Glamour Puss thread: Sephora, I wish I could quit you...

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
I liked the IT CC Cream but it didn't provide enough coverage for me, so I mixed it with Huda FauxFilter. But if you don't want full coverage, you might like it.

So. I'm trying to go without my wig. But my hair grew back white and gray and curly. The white and gray I can deal with. But I have no freaking idea what to do with the curls. The humidity hear today just caused it to frizz and I look like demented.

There's a lot of people that have had curly hair all their life that don't know what to do with curly hair :lol: IMO, curly hair is all about finding the right product. And lots and lots of moisture.

ETA: And quartz is totally correct about making peace with them.

Anemone

I run a wide-tooth comb throuh my curls while wet, and let them air dry as much as possible. I find I have more issues with frizz when I use a hair-dryer. In the winter i will use the hair dryer just enough to get them to drier than dripping wet.
While still damp, I scrunch in this: https://global.ulta.com/whipped-creme?productId=xlsImpprod4450537
For me, I find it keeps my curls under control and no frizz, while not making them stiff or sticky.
I would be a lot happier with my own curls if they were somewhat even! I have some parts of my hair that have so little curl they are just wavy, and other parts of my hair that are so curly they dry in ringlets. :rolleyes:

Jenny

From the Bloc
Might be partly an age thing - the older I get, the wavier/curlier my hair gets, so as has already been advised, I'm going with it.

If you have time to air dry your hair, this Bumble product has been great for me - just scrunch a little in to the ends when it's wet, and then once dry, no flyaways.

I've also been trying some of the Living Proof products, and have quite enjoyed the sample pack I got for damaged hair, that included this spray, which I used the same way as the Bumble product - scrunching into the ends when wet. I'm likely going to go for full size as the shampoo and conditioners were nice too.

(I like to mix up my hair products :))

quartz

scratching at the light
I am currently in discussion with my hair stylist - we are going to transition my hair to a little more silver (ash blonde) and a little less gold (honey blonde) but we are keeping the burgundy/purple lowlights.
I am also going to get several inches whacked off - about to my shoulders in the back, and then keep the front longer around my face - called an inverted bob.
And it will still be sorta wavy, sorta curly, sorta cowlicky, because it's going to be that way no matter what the length. :p

PrincessLeppard

be a lot happier with my own curls if they were somewhat even! I have some parts of my hair that have so little curl they are just wavy, and other parts of my hair that are so curly they dry in ringlets. :rolleyes:

This. And I have two sections in the front with no curl at all. And then my stupid bangs dry into teeny tiny little ringlets, so I have to straighten (attempt to straighten) them. I have a really nice product that keeps them curly, but you have to put it in while your hair is still soaking wet, and I can't remember to do that in the morning. :lol: So I will try some of your suggestions.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
My hair is naturally curly and I still can't figure out how to handle it. I finally went from long to just below chin-length, which has helped my curl. My stylist also undercuts it a bit at the back, which makes everything sit a little nicer.

Like @Jenny, I mix up my products too. The Bumble curl line is quite good, and I like the Kevin Murphy Killer Curls cream for scrunching.
My favourite products for my hair texture are DevaCurl. The whole line is fantastic.

personwhoishere

I have the opposite problem of the above posters. I can't get my hair to stay curled for anything. They fall out almost instantly. I've tried keeping them pinned/held in place until cooled, using product before and/or after, using different sized curling wands, curling different directions, nothing really stays.

PrincessLeppard

When my hair was straight, it was difficult to hold a curl as well. I had to use a freezing hairspray, which of course defeats the point of loose, flowing curls....

Oh, and none of you curly haired bints told me the nightmare awaiting me after I got caught in a downpour....

once_upon

Better off than 2020
OMG, you got caught in the downpour? :yikes:

My hair is stick straight and doesn't lie nicely, it sticks out all over and in different directions.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
hello Glamour puss gang,
I am here to share that my skin has never been this lovely and clear. I think last time it was this nice I was in my preteens. Mind you, I never had huge acne problems, but I always had 2-3 and always 5-6 marks from previous active breakouts. Now - Im clear of all active breakouts and my dark spots are fading quickly.
Good double cleansing (oil based balms & gentle creams/gels), combined with Foreo Luna, Glicolic acid toners, oils in the evening & must SPF during day.
How much foundation looks with skin like this.. Its unfair. Even funnier that I love not wearing foundation. I put some under eyes corrector as far as base products.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
When my hair was straight, it was difficult to hold a curl as well. I had to use a freezing hairspray, which of course defeats the point of loose, flowing curls....

Oh, and none of you curly haired bints told me the nightmare awaiting me after I got caught in a downpour....

I did SO. I’ve been bitching about my hair in humid or rainy weather for 55 years now!

My hair is unhappy in Jerusalem where it’s usually dry. It’s dried-out and doesn’t curl well. But I’m sure I’ll be muttering about the frizzlies the minute I’m back in the Swamp, AKA DC. (The only thing Trump got right was that description, I guess he has hair issues there too.)

skategal

Bunny mama
So I’ve been on a foundation hunt for awhile now.

I have been using Tarte Rainforest of the Sea which I find a bit too matte and also IT Cosmetics CC cream which I do really like but find a bit too dewy. :lol:

I picked up a sample of Sunday Riley’s Influencer Foundation last week and it is the WEIRDEST foundation I have ever used. :wall:

It claims to be longwearing and full coverage and good for all skin types and it is neither long-wearing nor full coverage and if your skin is oilier than slightly combo, it’s not a good fit for you. :duh:

It looks really beautiful applied to bare skin and lasts about 3-4 hours (max). :rolleyes:

It looks horrible worn over primers or with concealer over top so if your skin is perfect and you are going to a short event, this is the foundation for you. LOL!

Of course, I won’t be buying a full size. However, I did love the packaging and that it is fragrance-free.

But overall, a big disappointment. :(

My other news is that I’ve joined the Dr. Gross club. I picked up the exfoliating pads for sensitive skin and I like them so far. My skin is definitely softer and clearer. :encore:

I also picked up the Dr. Gross hydrating marine moisturizer which I like too but I am wondering if it is a bit too frangrancey for my skin. I'll hold off judgement on that one for a few more weeks or so....

What did everyone think of Meghan Markle's wedding makeup?

I liked that she looked natural and not overdone but I would have added a bit more of a nude lipstick or gloss in a deeper "my lips but better" colour.

quartz

scratching at the light
skategal, could you combine the "too matte" and the "too dewy" foundations and make it "just right"? The search for the right makeup often seems like a Goldielocks adventure! :D

I loved Megan's makeup, but for this occasion, I would have either gone for a stronger eye or a stronger lip, just for that extra little pop of WOW.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I studied her makeup carefully and thought she absolutely nailed the natural look. Just like the dress and the fern-y bouquet, she was clearly going for the anti-bling look. Which, if you’re an American commoner actress marrying into the British royal family, seems to be the smart way to go.

ETA: neither you nor I, @quartz would have been able to resist some silk or velvet or a snood or jeweled bodice or something that said, yay I get to be a princess, but Ms Meghan is clearly more self-disciplined.

skategal

Bunny mama
skategal, could you combine the "too matte" and the "too dewy" foundations and make it "just right"? :D

I may try that. :D

I haven't yet because the Tarte one is a dry-down liquid and the IT cosmetics is a cream so I wasn't sure about the consistency.

I have mixed other foundations with the IT cosmetics CC cream before and it did work well.

I did also spend some of my PC points for a new Urban Decay lipstick (Fuel 2.0) is a terracotta nude color and a Stila Shimmer and Glow eyeshadow (Grace) in a peachy shade.

I like both items but I wish I went a bit darker for the eyeshadow (Jezebel). :drama:

kimkom

I wanted to try a new foundation, so I bought NARS Natural Radiant Longwear Foundation. Has anyone used this before? It's coming out of the pump like water - it won't even stay on my fingers, it just runs off! Did I get a bad bottle, or is it supposed to be like that? :confused:

skategal

Bunny mama
I wanted to try a new foundation, so I bought NARS Natural Radiant Longwear Foundation. Has anyone used this before? It's coming out of the pump like water - it won't even stay on my fingers, it just runs off! Did I get a bad bottle, or is it supposed to be like that? :confused:

I've never tried it.

Have you tried shaking it before using?

I know with some foundations (especially liquid ones) that you need to do that.

Some foundations are formulated to be very liquid these days but yours sounds extreme.

I have a really liquid Tarte foundation that I use that comes with a dropper.

It does cover my skin and look nice but I do prefer a creamier formulation.

If it doesn't thicken up a bit after shaking the bottle, I would return it for a refund.

eta: this review says the formulation is thick and creamy, so I think you got a dud. :(

https://www.lianadesu.com/blog/nars-natural-radiant-foundation-review

Last edited:

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I really want the Urban Decay Beached palette but Sephora doesn't carry it. Apparently it's exclusive to Ulta.... and we don't have Ulta here. :wuzrobbed

Also, I recall lots of positive comments about the UD Vice lipsticks. Yes? Or am I misremembering?

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Also, I recall lots of positive comments about the UD Vice lipsticks. Yes? Or am I misremembering?
Lurve me some Vice! It’s one of the few mattes that slides on smooth.

skategal

Bunny mama
I really want the Urban Decay Beached palette but Sephora doesn't carry it. Apparently it's exclusive to Ulta.... and we don't have Ulta here. :wuzrobbed

I saw the UD Beached Pallette at my local Shoppers DrugMart.

Also check the Shoppers Beauty Boutique website because some products can be ordered online.

Yes Vice lipsticks are the bomb.

I prefer the cream formulation over the comfort matte ones though. But the comfort mattes are nice too just more drying on your lips.

Jenny

From the Bloc

Dammit you made me look and now I want one too.

In the end though, I'm trying to stop myself when it comes to Urban Decay. Their product is great, but it's palette after palette and you get all excited and before long Sephora is clearing them out, and in the end you end up using only a few colours regularly.

The palettes I'm going back to again and again right now are Charlotte Tilbury (fabulous nudes and neutrals - free shipping in Canada), this special edition from Kat Von D (for special effects - the quality is outstanding, and it's on sale now!), and during the last Sephora sale I picked up this from Pat McGrath (uber expensive, but unbelievable quality) so then I treated myself to this one for my birthday.

So, um, just as well I can't get that beach palette. :shuffle:

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I saw the UD Beached Pallette at my local Shoppers DrugMart.

Also check the Shoppers Beauty Boutique website because some products can be ordered online.

Yes Vice lipsticks are the bomb.

I prefer the cream formulation over the comfort matte ones though. But the comfort mattes are nice too just more drying on your lips.

:cheer: :cheer:
Thanks!

fan

ok all, i'm looking for the holy grail. I'm getting married in 10 days. i need a foundation that is sheer, mattifying, but looks dewy. any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information