Virture & Moir
Patrick Chan
Duhamel & Radford
Kaetlyn Osmond
Elvis Stojko
Jeffrey Buttle
Weaver & Poje
Gabrielle Daleman

It looks like the presale code is out, too.
So this year you are coming to MTL. Too bad it was not last year. I would have gone as my fav. pairs were on the tour. Lubov & Dylan. Oh well...Guess my stars will never be aligned.

luckiest1

They can and probably will add more skaters to the list after Canadians (and possibly after Olympics). However, what is notable is that there is no mention whatsoever of Kurt skating this year.

chantilly

He was talking about skating and practicing jumps in his hockey skates at SKAM.
But I wouldn't be surprised if he's edging towards retirement as a skater.
He's also a commentator now and it's OLYS.
Imagine he will be exhausted once the season is over.

luckiest1

Kurt skated a number in hockey skates at Scott Hamilton's event very recently. But I agree, he's a busy guy.

SCeline

Just announced this evening - Javier Fernandez will be joining the Canadian tour. It's in the news section of the website www.starsonice.ca and was tweeted out as well.

Lucky SOI Canada!
I don't understand why the US tour is so non-international ... it is now literally the only one. I doubt US fans who actually pay for show tickets are going thinking they only want to see US skaters.

paskatefan

This is what I don't get about SOI. We've been attending the US tour since 1993 (when we first heard about it). We go every year. Now, while we do want to see our favorite US skaters, we miss the international skaters very much! I wish TPTB would wake up to the idea that serious skating fans appreciate skaters of many different nationalities, and that the cast announcements would still reflect that! I have sent messages to TPTB @ US SOI about this issue (I hope & think I'm not the only one who has voiced this opinion/suggestion to them). I wish they would listen to the longtime fans' comments & suggestions with regard to this matter.

skatingguy

decently
This is what I don't get about SOI. We've been attending the US tour since 1993 (when we first heard about it). We go every year. Now, while we do want to see our favorite US skaters, we miss the international skaters very much! I wish TPTB would wake up to the idea that serious skating fans appreciate skaters of many different nationalities, and that the cast announcements would still reflect that! I have sent messages to TPTB @ US SOI about this issue (I hope & think I'm not the only one who has voiced this opinion/suggestion to them). I wish they would listen to the longtime fans' comments & suggestions with regard to this matter.
I don't think it's that they don't want to include international skaters, I think it's they can't afford them, and they have better offers on other continents.

Scrufflet

Ditto for Canada. Even if it is a matter of not being able to afford international stars, why not highlight an up-and-comer in each tour stop? I mean those who are ranked just outside the top tier.

Skate Talker

I don't think it's that they don't want to include international skaters, I think it's they can't afford them, and they have better offers on other continents.
Is is possible USFSA has some control over this? Don't competitive skaters still require their association's permission or has that changed? Maybe they drive a hard bargain.

skatingguy

decently
Is is possible USFSA has some control over this? Don't competitive skaters still require their association's permission or has that changed? Maybe they drive a hard bargain.
Usually the skaters invited to perform in Stars on Ice are represented by IMG, they have more influence in the that area than the USFSA has ever had. I don't believe skaters have ever required permission to perform in shows, only international competitions.

Sylvia

TBD
Just announced this evening - Javier Fernandez will be joining the Canadian tour. It's in the news section of the website
Link: http://www.starsonice.ca/news.html?n_id=492
"Joining as a cast member, for only the second time, is two-time World champion and six-time consecutive European champion Javier Fernández." Lucky Canadian fans (again)!

U.S. Stars on Ice tour thread is here (22 cities from April 6 to May 20; no new cast additions named yet since the original announcement): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/stars-on-ice-u-s-2018.102509/

WildRose

Ditto for Canada. Even if it is a matter of not being able to afford international stars, why not highlight an up-and-comer in each tour stop? I mean those who are ranked just outside the top tier.
With all due respect, I don’t buy Stars on Ice tickets to see up and comers, there are other smaller shows and competitions that I can attend to support them. Most of the Canadians in the CSOI cast are stars who have appeared in shows internationally in places like Japan, Korea and Europe, and CSOI does add skaters from other countries to the cast, albeit not every year. For example Javier Fernandez is returning to the cast for the second time this year.

screech

Also makes sense for Javi to join the Canadian tour, since he's basically an honourary Canadian by now - it's the closest to a 'home crowd' tour he'd get. And if it's his last season, he'll likely be returning to Spain soon. Kind of a nice 'send-off' for him.

screech

I'm considering getting tickets for the Toronto show. I like to sit on the short ends (can see the whole ice easier) and am wondering, based on past years, which short end is better to sit at? Is one side's view partially obscured in any way?

binbinwinwin

I've been a few times and I've sat lengthwise every time but it's nothing like competition where you're at a bit of a disadvantage because skaters tailor themselves to the judges. Any angle should be fine.

midori

I'm considering getting tickets for the Toronto show. I like to sit on the short ends (can see the whole ice easier) and am wondering, based on past years, which short end is better to sit at? Is one side's view partially obscured in any way?
East. I'd definitely choose East over West in ACC, if things are same as part years.

Sylvia

TBD
Publicity article for the CSOI which is stopping in Montreal this year: https://mountainlake.org/figure-skating-and-ice-dancing-take-over-montreal/

List of all dates/12 cities:

Apr. 27, 2018 - SCOTIABANK CENTRE HALIFAX, NS

Apr. 29 - CANADIAN TIRE CENTRE OTTAWA, ON

May 2 - BELL CENTRE MONTREAL, QC (site of 2020 Worlds)

May 4 - AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO, ON

May 5 - FIRSTONTARIO CENTRE HAMILTON, ON

May 6 - BUDWEISER GARDENS LONDON, ON

May 9 - BELL MTS PLACEWINNIPEG, MB

May 11 - SASKTEL CENTRESASKATOON, SK

May 12 - SCOTIABANK SADDLEDOME CALGARY, AB

May 13 - ROGERS PLACE EDMONTON, AB

May 15 - SAVE-ON-FOODS MEMORIAL CENTRE VICTORIA, BC

May 17 - ROGERS ARENA VANCOUVER, BC

SCeline

Canadian skaters are so much more fortunate than the US skaters, with the timing of this show, permitting some lucky skaters the opportunity to also skate the Japan stars show. The total take per show is so much greater in both of these markets, that I bet the skaters are getting paid multiples of what the US skaters are getting paid.

D

Deleted member 74551

Several friends were there and said that the reception for all the skaters was insane. Virtue/Moir got a spontaneous standing ovation before they even started. It must be amazing for the whole team to be experiencing that level of support.

Weaver/Poje are doing what sounds like some kind of Tango/Paso fusion to Lady Gaga’s ‘Applause’. Colour me intrigued by that one. Can’t wait to see it!

SkateGuard

Last night’s show was out of this world! Standing ovations all around. I’ve posted several short clips on the Skate Guard blog twitter account. I have slightly longer ones I’ll upload and share early next week once I’m back in the city. Some music notes (from memory):

Gabby did Save The Last Dance For Me (Michael Buble) & I Have Nothing (Whitney Houston)
Tessa and Scott did You Rock My World (Michael Jackson) and Roxanne/Come What May with Long Time Running intro
Javier did a jazzy program which looked a lot? like a SP setup & a haunting ballad by Pablo Alboran
Patrick did Lovers In A Dangerous Time (Barenaked Ladies) and Hallelujah
Kaitlyn and Andrew did Applause (Lady Gaga) and Tennessee Whiskey (Chris Stapleton)
Kaetlyn did Lost (Anouk) and Too Darn Hot
Meagan and Eric did their SOI Japan # and Be Mine (Ofenbach)
Jeffrey Buttle’s 2nd # was an acoustic version of Daniel Bedingfield’s “Gotta Get Through This”
Can’t think of Elvis’ music off the top of my head - upbeat programs
Group #’s and interludes included opening # to Pink’s “Raise Your Glass”, “One Is The Loneliest Number” (Meagan, Eric, Patrick) and “Fields Of Gold”

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama
Just to add onto the above post...

Jeff Buttle's first program was "For Forever" from Dear Evan Hanson.

Two group numbers blew my mind completely.

1. Andrew, Kaitlyn and Tessa do one (I don't know the song) but Andrew and Tessa ice dance together for about a minute. I gasped because it was so beautiful but also felt so wrong to see them together. :lol:

2. A group number set in a club with Tessa/Scott, Kaitlyn/Andrew, and Meghan/Eric where they dance/skate to Ed Sheeran's "Shape of You." Fun to see V/M skate to music that P/C used all season. I am wondering if that is a bit of an inside joke by choreographer Jeff Buttle. :rofl:

Fields of Gold group number featured the gold medal winning team from the team competition at Olympics. It was so good and they made the Olympic Rings with the lights on the skaters at the end. So touching.

Kaitlyn and Andrew's "Lady Gaga, Applause" program was awesome. Loved it. :cheer:

Patrick's "Hallelujah" was gorgeous. :swoon:

Tessa and Scott stole the show. Awesome programs and they looked so happy.

Also, my husband who went with me loved Duhamel/Redford and Elvis. He said that Elvis has to be the best skater of his generation who is still skating today. He is in awesome shape.

Overall, I thought it was a great show. People with tickets to this won't be disappointed.

barbarafan

1. Andrew, Kaitlyn and Tessa do one (I don't know the song) but Andrew and Tessa ice dance together for about a minute. I gasped because it was so beautiful but also felt so wrong to see them together. :lol:

2. A group number set in a club with Tessa/Scott, Kaitlyn/Andrew, and Meghan/Eric where they dance/skate to Ed Sheeran's "Shape of You." Fun to see V/M skate to music that P/C used all season. I am wondering if that is a bit of an inside joke by choreographer Jeff Buttle. :rofl:

Fields of Gold group number featured the gold medal winning team from the team competition at Olympics. It was so good and they made the Olympic Rings with the lights on the skaters at the end. So touching.

Kaitlyn and Andrew's "Lady Gaga, Applause" program was awesome. Loved it. :cheer:

Also, my husband who went with me loved Duhamel/Redford and Elvis. He said that Elvis has to be the best skater of his generation who is still skating today. He is in awesome shape.

Overall, I thought it was a great show. People with tickets to this won't be disappointed.

Jeff gave it to us Stars on Ice as well...H/D D/W and Nathan Chen/Ashley Wagner were in it.

Scrufflet

Last night’s show was out of this world! Standing ovations all around. I’ve posted several short clips on the Skate Guard blog twitter account. I have slightly longer ones I’ll upload and share early next week once I’m back in the city. Some music notes (from memory):

Gabby did Save The Last Dance For Me (Michael Buble) & I Have Nothing (Whitney Houston)
Tessa and Scott did You Rock My World (Michael Jackson) and Roxanne/Come What May with Long Time Running intro
Javier did a jazzy program which looked a lot? like a SP setup & a haunting ballad by Pablo Alboran
Patrick did Lovers In A Dangerous Time (Barenaked Ladies) and Hallelujah
Kaitlyn and Andrew did Applause (Lady Gaga) and Tennessee Whiskey (Chris Stapleton)
Kaetlyn did Lost (Anouk) and Too Darn Hot
Jeffrey Buttle’s 2nd # was an acoustic version of Daniel Bedingfield’s “Gotta Get Through This”
Can’t think of Meagan and Eric and Elvis’ music off the top of my head - upbeat programs all
Group #’s and interludes included opening # to Pink’s “Raise Your Glass”, “One Is The Loneliest Number” (Meagan, Eric, Patrick) and “Fields Of Gold”
Thanks so much for this! Great clips and I'm really excited for the Toronto show!

Scrufflet

Sounds really wonderful! I guess I can stand that Sheeran song just one more time. I loathe it! But everything else sounds like a massive celebration! Looking forward to Toronto show!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information