Now that was fast! Akiko Suzuki is getting divorced.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
Sasha Cohen didn't even make her marriage last that long, right? And Michelle Kwan's marriage was in and out pretty quickly too. Also Weir's first marriage seemed much shorter than his program to Otonal. It's no big deal.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Sasha Cohen didn't even make her marriage last that long, right? And Michelle Kwan's marriage was in and out pretty quickly too. Also Weir's first marriage seemed much shorter than his program to Otonal. It's no big deal.

I think it is a big deal. Marriage / commitment / promise / pledge....all a big deal. At least nobody had kids!

Rock2

Noting that the marriage ended quickly in the thread title is not insensitive.
It's pretty obvious and factual. There was no editorial comment on its quickness.

In this age of outrage I continue to be amazed by the race to be offended by every little thing.

Sylvia

TBD
Holy crap, I had no idea Sasha was getting divorced.
It was mentioned in this February 2018 article: https://people.com/sports/newly-sin...pose-in-helping-kids-and-a-career-in-finance/

I don't recall ever hearing about Akiko Suzuki's marriage either... all the best to and for her.

ETA her tweet after the news came out: https://twitter.com/Mariakko2010/status/1050724280164528130
Machine translation: I am sorry for all the people who always support me. We've made a decision to live separate lives, but that's a positive decision. Thank you in the future!

Last edited:

Japanfan

I think it is a big deal. Marriage / commitment / promise / pledge....all a big deal. At least nobody had kids!

Well, getting divorced is usually a big deal for anyone who goes through it. You have to deal with all the legal and financial details, and split the property in collaboration with a person you broke up with, possibly in an acrimonious fashion.

I think most people have good intentions when they marry. But things don't always work out. It's always been like this, but divorce was not always an option.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
So what if it was quick? This is the most conformist thread I’ve come across on FSU. :slinkaway

Tinami Amori

I think most people have good intentions when they marry.
And some just fall under social pressures "must be married and have a family" and in some cases even "by a certain age" especially in traditional societies like Japan and other.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
For all of those having a conniption over the thread title, the headline of the Japanese article that is linked called it a “Speedy divorce” so don’t shoot the messenger. :p

Oh, that explains it. I was a bit confused because admins around here don't tend to express opinions in thread titles!

Japanfan

And some just fall under social pressures "must be married and have a family" and in some cases even "by a certain age" especially in traditional societies like Japan and other.

True, but in those cases people probably do start off with good intentions. It's simply easier than harboring resentment and anger.

Also, it's been argued that the Japanese way of arranged marriage between individuals with similar backgrounds actually works well much of the time - the marriage may not be based on love initially, but love grows in such relationships.

Of course, societal pressure may be the reason that some couples stay together, rather than love.

But, I think that perspective is interesting and perhaps true at least some of the time. Especially given that romantic love so often turns out to be wonderful but short-lived.

barbarafan

True, but in those cases people probably do start off with good intentions. It's simply easier than harboring resentment and anger.

Also, it's been argued that the Japanese way of arranged marriage between individuals with similar backgrounds actually works well much of the time - the marriage may not be based on love initially, but love grows in such relationships.

Of course, societal pressure may be the reason that some couples stay together, rather than love.

But, I think that perspective is interesting and perhaps true at least some of the time. Especially given that romantic love so often turns out to be wonderful but short-lived.
I don't think anyone really knows another person until they live with them. I also do not think people know themselves completely until they live with a person who is not family therefore having many of the same attitudes habits likes and dislikes. How can you choose someone for yourself for a lifetime when you do not truly know yourself. You can be lucky and all things mesh or one or the other easily adjusts but lots of times things just get worse as times go on. As well you can have life-changing experiences after you wed which completely changes you or your spouse so the things that bind you together are no longer there.

hanca

Values her privacy
The question is whether the Japanese type of arranged marriage really work well much of the time, or whether it only works for external appearances and either of the partners is unhappy, but doesn’t say anything because of the pressure from the extended family and from the society. I think the pressure on women to just shut up and just get on with it is huge. The fact that marriage doesn’t end with divorce doesn’t mean it is a happy marriage.

DreamSkates

The question is whether the Japanese type of arranged marriage really work well much of the time, or whether it only works for external appearances and either of the partners is unhappy, but doesn’t say anything because of the pressure from the extended family and from the society. I think the pressure on women to just shut up and just get on with it is huge. The fact that marriage doesn’t end with divorce doesn’t mean it is a happy marriage.

Arranged marriages? That is an older tradition. Most today do not marry due to parental arrangement. Easy info to find via google.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information