Canadian Men 2018-19 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Athlete Spotlight / Q&A video with Nicolas Nadeau: https://skatecanada.ca/2019/01/athlete-spotlight-nicolas-nadeau/

Junior Men top 6 finishers:
1 Aleksa Rakic BC/YK 68.44 (2) 130.66 (1) 199.10
2 Beres Clements BC/YK 64.44 (4) 126.58 (2) 191.02
3 Corey Circelli ON 68.79 (1) 113.19 (4) 181.98

4 Bruce Waddell ON 66.46 (3) 113.34 (3) 179.80
5 Alistair Lam ON 64.31 (5) 111.55 (7) 175.86
6 Koen Kucher SK 61.62 (6) 111.63 (6) 173.25

Novice Men top 6 finishers:
1 Wesley Chiu BC/YK 52.73 (1) 94.10 (1) 146.83 - article: Connaught skater crowned Canadian Novice champion; post-skate interview
2 Shuma Mugii BC/YK 39.50 (4) 78.89 (2) 118.39
3 Matthew Newnham AB/NT/NU 47.22 (2) 69.27 (5) 116.49

4 Maksim Chelmaev QC 40.35 (3) 72.10 (4) 112.45
5 Rio Morita ON 33.51 (9) 77.42 (3) 110.93
6 Shohei Law BC/YK 35.58 (6) 68.90 (6) 104.48

Last edited:

screech

Great skate by Gogolev - deservedly in the lead after that SP (and he actually smiled in the K&C!! Though I think he needs to trim his bangs, since he kept blowing them out of his face). Great skate by Nam too, though with the shaky landing he should have held off on doing the toe after the salchow, and saved it for his flip. Too bad about Keegan's fall. But you absolutely have to love Keegan's sportsmanship - watching the person (Nam) before him, willing him to land his jumps and cheering loudly for him. Such a wonderful competitor.
Too bad about Roman and Nic both popping a jump. Great showing by Conrad too.

Skate Talker

Stephen was a bit more prepared for this interview than after his Junior Grand Prix win, but still needs some help. Sara asks him what he thought of the crowd and their reaction to his skate and he said something like "not much". Sara ends the interview, lol. Reading between the lines he had been speaking about how he focuses completely on his skating and just tunes everything else out, but it didn't come across as very polite. Poor lad. But hey - I'll take that over swearing on camera, eh?

Edited to correct my post - as discussed below I mis-heard Stephen.

Last edited:

ChiquitaBanana

Stephen was a bit more prepared for this interview than after his Junior Grand Prix win, but still needs some help. Sara asks him what he thought of the crowd and their reaction to his skate and he said something like "not much". Sara ends the interview, lol. Reading between the lines he had been speaking about how he focuses completely on his skating and just tunes everything else out, but it didn't come across as very polite. Poor lad. But hey - I'll take that over swearing on camera, eh?

I think it was clear Gogolev was more terrified by his interview than by skating at the Nationals... ;) So that forgives him any wrong doing/saying. It was quite clear that he was freaking out his life! ;)

dramagrrl

I don't think he said "not much" - I think he said it meant a lot to him and then said something about it being only the second time he's skated as a senior and abruptly trailed off, causing Sara to end the interview quickly. Poor kid - he's obviously very shy off the ice, at least in front of cameras.

ETA: I checked the video of his post-skate interview again, and he definitely said that the audience reaction meant a lot.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

There is no denying Gogolev has the technical goods, but being so young and in his first year of international competition, hopefully some more mileage will give him time to find the right on-ice presence.

His short program music is so dull and one note.

Orzel was my favourite today.

Japanfan

I don't think he said "not much" - I think he said it meant a lot to him and then said something about it being only the second time he's skated as a senior and abruptly trailed off, causing Sara to end the interview quickly. Poor kid - he's obviously very shy off the ice, at least in front of cameras.

ETA: I checked the video of his post-skate interview again, and he definitely said that the audience reaction meant a lot.

I heard similar to what dramgrrl heard.

Stephen is not media savvy. GPF and Canadians may be the first times he's been interviewed for a large TV audience, or interviewed on TV period.

Don't know what to expect from him in the free. He seems rather unflappable, but this is a position he's never been in before, with a very new kind of intense pressure. I expect him to either go clean/near-clear, or to flog.

He wouldn't have anticipated winning the junior GPF, nor of being first at Nationals.

He's just a child really, and he does come across as very shy.

Give him a few more years, and he'll be much more media savvy.

He'll probably get some media training as well. This year just caught him completely by surprise.

Cayuse

As a US fan I watched Keegan grow up on the ice. He was always entertaining! And he's always had that smile! It was a joy to see him skate twice in the gala in Vancouver at the Grand Prix Final. I'm am thrilled he switched to skate for Canada and has had so many great opportunities to skate internationally.

Erin

Banned Member
I think it was clear Gogolev was more terrified by his interview than by skating at the Nationals... ;) So that forgives him any wrong doing/saying. It was quite clear that he was freaking out his life! ;)

I was a combination of concerned and amused when I realized he was going to lead and that meant he would probably have to do an interview, given how he looked at the JGPF, when he was physically backing away from Brenda Irving. He looked slightly less terrified here, so it’s probably good and necessary experience for him.

Skate Talker

Ah sorry - you are correct - must be my senior ears or my weird imagination - or both. Sorry Stephen you were all good.

ChiquitaBanana

That needs to be address! No excuses for it!
He has quite an intense personality and he was pissed off by his skate. To be addressed? Look at his coach in the Kiss ans Cry... It has been addressed, my dear! Was I offended by his swearing? No. I understand he was fully into his dismal moment right at the end of his skate. It’s not like he was swearing in the Kiss and cry. For good or for bad, swearing in French is less offensing than swearing in English... That is said, it is never a good idea to do so in front of a TV camera. Nic just needs to learn more self-control under pressure. That would part of the mental training program...

screech

Congratulations Nam!! Definitely deserving of the win with that skate. And you could just see the emotion coming out of him after that skate. Huge kudos. And loved his giddiness in the interview. Though I preferred the blue shirt he wore earlier int he season...
Good job Stephen too, though he's going to be kicking himself for that lutz.
Too bad Keegan had such a rough skate, but again such a great sportsman, pounding the boards for Nam and giving him the biggest hug as they passed each other on the ice (and backstage too).

ETA: Almost all of this year's champions were previous national champions:
Nam - 2015
WeaPo - 2015-2016
Alaine - 2016
KMT - 2011 - Mike is the only one who never won before

dramagrrl

I had a feeling from the start of this season, when Nam was skating well in his pre-GP competitions and Keegan was struggling a bit, that this was going to happen. I've had a soft spot for Nam since he was a novice skater, so I was thrilled to see him skate so well today and regain his title after all the hardships he's had to work through over the past few seasons. :cheer:

Seerek

What will be the teams?

Worlds: Nguyen, Messing
Junior Worlds: Gogolev, Phan
Four Continents: Nguyen, Messing, Nadeau
Universiade: Anyone?

livetoskate

So I heard on the free skate broadcast that Nam is still only 19 years old. He's been competing senior for so long I thought he was a lot older than that. Plus he's started working and paying for his skating costs. Hope he gets some endorsements to help with his expenses!

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I doubt it will happen but I would love to see Orzel get a senior B assignment, assuming Gogolev and Phan get jr worlds. Heck give Phan one too so they can at least be listed as subs for worlds. It would suck for Orzel to have his season end here.

screech

So I heard on the free skate broadcast that Nam is still only 19 years old. He's been competing senior for so long I thought he was a lot older than that. Plus he's started working and paying for his skating costs. Hope he gets some endorsements to help with his expenses!
They made a mistake - he's 20 (born May 1998). But still very young, considering his experience.

Colonel Green

What will be the teams?

Worlds: Nguyen, Messing
Junior Worlds: Gogolev, Phan
Four Continents: Nguyen, Messing, Nadeau
Universiade: Anyone?
I think you can make a case for giving the third 4CC berth to Sadovsky and the second Junior Worlds berth to Orzel.

In the former case, I expect they may not bother, seeing as it's, y'know, Canada's third 4CC berth; going with Nationals placement there is the path of least resistance. But the case for Junior Worlds between Phan and Orzel isn't clear cut, and the stakes there are a bit more important since they'd ideally like to get three spots. Orzel has probably had the more consistent season than Phan, and it's not like Joseph rocked it in both programs at Nationals either.

Seerek

I think you can make a case for giving the third 4CC berth to Sadovsky and the second Junior Worlds berth to Orzel.

Looks like Skate Canada went strictly by the Nationals results with the assignments as indicated in my previous post above.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Looks like Skate Canada went strictly by the Nationals results with the assignments as indicated in my previous post above.

There was no reason not to, as none of the men you mentioned had very strong results internationally this season. Hopefully that will change for Nadeau and Phan at their post season comps though.

mackiecat

There was no reason not to, as none of the men you mentioned had very strong results internationally this season. Hopefully that will change for Nadeau and Phan at their post season comps though.
Actually Roman won medals in both his SR B and Orzel missed a medal on the jr Grand Prix by .09.

mag

Actually Roman won medals in both his SR B and Orzel missed a medal on the jr Grand Prix by .09.

Yes, but those are hopefully not the kind of results that would overturn results from Nationals. SC has a very long past practice of going by the results of Nationals. A senior B medal, while very significant to the skater, is not significant in the over landscape of Canadian men’s skating to make a difference.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck

This is true. If Conrad had made the JGPF and Roman hadn’t finished last at Skate Canada then I think there would be a more convincing argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information