Deep freeze 2019

Susan1

New odd weather report - you could tell that it was kind of foggy/misty around noon, but not too low for driving. So Miamisburg is in a valley and you have to go uphill to go anywhere around the mall. Coming back home, it was getting worse (maybe half a mile visibility) and Live and Let Die came on the radio and I got creeped out and had to laugh. I don't know why.

I've been in much worse fog where you couldn't even see the house across the street. And one time driving to work, I had to go on a one way two lane road (S. Dixie for anyone in the area) that had the backs of houses on one side with a sound barrier fence and the other side was separate businesses like a vet and auto body and stuff that weren't open yet. No street lights. For some reason I was the only one on that road at 7:30 in the morning and you couldn't see the traffic light till you were right under it. Now that was creepy. :)

There's still a little pile of snow at the corner of the cul-de-sac across from me.

Susan1

More wacky weather -it rained till about 1 p.m. and then I headed up to Best Buy (see microwave thread!). It was in the 50's and my car windows kept steaming up. I had to use the defroster and the wipers. There was a big pile of snow like the size of two cars end to end in the corner of the Home Depot parking lot and vapor was coming off of it. It looked like a volcano.

It's supposed to be 62* and raining all day tomorrow and down to 10* Saturday night.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
The polar vortex has finally come for Seattle!

Snow here rarely accumulates, and due to the many hills, and city-wide lack of snow preparedness, even one inch of snow brings the whole city to a standstill. We had some snow earlier this week that caused issues, but we're in the middle of a legit snowstorm right now. It started snowing at noon, and is not scheduled to stop until at least 11pm. Most offices either closed early or didn't open at all. The grocery stores have been ka-razy. You'd think that a meteor was about to hit. We're supposed to get a slight reprieve tomorrow, but if current forecasts hold, there will be more snow Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

There is an event at work next week that will be a genuine disaster if things last long enough to have to cancel....but I personally loooooooove the snow. I already had today and Monday off, I live close enough to work that I can go in and do payroll next week if needed, and I'm well stocked on food, books, + wine.

I think the last major snow event that I was here for was January 2012.

Japanfan

The polar vortex has finally come for Seattle!

Snow here rarely accumulates, and due to the many hills, and city-wide lack of snow preparedness, even one inch of snow brings the whole city to a standstill. We had some snow earlier this week that caused issues, but we're in the middle of a legit snowstorm right now. It started snowing at noon, and is not scheduled to stop until at least 11pm. Most offices either closed early or didn't open at all. The grocery stores have been ka-razy. You'd think that a meteor was about to hit. We're supposed to get a slight reprieve tomorrow, but if current forecasts hold, there will be more snow Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Same story here in Vancouver. Brrr!

Though I must say, the winter jacket I got second-hand for under $20.00 is down-filled, and sure is warm. Got luck there! Unfortunately is does not have a hood.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Well, it finally reached my hometown in northwest Louisiana. I woke up yesterday to a freezing 30F with Ice all over my car. There was sleet mixed with light snow. That may not seem cold to others here because it wasn't sub-zero or below. The difference is here is the humidity mixed with the chill factor. It made it feel like it was around 25F.

I was wearing short sleeves and capri pants earlier this past week (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday). The temps were reaching up to 75 F here. Mother Nature really messed things up. All the trees including fruit trees were budding with the little flowers. My oak tree already had little tiny leaves trying to come out. The beginning of February is too soon for trees to be blooming and my yard has hundreds of little white flowers.

Needless to say, the freeze killed the blooms on my pear tree. Several of my friends have plum and pear trees. The freeze killed the blooms on their trees, too.

I was really looking forward to some pears this summer, and so was my brother. We knew it was way too soon, and there will be more days with temps below 32 F (even in the teens) before Spring gets here.

Japanfan

Whoa. Major dump here overnight in the Pacific Northwest. There are no car tracks on the street outside, so the city is predictably paralyzed.

Some errands that needed to be done won't get done. And of course, the dog won't take a day off and doesn't understand that one can't play fetch in the snow.

ETA: He was happy just to romp around in the white stuff. :dog::dog::dog:

Last edited:

manhn

I had to go to the office to meet clients. It was not snowing when I got there, and it's a different story now. I am home now, my body is intact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information