Glamour Puss thread: Sephora, I wish I could quit you...

skategal

Bunny mama
I went to Sephora yesterday and didn't buy a thing. :encore:

Of course, I was doing research for the sale next weekend so understandable that I wouldn't purchase now. :shuffle: :rofl: :saint:

I was glad I went in person because there were a couple of things that I had in mind that I actually didn't like. The ABH Soft Glam eyeshadow palette was one of them.

It's nice but just too many shades that I won't wear or that I have similar in the ABH Mario palette so I am passing on it.

I also didn't like the ABH Amrehzy highlighter. Too dark for me and too glittery.

I did like the new NARS highlighters especially in Capri (pale pink). I may get it even though I don't need another highlighter..... :shuffle:

I also liked the new ABH bronzers. I just need to decide if I want the shade Rosewood or Rich Amber. I do need a new bronzer so badly.

My regular Lancôme one ran out and has been discontinued. :wall:

I have been using some minis I have on hand but they are all just meh.

And I fell in love with the new Lancôme Hypnose Stylo eyeshadow pens. They seriously don't budge at all once they dry down. I plan to get the shades bronze and patine.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I'm wondering if any of the regulars in this thread can recommend a replacement for the makeup remover wipes that I use and which apparently are no longer being made :wuzrobbed:

It's this brand
https://well.ca/products/prevens-paris-makeup-remover-wipes_11960.html
What I love about them (in addition to how well they work) is that the sheets are about half the size of most other brands, which is all that I need and which is great for taking along when I travel.

Does anyone know of similarly-sized wipes that I could buy instead?

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Former Dior Star users, have you found anything that gives the same dewy look?

You can still get Dior Star, just not at Sephora. I think I got my current one at Bloomingdales. But YSL is as good if not better, it just doesn’t last in your face quite as long.

skategal

Bunny mama
I'm wondering if any of the regulars in this thread can recommend a replacement for the makeup remover wipes that I use and which apparently are no longer being made :wuzrobbed:

It's this brand
https://well.ca/products/prevens-paris-makeup-remover-wipes_11960.html
What I love about them (in addition to how well they work) is that the sheets are about half the size of most other brands, which is all that I need and which is great for taking along when I travel.

Does anyone know of similarly-sized wipes that I could buy instead?

I have not used them myself, but the YES TO brand wipes are smaller sized and the YES TO Cucumbers one also comes in a smaller pack (15 wipes I think) for travel. I have seen these sold at Shoppers Drug Mart.

I think you can also find a travel size for the Neutrogena wipes at either Shoppers or Walmart. I don't know how big the wipe itself is of the Neutrogena brand.

I generally don't use wipes because I used waterproof eye makeup, but of the ones I have used, the one that I like best is the Ole Henricksson wipes sold at Sephora (they do an okay job of removing waterproof mascara.) They are also sold in a travel pack of 10. Warning...these are scented like orange creamsicle. Good if you like that scent but stay away if you don't.

oleada

Can anyone recommend a good brow product? I think that will give me an extra pop. I’ve been playing around with putting a bit of mascara on my brows and I like the way it looks. Nothing too dramatic - my brows aren’t sparse or thin and my hair is black and my skin a light olive. I just need a little bit. :p

skategal

Bunny mama
Can anyone recommend a good brow product? I think that will give me an extra pop. I’ve been playing around with putting a bit of mascara on my brows and I like the way it looks. Nothing too dramatic - my brows aren’t sparse or thin and my hair is black and my skin a light olive. I just need a little bit. :p

I have been using the Anastasia tinted brow gel for years and love it. It gives just enough oomph without looking overdone. I have full eyebrows and don't need much definition.

I use the shade graphite. Some of the shades run a bit reddish, but I think espresso might work for you.

https://www.sephora.com/product/tinted-brow-gel-P187202?skuId=829713&icid2=products grid:p187202

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I’m a big fan of Benefit Gimme Brow, very natural augmentation. The middle shade is probably right for you.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I’ve been doing drugstore browscaras with a bit of pencil where needed. My brows are sparse with some white mixed in. Currently using Cover Girl, but prefer the Maybelline.

oleada

I’m a big fan of Benefit Gimme Brow, very natural augmentation. The middle shade is probably right for you.

Thanks ladies! I tried the Anastasia brow gel, but none of the shades were right - my brows are pure black; none of their shades matched well enough to make it look subtle. I liked the Benefit better but the samples at Sephora were really dried out so I wasn't totally sure which shade to get :drama: I'll have to go back before the sale is over.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
I have not used them myself, but the YES TO brand wipes are smaller sized and the YES TO Cucumbers one also comes in a smaller pack (15 wipes I think) for travel. I have seen these sold at Shoppers Drug Mart.

I swear by the Neutrogena wipes, but I tried Yes To Cucumber because I want to go non-cruelty as much as possible with my makeup. Turns out that Yes To burned my eyes. I then tried some Burts Bees, which also burned my eyes.

RockTheTassel

Because my friend has Rouge status, I got to participate in the Sephora sale this weekend. :)

I was quite good about not overspending. I got two expensive but necessary replenishment items - Laura Mercier translucent loose setting powder and Urban Decay setting spray. My splurge item was the Maison Margiela Replica fragrance trio in Jazz Club, Beach Walk, and Lazy Sunday Morning. I love them so far, though the scents fade faster than I'd like.

skategal

Bunny mama
Thanks ladies! I tried the Anastasia brow gel, but none of the shades were right - my brows are pure black; none of their shades matched well enough to make it look subtle. I liked the Benefit better but the samples at Sephora were really dried out so I wasn't totally sure which shade to get :drama: I'll have to go back before the sale is over.

Anastasia has a clear brow gel too. I find it good but a bit pricy for what it is.

Also, Tarte, Too Faced, Makeup Forever, and NYX make tinted brow gels.

The biggest drawback of the Anastasia tinted brow gel is definitely the limited colour range.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
You guys, I am having so much fun with Rent the Runway. It's like shopping without the guilt. I go on the website and put little hearts by the things I like, and I know I'll get to it eventually AND I HAVEN'T SPENT ANY MONEY. (I mean, other than the monthly fee) I also get try stuff I wouldn't normally buy, which is of course how I ended up with the grey sweater with the giant pink pockets.

Which I bought. :shuffle:

RTR Discount This is a link to $30 off if you are thinking of trying it. Full disclosure: I also get $30 off if you use it. I don't know if you can piggy back it with the First Month Unlimited price ($99), but if you just need a dress for a special event, feel free to use it. :)

topaz

I miss you guys :)

I have been in a funk for a while. Not really wearing makeup, besides lipstick. Also, I havent' been taking care of my skin either. My job, which I hate has left me with little energy to do anything but listen to my audiobooks and watch TV.

I have been medicating to relieve the stress, disappointment of the job. But sometimes it's struggle. I am trying to do things that I enjoy though.

I need to purchase some new makeup though :)

Jenny

From the Bloc

Indeed, the sale is a good excuse to pick up a treat or two for yourself. And maybe go in person rather than order on line, play with the samples, maybe get a mini makeover while your at it :)

Hope you are back to yourself soon, we've missed you too.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I think I've finally found the elusive under eye concealer I've spent years searching for. I spent a lunch hour this week at Sephora and a very sweet associate painstakingly tried different concealers in different colours until we found the Nars soft matte. It blends perfectly into my dark circles and stays all day. That, with a Rodan & Fields eye-brightener, has made me a new person.

And now that it's spring, I'm switching from foundation back to my very fave Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer.

It's amazing what the right makeup can do.

Aceon6

I just finished my spring Sephora binge. I stuck to the basics... Dr Gross, some Clinique stuff, Vice lipstick in Backtalk that always seems to be sold out in stores, and minis of various makeup removers to see which I like best. My skin is saying no to my former go to Kirkland makeup removers, so it's time to try something new. I splurged on the Laura Mercier setting powder in the hope that my foundation won't melt off when and if the warmer weather gets here. They had various concealers as samples, so I'll try a few and see if anything works better on me than the matte, light pink eyeshadow that I've been using.

skategal

Bunny mama
Vice lipstick in Backtalk

Heads up on the Backtalk....it's a gorgeous color but can be drying on the lips.

I wear mine with a little bit of lip balm underneath which solves the problem.

I love the color so much that I don't mind taking the extra step.

Aceon6

I do a lip treatment before. If I want shine, I'll put a little Fresh Sugar on after it sets. Backtalk is the #1 seller of all the Vice shades. I'll be bringing mine on my next store visit as I'm told there's a comparable color in the cream line. I'm anxious to try.

skategal

Bunny mama

skategal

Bunny mama
I did my Sephora order. :cheer2:

I ordered two of the Lancôme Hypnose Le Stylo Waterproof eye shadow sticks (bronze and patine) and an Anastasia Beverley Hills Bronzer in Rich Amber. :rollin:

Got the 15% off plus I had a $23 credit on my account that I had forgotten about so it was a good shopping day. :lol: :cheer2:

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
Ulta had 20% off everything yesterday, but I didn't realize that until around 8:30 pm, and their website kept crashing. Oh, well, I spent enough at Sephora. Got the Huda #fauxfilter foundation in a lighter color, and then the mascara sampler and Kat Von D Lolita two-pack as gifts for my sister's birthday.

Jenya

Southern Hemisphere
In the US for 10 days and the Sephora and Ulta sales started the day after I left... life is so unfair :wuzrobbed

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
In the US for 10 days and the Sephora and Ulta sales started the day after I left... life is so unfair :wuzrobbed

I on the other hand devoutly hope for no sales this whole summer, I need to quit Sephora and buy other luxuries...like a car. :shuffle:

RockTheTassel

I miss you guys :)

I have been in a funk for a while. Not really wearing makeup, besides lipstick. Also, I havent' been taking care of my skin either. My job, which I hate has left me with little energy to do anything but listen to my audiobooks and watch TV.

I have been medicating to relieve the stress, disappointment of the job. But sometimes it's struggle. I am trying to do things that I enjoy though.

Welcome back, Topaz. I hope you're doing okay and plan to get some new makeup soon. :)

I don't know if this is helpful at all, but I've also been dealing with stress, anxiety, and depression. And I've found that doing my makeup can actually be a useful form of self-care. I often treat it like a mindfulness activity -- letting go of my thoughts about what I have to do and what's been happening recently and focusing on playing with makeup. I admire my makeup, from the packaging to the texture. I try to create interesting new looks or perfect old favorites. I focus on the whole experience, from selection to application to admiring the look I came up with. It also helps me feel better and more confident when I invest in myself a little.

Obviously it's not a cure and may not be possible if you're often running short on time when you apply makeup. But it could be worth a try.

Also, I love audiobooks! I actually listen to them when I apply makeup on days when I do want something else to focus on.

Stefanie

Does anyone have a recommendation for either a tinted moisturizer and/or a lightweight foundation that you'd use in the summertime? I have fair skin. I have used a Josie Maran and a Tarte one before, but I want to know what all you beauty queens recommend, too. :) Thank you!

floridaice

Does anyone have a recommendation for either a tinted moisturizer and/or a lightweight foundation that you'd use in the summertime? I have fair skin. I have used a Josie Maran and a Tarte one before, but I want to know what all you beauty queens recommend, too. :) Thank you!

I've been wearing IT! cc cream for about a year -- really like it. 50 SPF. I mix it with a heavier foundation (MakeUp Forever) if I need a little extra coverage.

skategal

Bunny mama
I've used several different BB and CC creams.

I second the IT cosmetics CC cream. I love that it has SPF 50 and you don't need to use a primer underneath it.

I also really like the Dr. Jart BB creams. I bought a sample pack with 4 different ones in it and use them regularly. Some of them also have SPF. Disapore BB cream is a favourite. The colour range is limited in these (only one shade per product) but if you can find a match, it's great.

I've also used Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer but I wouldn't say it was light coverage. But it was nice.

And I used one from Jouer cosmetics (sold online only) for a long time and really liked that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information