Two of China's 2018 figure skating events will be moved: JGP #4 now in Vancouver; Grand Prix to Finland (confirmed)

MAXSwagg

At least attendance couldn't possibly be any worse in Korea compared to China. A new host every once in a while keeps this fresh.

In that case France and Skate America need to be moved because their attendances are similar if not worse than China...

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
JGPs have a really small attendance- I would assume it would be in a smaller more local arena.

Well, this *is* the location that thinks it's fine to hold Canadians and the GPF in an arena more suited to a JGP-size event ;)

SamuraiK

At least attendance couldn't possibly be any worse in Korea compared to China. A new host every once in a while keeps this fresh.

:huh: COC attendances are decent. Definetly way better than France and I would say they have surpassed Skate America for the last couple of years too.

MAXSwagg

Weren’t two figure skating judges investigated from PC? Yet Lorrie Parker US judge was not for her outrageous and clearly biased antics in the men’s free skating (which she had a history of at other events for and against the same skaters).

And short track calls were very shady. I’ve watched for 15 years, in person, on television, etc., and the calls were very questionable...

cygnus

Well, this *is* the location that thinks it's fine to hold Canadians and the GPF in an arena more suited to a JGP-size event ;)

Have you been to a JPG? I've been to 2- Colorado Springs and Montreal. I would be surprised if there were more than 500 people in the audience at either one of them at the peak (mostly family and other skaters). And many of the European ones are even smaller-apparently one in Croatia(?- or somewhere in the general area) actively discouraged audience attendance, according to a poster here who attended. And at least the Thunderbird arena has a reasonable number of washroom stalls- in Milan there were 8 women's toilets for the entire public area of the arena (and that was a Worlds).

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I would love to see it in Richmond, in what was originally built for Long Track Speed Skating in the Vancouver Olympics:
http://richmondoval.ca/facility/ice-courts-track/

Ice Zone
Two Olympic-sized ice rinks with an adaptive board system will make it possible to transform the ice into multiple configurations including: international or North American hockey, figure skating, short track speed skating, sledge hockey or a “Big Ice Concept.” The Big Ice will facilitate hosting community skating events as well as skill development programs aimed at making hockey players, figure skaters and short trackers better skaters.

binbinwinwin

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/winter/2018-06-13/doc-ihcwpcmq4485239.shtml

Official statement is that they have a timeline for preparations and they are remodeling all the venues so they thought that hosting this year would not be possible. They said they informed ISU after a lot of careful thinking and that ISU has given them their understanding and support. They also said that from feedback they have received for hosting competitions, taking a year off will allow them to raise their standards and improve their competitions for the future in preparation for Olympics.

kittyjake5

So it had nothing to do with China being p****** off. Speculation and rumors tend to be untrue...

Sylvia

TBD
Here's the English version of @binbinwinwin's article link: http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-06/13/c_137251769.htm
"There are two reasons for our quitting hosting events temporarily," a source with the CSA said. "First of all, every national team in ice sports needs to 'go out' more and better integrate themselves into international training and competition systems," the source said.
"Secondly, the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics is coming up. A lot of venues will be renovated and cannot be used to host events in the planned time. We tried our best but can't make it in the end," the source added.

VGThuy

So the official words sounds like a lot of the resources will go going towards preparing for Beijing 2022 and it's even affecting the various winter sports feds' abilities to host events outside of Beijing for at least this season.

jiejie

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/winter/2018-06-13/doc-ihcwpcmq4485239.shtml

Official statement is that they have a timeline for preparations and they are remodeling all the venues so they thought that hosting this year would not be possible. They said they informed ISU after a lot of careful thinking and that ISU has given them their understanding and support. They also said that from feedback they have received for hosting competitions, taking a year off will allow them to raise their standards and improve their competitions for the future in preparation for Olympics.

I don't take the official statement at face value. When the Beijing facilities were taken off-line in 2006 for the runup to the 2008 Olympics (and the main skating facility there needed a complete structural rework, not just minor changes that are needed now), China's GP's were held in Nanjing and Harbin. Since then, Shanghai has also hosted. There are also other cities that could host. So using lack of available physical facilities in China isn't a plausible excuse. This has got to be something political, either China vs the ISU or something internal inside China with the Skating Federation. I'm normally not big on conspiracy theories but it is possible that @forthewin is correct on the underlying reasons. And the timing of conveying the decision to the ISU would support a retaliation for something that happened earlier in 2018.

VGThuy

I don't take the official statement at face value. When the Beijing facilities were taken off-line in 2006 for the runup to the 2008 Olympics (and the main skating facility there needed a complete structural rework, not just minor changes that are needed now), China's GP's were held in Nanjing and Harbin. Since then, Shanghai has also hosted. There are also other cities that could host. So using lack of available physical facilities in China isn't a plausible excuse. This has got to be something political, either China vs the ISU or something internal inside China with the Skating Federation. I'm normally not big on conspiracy theories but it is possible that @forthewin is correct on the underlying reasons. And the timing of conveying the decision to the ISU would support a retaliation for something that happened earlier in 2018.

I was also a little confused why an event like Shanghai Trophy would be cancelled, but then maybe since it's the Winter Olympics they are preparing for, there's some major things going on that the winter sports feds are dealing with in the lead up to 2022.

binbinwinwin

I have some doubts too but since there is a blurb in the original Chinese statement that after informing them, ISU said they understand, it seems like whatever the issue is, it is being dealt with privately right now.

Dobre

If China's sports funding is centralized and/or under government control; then re-prioritizing money to go one place would affect money going to another place. Also true if money is centralized under a single sports Federation, etc. I don't find it that startling that funds would be taken from other sports-related activities in order to fund the Winter Olympics. (China won that bid by saying they would build a new high-speed train, import snow, etc. All sounds very expensive). I do find it startling that they would cancel events so late in the game rather than--say--declining to host Cup of China next season.

Carolla5501

Umm.... If this is a protest it's rather ineffective IMHO. You just sent the cash etc... someplace else.

Unfortunately I assume Canada will put the JGP in the "rodent" arena in Vancouver and my fear of rodents is too great for me to riks that.

Last edited:

jiejie

It's possible the underlying reason is economic and that there is some sort of trouble between the Chinese Skating Federation and Chinese sponsors--the cost of the GP is primarily borne by corporate sponsorship.

Korea is an interesting idea that could work as an alternative. When Yuna Kim was actively competing seniors, for a number of years, Samsung (a Korean company) was the premier, named sponsor of Cup of China (Samsung Anycall Cup of China). You'd think there would be room among major Korean companies to step up and give sponsorship a try, though with only 5 months to go, it's pretty short notice. Maybe this is a prelude to permanently moving the CoC?

forthewin

Money is never the issue. China has put 900 billion rmb in hold for the 2022 Olympics. 900 billion, if you have a idea, definitely cover all the cost from now on until 2022.

VGThuy

But how much of that goes to the Chinese skating federation and would last all four years for events outside of the Olympics. I'm seriously asking.

Meoima

My friends following all the talk on Weibo and Baidu said this is a protest. They are having some negotiation.

crzesk8dad

Where am I? How do I get off? Do I get ice cream?
I'm shocked that no one has figured out that this was a result of the G7 and Singapore summit. :biggrinbo

Japanfan

Unfortunately I assume Canada will put the JGP in the "rodent" arena in Vancouver and my fear of rodents is too great for me to riks that.

Much ado about nothing.

IIRC Ben made only one appearance during Canadian Nationals, during practice. I could be wrong and Ben and buddies might have made a few appearances.

But there were rats seen during the actual event. I was there.

Also, I wouldn't assume that the JPG will be held in that arena.

ross_hy

Attendance is usually better than France or Skate America.
In that case France and Skate America need to be moved because their attendances are similar if not worse than China...
:huh: COC attendances are decent. Definetly way better than France and I would say they have surpassed Skate America for the last couple of years too.

I stand corrected. At least maybe Korea can find a way to lift the total.

Erin

Banned Member

Highly unlikely. As others have posted in the thread, JGP events are held in much smaller arenas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information