Savchenko/Massot Fan Thread

savchenkoboss

Banned Member
Does anyone know if they are coming back to compete next season? Maybe it will depend what the competition does this season. I think that was part of Virtue & Moir hedging on their comeback, they surveyed the landscape, decided if whether or not they were still competitive, decided yes, then it was a go.

Mad for Skating

Does anyone know if they are coming back to compete next season? Maybe it will depend what the competition does this season. I think that was part of Virtue & Moir hedging on their comeback, they surveyed the landscape, decided if whether or not they were still competitive, decided yes, then it was a go.

Well they'll be off through 2019 worlds, that much is confirmed.

aftershocks

Banned Member
A new TSL interview with Aljona Savchenko:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb0_JIaFh8w&feature=youtu.be

Aljona is delightful. I enjoyed hearing her talk about her approach to last season, their ups-and-downs, and particularly the Olympic experience: the uplifting and surreal combination of joy in victory and the almost depleted sense of, "I achieved my dream. I can't believe it. What do I do now? I want to go back..." :) Also, the dynamic between her and Bruno in preparing for taking the ice in both their programs. How calm came over both of them during their fp. And a moment when Aljona is in a lift thinking, "I'm at the Olympics. Give the crowd something extra." And then she quickly tones herself down and says, "No, concentrate to the end."

I also loved hearing that Ingo texted Aljona: "Now you have your gold medal. Congratulations!" And that Robin sent her a message too. :cheer2:

Last edited:

annie_mg

Aljona is in Berlin and did an interview today:https://www.t-online.de/sport/winte...ant-olympia-heldin-savchenko-die-zukunft.html (in German). Short summary: she says that if she won gold once, she can do it again, but only with Bruno. If he doesn't want to, then there are other things in life, such as kids. She also says that a 1-2 year break when you have been skating for 30 years is nothing. The whole interview will be online in a few weeks time!

annie_mg

There's an interview of Liam on the Olympic Channel podcast (latest one): https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/olympic-channel-podcast/id1347405249?mt=2

He mentions being physically sick because of stress before the Olympics but also how he proposed, how they first met etc. It's nice to hear the side of the ones supporting the athletes. And I love how he talks about her and the trust between them. Apparently there's another interview from the same day with Aljona, coming up soon.

Mad for Skating

There's an interview of Liam on the Olympic Channel podcast (latest one): https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/olympic-channel-podcast/id1347405249?mt=2

He mentions being physically sick because of stress before the Olympics but also how he proposed, how they first met etc. It's nice to hear the side of the ones supporting the athletes. And I love how he talks about her and the trust between them. Apparently there's another interview from the same day with Aljona, coming up soon.

Aww what a sweetie, Aljona chose well!

Mad for Skating

Mad for Skating

On Instagram TSL posted Aljona helping Chinese pairs right now.

Looks like she is still in demand in spite she ditched the Knierims.

Good for her! Hopefully this arrangement will work out okay. Just because her first attempt at coaching failed doesn’t mean it’s over for her. (In fact, she’s the one who taught me that sometimes it takes FIVE tries before you get it!)

aftershocks

Banned Member
Bringing this conversation over from J/C thread, as it's more appropriate here:

... in remembering interviews with Aljona about the early stages of the partnership, Bruno really did not like Ingo, didn’t get along with him, and was the one who pointed out to her what an expletive he was being and that they should find a different coach. She was too enmeshed at that point to realize how bad the atmosphere was.

Ah, gossip. Not that there's no truth to this. But there is often two sides to every story and lots of things we don't know.

I'm interested to read these interviews. Do you know where I would find them? Weren't Ingo and Aljona a couple at one point? ... As much as I would have liked Bruno Massot to have a few more seasons as a top skater (as his career, while very well decorated, was quite short in the top levels )

Yes they were, off-and-on. Reportedly, they had a volatile relationship... Robin was the calm amidst the storm.

Last edited:

text_skate

Article about S/M: https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/savchenko-massot-eiskunstlauf-zugabe-1.4264636

A good read in one of the biggest German newspaper, which is good for public relations.

Not much news in it, just a longer piece about their current state of affairs, the way they shortened their FS for show's. Bruno's back seems to do better, with less pain :encore:. A paragraph on Alexander König, who has still not gotten his promised contract as head national coach for pair sakting – bureaucracy, he says, which is annoying.

Quadjump

Article about S/M: https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/savchenko-massot-eiskunstlauf-zugabe-1.4264636

A good read in one of the biggest German newspaper, which is good for public relations.

Not much news in it, just a longer piece about their current state of affairs, the way they shortened their FS for show's. Bruno's back seems to do better, with less pain :encore:. A paragraph on Alexander König, who has still not gotten his promised contract as head national coach for pair sakting – bureaucracy, he says, which is annoying.

There was a shorter article about them some days ago. Uwe Dönsdorf mentioned Bruno's future to be uncertain. Aljona may continue with another Partner.

Honestly I see him retire. Without Ballester and König there is nobody he can rely on. He and Aljona trust each other but are probably not close friends. Although the new judging system is made for their huge elements Bruno might be saturated.

Aljona may start once again. But in this case it is time to restart with a new Partner right now. There is no time left for babies or shows. And there is no possible open partner in my head who's skating level is compareable with Bruno's.

Spun Silver

Sylvia

TBD

vanillashake

Banned Member
It seems unlikely they will return to amateur. I understand it but I am still sad. I wonder if Aliona will eventually surface in another amateur comeback with a new partner if Bruno doesnt want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information