2018 Eurovision Grand Final Live Thread - We Got The Pyros (Ah yeah ah yeah ah yeah, yeah ah yeah ah yeah)

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
This shows how uneven the semi final allotments were. Top 3 all from semi final 1. Top song from Semi final 2 placed a questionable 7th

I Would've rather seen Germany or Italy 3rd.

I wanted Cyprus to win but I'm very happy for Netta. Great top 2 :cheer:

Also Great result for the Czech Republic.

Eden

There are discussions, but mostly wishful thinking, in Kan TV channel that Gal Gadot will probably be the host of ESC 2019 in Jerusalem.

screech

I've only been watching Eurovision for about 5 years, but this was BY FAR the most boring of all of the years I've watched. I didn't like any of the top acts, and very few songs were enjoyable IMO. The hosts were not that great either.

Madhatter

I've only been watching Eurovision for about 5 years, but this was BY FAR the most boring of all of the years I've watched. I didn't like any of the top acts, and very few songs were enjoyable IMO. The hosts were not that great either.

I enjoyed it more than most years, tbh. I counted only 5 songs that I didn't like. Word on the hosts though, pretty meh.

screech

I enjoyed it more than most years, tbh. I counted only 5 songs that I didn't like. Word on the hosts though, pretty meh.
When Sweden was in the running to win, I was thinking people were voting for the poor man's Bieber just so that there would actually be decent hosts next year.

I miss the old voting system. I really am not a fan of this announcing the 'douze points' for the jury, then going back and basically disregarding it all by subsequently announcing the viewer votes. Just go back to the old way!!!

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
One of the worst winner since forever (well since Carlotta for me). She can't bloody sing.
Her song is typical eurotrash.
So we're back to trash eurovision, the quality that won for some years now is back in the dustbin.
I thought she was pretty ghastly but nothing worse than some of the crap Euroviosion has been calling music over the years. Dima Bilan :scream: "Running Scared" from Azerbaijan :scream:

I could never understand why so many songs from Eurovision are done in English . Maybe it's because English is my native language,but for me so many of the English language Eurovision entries are terribly written with very poor lyrics and clunky/uneven musical structure.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I’m blown away by how lousy most of the songs are, period. Even pop music has quality standards. I’d venture to say that not one singer last night could get a record deal in the US to save his/her life.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
It's Eurovision.

Given some of the stuff that passes for music in the US, I don't that's a great measure of quality, either ;)

The pop music that makes it to radio may be plastic but it’s welk-produced and the Rihannas and Lady Gaga’s can actually sing.

MsZem

I see the sea
The pop music that makes it to radio may be plastic but it’s welk-produced and the Rihannas and Lady Gaga’s can actually sing.
I'm not talking about just pop. There's a lot of crap hip hop out there, and crap country (though they can usually sing) and so on.

Also, you're comparing a live performance with the studio-produced records - not the same thing. For instance, in semifinal 1 Netta sounded like a hot mess, and there was talk about how it wasn't living up to the official video.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I don't know I enjoy trainwreck Eurovision but even by that standard, this year's was subpar. I mean most act couldn't sing in tune whether their life depended on it. I don't remember last year's contestants to be so inept. Yet, I enjoy the fact there were very little ballads this time around compared to last year which was a bit of a snoozefest in that respect. I still enjoyed Netta not for her singing quality but for the image she projects which is quite refreshing in pop. A woman who doesn't fit the sexy pop culture mold (like Cyprus fuego who plays on cheap sex appeal to sell a mediocre song sung also out of tune), full of personality and quirks who is simply having loads of fun.

Madhatter

When Sweden was in the running to win, I was thinking people were voting for the poor man's Bieber just so that there would actually be decent hosts next year.

I miss the old voting system. I really am not a fan of this announcing the 'douze points' for the jury, then going back and basically disregarding it all by subsequently announcing the viewer votes. Just go back to the old way!!!

Re: voting system, if they insisit on keeping the judges, at least they could switch it so that the big step by step point rebeal is about the public vote.

Last edited:

Jenya

Southern Hemisphere
Cyprus wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed I have to imagine they're relieved at not having to come up with the money and infrastructure to host, though.

I hate Israel's song/staging/cultural appropriation but I'm tempted to download the song anyway and set it as a ringtone for certain individuals so I can remember that I'm not a toy, you stupid boy

MsZem

I see the sea
I hate Israel's song/staging/cultural appropriation but I'm tempted to download the song anyway and set it as a ringtone for certain individuals so I can remember that I'm not a toy, you stupid boy
I don't feel that it's really fair to label what Netta is doing cultural appropriation. Clearly she likes certain aspects of Japanese pop culture, and she's not necessarily relating to it in a profound way (I mean, Eurovision...) but my understanding is that appropriation is about people from a dominant culture borrowing elements from more marginalized cultures. And that really doesn't apply when you have a Jewish-Israeli women being inspired by Japanese design and culture.

Last edited:

Madhatter

I could never understand why so many songs from Eurovision are done in English . Maybe it's because English is my native language,but for me so many of the English language Eurovision entries are terribly written with very poor lyrics and clunky/uneven musical structure.

Because, aside from their own language, English songs is what people listen to all over Europe anyway, no matter what country. English will sound more familiar than for example Czech or Finnish and people might inderstand the gyst, therefore there is more likelihood the song will be voted for. At the same time, 95% of Eurovision voters are not native English speakers so they will not actually listen to the lyrics deeply, won't hear the cheesy/clunky phrasing or bad pronunciation. Much more to win than to lose. Heck, I actually liked the Burning Coffin Piano song while it was being sung, but I totally had/have no idea what it was about, and while I'm not a native speaker, I speak English pretty fluently. One of my favorite Eurovision songs was the Polish guy singing about colors. He sang it clearly enough for me to understand perfectly how cheesy the lyrics were but it didn't bother me at all - and it would probably bother me like whoa in my native tongue.

But I think fashion is changing - there were many more songs sung in native languages yesterday than usually.

Tinami Amori

Congratulations Israel!
Thank you, allezfred, for setting up FSU contest!
--
I am very very very glad "Israel won".. but the "singer and the song" gave me all sorts of thoughts.... like ... will Israel win only when represented by a "humpty-dumpty making tribal belches about evil men" or some other "comical non-threatening creature"... and yet a film with a gorgeous Wonder-woman, with super-powers and space age power weapons gets all sorts of international boooos? I wonder if Israel could win if someone looking like Natalie Portman was singing "When i ruled the world" or "We are the Champions"... :D

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I don't feel that it's really fair to label what Netta is doing cultural appropriation. Clearly she likes certain aspects of Japanese pop culture, and she's not necessarily relating to it in a profound way (I mean, Eurovision...) but my understanding is that appropriation is about people from a dominant culture borrowing elements from more marginalized cultures. And that really doesn't apply when you have a Jewish-Israeli women being inspired by Japanese design and culture.

Not a big fan of Netta or the song but was Med culturally appropriating in Sailor Moon? Japan is a strong First World culture that a lot of young people admire. Not Australian aborigines who can’t defend themselves from Russian mocking...

Madhatter

Thank you, allezfred, for setting up FSU contest!
--
I am very very very glad "Israel won".. but the "singer and the song" gave me all sorts of thoughts.... like ... will Israel win only when represented by a "humpty-dumpty making tribal belches about evil men" or some other "comical non-threatening creature"... and yet a film with a gorgeous Wonder-woman, with super-powers and space age power weapons gets all sorts of international boooos? I wonder if Israel could win if someone looking like Natalie Portman was singing "When i ruled the world" or "We are the Champions"... :D

?

What do you mean by "booos?" Do you mean girlpower sexpot like Wonderwoman is popular and praised or ridiculed? Because I encountered both attitudes.

Natalie Portman is hardly a sexpot, so imagine you're asking what would happen if a wholesome-looking girl sung a power anthem? Frankly, Netta would still win. Power anthems are dime a dozen at Eurovision, and "wholesome girl just here singing" don't do well at that stage.

shah

Shhh... shhh...
Reading the thread was much more enjoyable than watching the actual competition :D.

Even though I voted for Portugal ( :drama: ), France ( :wuzrobbed) and Cyprus, I am really glad Netta won. But please, let Tel Aviv host the event - I'd consider going! Oh, the promise of these golden boys showing me around :p...

Jury votes :violin:...

Last edited:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I’m blown away by how lousy most of the songs are, period. Even pop music has quality standards. I’d venture to say that not one singer last night could get a record deal in the US to save his/her life.

Read it and weep Yankee music snob :HA!:

http://metro.co.uk/2018/04/09/eurovision-2018-czech-republics-entrant-mikolas-josef-song-7452771/

Mikolas was previously approached to sing the Czech Republic’s 2017 entry My Turn but turned down the offer as he didn’t think the ballad fit his musical style (with singer Martina Barta taking the song to Kiev instead). Having won the Czech ticket to Lisbon this year he’s now tipped for even greater things, having signed an international deal with RCA Records

I am not a fan of the song, but I don't think this was cultural appropriation either. She is clearly a fan of Japanese anime culture, like lots of young ones who go to anime conventions.

What is important in Eurovision is to stand out and for whatever reason she did that. A classically beautiful woman in a nice dress with a nice song is not enough to get it done in Eurovision these days.

And I thought Wonder Woman was a huge box office smash or did I imagine that? :confused:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Wonder Woman was a huge smash and Gadot is universally popular, except for the real anti-Israel crowd. Now they’re calling for a boycott of next year’s Eurovision, like that’s gonna happen.

Me, I’m figuring out how much we can rent out our empty-but-furnished Jerusalem apartment for. Thanks, Netta!

Tinami Amori

Read it and weep Yankee music snob :HA!:
I agree with PRlady, and i am hardly a "yankee music snob".. :D I thought that many songs in this contest were in North American style, without specific rhythm or melody (well, except for some nice European rhythms with Valse and Polka and Mazurka and opera elements).
What is important in Eurovision is to stand out and for whatever reason she did that. A classically beautiful woman in a nice dress with a nice song is not enough to get it done in Eurovision these days.
One can stand out in different ways, "clown" is not the only option.. I bet if a Spanish or Black European singer came out looking like Carmen Miranda as "best of hispanic woman" or Bojangles as "best of black man", it would be a scandal because those are parodies..
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/e1/20/bd/...94f--miranda-songs-carmen-miranda-costume.jpg
http://www.danceheritage.org/treasures/robinson572.jpg
And Netta was a parody on "political correctness'... In an international competition the whole point is to present "The Best of your county/culture".. and Netta is not the best of "jewish/Israeli", her selection had a PC purpose, i suspect.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I agree with PRlady, and i am hardly a "yankee music snob".. :D I thought that many songs in this contest were in North American style, without specific rhythm or melody (well, except for some nice European rhythms with Valse and Polka and Mazurka and opera elements).

It's a popular music competition. North American music is popular all over Europe. Although lots of North American pop music these days are written by Swedish and Norwegian composers. ;)

One can stand out in different ways, "clown" is not the only option.. I bet if a Spanish or Black European singer came out looking like Carmen Miranda as "best of hispanic woman" or Bojangles as "best of black man", it would be a scandal because those are parodies..
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/e1/20/bd/...94f--miranda-songs-carmen-miranda-costume.jpg
http://www.danceheritage.org/treasures/robinson572.jpg
And Netta was a parody on "political correctness'... In an international competition the whole point is to present "The Best of your county/culture".. and Netta is not the best of "jewish/Israeli", her selection had a PC purpose, i suspect.

Sorry, I don't understand. You are saying that Netta was a parody on political correctness, but that her selection was due to political correctness? That doesn't make any sense. :confused:

Whether I like it or not, her music seems to be influenced by Japanese culture. I really don't see a problem with it.

Tinami Amori

It's a popular music competition. North American music is popular all over Europe. Although lots of North American pop music these days are written by Swedish and Norwegian composers. ;)
good to know.... :D

Sorry, I don't understand. You are saying that Netta was a parody on political correctness, but that her selection was due to political correctness? That doesn't make any sense. :confused:

Whether I like it or not, her music seems to be influenced by Japanese culture. I really don't see a problem with it.
The only part i don't mind "on her" are kimonos.... :D
I think Netta does not have a special voice, or performance abilities. She is not Susan
Boyle where looks don't matter given gorgeous voice. My opinion is that Netta was selected and packaged for "political correctness" effect and all it entails (which i mentioned).

The only other entry that is worth in that regard is the Russian in the wheelchair, who was picked last year to perform in Ukraine in order to get sympathy in view of the political situation.... and fortunately this BS was obvious this year too.

Tinami Amori

Susan Boyle's voice isn't all that, in my opinion. :shuffle:
Whatever reason she was selected, it worked. She won. Job done.
Boyle's voice and singing style is better than Netta's... :D
Yes Netta won, i am happy for Israel. I still think her song, style and looks do not represent Israel at its best.

This is an INTERNATIONAL competition, with one entry representing Flag/County (and not just a competition like pro-tennis where country of the athlete is just a technicality). It would be right, if each singer presented music and song, in NATIVE LANGUAGE with lyrics and music which represent the country, history, and the ethnic roots of the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information