The Dance Hall 6: We're All Off Our Rockers 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstflight

Yeah, the stop in the middle sort of messed with the overall impression. They were going for more of a Flamenco/Tango themed RD?

EDIT: What's up with the level 1 twizzles for both of them? They could have easily scored within the eighties?

Yes, this was a statement score for them. I am thinking there will be quite a push for the podium for them this season at worlds, which would be fine by me. I agree with those who enjoyed their RD, disjointed as it was here, and look forward to their already buzzed-about FD.

Rafter

Her posture was always good except in the last yr they were together...An easy fix...If you look at older programs there was not a problem.

It would seem skating skills are a much harder fix

I’m sorry but are you talking about Crone? Having good posture? Uh NO. Her big weakness was her posture - she was stiff through the shoulders and piked forward at the waist. It got better near the end but it was always her/their downfall.

Rafter

I am going to say that Gilles/Poirier’s free dance this season has surpassed anything I have ever seen by a Canadian dance team for emotional depth. Crone/Poirier never had and were never going to have that sort of chemistry.

And Piper and Paul do not have chemistry either. I don’t think Paul Poirier has it in him to have chemistry with a woman. He’s more cerebral/quirky.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Where is the Tango in S/B RD ? Watching it without the music is even more telling, there is absolutely zero tango moves, amazing prowess at least in the 1st part. As for the 2nd part of the RD (after the confetti disaster) is just the pattern, one lift and the end pose. So far, Piper/Paul have the best RD.

puglover

What I see with Piper and Paul is a sense of them being comrades who enjoy each other. In the interview I watched recently it would seem that Paul is somewhat of a perfectionist who corrects people when they misspeak - and Piper gets a kick out of it - not everyone's reaction. Maybe not palpable sexual tension, but easy, enjoyable, comfortable. The passion in the "Vincent" free dance should be about the artist and his life and death - not man/woman, IMHO.

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
Chemistry seems to be in the eye of the beholder!
Anyway I enjoy them for their quirkiness and originality. They mesh well also. Does chemistry have to be sexual?

No, it doesn't. Sarah Rasher's great blog article (initially about Karina Manta's coming out, but it talks about relationships in Ice Dance) explores this idea:

If the simmering romantic subtext of ice dance is your favorite thing about the sport, there’s nothing wrong with that – as long as you can acknowledge that teams with other kinds of chemistry, and programs with other stories to tell, can still be of high quality and worthy of high scores.

In terms of Piper & Paul, I always thought that had a sense of fun, we-are-pals chemistry, but this year's programs seem to go beyond that, but not in a romantic way. The sense of, caring about your best friend when they are going through something horrible, and knowing that whatever you do, whatever you want to do, you can't fix it for them. The theater of the dance put the role of the person-in-pain on Paul (in the role of the artist), and the person-wanting-to help on Piper (in the role of the night sky), which I also thought was an interesting role reversal, given what Piper went through this summer, losing her mother.

A few weeks ago, there was an interview with Piper and Paul from the Canadian camp, and one of the things they talked about (it's about 10 minutes in), was that when Piper went back to Colorado while her mom was dying, Paul went with her, to help and support her (and her family). Paul talked about how he really tried to be open to what she needed (and didn't need) during that time. Anyway, I got that sense of that kind of "trying to be there for someone" coming through in this program.

caseyedwards

Judges are dumping Russian dance even more this season! They are probably going to have their worst season ever and it’s a post Olympic season! Where things are supposed to change. By judges were brutal and crushing toward s/b with only 2 +5 in goe out of possible 40 and level 1’s in twizzles and cruelly calling supposed skaters with potential shipeleva and Smirnov basic skaters.

Icetigger

Where is the Tango in S/B RD ? Watching it without the music is even more telling, there is absolutely zero tango moves, amazing prowess at least in the 1st part. As for the 2nd part of the RD (after the confetti disaster) is just the pattern, one lift and the end pose. So far, Piper/Paul have the best RD.

Where was the tango? Musically speaking, it was hiding behind a habanera........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1ZZfrvBaWQ

Last edited:

GreenGan

Ever since Piper & Paul debuted their programs this year that have received some fanfare, I've been witnessing a bit of a pushback from a few different corners. That's all I'll say about that.
Throwing shade without throwing shade ? Clever :p
More seriously, attention brings attention. I didn't really like a program from G/P since 2016, but I hadn't felt like I needed to give my opinion on them since they were not really relevant, especially with V/M back. Now people are reacting, because other people are hyping them. I don't think great program is what they really needed, as I don't think thay had bad program, just not great ones.

They needed to up the technical and look like they are working and are not whining about judges or originality. ("it's Russia" and all that shit) And then we'll see if there is result or not. So far, I've liked the progress they made, despite a FD that doesn't attracts me.
That's why I didn't really like your comparision with the Shibs earlier in this thread. It was not really nice for the sibling, they had one great program and then (at least, depending on the season) one good program per year, but despite that, they had result. They fought for it and didn't complain too much.

Icetigger

Piper and Paul's FD is enchanting (somewhat them/somewhat the Don Mclean song). But there is a judging system, and there are technical requirements; and I think it may well be one of those programmes where there is a huge gap between audience reception and that of the judges. The key aim of theirs this season must be to make the GPF, but they are up against S/K at both grand prix events, who look fast off the blocks this season,so that could be tough. They were also only 6th at Worlds last year, which is the same as in 2015, having then slipped to eighth the following two years. They've also stuck with the same coaches… and in a season where innovation and creativity have been underlined they are using the same rotational lift as last year in both the short and free, and the same choreo spinning movement. Basically, looking at a failure to improve their standing in the rankings over the last three years, a non-change of coach, and recycling of elements, a lack of transitions in parts of their programmes, and also the technical deficiencies they have too, I doubt a sudden leap up: I expect the Canadian Fed's hope for the future has already bypassed them and is on Lajoie and Lagha.
Also, don't be surprised if we don't see a senior Canadian dance team at the GPF.

Miloune

I was thinking, isn't the rhythm this year Tango + spanish dance? Including Tango again so you can go tango all the way or not. Isn't that what they're doing? (Tango + Paso?)

Last edited:

Icetigger

I was thinking, isn't the rhythm this year Tango + another spanish dance? Including Tango again so you can go tango all the way or not. Isn't that what they're doing? (Tango + Paso?)

It's tango and any other rhythm. And by tango they mean Argentine tango..... However by using a Piaf song about Carmen written on the Habanera Rhythm for the Tango Romantica, they have produced a very Spanish themed programme that doesn't really convey anything of the tango (and that's before looking at the choreo).

mollymgr

I was thinking, isn't the rhythm this year Tango + another spanish dance? Including Tango again so you can go tango all the way or not. Isn't that what they're doing? (Tango + Paso?)

Rhythm/Music: Tango or Tango plus one additional rhythm. It has to be 110-114 bpm.

Miloune

It's tango and any other rhythm. And by tango they mean Argentine tango..... However by using a Piaf song about Carmen written on the Habanera Rhythm for the Tango Romantica, they have produced a very Spanish themed programme that doesn't really convey anything of the tango (and that's before looking at the choreo).

Yeah I have to admit it all feels very Spanish and not very Tango romantica..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information