Downtown Jason Brown - Let the Good Times Roll (uber thread #2)

annie720

Didn't he cut off his pony tail months ago? This looks like he just had a clipper taken to the back and sides, which isn't that drastic a change :confused:

He got it cut some after moving to Toronto but was still able to pull it back into a bun.

The Accordion

He looks like he's squinting in the sun to me.
I think it is tough to assign emotion to a snapshot. (Unless he also posted a video where he talked about it that I didn't see?)
Not disagreeing that it could be just that he is squinting in this case and I hope so! - but I will agree to disagree that you can't assign emotion to a snapshot in general. That's kind of what photos do --- thus "a picture is worth a thousand words"kind of deal. I am also used to seeing him look super happy a great deal of the time so...

Last edited:

barbarafan

Not disagreeing that it could be just that he is squinting in this case and I hope so! - but I will agree to disagree that you can't assign emotion to a snapshot in general. That's kind of what photos do --- thus "a picture is worth a thousand words"kind of deal. I am also used to seeing him look super happy a great deal of the time so...

I think he was just playing up the story. On instagram on the way to hairplace was terrified of cutting it....showed the cut...had a shot of OMG what have I done...and next shot was a nice smile. Tons of hair though...maybe he could of donated it to use in a wig for children undergoing chemo.....several hospitals have a program.

katmari

Jason's bio has been updated on the US Figure Skating Fan Zone:

http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=38

Tracy Wilson, Brian Orser, Karen Preston and Lee Barkell are listed as his coaches.

Program Music:
SP: "Love is a B****” by Two Feet
FS: “Old Friends/Bookends/Hazy Shade of Winter” by Simon and Garfunkel

Well, it's not classical and it's not a war horse and I already own the songs so I approve. :lol:

So, I noticed that Medvedeva had a kitty character tissue box cover at the Russian test skates. Since this seems to be a thing with Orser's students, what will Jason's tissue box cover be?

A writer once compared him to Tigger. I could see him having something like that for a tissue box cover. :biggrinbo

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Jason has a new video series on the U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone.

Working with Orser and associate coaches Lee Barkell and Karen Preston to change his jump technique is a lot tougher, but will hopefully pay dividends. The team isn't just tweaking Brown's triple Axel or quadruple toe loop; they are, in his words, "picking apart everything."

"We're taking the time because we're looking at it as a four-year thing," Brown said. "I don't want to say I don't care about this year, but I want to peak in four years. I want to start from the ground up, and I told them that. If I was going to make the change, I'm going to make the change. I wasn't going to have one foot in, one foot out."

AYS

🌻
Jason's bio has been updated on the US Figure Skating Fan Zone:

http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=38

Tracy Wilson, Brian Orser, Karen Preston and Lee Barkell are listed as his coaches.

Program Music:
SP: "Love is a B****” by Two Feet
FS: “Old Friends/Bookends/Hazy Shade of Winter” by Simon and Garfunkel

Well, it's not classical and it's not a war horse and I already own the songs so I approve. :lol:
Not sure I would have chosen those particular songs but I'm ridiculously excited about Jason interpreting S&G.

Spiralgraph

Jason looks really good. Without the bun/ponytail he doesn't look like a teenager anymore. I'm anticipating his LP now he'll have a new look, I'm glad he's working with a different choreographer.

aftershocks

Banned Member
The SP is Rohene's choreo.

Ah, thanks for the info. I wondered. Could not trust much that the Canadian commentators said in terms of skater bios because they were looking at old bio information, and/or making erroneous assumptions! :duh: (e.g., incorrect coaching and choreographer references to Denney/Frazier and to Mae-Berneice Meite, as well as incorrect choreographer references to James/Cipres for this season).

Jason looks good, as well very confident and more mature (to be expected as he has grown so much these past four years). :) His triple-axel definitely appears to have more height and ease. Good luck to him this season and going forward! JB is always a pleasure to watch. :encore:

ETA: Also, I call out TSL for erroneously assuming that Rohene was behind Jason's sp last season. :rolleyes: Nope, Jason begged Kori and Rohene to allow him to skate to a tune from Hamilton, and they reluctantly agreed after failing to talk Jason out of it. Jason revealed as much in one of his vlogs last season. Jason actually desired to skate his fp to a Hamilton offering, but Kori and Rohene eventually settled on the sp Room Where It Happens. And that was ultimately a good program for Jason, despite the dislike from so many quarters. It is not a bad program, no matter who doesn't like it.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Could not trust much that the Canadian commentators said in terms of skater bios because they were looking at old bio information, and/or making erroneous assumptions! :duh: (e.g., incorrect coaching and choreographer references to Denney/Frazier and to Mae-Berneice Meite, as well as incorrect choreographer references to James/Cipres for this season).
Off-topic, but it's not the commentators' fault that these particular skaters' ISU bios have not yet been updated re. coaches/program music for the 2018-19 season (they don't have research staff like NBC & CBC Sports do).

I didn't see this posted here - quotes from Jason in the first part of Lynn Rutherford's 9/20 Autumn Classic preview article:
“Every day I work with them, learning their (jump) technique,” Brown said at U.S. Figure Skating’s Champs Camp last month. “It’s been harder than I thought it would be. You take what you think you know and they kind of change it all, to fit their method. I’m trying to learn it the best I can, but it’s a process.”
“They are picking apart everything, every triple jump,” Brown said. “We’re taking the time because we’re looking at it as a four-year thing… I want to peak in 2022 (for the Beijing Olympics). That’s where my head is. I want to start from the ground up.”
Jason tried a 4S (fell) at the beginning of his Simon & Garfunkel FS run through earlier today, then landed a good 3A+3T, stopped for a bit, fell out of his second 3A, then landed 3Lo and 3Lz+2T+2Lo. I'm not yet sure about the S&G medley of songs -- my first impression is that the majority of the selections seems too melancholy/wistful for him.

Last edited:

SkateFanBerlin

Wow - bad night for Jason. I would feel better if what he says is true - i.e. they're changing most of his technique and it will take multiple years. I miss those error-free programs of yore. I'll say a little prayer for Jason tonight. Can't be easy for him.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Off-topic, but it's not the commentators' fault that these particular skaters' ISU bios have not yet been updated re. coaches/program music for the 2018-19 season (they don't have research staff like NBC & CBC Sports do).

I'm not attempting to tear them down, and I don't expect them to know everything about some skaters who aren't Canadian. Nor am I blaming them for bios not being updated. Sure, they don't have enough staff resources to do the necessary research for accuracy like the big networks, including NBC, et al. But boy am I tired of the knee-jerk excuses skating community apologists always make regarding simple stuff like getting skaters' current coaches and choreographers accurate during on-air commentary. The stellar program info update spreadsheet that you and @clairecloutier compile on FSU is a great resource. Spread the word to skating insiders! It would be so easy to check this FSU resource, rather than falling back erroneously on obviously outdated US figure skating bios from last season! Certain details if they have some interest and time to actually follow fs news during the off-season, they should be more aware of, IMHO. Also, why not correct themselves when they obviously see that Sylvia Fontana and John Zimmerman are in the kiss 'n cry with Meite, and not the coaches they named on air. :duh:

I could go on about some of their commentary too, but 'nuff said. Wilkes and Barton are competent, knowledgeable and genial, as well as imperfect in some respects. None of us are perfect, and I don't demand perfection. But it shouldn't be that hard to make more of an attempt to be accurate and up-to-date within the realm of figure skating coverage. Personally, I am grateful to have even had the livestream coverage at all of AC. I enjoy listening to Ted Barton in particular. He really tries to be fair, and I realize that on-air commentary is not as easy and simple as it seems, despite one's expertise and insider knowledge complicated by lack of research staff resources.

AYS

🌻
Disappointing performance in the lp, but it's early times yet. I love S&G but I really wish he'd chosen other songs. That said, I am 100% certain (if he keeps it), the program will come off very different in another few weeks time. Was that supposed to be a quad sal attempt to start? Is that what he's been doing in practice?

I'm apparently in an unusually optimistic mood (at least regarding skating). :lol:

Loved the sp.

annie720

Disappointing performance in the lp, but it's early times yet. I love S&G but I really wish he'd chosen other songs. That said, I am 100% certain (if he keeps it), the program will come off very different in another few weeks time.......

In the Lynn Rutherford article from this week, Jason said he was initially "really against" the long program, though he eventually came to love it. I want to give this time, but I'm beginning to wish he had gone with his original instincts and said no, thank you, to Wilson's choices.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
The SP is brilliant, I love it, YES.

The FS is - bland. Boring. No Jason spark. So white bread. I've always said that Jason has never really had a horrible program - well, this is coming close to being his Footloose.

In the Lynn Rutherford article from this week, Jason said he was initially "really against" the long program, though he eventually came to love it.

If this is true it explains a lot, just as Rohene not really wanting Jason to do a Hamilton program last year explained a lot about the choreography of that, too.

Why does Wilson still get work? He doesn't done any great programs in years. It's all this bland stuff.

Sorry folks, I'm disappointed (not in Jason, never in Jason!) and short on sleep.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting from the Medvedeva Cheer thread:
https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/s...ready-to-work-after-silver-at-autumn-classic/
She might have been feeling lost if not for American Jason Brown, who competed at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi and was an alternate to the U.S. team in 2018. Brown was the first person Medvedeva and her mother saw in Canada.
“He brought us, me and my mom, from the airport with a car,” she told reporters. “He’s a really good guy. I was so happy he met us because it’s an absolutely new country. He helped us a lot.”
According to the Russian skater, Brown has helped set up their life in Canada – everything from television and internet access to documents they might need.
Like Medvedeva, Brown recently moved to train with Orser - and alongside two-time Olympic champion Yuzuru Hanyu.
“It’s just amazing. With Yuzu, and with Jason and [Gabrielle Daleman], everybody is just so different, have different personalities,” she said. “They’re such good guys, everybody.”
:)

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
This will sound simplistic (and I'm not ragging on S&G; I like them), but it was a great mistake to give Jason a song with so many repetitions of "old" in it. It really does affect the viewer, and not in a good way. You've got the tame choreography and the bowling shirt and then you throw in the constant "OLD friends, OLD friends, OLD friends," and it's like watching Grandpa on Ice. It's all wrong for someone as vibrant and expressive as Jason.

screech

I actually found the first 2/3 of his program sounded like a piece I'd expect someone to skate to in Stars on Ice or something. It didn't sound like a competition piece.

I did enjoy his SP, though.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
This will sound simplistic (and I'm not ragging on S&G; I like them), but it was a great mistake to give Jason a song with so many repetitions of "old" in it. It really does affect the viewer, and not in a good way. You've got the tame choreography and the bowling shirt and then you throw in the constant "OLD friends, OLD friends, OLD friends," and it's like watching Grandpa on Ice. It's all wrong for someone as vibrant and expressive as Jason.

I'm absolutely convinced they edited the line, "How terribly strange to be 70," because they figured that was the median age of the audience.

Sylvia

TBD
I actually found the first 2/3 of his program sounded like a piece I'd expect someone to skate to in Stars on Ice
I had a vague memory of seeing an "Old Friends" Simon & Garfunkel SOI group number and looked it up on YT -- "Old Friends/Bookends" (Scott Hamilton, Kristi Yamaguchi, Katia Gordeeva, Kurt Browning & Steven Cousins) was performed on the 1999-2000 SOI tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zltOyjl3OFc&t=7m12s

From the end of Lynn Rutherford's Autumn Classic men's recap article for NBC Sports:
[Tracy] Wilson, though, said they are just getting started.
“Let’s face it, he is a brilliant skater and he’s gotten close to the top of the world,” Wilson said of Brown, who was fourth in the world in 2015. “It’s a fine line trying to find room for improvement, and so that’s what we are trying to do. We are throwing a lot at him. We’re going to pull back a little.”
“What he brings, though, cannot be ignored,” she added. “My husband can be in the rink and know nothing about skating, and be mesmerized by what Jason does. He could teach clinics for every step sequence and position details. He is integral to what the sport needs.”

barbarafan

Wow - bad night for Jason. I would feel better if what he says is true - i.e. they're changing most of his technique and it will take multiple years. I miss those error-free programs of yore. I'll say a little prayer for Jason tonight. Can't be easy for him.
I am sure it is very hard....Way to soon to use muscle memory....He will end up will old technique...He is used to losing himself in his programs when he competes but he had to think all the way through. Hopefully we shall see improvement each outing.

aftershocks

Banned Member
who's got the free skate that is not in silence? tag me please:)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6u5ys3?playlist=x6143x

In the Lynn Rutherford article from this week, Jason said he was initially "really against" the long program, though he eventually came to love it. I want to give this time, but I'm beginning to wish he had gone with his original instincts and said no, thank you, to Wilson's choices.

I can see Jason not really feeling this music for his fp. I'm not feeling it for him either, especially the fluffy saccharine first cuts. By the time the music picks up the beat at 3:37 in (and ironically becomes unsilenced on Youtube), it's too late. There's just something random and disconnected about it all, and not well thought out for Jason. There's no connection at all to Jason's style of skating. Nothing solid, meaty, meaningful or substantial. It looks as if Jason is giving it a try, but that he's not really convinced or inspired and that doesn't bode well IMHO.

I love Jason's sp by Rohene. It just works so much better than the fp, and I like his sp costume too. His costume for the fp OTOH does nothing for him or the program. If he's not fully motivated by the music, I think it's more difficult for him to try to go into a quad as his opening element in the fp. Why not get his legs underneath him first with a double-axel?

If they were going to use Simon & Garfunkel, why not select something funkier, or else a cover version like Disturbed's Sound of Silence? Medleys can be rather problematic if not given a lot of thought, careful selection and editing. I also liked Jason's first haircut better over the summer, with more length and a dye job on top. But it's not so much about his hair, as it is about being sure he finds music and movement that he can really be challenged and motivated by. I'd be surprised to see this current fp going far. And he hasn't had enough time with the Orser team yet to get the quads working, so why not keep training the new technique and go for some consistency in early competitions?

I really do not think that David Wilson is the answer for everyone choreographically. It looks like Wilson has done some good work this season apparently for a more mature and more muscular Romsky (who just edged Jason for bronze at AC). Romsky is flashing some decent quads and he's got some developing artistic chops too. Jun Hwan Cha is also coming on strong with more maturity, consistency and absolutely blazing talent, sporting a fab sp, as well as a rockin' fp by Shae Lynn Bourne. And we know that Kolyada has sought some help and inspiration from Raf over the summer. Kolyada is looking good so far, and he's even seeming to channel Nathan's VWang Olympic-style costuming for his sp. :p Dmitri Aliev is also very talented and he cannot be counted out to challenge at the top.

I'd like to see Jason get a better fp and explore working with someone other than Wilson. Why not Buttle, Shae Lynn, Lori, Kerr, Camerlengo, or even Benoit? This David Wilson fp is simply NOT Jason's vibe. Jason is musical and he knows how to tell a story on the ice. I know Jason is likely being diplomatic and he's giving this music and choreo the old college rah rah team try, but he needs something much stronger, deeper and edgier than this trifle. Jason needs to be rebuilding his confidence, not trying to swim upstream in unsuitable armor. Make necessary changes now and don't try to go with the flow just to get along. The fp music does not work at all IMHO. I recall when AdaRipp realized that his fp selection was not working in 2016-2017, and he made a change without beating about the bush hemming and hawing.

Everyone who were always on edge wanting to see Jason work with a choreographer other than Rohene, oh well. :blah: This first foray with David Wilson is a bust IMHO. It just doesn't work. How ironic that for copyright reasons, the first bland cuts are completely silenced on Youtube! :duh: Sounds of Silence indeed! Hearing the sound on AC website actually makes watching Jason lost and going through the motions that much worse. He still has those great spins, stellar skating and wonderful instincts, but he's lacking full confidence and conviction here...

I mean compare the difference between Jason's bland fp and Kevin Aymoz's conviction and emotion as he expresses his more interesting and mesmerizing fp music (I'm caught up in the emotion, despite Aymoz' raw and less polished skating skills, but he has a quad in his arsenal): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6u61vv?playlist=x6143x

Aymoz was 8th in the sp, pulled up to 3rd in the fp and placed 5th overall. While Jason was 3rd in the sp, 5th in the fp and 4th overall. Romsky was 4th in both segments, edging Jason for third and podium bronze.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
[Tracy] Wilson, though, said they are just getting started.
“Let’s face it, he is a brilliant skater and he’s gotten close to the top of the world,” Wilson said of Brown, who was fourth in the world in 2015. “It’s a fine line trying to find room for improvement, and so that’s what we are trying to do. We are throwing a lot at him. We’re going to pull back a little.”
“What he brings, though, cannot be ignored,” she added. “My husband can be in the rink and know nothing about skating, and be mesmerized by what Jason does. He could teach clinics for every step sequence and position details. He is integral to what the sport needs.”

Okay then, thanks Tracy. Please, please pull back a lot and ditch this 'not working for Jason' fp then. :drama:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information