Victoria Sinitsina: In America I learned to stand up for myself. Marina, Diet, Tough-girl.

angi

I often wonder if many of the readers have ever even been to a gym, much less played a sport competitively. This weight thing is pretty common.
I go to the gym at least 3 times a week and I have been part of competitive sport. Sinitsina's methods are not common thank god. Most athletes don't do body wraps or go running wearing tons of layers in order to lose weight and do not eat as little as she described. The coaches also don't force them to check their weight every day (and publicly, which of course is in order to shame them if "necessary") and refuse to allow them to train if they happen to be above their expected weight.
Her entire approach to her nutrition is troubling. Dieting does not equal eating very little in order to lose weight. For athletes it should mean maintaining a healthy and balanced (and yes also strict) diet that was usually fitted specifically for them and their needs. It's not easy to follow it but it is the healthiest and most effective way for the athlete to keep their weight balanced.
The fact that several people here keep saying that this is normal and common is 100% part of the problem. It also doesn't necessarily matter if this is done to female skaters or male as well. It's destructive to the skater health and have long term effects that they suffer from years later. And it's also not effective, some of the most successful skaters in recent years are also some of the most athletically built athletes in years. It's true to ice dance (Virtue, Hubbel, Fournier Beaudry, etc), in pairs (Duhamel, Savchenko, etc) and yes even ladies (Kostner, Osmond, etc). And have anyone considered if the high amount of injuries that plague Eteri's skaters are also part of them perhaps suffering from malnutrition? It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if that's the case to be honest.

The Accordion

I don't think anyone thinks that you can be an elite skater and not be in excellent shape and not have a strict plan for eating. I also don't think anyone would argue that a person who is lean will jump higher, spin faster, and be easier to lift than someone who is carrying extra fat. Yes being in top shape is absolutely part of the job. Even those already in incredible shape can benefit from getting a bit more strict and a bit leaner at certain times of the season or may want to exercise differently to change their line, depending on their muscle structure.

However, there is extremism and there is also a mental side of it that I think is not healthy. So many of the skaters are ALREADY in excellent shape - but their bodies aren't aesthetically what others' are. For instance Patrick Chan made comments about not being as small as others. I think that got in his head (among other things) and ended up being a mental block. In the interview in this thread - her talking about weighing herself 4 times a day. That is not healthy or helpful. Dance and pair partners are sometimes expected to be rail thin to make lifts easier - when it can actually endanger their health.

I get it - it's physics. But we aren't talking someone who eats Mcdonalds daily vs an elite athlete. We are talking elite athletes who are built differently than others or girls going though puberty trying to go against nature, potentially doing long term damage to themselves to hit that certain weight, to have that certain aesthetic.

In addition, whenever people start suggesting - the thinner the better, it makes me wonder why it was that Tonya Harding and Midori Ito were the first women to land triple axels in competition. They were fit - but I know there are people today who would call similarly-built skaters "skater fat".

MacMadame

Doing all the things
All this talk / speculating on the challenges of moving and the changes with US food but whatever was going on - it still doesn't make daily weigh ins OK or healthy or helpful. Especially when it turned into 4 times a day weigh ins.
I don't think daily weigh-ins are okay but to be clear it wasn't Marina who was weighing Victoria multiple times a day. She was doing that to herself.

I'm glad she realized it was crazy and cut it out.

It's a treatment that is offered in beauty spas, and seems it is not illegal..
Just because it's not illegal, doesn't mean it is effective. Or smart.

People pay for all sorts of "treatments" at spas that are just a waste of money. This is a good example.

Tinami Amori

Just because it's not illegal, doesn't mean it is effective. Or smart.
People pay for all sorts of "treatments" at spas that are just a waste of money. This is a good example.

I don't believe there was a claim that it is effective. The link to treatment is in reply to a posters' surprise that such method is used.

And have anyone considered if the high amount of injuries that plague Eteri's skaters are also part of them perhaps suffering from malnutrition? It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if that's the case to be honest.
Sorry you feel jealous that Eteri's girls are beating your favorites, but the injuries at Sambo-70 group are not higher than at any other rink. None of the girls who transferred from Eteri this year are mentioning malnutrition, and Lipnitskaya's problems started after she left the group.

All skaters, especially female skaters have various degrees of concern about weight. Here are Sotskova's comments, while she is with Buyanova, and where some of Eteri's girl are now.... :D

Elena Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Maria Sotskova
Sotskova: As for our relationship outside the ice we discuss completely different things, not related to figure skating. Or sometimes we (me and Polina T) talk about the problems we both have. Like gaining weight and having to go down.
EV: How do you solve that problem?
MS: I close the fridge. And the mouth. It's not a big deal for me. There was a time when I was hungry all the time. Guess it's the puberty that everyone is talking about. When you think of the food all the time and keep telling yourself `No, you can't, don't touch the food'.
MS: When I was little I ate a lot and it didn't have any effect. I used to think all these talks about the food are nonsense. But then I learned that `nonsense' can do evil things to the athletes. That there are no `nonsense' in the sports. You gain 1kg and your legs have to work harder to push you on the ice, the chance to be injured is higher. Hence I try to keep my weight within a certain margin and not go over. The only question is the priorities: either you eat as much as you like or you want to skate and have to limit yourself.

kittyjake5

I don't think anyone thinks that you can be an elite skater and not be in excellent shape and not have a strict plan for eating. I also don't think anyone would argue that a person who is lean will jump higher, spin faster, and be easier to lift than someone who is carrying extra fat. Yes being in top shape is absolutely part of the job. Even those already in incredible shape can benefit from getting a bit more strict and a bit leaner at certain times of the season or may want to exercise differently to change their line, depending on their muscle structure.

However, there is extremism and there is also a mental side of it that I think is not healthy. So many of the skaters are ALREADY in excellent shape - but their bodies aren't aesthetically what others' are. For instance Patrick Chan made comments about not being as small as others. I think that got in his head (among other things) and ended up being a mental block. In the interview in this thread - her talking about weighing herself 4 times a day. That is not healthy or helpful. Dance and pair partners are sometimes expected to be rail thin to make lifts easier - when it can actually endanger their health.

I get it - it's physics. But we aren't talking someone who eats Mcdonalds daily vs an elite athlete. We are talking elite athletes who are built differently than others or girls going though puberty trying to go against nature, potentially doing long term damage to themselves to hit that certain weight, to have that certain aesthetic.

In addition, whenever people start suggesting - the thinner the better, it makes me wonder why it was that Tonya Harding and Midori Ito were the first women to land triple axels in competition. They were fit - but I know there are people today who would call similarly-built skaters "skater fat".
Thank you! I totally agree.

MrMystery

I go to the gym at least 3 times a week and I have been part of competitive sport. Sinitsina's methods are not common thank god. Most athletes don't do body wraps or go running wearing tons of layers in order to lose weight and do not eat as little as she described. The coaches also don't force them to check their weight every day (and publicly, which of course is in order to shame them if "necessary") and refuse to allow them to train if they happen to be above their expected weight.
Her entire approach to her nutrition is troubling. Dieting does not equal eating very little in order to lose weight. For athletes it should mean maintaining a healthy and balanced (and yes also strict) diet that was usually fitted specifically for them and their needs. It's not easy to follow it but it is the healthiest and most effective way for the athlete to keep their weight balanced.
The fact that several people here keep saying that this is normal and common is 100% part of the problem. It also doesn't necessarily matter if this is done to female skaters or male as well. It's destructive to the skater health and have long term effects that they suffer from years later. And it's also not effective, some of the most successful skaters in recent years are also some of the most athletically built athletes in years. It's true to ice dance (Virtue, Hubbel, Fournier Beaudry, etc), in pairs (Duhamel, Savchenko, etc) and yes even ladies (Kostner, Osmond, etc). And have anyone considered if the high amount of injuries that plague Eteri's skaters are also part of them perhaps suffering from malnutrition? It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if that's the case to be honest.

I'm not sure what competitive sport you've been part of, but unfortunately many of these methods are very common in figure skating and other sports. I certainly do not mean to indicate it's GOOD or should be NORMAL, but I think it's a reality of the sport.

hanca

Values her privacy
She has a way out, it's the door that is leading out of the rink which is unlocked, and a mobile-phone to call police and/or the many journalists she has contact with...... :D
Because Russia obviously has hundreds of seniors ice dance males of her level who are waiting in queue to skate with her! :rolleyes: It would mean end to her Olympic goal because even if she did find a partner, the chance he would be good enough to place in top two Russian ice dancers is nearly zero. I am sure she has done lots of sacrifices throughout her childhood, so I don’t blame her that she doesn’t want to throw it out of window.

Bigbird

Many years ago there was an expose on Russian TV on I/K. Elena was 16 at the time and in the throes of puberty. But nonetheless, Zhulin was quite annoyed and referred to her by her "ass" on National TV. On realizing that this was being taped he apologized. Looking at Ilinykh now it's clear to see that her genetics would never allow her to look like the current crop of Russian ice dancers without extreme and unhealthy dieting practices. Sinitsina, for better or for worse is just doing what is expected of her. What I find alarming is her lack of awareness of how unhealthy this really is and it is not a badge of honour to be discussed with pride, but rather something that reeks of desperation and fear. But as I always say, Russian ID is apparently an alternate universe.

angi

Sorry you feel jealous that Eteri's girls are beating your favorites, but the injuries at Sambo-70 group are not higher than at any other rink. None of the girls who transferred from Eteri this year are mentioning malnutrition, and Lipnitskaya's problems started after she left the group.
First, You have no idea who my favorites are but it's clear it's just your way to try and discredit the claim. However it does not change reality, in Eteri's group the skaters suffer from more serious injuries than in other clubs. Injuries are of course part of being an elite skater but the type of injuries the skaters there suffer from are the types that are more related to malnutrition.
Second, no way will Medvedeva or others will talk publicly against Eteri, it's like career suicide in Russia no matter how successful or popular they are. Eteri is basically a factory for skaters and as long as it continues the Russian federation will be by her side.
Third, Lipnitskaya was on powder diets as a teenager when she was with Eteri, her problems are very likely to have started there no matter how hard you will try to deny it.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Because Russia obviously has hundreds of seniors ice dance males of her level who are waiting in queue to skate with her! :rolleyes: It would mean end to her Olympic goal because even if she did find a partner, the chance he would be good enough to place in top two Russian ice dancers is nearly zero. I am sure she has done lots of sacrifices throughout her childhood, so I don’t blame her that she doesn’t want to throw it out of window.
Once there was only one Prince who wanted to marry, and he had only one glass slipper to fit his future bride. There were two evil step-sisters who wanted to marry him, but they had very large feet. So they had NOT choice but to cut off their toes.. :D

There is always a choice.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qdHE9-8spU

angi

:D which her OWN mother put her on..... :lol:
I know you like to quote Tutberidze claims that Liptniskaya's mom was put in charge of her nutrition. However the truth is very different and very easy to find. There are several articles* that explicitly state that Tutberidze "encouraged" her to go on powder diets which is absurd since when you are 15 and your coach encourage you to do something you'll do it:

"Tutberidze has said that Lipnitskaya has amazing willpower. “I have never seen anything like it,” said Tutberidze. “She can practically not eat anything. When she has to lose weight, all she eats is powdered nutrients, which give her energy. But she manages, thank God. She is intensely driven.”"

"Encouraged by her coach Eteri Tutberidze, Lipnitskaya would sometimes subsist on a diet consisting entirely of powdered nutrients."

"In 2014, Russian coach Eteri Tutberidze was proud to inform the press that Yulia Lipnitskaya, then her star pupil, sometimes existed almost entirely on a diet of “powdered nutrients.” At 15. While training for hours every day. "

So please stop spreading mis-information. Truth is Tutberidze is able to maximize the talent of her skaters and kudos to her for it but by all accounts her methods are unhealthy.

*Just to name few of the articles I found in a simple google search:

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/f...dark-side-figure-skating-180214121827556.html
https://aleteia.org/2017/12/29/a-troubling-trend-among-olympic-figure-skaters/
https://sochi2014.rbth.com/yulia_lipnitskaya_russias_golden_girl

Tinami Amori

I know you like to quote Tutberidze claims that Liptniskaya's mom was put in charge of her nutrition. However the truth is very different and very easy to find. There are several articles* that explicitly state that Tutberidze "encouraged" her to go on powder diets which is absurd since when you are 15 and your coach encourage you to do something you'll do it:

"Tutberidze has said that Lipnitskaya has amazing willpower. “I have never seen anything like it,” said Tutberidze. “She can practically not eat anything. When she has to lose weight, all she eats is powdered nutrients, which give her energy. But she manages, thank God. She is intensely driven.”"

So please stop spreading mis-information. Truth is Tutberidze is able to maximize the talent of her skaters and kudos to her for it but by all accounts her methods are unhealthy.

*Just to name few of the articles I found in a simple google search:

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/f...dark-side-figure-skating-180214121827556.html
https://aleteia.org/2017/12/29/a-troubling-trend-among-olympic-figure-skaters/
https://sochi2014.rbth.com/yulia_lipnitskaya_russias_golden_girl
Quoting aljazeera really is convincing..... :D

Tutberidze hired Julia's mother, as an assistant coach, with a full paid salary and travel privileges, specifically for the purpose of the Mother to take care of Julia's diet and other daily needs. It is a fact that it is the Mother who was in charge of Julia's diet. The fact that is proven not just by interviews, but by club's monthly PAYCHECKS to Mrs. Lipnitsky... :D

Lipnitskaya had a Stage Mother, and when she won the Team Gold, she placed the medal in front of her mother (there were people around to witness the exchange) and said to her with a smirk "so, is this what you wanted and made me struggle for?"

When Lipnitskaya moved to Sochi, she insisted that her mother does not come with her. Mother was not happy, but let her go. It's documented in the press. The diet issues became a problem while Julia was in Sochi, without the presence of Eteri or Mother. Julia was posting on IG her daily schedules and events, from Sochi and the breakfasts were sometimes just "half of an apple".. :D Julia was still going through body changes and made certain decisions how to cope with such.. without Mother or Eteri, under supervision of another coach..

angi

Quoting aljazeera really is convincing..... :D
It's a legitimate news source from a well established organization, how are you this ignorant....?

Tutberidze hired Julia's mother, as an assistant coach, with a full paid salary and travel privileges, specifically for the purpose of the Mother to take care of Julia's diet and other daily needs. It is a fact that it is the Mother who was in charge of Julia's diet. The fact that is proven not just by interviews, but by club's monthly PAYCHECKS to Mrs. Lipnitsky... :D
I brought 3 articles that prove my claims, you just keep writing the same things thread after thread with no proof or source. There's no reason to believe a word you write.

Tinami Amori

It's a legitimate news source from a well established organization, how are you this ignorant....?
... of course, aljazeera are experts on figure skating..... :D

I brought 3 articles that prove my claims, you just keep writing the same things thread after thread with no proof or source. There's no reason to believe a word you write.
If i had time, i'd bring you 30 that prove differently, but it will take too long to search the archives for the ones i've posted already since 2015.. :lol:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Aljazeera is a fully staffed network with sports and feature reporters. I’ve dealt with them professionally many times and except for their Middle East political coverage, they’re as unbiased as any other network. Certainly more respectable than RT.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Is it considered acceptable in FSU to be both ignorant and racist? Just wondering.

Depends what you mean by acceptable. ;)

By the way, I’ve appeared on networks including Aljazeera, RT, Fox, Arutz 7 (the Israeli settler channel), Pacifica, France 24, German TV-I-forget-the-initials, BBC and many more, including mainstream American. I’m saying that professionally it’s my job to determine whether a network is run professionally enough to be worth the time, even if ideologically they’re not a fit. Most DC public affairs people agree that AJ is a legitimate network. Unlike, again, RT.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Let's just say I'm used to people getting blocked for less :) (as they should be when they think it's legitimate to express this kind of views and be proud of them. It's a slippery slope.)

Tinami is....in my opinion....an idiosyncratic poster who likes to challenge the generally liberal slant here. A lot. But on skating (and jewelry, travel and home decor) she’s got a lot of interesting things to say. If you visit PI you’ll find some out-there opinions on lots of things.

I only intervened here because I know a lot about news media. And not much about eating disorders or Russian gossip about Russian skaters. So back I go to reading.

Tinami Amori

Tinami is....in my opinion....an idiosyncratic poster who likes to challenge the generally liberal slant here. A lot. But on skating (and jewelry, travel and home decor) she’s got a lot of interesting things to say. If you visit PI you’ll find some out-there opinions on lots of things.

I only intervened here because I know a lot about news media. And not much about eating disorders or Russian gossip about Russian skaters. So back I go to reading.
I have a free biographer!....:cheer2:

quartz

scratching at the light

Don’t forget @Tinami Amori ’s love and advocacy for all our animal friends!

Japanfan

Muslim is not a race.... :D

That depends on how the word 'race' is understood. The whole concept of 'race' has been debunked to a certain extent because there are not enough differences between different groups/categories of people to warrant the view that there are multiple races. There is just one, the human race.

However, 'religionism' is not a word in English and the term 'racism' remains largely accepted to denote prejudice, discrimination, bias and oppression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information