News and updates à la Française, part trois

Moustaffask8r

On another note! Really happy for Louis Thauron! He and the new partner will be competing this week! They look great together! Best of luck! Alllllllez 🇫🇷
As for Abachkina ... that’s what happened when you chase too many rabbits at the same time!!! You loose them all!

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Thank you so much for this and may I say Guillaume's posture :swoon: so much extension through his spine just what's needed for Tango. Also Gaby is doing great on the non touching step sequence which looks quite intricate. Can't wait to see it in better quality. ( I feel sneaky/guilty using a bit of this thread and the ice dance hall to make up for the lack of P/C fan thread :shuffle: It does suck not to have a fan thread now they are finally competing but hey what you gonna do ...)

nimi

@Laney Apparently yes. This sounds nice (source):
Just like last year, children from different schools in Grenoble will attend the practice sessions at IDF ! They say there should be about 4000 children !!!!

I came across this twitter thread that has some translated quotes from today's Team France press conference, here: https://twitter.com/InTheLoPodcast/status/1065646271116034048

Group photos: https://twitter.com/InTheLoPodcast/status/1065664911248973824

This explains some things! :p
Update: Turns out Team France had challenged each other to each get a specific word into the presscon - "eggplant" for Morgan, "diplodocus" for Vanessa, "ham" for Maé-Bérénice, "parrot" for Laurine...

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
Update: Turns out Team France had challenged each other to each get a specific word into the presscon - "eggplant" for Morgan, "diplodocus" for Vanessa, "ham" for Maé-Bérénice, "parrot" for Laurine...

Cizeron's word was "tractor" and he didn't manage to include it in his speech ;) Ciprès said he was at the railway station sitting on his suitcase "like an eggplant", James mentionned that, as the oldest member of the team, she was the "diplodocus" of French skating, Meité talked about her training "not being ham", Ponsart declared the French team was "majestic"and Aymoz concluded the press conference by saying he was repeating everything like a parrot. Actually, in French, it's not as weird as it sounds in English although we wondered why they were suddenly using some kind of new idioms maybe ? :rofl: Someone (I don't remember who) was supposed to use "cuchette" which isn't even a French word. According to Ciprès, a "cuchette" (contraction of "cuillère" and "fourchette" = spoon and fork) is a spoon with tines. Some kind of "spork", or "foon" in English. Yes, of course, how could we not know that :lol:

Team France

Last edited:

jersey1302

Im VERY curious to see how the judges are going to be scoring this event and the spread between Gilles/Poirier and P/C. G/P hot 120 in the FD in their last event so does that mean P/C are 130? This new scoring system with the +/-5 is really confusing me with some of the scores because I keep going to compare them to previous teams and skates at the Olympics etc and its not quite matching lol .

Escarbille

Im VERY curious to see how the judges are going to be scoring this event and the spread between Gilles/Poirier and P/C. G/P hot 120 in the FD in their last event so does that mean P/C are 130? This new scoring system with the +/-5 is really confusing me with some of the scores because I keep going to compare them to previous teams and skates at the Olympics etc and its not quite matching lol .
Compared to the perfect score : translation of the score obtained as a percentage of the maximum theoretical score (perfect).
Season 2017-2018: SD = 85.3, FD = 124.7, Total = 210.0
This season 2018-2019: RD = 91.52, FD = 137.84, Total = 229.36.
Thus, a pair that skates 90% of perfection scored 189 last season ... and will get a score of 206.4 this season.

sus2850

cholla

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
With the new elements and increased GOE values (not just the scale), the max score for the FD went way up, in the 130s.

nimi

Can't seem to find the fan thread for Kévin. Does anybody know if there's already one somewhere?

Anyway, his SP from today is already on YT (yay!) and here's a recent interview with him, conducted after his glorious Skate Canada FS: http://absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2018kevinaymoz
And what are your goals between now and next Grand Prix?

The Federation gave some goals to me, for the season, and now since I was 7th, the goal is to be 5th. I’m trying to go up two more places, and to be consistent, and maybe have two quads by the end of the season.

Very diplomatic answer about his PCS... Good thing he made it to the last warm-up group this time around, I'm really looking forward to his free skate *prayer hands*
Are there things you are working on, to get your PCS scores higher, or do you think that will come with the consistency in the jumps?
Um, there are too many things, because I’m not…you know in skating, you don’t need to be famous, to have more points, but I skate second in the first group, after Jason Brown; he’s a really good skater, and after him I was not really clean, not consistent. [PCS] will be higher when the jumps come, when I do more competitions.

Also, congrats to Romain! His SP might only be my 3rd favorite "In This Shirt" program this season but that was a really nice skate. Thumbs up!

SlavicaK

My daughter is a novice skater here in Switzerland, where we live. We were at a regional competition this past weekend - imagine my surprise when I spotted Chafik Besseghier there! I chickened out and did not approach him to fangirl, so now I am left wondering what he was doing there. Is he transitioning to being a coach? There was certainly no ice for him to practice on, and it wasn't the Swiss championships to (possibly) watch out of interest. Does anyone know?

nimi

^ Chafik was originally on the list of entries for IdF, right? And then withdrew. I'm not sure what his status is, but when his gf Alisa Agafonova announced her retirement last spring, she said this:
I will actually move to France to my boyfriend and start a new life. Also I will start a new life as a coach too.
...so I wouldn't be surprised if Chafik is now transitioning to coaching, too.

cholla

Corentin has a younger brother or two? Still ice dancing?
The answer is late but it's a yes ;) Maximilien is still ice dancing with Sarah Lyoussi (sp ?). I think they plan to skate at next Bavarian Open. I saw that somewhere, don't remember where... On the FFSG website maybe.

nimi

Some French Nats results...
MBM skated a clean SP yesterday and an okay FS today and won her FIFTH National title! Congrats Máe! :encore:

And Kévin is leading after the SP by a 20-point margin! :eek::cheer:
While his score (95.40) might be just a liiiiiiittle bit inflated, I'm actually fine with that, and his K&C reaction is priceless so YAY KÉVIN!!!

Also Vanessa & Morgan skated a clean SP yesterday (for the first time this season, I guess?) and got 82.70, while P/C just skated their RD (85.89, no video yet)
EDIT: now there's video, but this is one of those events where the camera people don't want us to see what the skaters' feet/blades are doing, so good luck to anybody wanting to take a closer look at that TR pattern :/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information