Can't Help Falling In Love ... with Hubbell & Donohue (fan thread #2)

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Interesting.
They did indicate in a previous interview that they didn't want to make any music announcements and just reveal it at U.S. Classics so I was very surprised when it suddenly was up like that.

lauravvv

Their bio no longer shows this season's music choices?
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013466.htm
That is making it even more intringing.
Interesting.
They did indicate in a previous interview that they didn't want to make any music announcements and just reveal it at U.S. Classics so I was very surprised when it suddenly was up like that.
Someone on Golden Skate wrote that they were not the only ones whose music choices for this season had disappeared from the ISU site, but some of them have been renewed, while H/D's are not. So I don't know what to think anymore, except that it does not seem like the music information was mixed with some other dance team.

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
If the music is indeed their choice, it's not necessarily a regression in style. The movie, and even the specific selections that were posted, has lots of different pieces to work with.

Take some time to listen to the music choices before railing on them. You can create a program that's about more than "young, innocent love" on the surface. Indeed, being about more than meets the eye is part of H/D's identities.

Plenty of mature skaters have done sophisticated programs to "Kissing You," for example:

Michelle Kwan exhibition, 1999
Weaver/Poje exhibition, 2015

Bigbird

If the music is indeed their choice, it's not necessarily a regression in style. The movie, and even the specific selections that were posted, has lots of different pieces to work with.

Take some time to listen to the music choices before railing on them. You can create a program that's about more than "young, innocent love" on the surface. Indeed, being about more than meets the eye is part of H/D's identities.

Plenty of mature skaters have done sophisticated programs to "Kissing You," for example:

Michelle Kwan exhibition, 1999
Weaver/Poje exhibition, 2015

For my money, the best exhibition using the R&J theme is still Klimova and Ponamarenko. A classic. That might be my only reservation about this choice for H/D. If you're going to do R&J go big or go home. I'm still completely fascinated by what A/P did with the theme years ago. :)
K/P
A/P
Memories.

blancanieves

For my money, the best exhibition using the R&J theme is still Klimova and Ponamarenko. A classic. That might be my only reservation about this choice for H/D. If you're going to do R&J go big or go home. I'm still completely fascinated by what A/P did with the theme years ago. :)
K/P
A/P
Memories.

In the past H/D have chosen music from a movie soundtrack without making a literal allusion to the story of said movie in their program.

They didn't act out a video game when they used "Tron," or followed the familiar narrative of "The Great Gatsby" for that FD either. I don't know what they've decided to create this year, but at least there's evidence to suggest they could once again be doing an original interpretation with the material they've picked.

RoseRed

In the past H/D have chosen music from a movie soundtrack without making a literal allusion to the story of said movie in their program.

They didn't act out a video game when they used "Tron," or followed the familiar narrative of "The Great Gatsby" for that FD either. I don't know what they've decided to create this year, but at least there's evidence to suggest they could once again be doing an original interpretation with the material they've picked.
That would probably be a better fit that trying to play the characters - they have a maturity that doesn't fit Romeo and Juliet.

levineismine

The music choice was underwhelming for me too as I wish they had moved away from the romantic theme.
But I have seen bits of the program and what I can say is have faith in Madi and Zach's decision, the choreography is pretty cool ;)
Also their tango pattern looks fantastic.
Only a few more weeks until U.S. Classics!

jmtfti

If anyone else noticed previously, Carreira/Ponomarenko and Manta/Johnson's bios were updated at the same time as H/D's -- and they've also been rolled back. I also noticed at the time that none of the other US bios for US Classic seemed to have been updated. So the question wouldn't be any doubt around H/D's music post-Champs Camp, but rather that someone at the ISU website just accidentally updated that batch of pages along with that week's wave of JGP updates.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
K/P
A/P
Memories.

Such artistic and creative programs. Both of them. And I was watching figure skating then. Although I wasn't into dance as much is the other disciplines.

Man now that I rewatch programs like this I see how IJS has destroyed creativity and artistry in the sport.

Question – I cannot remember are twizzles relatively a new element? Neither of those programs had anything close to Twizzles

blancanieves

Ice talk episode is up here (their interview starts around 25:30): Madi and Zach

So they'll play Romeo and Juliet after all. I'm intrigued!

I smiled when Zach called their FD music "classic." Makes sense for someone born in the nineties to have the DiCaprio movie as a main R&J reference. For me, the immediate association would be the Zeffirelli movie or the Prokofiev ballet. The generation gap is real, lol.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Nice interview, they're always so open about their process. I laughed when she described how they didn't like each other at the beginning, very candid. I'm not sold on that music for them even though I used to listen to this soundtrack constantly when I was younger. Probably because I associate it with my own teenage years and for me Madi and Zach project such a mature image. Had they chosen a classical version like Prokofiev, it would have looked more grown up but this movie is the epitome of teen angst. As a result, they're right to say it is a challenge for them so it should be interesting. This interview definitely got me intrigued. Good luck to them this weekend, I'm sure they'll crush it.

semogal

Really enjoyed Madison and Zach's performance today in Salt Lake. They just sizzled through it! But I got to admit this is NOT going to be my favorite SD theme, excuse me, RD theme. (And I love that NBC Gold started the on demand replay as soon as the event ended instead of making us wait until tomorrow to view it).

Skittl1321

Gosh, I just love them so much. Is Madison's Mom still doing her costumes, because the FD dress is stunning.

Their FD makes me feel so old... the music just triggers that high schooler who was totally obessed with R&J. LOL

The ONLY thing I didn't absolutely love about the program was the twizzles. I just usually get such a sense of excitement in twizzle sequences, and the music then just didn't do anything to highlight the element.

And I love knee slidey moves, but I hate ice on the knees afterwards- so I'm torn on the effectiveness of those.

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
I don't love the first music cut. It just feels out of place - for me it doesn't relate to the rest of the program. But maybe it's the voiceover (I hate voiceovers). Do I dare hope they'll nix that at least?

It's a lovely program. I do still wish they'd chosen other music (I think they're beyond this music at this point), but they skated beautifully. It's just not going to be my favorite program of theirs, even though I do expect it to grow on me.

I actually really liked their RD. I think it's going to stand out well this season. They lacked a little bit of sharpness in it yesterday IMO, but a really solid start to the season.

Last edited:

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Everything H&D have done since moving to Team Montreal has been so fresh and modern. Their programs this season are so not. :yawn: I wish their FD didn’t feel so dated. It’s a program anyone could skate to, and doesn’t feel uniquely them. No one else could have skated their last two FDs, and I wish I felt that way right now.

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
Yeah, I feel it's an odd choice to follow up with from last season's FD. That was special right away - and I don't think any of their competitors could have skated it. Right now, this doesn't suit them IMO.

levineismine

I find the choreography is still very cool and modern and them. But the music itself and the theme, I am not sure about. I personally would have gone in another direction. Let's see how it develops - technically it was still a good start of the season!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information