Canadian Ice Dance 2018-19 season news & updates

Sylvia

TBD

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting @Dobre from the 2019 Canadians forum in Kiss & Cry and replying here:
I am awful with dates, but I believe several of the Canadian junior dance teams will age up this season, provided they stay together and opt to continue:
-Fabbri & Ayer
-Fisher & Mallette-Paquette
-Stairs & Graham
Yes, these are the 3 of the 10 Canadian teams that competed on the JGP who will age out next season.
-And per the Canadian thread, Orihara & Royer. (I wasn't sure as I don't know when she was born. I believe he would have one more year).
According to their GFM page linked from their IG ( https://www.instagram.com/yukaleeicedance/ ), she was 17 when she moved to Canada from Japan last year and they will be able to represent Canada starting in February 2019. Royer turned 20 in late July so he and the team (eta: refer to post below for Orihara's birth date) would have one more season of ISU junior age eligibility next season.
Of course it is possible that Lajoie & Lagha will choose to move up next year. I believe they have one more year of junior eligibility if they wish. (Currently SB #26 and WS #30).
According to @levineismine's post earlier in this thread, Lajoie/Lagha are planning to move up to senior next year (at least domestically).

ISU SB current rankings/total scores of the 10 JGP teams:
26 166.52 Marjorie LAJOIE / Zachary LAGHA CAN ISU JGP Canada 2018 1st (164.51, 4th in JGPF; 153.79 2nd in AUT)
42 152.46 Ellie FISHER / Simon-Pierre MALETTE-PAQUETTE CAN ISU JGP Armenian Cup 3rd (141.60 5th in SLO)
57 140.67 Emmy BRONSARD / Aissa BOUARAGUIA CAN ISU JGP Czech Skate 2018 4th (138.73 6th in ARM)
63 138.13 Natalie D'ALESSANDRO / Bruce WADDELL CAN ISU JGP Canada 2018 6th (135.42 4th in AUT)
67 136.75 Ashlynne STAIRS / Elliott GRAHAM CAN ISU JGP Amber Cup 2018 6th
69 135.66 Alicia FABBRI / Paul AYER CAN ISU JGP Bratislava 2018 4th (131.41 7th in SLO)
70 134.19 Olivia MCISAAC / Corey CIRCELLI CAN ISU JGP Czech Skate 2018 7th
74 132.58 Irina GALIYANOVA / Grayson LOCHHEAD CAN ISU JGP Amber Cup 2018 7th
81 127.80 Miku MAKITA / Tyler GUNARA CAN ISU JGP Canada 2018 8th
88 124.57 Nadiia BASHYNSKA / Peter BEAUMONT CAN ISU JGP Bratislava 2018 9th

Skate Canada Challenge top 9 results:
1 156.73 Alicia Fabbri / Paul Ayer - QC 62.53 (1) 94.20 (1)
2 153.43 Yuka Orihara / Lee Royer - BC/YK 60.27 (4) 93.16 (3)
3 151.51 Irina Galiyanova / Grayson Lochhead - ON 60.98 (3) 90.53 (5)
4 150.65 Emmy Bronsard / Aissa Bouaraguia - QC 57.50 (7) 93.15 (4)
5 150.24 Ashylnne Stairs / Elliott Graham - ON 62.10 (2) 88.14 (8)
6 149.29 Ellie Fisher / Simon-Pierre Malette-Paquette - QC 55.82 (9) 93.47 (2)
7 146.84 Natalie D Alessandro / Bruce Waddell - ON 58.14 (5) 88.70 (6)
8 145.69 Miku Makita / Tyler Gunara - BC/YK 57.09 (8) 88.60 (7)
9 144.02 Olivia McIsaac / Corey Circelli - ON 57.93 (6) 86.09 (9)
13 127.80 Nadiia Bashynska / Peter Beaumont - ON

Should be an exciting and competitive Junior Dance event at Canadians!

Last edited:

jeb

^^^ Thanks, @RoseRed... I knew I had seen Orihara's birth date somewhere at one point! I've corrected my earlier post.

Scarboro FSC / Ice Dance Elite's Skate Canada Nationals Send off Gala - Saturday, January 5th, 2019 from 2-3 pm at the Ajax Arena in the Centennial Recreation Centre ($5 admission fee): http://www.sfsc.on.ca/skate_canada_nationals_send_off_gala_-_saturday_january_5th

My photos from this show. Unfortunately, for a couple of the teams, I didn't get photos that were good enough to share.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/janetliz/albums/72157675301352397

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

Dobre

So both Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen and Soucisse & Firus are using last year's FDs. S&F lost to Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen head-to-head with it last season. I would rather have seen S&F conquer the new program. But it could be a tight battle, and may well come down to execution during the event.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
So both Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen and Soucisse & Firus are using last year's FDs. S&F lost to Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen head-to-head with it last season. I would rather have seen S&F conquer the new program. But it could be a tight battle, and may well come down to execution during the event.

I lurve Soucisse & Firus, but I don't think it will be a tight battle..... :shuffle:

Geh

Live in Guardian Angel
The french of Nicolaj is so good! With the accent of Québec!!! Aund is english is also perfect, i'm jalous...

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins

To be fair... F-B&S stopped competing last year after Europeans 2018 in order to change countries... I'm not sure it's the same situation.

Plus I'm not a fan of S&F's "Canadian Ice Dance 101" FD from last year. I wish they'd stuck with this year's, or come up with something new. But you do what you have to in order to not lose too much ground.

I lurve Soucisse & Firus, but I don't think it will be a tight battle..... :shuffle:

Yeah, me either. F-B&S looked really good at the challenge. I expect them to keep pressure on the top two teams, not fight for third. But who knows? S&F may have had excellent skates in training since then, and the Danadian's RD may not stack up. Ice Dance at Canadians will be fun this year!

Colonel Green

Why? The teams’ personal bests under the previous system were about the same, and the one time they actually competed against each other this season, at Championnats in the RD, they were very close in scores.

Carolane and Shane certainly have had struggles since then, but they’re certainly capable of giving a good fight, especially if they’re returning to material that they were more successful with.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ 7 Erin Gillies / Joshua Tarry ON (15th at Challenge; replaced Stairs/Graham in the RD starting order)

Dobre

Two things I plan to watch for with Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen and Soucisse & Firus at Nationals.

1. Is the caller tight or loose on the pattern? It is the pattern that has really been kicking S&F's butts this season. If the calls are loose, it could greatly improve their chances of being competitive. (Though we have no idea how F-B&S would be fairing with the international callers on the pattern this season). Because the pattern is different than last year, the head-to-head results between F-B&S and S&F from last season can't tell us how much those two teams could diverge in the RD with a tight caller.

2. Sorensen's twizzles.

F-B&S are the faster team. It should be an advantage. Personally, I also think they have the stronger programs. Obviously they have a lot more experience. I would go with them. (I think they could fight for top ten at Worlds). But I do think F-B&S are likely to miss the twizzles in one dance or the other as that element has always had about a 50% success rate for them, and that has held true in both their events this season.

Sylvia

TBD

mackiecat

Natalie and Bruce are close behind at 58.75 and have had good free dance scores this year

Sylvia

TBD
Ice-Dance.com has individual profiles of all the Junior teams with program music linked from their 2019 Canadians hub -- scroll down & open the "COMPETITORS - JUNIOR" tab to view a compilation of season best RD, FD & total scores: https://www.ice-dance.com/site/coverage/event-coverage-2019-canadian-national-championships/

The "COMPETITORS - NOVICE" tab opens to photos/profiles of all the Novice teams, including FD music and season best FD & total scores.

Colonel Green

Natalie and Bruce are close behind at 58.75 and have had good free dance scores this year
And lo and behold:

Junior Nationals results (Free Dance)
1. Lajoie/Lagha - 179.71 (108.84, 1st in FD)
2. Fabbri/Ayer - 158.57 (96.37, 3rd in FD)
3. D'Alessandro/Waddell - 155.79, (97.04, 2nd in FD)
4. Fisher/Malette-Paquette - 152.78 (92.55, 5th in FD)
5. Orihara/Royer - 151.82 (91.41, 6th in FD)

Between the silver here and winning Challenge, Fabbri/Ayer have probably punched their ticket to Junior Worlds. Great for them after what must have been a really frustrating start to their season.

mackiecat

And lo and behold:

Junior Nationals results (Free Dance)
1. Lajoie/Lagha - 179.71 (108.84, 1st in FD)
2. Fabbri/Ayer - 158.57 (96.37, 3rd in FD)
3. D'Alessandro/Waddell - 155.79, (97.04, 2nd in FD)
4. Fisher/Malette-Paquette - 152.78 (92.55, 5th in FD)
5. Orihara/Royer - 151.82 (91.41, 6th in FD)
I did good on that projection...I’m not usually that good at it

mackiecat

So what does Skate Canada do for the second spot
Natalie and Bruce won the free, has a higher ISU season’s best and quite a few years of eligibility.
Fabbri/Ayer won the silver here and this is their last year of eligibility. So next year Canada would be sending all teams with no Jr World experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information