JGP Dates/Locations for 2019/2020 (and GP dates)

kalamalka

From the communication linked at morqet's post for the TES minimums - thought this would merit its own thread.
https://www.isu.org/communications/18349-isu-communication-2205/file

8. ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Calendar season 2019/20
The Council approved the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Calendar for the season 2019/20 as follows:
August 21-24, 2019 Courchevel, France
August 28-31, 2019 Lake Placid, USA (including Pair Skating)
September 4-7, 2019 Riga, Latvia
September 11-14, 2019 Chelyabinsk, Russia (including Pair Skating)
September 18-21, 2019 Gdansk, Poland (including Pair Skating)
September 25-28, 2019 Zagreb, Croatia (including Pair Skating)
October 2-5, 2019 Egna, Italy

Dates but not specific locations (other than the final) for the GP series:

7. ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Calendar 2019/20
The ISU Council approved the Grand Prix of Figure Skating Calendar for the 2019/20 season. as
follows:
October 18-20, 2019 USA
October 25-27, 2019 Canada
November 1-3, 2019 France
November 8-10, 2019 China (to be confirmed)
November 15-17, 2019 Russia
November 22-24, 2019 Japan

Junior and Senior Grand Prix Final December 5- 8, 2019 Strasbourg, France (to be confirmed)

Other pieces of news:

- wonder what changes are coming for 4CC?

6. ISU Four Continents Speed Skating and Short Track Speed Skating Championships as of
season 2019/20 A separate ISU Communication informing ISU Members of the relevant details, such as format, dates,
applicable financial conditions and information regarding the application and allotment process is
under preparation for publication as soon as possible.

Pairs at Challengers - as Jeschke noted in the other thread, there will only be pairs at a limited number of challenger events starting next year("i.e., five of ten").

As an aside, Zagreb will be a busy place for a year or so - JW in March 2019, a JGP in September, and Euros in January 2020.

Frida80

Well at least I know where Alysa will debut. Hopefully she’ll feel less pressure than Stephan did. Come to think of it Stephan will probably be there too, since it’s so close. I guess I’ll go, if nothing else but to make certain the kids have good support. JGP crowd attendance ia ghastly.

Debbie S

I might go to LP depending on who is competing. I could drive there, even though it's a long trip, but no chance of snow at least. I've never been to LP or a JGP, so we'll see.

Frida80

I might go to LP depending on who is competing. I could drive there, even though it's a long trip, but no chance of snow at least. I've never been to LP or a JGP, so we'll see.

That’s the problem. We have no idea who will be there until three weeks before. I know that team USA will send their Top players in all events. If Alysa is there, Russia, Japan, and Korea will avoid sending their best ladies to increase their chance of making the finals. Same with men. And dance. Pairs is anyone’s game.

Debbie S

That’s the problem. We have no idea who will be there until three weeks before.
Yeah, I know. If I think there's a chance certain skaters I would want to see will be there, I'll probably make a hotel res that I can cancel.

RoseRed

That’s the problem. We have no idea who will be there until three weeks before. I know that team USA will send their Top players in all events. If Alysa is there, Russia, Japan, and Korea will avoid sending their best ladies to increase their chance of making the finals. Same with men. And dance. Pairs is anyone’s game.
I don't think Russia will really try to avoid her to be honest. They don't really do that in ladies. They'll have enough top level ladies that there will be strong girls there either way.

Frida80

I don't think Russia will really try to avoid her to be honest. They don't really do that in ladies. They'll have enough top level ladies that there will be strong girls there either way.

I think for this year it made since. But they didn't send their A team to Japan three seasons ago. I guess it depends how many girls Eteri is fielding next year. Four like last season or just three like this season.

hoptoad

I'd love to go to Lake Placid, but could only get there late Friday night at best. Any idea what the schedule will look like? All the short programs on Friday and all the frees on Saturday?

Maybe half a JGP is better than none. :)

kalamalka

Unfortunately for you, JGPs are usually held over 3 days (Thursday -Saturday), not 2. They have a lot more competitors, particularly in singles.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Finally a Jr GP in the USA, after a while. Whee!

Lake Placid is pure joy in August.

Alysa vs Eteri’s babes? Bring it on! Funny how the US is banking on one person. “Eteri’s Babes” are a bottomless barrel of talent.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Why are most of the Jr GP and Jr Worlds held in remote Central & Eastern Euro locales, year after year? Co$t???

euterpe

I'm thinking of going too, although I'm no longer within driving distance (I recently moved to North Carolina). I've been to two previous JGPs at Lake Placid and had a blast both times.

text_skate

I hope GPF in Strasbourg does not fall on the European Parliament's plenary week...
I can't imagine, they haven't checked before. It's next to impossible to find a hotel or hostel.
Even in the non-session weeks: Strasbourg and reasonable prices for accommodation :mad:

ETA: I've checked, the session is scheduled for 16 - 19 December 2019 | Strasbourg

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

It's a great time of year to be in Lake Placid. Very bucolic at the end of the summer. Three hours north west as the crow flies for me. This is a great possibility for me.

Tinami Amori

I think for this year it made since. But they didn't send their A team to Japan three seasons ago. I guess it depends how many girls Eteri is fielding next year. Four like last season or just three like this season.
Oh, please... stop looking for "Russian faults" where there is none.... 3 season ago several girls who where "top" then, are no longer top now. Samodurova at the time was "top Mishin's jr. star" and she was sent to Japan. There were no "top girls: aka Med/Zag/Tsur" in Dresden, Germany that season either. There are travel, visa, money issues too. Sending jr. skaters to Europe is much easier and faster. Also underage Russians needs visas, and a lot of customs/entry paperwork for juniors (unlike in other countries), and substituting or starting the process is not quick and easy.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Are there any rumors about where Skate America 2019 might end up? In a better, more organized world, it would have already been announced, but maybe I live in a better, more organized world and am simply not good enough or organized enough to realize it.:shuffle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information