Two of China's 2018 figure skating events will be moved: JGP #4 now in Vancouver; Grand Prix to Finland (confirmed)

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
How does Asia get a lot of events? They only just received a challenger this season. Many of the challengers and other competitions are all in Europe, which is difficult for skaters to travel to get world ranking points, TES minimums and SB scores for GPs assignments next season.

I really hope Korea can somehow find the means to host this GP. After the Olympic this would be good for inspiring and encouraging their skaters. Also SK would keep it proportional with 2 GPs in each major fs continent.

It seems like they have everything now. It seems like every 4CC is there and 3 Olys in a row, Junior Grand Prix, etc.

Cant Finland, or Spain or something else get it for a one-time shot? Korea is gonna have pleeennntttyyy of opportunities.

I miss Nations Cup!!! :hat1::hat1:

SamuraiK

Having 3 host spots for ladies would not be a bad deal for Korea. Eun Soo Lim and Ye Lim Kim are age eligible for seniors this year.

Jun-Hwa, June-Hyoung and Jin-Seo for the men would also be a good opportunity. And in dance there would be 2 open spots for the other nations.

forthewin

BTW, you are incorrect. Might help to actually check your facts first before you post things that are wrong.
Plz insight us with facts. At least all the controversial matches the referees are all westerners. And I doubt you even watched the short track speed skating. So help us with your invaluable opinions.

clairecloutier

A GP in Korea would be a huge plus for the Korean senior skaters. Looking at the lists, I believe only Da Bin Choi is currently guaranteed 1 GP. Min/Gamelin and Jun Hwan Cha are not guaranteed any GP slots. So this would be a chance for M/G, Cha, and also Kim/Kam (if they're still together) to get GP slots that they might not otherwise receive, and in their home country too. Plus, as @oleada noted, Lim and Kim could make their senior GP debuts.

Those negatively affected would include Sui/Han, Boyang Jin, Wang/Liu, and probably Yu/Zhang, Wang/Wang, and/or Li/Xie. Sui/Han would lose their home GP. They are not guaranteed 2 events, but would almost certainly get 2 anyway, just not on home ground. Jin would be in the same situation. Yu/Zhang, who probably would have been assigned to CoC, will still have 2 assignments but not on home ground. Wang/Wang and/or Li/Xie will likely lose their only opportunity for a GP slot (which they normally would have gotten with the CoC host picks). And Wang/Liu in dance will still have 1 slot but not on home turf (and with probably less possibility now for a 2nd slot).

Rob

Beach Bum
Ugh, I was hoping it was something simple like China is renovating all of its arenas for 2022 so it can't host now.

binbinwinwin

It seems like they have everything now. It seems like every 4CC is there and 3 Olys in a row, Junior Grand Prix, etc.

Cant Finland, or Spain or something else get it for a one-time shot? Korea is gonna have pleeennntttyyy of opportunities.

I miss Nations Cup!!! :hat1::hat1:

It's up to the country to bid for 4CC which NA did not until now. Olympics is up to host countries to bid for too because its a huge event with so much money and logistics involved. Most JGPs are held in Europe too.

Its not a bad thing to have competitions in Asia, people always talk about dont go to Canada or Russia or else you get underscored but nobody really says that about Asia. In fact Japan and SK have some of the least dramatic nationals.

RoseRed

How do these changes impact host invitations? I don't have a copy of last year's JGP announcement, but the last one I have says that the organizing member can assign up to three each of Ladies, Men, and Dance, and an unlimited number of Pairs, and, according to their qualifying criteria, Canada would be allowed 1 each in all events (7) in Men, Dance, and Pairs, and 1 each in 5 events in Ladies. (I'm not sure how many age-eligible Canadian Jr. Pairs there are after the dust has settled.) Are the organizing spots included in the events list, ie, would a Ladies spot in Vancouver count as one of the 5?

I'm not sure how many age-eligible Canadian Jr. Pairs there are after the dust has settle or if Canada would even use all of its non-organizer spots, but it would be a good, early-season head-to-head competition for their juniors.

If Korea hosts GP and gets the host spots, depending on the Fed select order, they could absorb any of the qualified Chinese skaters available, under the most recent rules, they wouldn't be able to assign new Pair Li/Xie, who have no qualifications for GP outside of a same-country host pick.

If this is a war between the ISU and the Chinese Fed, while the IOC is in charge of the Olympics, would the ISU take away the Grand Prix permanently from China? I've long been hoping for a rotating Grand Prix, to distribute the burden and the selection spoils.
I'm not sure where you're getting these numbers?

At Junior Worlds 2018, Canada qualified full JGP spots for Men, Dance and Pairs, which means 14 for men and dance and 12 for pairs. They got 5 spots for ladies.

The 2017-18 JGP announcement says:
Organizing ISU Member: The Organizing ISU Member may enter in its event up to three (3) Men and three (3) Ladies.

So that would mean an extra men's spot and at least 2 extra ladies spots for Canada.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
It's up to the country to bid for 4CC which NA did not until now. Olympics is up to host countries to bid for too because its a huge event with so much money and logistics involved. Most JGPs are held in Europe too.

Its not a bad thing to have competitions in Asia, people always talk about dont go to Canada or Russia or else you get underscored but nobody really says that about Asia. In fact Japan and SK have some of the least dramatic nationals.

Its a good thing that they are anywhere! :)

I would just like to see something kinda unexpected like Scandinavia or the Mediterranean get a one-time shot. Wondering if Spain will grow the sport after Javi's accomplishments. When you think of figure skating Spain doesn't come to mind, but was cool to see it get the GPF

Dobre

Ugh, I was hoping it was something simple like China is renovating all of its arenas for 2022 so it can't host now.

We don't know that it isn't simply a matter of reallocating funds for Beijing. (Currently, there is only one poster saying anything else, and while his/her theory could be valid, there's no corroboration there yet.) If reallocating funds is the case, sports outside the ISU will likely be impacted as well.

Korea makes perfect sense for a GP. IMO, Korea has made perfect sense for a while--willingly taking on 4CCs multiple times when it's obviously a tough sell and building a new arena for the Olympics. Developing its skating program to the point at which its athletes qualified without host allocations in three disciplines, and developing its ladies & men's disciplines to the point at which they have been earning multiple JGP spots in various events. Physically, Korea is very close to Japan and the Japanese audience. And close enough for Asian athletes to have two opportunities to compete on their own continent.

I'm sad for the Chinese skaters because it's obviously not the best support & set up they could have heading into Beijing. But if China is bowing out for this season, Korea is a very logical choice, and it is a great time for them to get in the senior game as many of their talented athletes are just starting out in seniors or are about to transition. Hope it is manageable financially, as it is always really tough to do something last minute.

Note: I think Min & Gamelin are ranked high enough that, with retirements, they are very likely to get a GP regardless. They could get two if Korea hosts a GP.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting and replying to @manhn's comment here:
I wonder if it will be in Vancouver or a suburb. I can't see a Jr GP at any of the arenas in the city proper.
Since Ted Barton is involved with JGP video commentary, I would not be surprised if Burnaby 8 Rinks (where BC Summer Skate is held) will be the JGP venue.

Attending a JGP in the Vancouver area sure sounds tempting. :)

Last edited:

forthewin

We don't know that it isn't simply a matter of reallocating funds for Beijing. (Currently, there is only one poster saying anything else, and while his/her theory could be valid, there's no corroboration there yet.) If reallocating funds is the case, sports outside the ISU will likely be impacted as well.

Korea makes perfect sense for a GP. IMO, Korea has made perfect sense for a while--willingly taking on 4CCs multiple times when it's obviously a tough sell and building a new arena for the Olympics. Developing its skating program to the point at which its athletes qualified without host allocations in three disciplines, and developing it's ladies & men's disciplines to the point at which they have been earning multiple JGP spots in various events. Physically, Korea is very close to Japan and the Japanese audience. And close enough for Asian athletes to have two opportunities to compete on their own continent.

I'm sad for the Chinese skaters because it's obviously not the best support & set up they could have heading into Beijing. But if China is bowing out for this season, Korea is a very logical choice, and it is a great time for them to get in the senior game as many of their talented athletes are just starting out in seniors or are about to transition. Hope it is manageable financially, as it is always really tough to do something last minute.

Note: I think Min & Gamelin are ranked high enough that, with retirements, they are very likely to get a GP regardless. They could get two if Korea hosts a GP.
Trust me, it's not about lack of funding. China has put 900 billion rmb in hold for 2022 Olympics. 900 billion! The cost of a few events is nothing.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I'm not sure where you're getting these numbers?

At Junior Worlds 2018, Canada qualified full JGP spots for Men, Dance and Pairs, which means 14 for men and dance and 12 for pairs. They got 5 spots for ladies.

The 2017-18 JGP announcement says:

So that would mean an extra men's spot and at least 2 extra ladies spots for Canada.
According to the 2017-2018 GP announcement, which I just found:

Men and Ladies:
  • 1 entry in 7 events: ISU Members placed four (4) to six (6) at the previous ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships are entitled to enter one (1) Skater in seven (7) events of the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating in the category concerned -- Joseph Phan was 4th in Sofia
  • 1 entry in 5 events: ISU Members with Skaters, who qualified for the Final Free Skating, but were not placed in the first ten (10) ISU Members of the previous ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships, may enter one (1) Skater in five (5) events of the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating in the category concerned.-- Aurora Cotop was 17th in Sofia
Only medallists earn 2 entries in 7 events

Dance:
  • 1 entry in 7 events: ISU Members placed four (4) to six (6) at the previous ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships are entitled to enter one (1) Skater in seven (7) events of the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating. Lajoie and Langha were 4th in Sofia
Only medallists earn 3 entries in 7 events.

Pairs -- I was mistaken in Pairs: those who qualified for the FS but didn't place Top 4 get 2 entries, not 1.
  • 2 entries in 4 events: ISU Members with Skaters, who qualified for the Final Free Skating, but were not placed in the first four (4) ISU Members of the previous ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships, may enter two (2) Pairs in all four (4) events of the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating hosting Pair Skating. Walsh and Michaud were 6th in Sofia.
I don't see the basis on which Canada earned the max spots for Men, Ladies, and Pairs.

My question still stands: does the hosting event count as one of the five events for Ladies earned by Cotop? Or does it count as one of the five, but with more entries?

SamuraiK

So we could win from KOR:
Men: Jun-Hwa, June-Hyuoung, Jin-Seo (none of them had a guaranteed event this season)
Ladies: Eunsoo, Ye-Lim and Ha-Nul (Dabin is already guaranteed an event)
Pairs : Kim & Kam + 2 open spots for other nations .
Dance: Min & Gamelin + 2 open spots for other nations.

And we would lose from CHN:
Men: Tangxu Li and He Zhang (Boyang will get his 2 spots no matter what)
Ladies: 3 host spots for unknown skaters.
Pairs: Wang/Wang and Li/Xie (the top 3 pairs will get their 2 spots in other events)
Dance: 2nd spot for Wang/Liu and 2 host spots for unknown teams.

Not a bad deal at all IMO.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
@kwanfan1818, Canada was the 3rd highest placing country in men and dance at Junior Worlds.
Now I understand. Not a good reading comprehension day.

But does anyone know if Vancouver counts as one of the five events for which Cotop qualified, but extra spots are added, or if hosting is an additional event?

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
But now two Chinese judges are being singled out. The slide shown last week during Disciplinary Commission report to Congress indicated "Chen" and "Huang" as the two cases pending who are the Chinese judges in Men and Pairs event at Olympics.
Why are they being singled out and what is their case about ?
No wonder China is pissed right now.
It's hard to believe this pisses China to the point they'd simply cancel 3 international competitions. The wording of the ISU mail is "China has informed the ISU that they are unable to host any ISU event". It's not the same as not wanting to.

Sylvia

TBD
China was also scheduled to host 2 ISU World Cups -- a Speeding Skating event Nov. 23-25, and a Short Track event Nov. 30-Dec. 2, 2018, and both those events are listed as location TBA now. The Synchro portion of the Shanghai Trophy, Sept 29-Oct. 1, 2018, has not yet been listed as cancelled on the ISU website but that may be just an oversight.

Catherine M

Now I understand. Not a good reading comprehension day.

But does anyone know if Vancouver counts as one of the five events for which Cotop qualified, but extra spots are added, or if hosting is an additional event?

No idea if it will be 7 or 8 spots for Canadian junior ladies. But by hosting, Skate Canada gets at least 2 more spots and that's better than the 5 they had before the move.

Skate Talker

I really would like to see Germany get it back..or perhaps something for Italy, Spain, or Finland.... something back in Europe besides France (and Please Felicia, no more plastic stars).
It certainly isn't just France - afaik Russia is still in Europe as far as figure skating goes....
The split has been 2 north america, 2 europe, and 2 asia.

Madhatter

Why are they being singled out and what is their case about ? It's hard to believe this pisses China to the point they'd simply cancel 3 international competitions. The wording of the ISU mail is "China has informed the ISU that they are unable to host any ISU event". It's not the same as not wanting to.

What were they supposed to say? " You ****ed with us so now **** off?" The diplomatic way to say "**** off" is " Oh sorry we can't."

hanca

Values her privacy
;
What were they supposed to say? " You ****ed with us so now **** off?" The diplomatic way to say "**** off" is " Oh sorry we can't."
yes, I canā€™t imagine they would admit that they donā€™t want to. The PC way to say it is that they canā€™t do it, not that they donā€™t want to.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Plz insight us with facts. At least all the controversial matches the referees are all westerners. And I doubt you even watched the short track speed skating. So help us with your invaluable opinions.

You said:

BTW I think the judges are all westerners at the Olympics.

Not that it matters, but I did watch the short track events at the Olympics. Your initial statement was incorrect. :)

Cross-posting and replying to @manhn's comment here:

Since Ted Barton is involved with JGP video commentary, I would not be surprised if Burnaby 8 Rinks (where BC Summer Skate is held) will be the JGP venue.

Attending a JGP in the Vancouver area sure sounds tempting. :)

I've never been to a JGP but isn't there typically some seating for spectators? Only one rink at 8-rinks has any real seating but it's very minimal. The Skate Canada rink has a few metal bleachers. I'd expect it to be at a rink the size of Bill Copeland just down the street (a 2,000ish seat arena).

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I've never been to a JGP but isn't there typically some seating for spectators? Only one rink at 8-rinks has any real seating but it's very minimal. The Skate Canada rink has a few metal bleachers. I'd expect it to be at a rink the size of Bill Copeland just down the street (a 2,000ish seat arena).

I would guess the Bill Copeland arena too, or the Pacific Coliseum - if the top section of seats is closed off, it can be around 8,000 seats for an event using the ice. There is also the Langley Events Centre which is reasonably close to the south end of the Port Mann Bridge - it's about the same size as the Everett arena which is hosting Skate America 2018.

cygnus

I would guess the Bill Copeland arena too, or the Pacific Coliseum - if the top section of seats is closed off, it can be around 8,000 seats for an event using the ice. There is also the Langley Events Centre which is reasonably close to the south end of the Port Mann Bridge - it's about the same size as the Everett arena which is hosting Skate America 2018.

JGPs have a really small attendance- I would assume it would be in a smaller more local arena.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information