All aboard the Eurovision Song Contest 2018 (Lisbon, Portugal)

Tinami Amori

Not another one out of 66 winners? :drama:
you're god for posting this! from the last 15 years Conchita is my favorite winner. I know, shallow.... but! the beginning of the song is like "Hotel California", the middle of the song is "you're my everything"... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knr6SUMsGag

(and still the two best entries into Eurovision, IMO of course, are these two:
Greece - Kosa Mostra - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AfrOZersNk
Babsuhkas - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgUstrmJzyc)
and yes, i've been saying it for few years now... but nothing better came up yet.... :D

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
you're god for posting this! from the last 15 years Conchita is my favorite winner. I know, shallow.... but! the beginning of the song is like "Hotel California", the middle of the song is "you're my everything"... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knr6SUMsGag

(and still the two best entries into Eurovision, IMO of course, are these two:
Greece - Kosa Mostra - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AfrOZersNk
Babsuhkas - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgUstrmJzyc)
and yes, i've been saying it for few years now... but nothing better came up yet.... :D
I absolutely love Kosa Mostra, it might be my favorite entry.
I’m sad that this American cannot vote. I generally don’t pay attention to Eurovision because of the fact that I could never watch it nor vote.

Then.....I found Netta! I hope she wins the whole thing. I love that song. I’m going to have to find a stream somewhere.
I don't think it's a problem for the mock contest here though. There are still many countries needing a representant. Just pick one here. As for the stream, no worries there's always someone to put up links in the PBP thread.

Eden

I’m sad that this American cannot vote. I generally don’t pay attention to Eurovision because of the fact that I could never watch it nor vote.

Then.....I found Netta! I hope she wins the whole thing. I love that song. I’m going to have to find a stream somewhere.
If you have Logo TV (American LGBT channel), then you can watch ESC (Finals only) live on your TV in U.S.
Regarding Netta's song: Overthinking it :)

Josh78

Can't wait for the contest to start -- I'm the rare American who actually tries to follow it (have been aware of it since 1988 when Celine Dion won, and always wanted to keep track of it, but until the advent of the internet and Youtube and other sites, you really couldn't as an American until a few years ago, and even then, there's always the added obstacle of potential geoblocking of broadcasts)

This is the first year since I've been watching hardcore (2014) that I really like ALL the entries, and there isn't one that I'm really tired of or absolutely hate (though I definitely have my favorites -- I almost ranked and posted all 43 in order on my social media, but figured my non-Eurovision aware followers would complain too much...but here's my top 3):

1. France -- Just love the message of the song, the video is strong and adds to it
2. Australia -- Say what you will about it being "generic" pop, it's still STRONG and Jessica's energy is just lovely and she really looks stunning
3. Macedonia -- Initially didn't get it at ALL but the more I've listened to it, the more it just continues to grow on me!

Finnice

Listened to Semi 1 and the big 6 today. Actually,it was less bad that I thought.
But Iceland and Estonia:scream::slinkaway. And some very mediocre songs.
2018 seems to be one of the better ESC years.

Josh78

Even Hungary, Iceland and San Marino? :eek:

LOL allezfred -- SHOCKING to admit, I know (and I may be shunned by all the European members here for it), but I actually DO like ALL three of those -- Hungary's "Viszlat Nyar" is just so different from anything you ever see at Eurovision -- I mean, who would expect scream metal?? -- but I really actually have come to appreciate the song having heard interviews where the guys in the band talk about it's meaning..now do I think it'll come anywhere CLOSE to the top 5? NO -- but I do think it's more quality than people think and that it'll be in the top 15...

Iceland -- Ari is just so darn adorable and a nice young man -- he seems like the kind of young man you'd have no thoughts about taking him to see your parents and getting their "approval" -- It's a shame to me that the song was so universally panned as soon as it came out for being too good-natured/positive/cheesy (especially since he really has one of the best voices in the competition) -- when did it become a black mark to make music that just tried to be simple and positive in its message? I think it's message about the only way we can advance is by treating each other better is very appropriate for this day and time (especially here in the US with the political situation -- but maybe that's why I take a more positive view of it) -- and I love the video and how it simply showcases him but Icelandic culture as not something foreign, but "normal/everyday" -- that being said, I gave up hope that he's going to finish anywhere CLOSE to the top 10 weeks ago, he'll be lucky just to qualify (and I think the only way that happens is if there's a huge European teen girl fan wave of support -- and considering Mikolas and Cesar and other guys are in that semi, even that will be tough to come by)

Same with San Marino -- I gave up hope weeks ago that it'll come close to getting in there, but I love the simple positive message, and in another universe it would probably be in my top 5 -- I love the girl power message of the song and again, think it's very appropriate for today with the #MeToo movement (I think it's the 2nd most #MeToo song in the whole contest, behind Netta's) and I love Jessika and Jenifer's sass and confidence (and I actually DO like Jenifer's rap, which has definitely had more haters than lovers) -- all the controversy about Jen lifting lyrics from other's songs for her last album is manufactured to me -- the only thing I wish is that San Marino had better influence as a national body and could afford to do something more than put those two robots (no matter how expensive they are) on the stage like they did at the national final (I honestly don't know what to expect) -- and their vocal performances in the pre-EV concerts that I've seen up to now has been spotty at best..

It'll definitely be interesting to see who looks strong in rehearsals right up until the days of the semis, and then who brings it then -- always a few surprises!

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Just came across this video of Holocaust survivors and their families singing "Chai" by Ofra Haza, Israel's Eurovision entry in 1982. The significant point of that year was that the contest was hosted in Germany.

Here is the original version from 1982 with the classic 1980s Eurovision Israeli shuffle moves.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
This is one of the strongest year I can remember in eurovision history. I love too many songs lol!

Eden

Just came across this video of Holocaust survivors and their families singing "Chai" by Ofra Haza, Israel's Eurovision entry in 1982. The significant point of that year was that the contest was hosted in Germany.
Yom HaShoah, Israeli Holocaust Memorial Day, was last week.
I shared this video with my students during that day.
Chai is the most famous Israeli ESC entry among Jewish communities in US, and is often used in Jewish schools for various celebrations.
Thank you for sharing it!
Here is the original version from 1982 with the classic 1980s Eurovision Israeli shuffle moves.
Ofra Haza's backup singers were all dressed in yellow costumes because of the Yellow Star of David, symbol that Jews were forced (by Germans) to wear during the Holocaust.
"Chai" by Ofra Haza, Israel's Eurovision entry in 1982.

Last edited:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Anybody else who wants to take part in the FSU poll, please let me know! @avivadawn or @Josh78 or anyone else feel free to join in. ;)

Thanks to everyone else who have sent votes already. If I could get votes for the semis from anyone else who hasn’t sent theirs yet, it would be great if you could send them as soon as you can!

Josh78

Anybody else who wants to take part in the FSU poll, please let me know! @avivadawn or @Josh78 or anyone else feel free to join in. ;)

Thanks to everyone else who have sent votes already. If I could get votes for the semis from anyone else who hasn’t sent theirs yet, it would be great if you could send them as soon as you can!

I would love to allezfred! Just explain how! :) (Never mind, I found the thread --- I'm lucky, I'm American so I can vote for whoever I want in either semi! lol)

shah

Shhh... shhh...
I would love to allezfred! Just explain how! :) (Never mind, I found the thread --- I'm lucky, I'm American so I can vote for whoever I want in either semi! lol)

Not really :p. In FSU ESC you select one country you want to represent, which means that if you pick Albania, for instance, you can vote only for semi 1 countries and you cannot vote for youself, i.e. Albania :). In the final, you can vote for all the countries that qualified in the poll - if Albania (your country) qualifies, you can't give it any points, again. Do join in and have fun :).

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
So first rehearsals have started for Eurovision

So I hope FSU is ready for Eleni Foureira 🔥

I think she might get some attention in the U.S. as well since the final is being aired on a channel where RuPaul’s Drag Race reigns supreme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information