Remembering the Attack on Nancy Kerrigan 25 years ago

Triple loop

It really was a fair observation based on what we saw in 1993.

I don't see where she insinuated she'd win; I took her observation to mean she could surely be competitive....and she was. The coach who guested on TSL this week (Haw? forget his name) mused that if the event was scored properly Zayak should have won, even with 3L as her biggest jump.

I don't see where she insinuated she'd win; I took her observation to mean she could surely be competitive....and she was. The coach who guested on TSL this week (Haw? forget his name) mused that if the event was scored properly Zayak should have won, even with 3L as her biggest jump.

Oh, that's funny. She definitely won the audience's hearts. Do you know what coach was interviewed on the Skating lesson? I'd love to check it out.

meggonzo

Banned Member

:confused: I just listened to the TSL podcast this afternoon and didn't hear Doug Haw say that he though Zayak should have won in 94. Maybe I missed it but I feel like there would have been more discussion from Dave & Jonathan. Doug did say that he thought 94 was the best Elaine had ever skated in her career. Dave also mentioned that a friend of his though Elaine should have won the free skate at the 84 Olympics, but he thought that Tiffany Chin should have won the free.

Triple loop

Since we're talking about Elaine Zayak, her TSL interview is one of the best things you can listen to. She's such a personality but is also very self-deprecating and humble. She's a hoot to listen to. It seems she had some negative people in her life including her father who would tear her down. I remember was when she was training for 1994 Nationals, she was happy she lost some weight. She told her coach she lost I think it was 15 pounds and he was like "on which leg?" Nicole Bobek was super inspired to be sharing the ice with her it seemed from the way she hugged Zayak after Zayak's skate and on the way to her own free skate.

Zayak also shared a story about being in the locker room after the whack occurred and being like "omg this is crazy!" and how all of the competitors in the locker room were joking about how Tonya did it and how it's obvious she had something to do with it.

This interview cracks me up. Very detailed about her life with her foot, figures, Roz, and 1994. Very personable and friendly.

VGThuy

I just relistened to the portion of the Elaine Zayak interview where she spoke about 1994 and why she came back. She did mention watching 1993 Nationals. In this interview, she made it sound like she observed the level of skating and felt they weren't doing anything she couldn't really do so it informed her decision to come back. It wasn't about her thinking she could beat them but that in 10 years since her retirement she realized she was still capable of being competitive. If there was one competition that made a skater feel she could come back after nearly a 10 year hiatus from doing triples, it would be 1993 Nationals.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I just need to vent that my trainer at the gym was barely 5 when this happened, and he didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned it. Makes a girl feel old!

But he had heard about the movie "I, Tonya." So at least there's that...

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
This is the sickest thing in the history of USA television, it may even be worst then when the Teenage Ninja Turtle's did a Christmas special. Whomever is responsible for that is or should be either in the slammer or burning in hell, same for Tonia!

cmk

Marissa did DTWS and celebrity big brother, Ian Zierling was on dwts and worst cooks. Tonya was offered the big brother opportunity and took it. I will watch worst cooks. Maybe she will do celebrity ninja warrior after big brother wraps (or even the regular ninja warrior-has a skater ever competed on that show? A lot of gymnasts but I don't recall any skaters).

cmk

Didn't they say something about a surprise guest that hasn't been announced yet or was that Kato? I think Tonya would do better on celebrity ninja warrior , redneck island (if its still on), or wipeout. I can watch worst cooks, but have never been fond of big brother. I am sure she will be offered something soon though.

VGThuy

I don't think Celebrity Big Brother where people are filmed 24 hours a day and have no control over how they are being edited was the best choice for Tonya. I think if she was ever actually offered, she was wise to turn it down.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I don't think Celebrity Big Brother where people are filmed 24 hours a day and have no control over how they are being edited was the best choice for Tonya. I think if she was ever actually offered, she was wise to turn it down.

I have to agree with you. As much as I really hoping to see Tonya in this trainwreck, now that I think about it more carefully, I'm glad she's not in it. Especially considering she has a seven year old kid and a family. And now that she's not in it, I don't have to waste my time watching it.

ETA: I actually looked at the cast. Kandi, Scaramucci, Dina Lohan, Ryan Lochte, Tamar Braxton? I may end up watching after all. :lol:

Last edited:

VGThuy

I have to agree with you. As much as I really hoping to see Tonya in this trainwreck, now that I think about it more carefully, I'm glad she's not in it. Especially considering she has a seven year old kid and a family. And now that she's not in it, I don't have to waste my time watching it.

That's a very good point. It seems clear Tonya is devoted to her family and I don't think she will do anything that will force her to be separated from them for that long. Even DWTS didn't really require her to be away from her family for an extended period of time.

Inessence

True. Pretty sure she’d be inundated with knee jokes.

cmk

That's a very good point. It seems clear Tonya is devoted to her family and I don't think she will do anything that will force her to be separated from them for that long. Even DWTS didn't really require her to be away from her family for an extended period of time.
The husband and son stayed in LA with her for 3 of the 4 weeks while she was doing DTWS. I doubt Tonya was ever offered celebrity big brother . There are other reality shows where she would do better or have more fun. Masked singer might be fun for her (if only she could sing better), ninja warrior would actually be a better fit for her imo, and I am sure there will be more specials before or after nationals.

Japanfan

Why not a good choice for Tonya specifically?

Everyone who does those type of reality shows (or most of them) is filmed 24/7 and has not control over the editing.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that. TBH I don't think I'd consider it even if I were offered $1 million. I just don't think I could handle it well and would probably embarrass myself.

all_empty

Why not a good choice for Tonya specifically?

Everyone who does those type of reality shows (or most of them) is filmed 24/7 and has not control over the editing.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that. TBH I don't think I'd consider it even if I were offered $1 million. I just don't think I could handle it well and would probably embarrass myself.

It's a significant paycheck for CBB but I wouldn't want to deal with those personalities at all.

"DWTS" was perfect for Tonya because it was an athletic endeavor, got her back into a training regimen, a weekly competition she could practice/compete in. The press is heavy before the show, not too bad during, and your star fades pretty fast afterwards.

Kudos for her to sticking with her family.

BTW, I lived in the building they put the "DWTS" contestants in and the units are tiny (and expensive!). I think I was putting $2700/month in rent.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Being in Detroit for the 1994 National Championships was exciting, scary, and surreal. I will never forget it.

I would agree that the attack on Nancy really drew focus away from Elaine's brilliant comeback. I also recall how upset Kathy Casey was when her student, Scott Davis, won over Brian Boitano, and his victory was barely acknowledged, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information