a chance to get the mins to give SC options this year and next.

Having said all that I agree with those who acknowledge SC tries to follow nationals results. I expect Cotop to be named to the world team, with Mallet filling in if Gabby is unable to go.

Triple axel mom

The two things Cotop and Orzel have in common are
1. No senior world mins...AND
2. They finished in the top 5 at nationals (national team eligible) yet don't have another event to skate at.

So I see sending them to Oberstdorf as both a reward for their performance at nationals and as a chance to get the mins to give SC options this year and next.

Having said all that I agree with those who acknowledge SC tries to follow nationals results. I expect Cotop to be named to the world team, with Mallet filling in if Gabby is unable to go.

mag

National Team new criteria for 2019

Top 3 at Nationals 2019

Assigned to an ISU Grand Prix Event 2019

Competing in the 2019-2020 season

Wow, so no longer top five. Very interesting. The fight for the host pick at SC will be brutal. Hopefully SC comes out with some very specific criteria for getting the spot and then sticks to it.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
That new national team criteria could definitely lead to more than 5 making it in some disciplines and sure makes the Skate Canada host picks even more significant.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
A Fed can't lose all spots for Worlds only based on placement at prior Worlds.

A Fed can only lose Olympic spots they've earned by not having eligible skaters to claim them. A Fed can give back Olympic spots they've earned because they have stupid NOC or Fed qualification rules/guidelines/fiats.

All Olympic spots have to be earned either at prior Worlds or the qualifier, compared to Worlds or Euros where only spots >1 have to be earned at prior Worlds. A Fed can't lose Olympic spots, but can't even fail to earn a spot based on prior Worlds placement alone: it's placement at Worlds and/or the qualifier that determines spots outright or through the alternates list.

Triple axel mom

That new national team criteria could definitely lead to more than 5 making it in some disciplines and sure makes the Skate Canada host picks even more significant.
Don’t the top 3 at Canadian Nationals have to meet the three things listed in the criteria to make the National Team
Top 3 have to be assigned to an ISU Grand Prix and also
Compete at 2019-2020 season.

Doesn’t that still limit 3 to the National Team

Triple axel mom

Effective July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020

The National Team comprises those athletes who meet the following criteria:
  • Top three in the senior singles, pairs and ice dance disciplines at the 2019 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships
  • Assigned to a 2019 ISU Grand Prix event
  • Competing in the 2019-2020 season
Skate Canada has the discretion to add athletes based on new partnerships of current and former national team members.

Rock2

I guess this move isn't surprising since SC only invited the athletes assigned to the GP to the High Performance Camp. The entire national team wasn't invited.

Similarly, it's not like only the top 5 were given international assignments. SC routinely went deeper in the national rankings based on summer monitoring and other factors to hand out opportunities.

Given the above, I guess the national team as designed didn't have much meaning so they scrapped that concept.

Based on the wording I would expect Lubov and Charlie to be added to the national team...should they ever decide to get the show on the road...

Triple axel mom

Wow, so no longer top five. Very interesting. The fight for the host pick at SC will be brutal. Hopefully SC comes out with some very specific criteria for getting the spot and then sticks to it.

Feb 25/ 2019 is the final date to submit TBD entries to Worlds 2019

Rafter

Austman is a last minute addition to the roster of the Cup of Tyrol in Austria. Will she get that elusive 29 TES in the short program? And has Skate Canada decided who they want to go to worlds? The plot thickens.

You’ve got to be kidding me!

Rafter

Austman is a last minute addition to the roster of the Cup of Tyrol in Austria. Will she get that elusive 29 TES in the short program? And has Skate Canada decided who they want to go to worlds? The plot thickens.

But the deadline for worlds entries is Feb 25 and the Tyrol event doesn’t start until Feb 26. Or can you be listed as a sub for worlds even though you don’t have the tech minimums?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
If Mallet's injury flares up again and Gabby declines and Alicia is not recovered, it might be handy to have another skater with minimums if Larkyn can do it. It would also be wise to send out Michelle Long and Olivia Gran, but I am not holding my breath...

barbarafan

If Mallet's injury flares up again and Gabby declines and Alicia is not recovered, it might be handy to have another skater with minimums if Larkyn can do it. It would also be wise to send out Michelle Long and Olivia Gran, but I am not holding my breath...
Does Emy Decelles have her mins.?

Erin

Banned Member
I’m also assuming they are just trying to get another skater on the alternates list (similar to why they are sending Brasseur and Bardei to Challenge Cup even though pairs have already been named), although I do wonder if this is too late for the deadline for getting the TES minimums for worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information