John Coughlin has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarrySK8

I hope this sad event can raise awareness regarding suicide, reactive depression and the needs of the accused. If allegations were true, the accused needs professional help. If allegations are NOT true, the accused needs professional help to deal with the reaction.

SafeSport is about protecting the athletes and children, mostly girls and women. However, they fall short in protecting and aiding the accused, who also need support and help.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Awful news. I have very fond memories of him from Junior Worlds 2007 where he was the life of the party and obsessed about German "bockwurst".

May he rest in peace.

LarrySK8

…. and already people are accusing her of killing John (see Comments).

It does bring up the point that those accused have needs to be addressed (if guilty, they need help; if innocent, they need help and support).

It could be debated that SafeSport, as an organization reporting allegations and investigations only, is actually engaging in harmful behavior and possibly slander of those accused. SafeSport knows, even without proving anything other than an allegation was made and is to be investigated, will stop the accused from working and will ruin their personal reputation. Sounds slanderous. Sounds now like a potential litigious situation, as there are strong opinions on both sides.

Trials over slander by the press have taken place regularly, and especially in Britain some trials have been quite sensational over the years. Maybe someone has insight to share?

Is SafeSport now a potential target of litigation? Can any of the accused, if found not guilty of anything, sue them for slander? I bet we may see that in the future.

Side note - very curious indeed that Craig Maurizi, who tried to use SafeSport to indict Callaghan without too much success is the husband of Tara Modlin (the agent connected to Johnny Weir for the reality show), who was John Coughlin's agent. We all know Maurizi claimed years of sexual misconduct now over 20 years ago and came to notice during the #metoo movement. He has numerous contacts at SafeSport, and probably so does Tara Modlin.

There is an entire story with multiple facets and curiosities and tragedy here, and no one knows anything yet about any of the potential victims of abuse! That in and of itself is amazing.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Damn.

I have no words. This is tragic. Condolences to his family and friends.

I would hope it is possible to mourn Coughlin’s death without vilifying the accuser(s) or press. We know next to nothing about the details of the safesport accusation and it seems reckless to start pointing fingers at this time.

livetoskate

Such terrible news... John seemed like an outgoing nice guy. I remember how entertaining he was in an exhibition at nationals in Kansas City, and I sat next to a woman who said she was his 3rd grade music teacher. Whether he did anything inappropriate or not, this is an awful ending....

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
This is heartbreaking.

I have strong opinions about the weaponization and vigilantism of social media and how that should be dealt with, but I'll hold those till later.
Agree. I think we have a long way to go before we find a way to keep those with a need to know (such as parents of minor skaters) informed of investigations without compromising the investigations or putting the accused into purgatory.

Firedancer

I am shocked to wake up to this news. Condolences to John’s family and friends.

I don’t know any details of the Safe Sport allegations but I do think something needs to be adjusted in the Safe Sport process to protect/support those that are accused.

D

Deleted member 221

That needed to be said.
I admire her for doing so.

I know she's in mourning, and I do understand where she's coming from. That said, I would urge everyone to always ignore statements like: "I’ve known [x] for 20 plus years. [x] would never put a harmful hand on anyone, that is just simply not in his DNA."

These statements could have been said about any number of clergy or other individuals; statements like these are why we need Safesport, an independent body who can get to the truth - whatever that may be.

I also think it's important to remember that he was and still is innocent until proven guilty, and he was given due process. His own actions stopped the due process. Keeping all details silent until things are "proven beyond a reasonable doubt" (which takes time because of due process) are how predators like Nassar and the Catholic clergy continued to operate, despite the whispers. Coughlin himself wrote in his statement, “I note only that the SafeSport notice of allegation itself stated that an allegation in no way constitutes a finding by SafeSport or that there is any merit to the allegation."

I do agree with LarrySk8 that more needs to be done to help the accused deal with what has to be a terrible situation. I am truly sorry no one was able to help John. :(

Tahuu

SafeSports should change their practice of publicizing restriction and interim suspension on the accused until they complete their investigation. Instead they should inform the accused of the accusation and investigation, and warn the accused of severe civil and criminal punishment and prosecution if he continues the activities.

I think most accused would likely restrain their behaviors if the complaints are true because they now know their acts are no longer a secret and they are been watched and can get harsher punishments if continue. If it’s untrue it would protect the accused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information