Papadakis/Cizeron #6 - Season's Over - Let's Get Drunk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight1

Analysis
Analysis

The scores according to the President of Skate Canada:
V/M: 209.50 (85.10; 124.40)
P/C: 197.80 (78.70; 119.10)
The gap is small...

What was the gap between the Canadian and French judge in the short?

I am interested in this as well for the full picture.

The score difference in the Fd is ridiculous, not so for the SD.

Twilight1

I looked it up despite higher call in technical difficulty for V&M, slight errors in twizzles and the end lift for P&C... and wardrobe issue

Ms Christine Hurth judged it (not sure my math is right but you get the idea)

V&M
45.3 in tech
47.5 in pcs
Total 92.8

P&C
45.8 in tech
49.25 in PCS
Total 95.05

So Ms Hurth had P&C over V&M on twizzles 9.6 for P&C and 8.6 for V&M despite error

Had P&C over V&M in the lift (7.5 vs 6.5) despite the slight entry wobble

Etc...

THEN

she had P&C at 49.25 for PCS over V&M's 47.5 even though the wardrobe came undone and "supposedly impacted their program"

So while I can get the outrage over the FD... what are your thoughts on blatant patriotism for a team that had errors but was still held up by their country woman?

Last edited:

alain06fr

Do you know if they are training perhaps, if they started learning new things ? Or are they still enjoying a break ? Going back on the ice after this season must be challenging... :cold:
Hello Anyasnake!
They clearly need a break. It's an opportunity for them to do things they could not the past years. One can hardly figure out up to which point they are busy during the whole year and the constraints on their private life.
Of course they need to prepare the shows in Asia and also decide on the setup for the next season.

Anyasnake

Hello Anyasnake!
They clearly need a break. It's an opportunity for them to do things they could not the past years. One can hardly figure out up to which point they are busy during the whole year and the constraints on their private life.
Of course they need to prepare the shows in Asia and also decide on the setup for the next season.
I hope they are taking it easy, doing what they need for shows and/or skating lightly. They deserve that break, or need, actually. They can resume the training for next season later on, they need to have funx1000 ! (Nobody wants a burn-out)

Viscaro

So while I can get the outrage over the FD... what are your thoughts on blatant patriotism for a team that had errors but was still held up by their country woman?

Yeah I think the score would have been the same with another Canadian judge. Like P/C said, there are French judges too...

Nationalism in ice dance is problem. Is it solvable ? I'm not sure. Still, having a Fed President as a judge isn't sending a good message. It means nationalistic bias is accepted (which it kinda is tbh). But the fact that both French and Canadian judges (and every nationality I think) overscore their team and underscore theirs opponents without any complaints from the FSU (that we know of) is sending the same message.

So forbidding the Fed Presidents to be a judge is like... patching an open wound with band-aid. It's not unhelpful, yet it does not solve thing either. But I agree it'll look better.

alain06fr

I wonder which other forum you're referring too... :D

Well... There’s one site which is getting definitely worse and worse... And thinking, like many people do, that the administrators of this site don’t fix the issues because they seem to be themselves part of the problem makes the situation even more pathetic.

I really enjoy the freedom of speech and debates on FSU. I don’t agree with everyone and this is great. How boring figure skating would be if we would all agree on all topics! That’s exactly why we need a forum like this one, where different opinions can be expressed. Such environment creates a climate favourable to feel responsible, contribute to the discussion and share news and info with the other members.

Last edited:

Anyasnake

We're talking Canada and France, and everyone does it.
In the new ISU communication, isn't there a proposition about showing publicly who scored who ? Like the skating score website, but directly during the event for everyone to it live ?

I don't get why at some point you're not doing everything you can to show how your sport is great by judging it properly. Okay, the debates P/C and V/M, but those are nothing because even with all the mistakes in the world, judges are always putting them first and second (rightfully so for what they put on the ice for the last 2 seasons), this is a case of going either way (truthfully they were SO ahead it wasn't even funny). But compared to the Smart/Diaz situation for example : I still think that H/K are the better team, but to me S/D should have gone to the Olys based on their fed rules and that issue was disgusting. There was a discussion in a YouTube video by a skater about putting S/K above Anna&Luca in the Minsk competition because there was a lot of "Judging mafia" (but S/K bombed big time).
Anyway, I think judging should become professional and not a volunteering thing anymore. It might be too expensive though.

I'm all for splitting GOE and PCS for a panel too.

EDIT : found it.
PROPOSAL 204 (pg. 85): The ISU will publish team results per national federation after each international competition, based on individual results in each discipline at the competition. Reasoning: To support the development of all skating disciplines.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
Well... There’s one site which is getting definitely worse and worse... And thinking, like many people do, that the administrators of this site don’t fix the issues because they seem to be themselves part of the problem makes the situation even more pathetic.
IIRC said admin(s) is(are) a member(s) here. So maybe you should take this to PM as FSU generally frowns upon other boards bashing. It's always better to address people directly when you have gripe about them. This from someone who don't care for GS.

That’s exactly why we need a forum like this one, where different opinions can be expressed. Such environment creates a climate favourable to feel responsible, contribute to the discussion and share news and info with the other members.
Yes, that's why it has been such a successful message board for the past 19 years with a solid basis of hundreds of regular posters who've been here since day 1 (as defectors from late FSW). They are true fans of figure skating in general and very knowledgeable people from whom you can learn a lot.

Last edited:

alain06fr

IIRC said admin(s) is(are) a member(s) here. So maybe you should take this to PM as FSU generally frowns upon other boards bashing. It's always better to address people directly when you have gripe about them. This from someone who don't care for GS.

Well, I just talked about "a site" having "problems" and nothing else to shortly reply to Anyasnake. I mentioned it here because these problems are mostly related to cultural issues. Figure Skating fans are from different countries. This is great of course but it can lead to tricky and unexpected situations, misunderstandings and eventually fights due to big cultural differences. I think I will share about this more later on as this is a very interesting topic (and a way to better understand each other), especially during the off season.

Yes, that's why it has been such a successful message board for the past 19 years with a solid basis of hundreds of regular posters who've been here since day 1 (as defectors from late FSW). They are true fans of figure skating in general and very knowledgeable people from whom you can learn a lot.

Yep, true, What I see so far is that FSU's approach to handle these cultural differences is quite successful I must say so other people could think about it and get inspired by FSU. Who knows?

Anyasnake

Sounds like it's now official: Madison Chock and Evan Bates moved to Gadbois... And so did Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje (I don't know if you guys are aware about it)
Kaitlyn and Andrew ?! What ?! :eek::eek:

... Are some teams leaving Gadbois and we're not aware of it ? This isn't just crowded at this point, every single top team is there. :scream:

synian

Sounds like it's now official: Madison Chock and Evan Bates moved to Gadbois... And so did Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje (I don't know if you guys are aware about it)
Alain, Alain ... Always the teaser !!!! Nice one.
I think that Montreal gets teams who get along really great together. May be a way to emphasize great work spirit with a little competition spirit in order to puch everyone to their best ?

muffinplus

I can just tell you that Alain is close to Gabby and Guillaume and never speaks if he is not allowed to ....

No offense to you.... but I don't really know anything about Alain. I'm not saying it's not true or he isn't an accurate source...My comment was not about Alain.

Just it's just very bizarre news, this is getting more and more weird by the minute after the Chock/Bates news

synian

No offense to you.... but I don't really know anything about Alain. I'm not saying it's not true or he isn't an accurate source...My comment was not about Alain.

Just it's just very bizarre news, this is getting more and more weird by the minute after the Chock/Bates news
Don't worry, I don't feel any offence !!! I'm from France, and free speech is something really important for us !!!!

alain06fr

Kaitlyn and Andrew ?! What ?! :eek::eek:

... Are some teams leaving Gadbois and we're not aware of it ? This isn't just crowded at this point, every single top team is there. :scream:

Well, to tell you the truth, we're ALL moving to Gadbois.
Synian and Maya are currently at the airport to fly to Montréal. Same for Icetigger and AllezFred who're preparing their luggages, Cholla & Cocotaffy are already there and so on. ;)
The question is: Who's not going to move to Gadbois!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 74551

I believe it and all but- what?!?!? If MF and P thought this cycle was stressful...

I wonder what P/C and H/D think about it. Obviously they’re unchallenged at the top at this time but that is an impossibly crowded rink. They surely have to be adding coaching staff.

Anyasnake

To be honest, Gaby and Guillaume are not involved in this.
But... don't they ask Gaby, Guillaume, Maddie and Zach about this ? At least for Chock/Bates and Weaver/Poje ? :confused:
Especially Maddie and Zach who were very close to them in points this year...

D

Deleted member 74551

Right. Gabby and Guillaume might not be too affected by it, but I don’t think I’d be best pleased if I were Madi and Zach and I’m suddenly looking at fending off teams just behind me instead of looking to gain ground on P/C.

I fully believe that Gadbois was as equitable as could be with their three top teams this year. But this is madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information