Savchenko/Massot Fan Thread

text_skate

clairecloutier

I have mixed feelings about Aliona/Bruno retiring. A part of me wants Aliona to go on forever. :D But another part of me wants her to go out on top, and not see her decline.

What's amazing about Aliona is that she's been great for such a very long time. She has been on the World podium every time she's competed since 2007. For 11 of the last 12 years. I doubt any recent pairs skater could even come close to matching that record. She has stood on the last 3 Olympic podiums. She has been either 1st or 2nd at every Europeans she's competed in since 2006. She's also finished 3rd or higher at every Grand Prix Final she's competed in since 2006!

It's such an amazing record, and she has set such a high standard for herself. I suspect (and hope) that she will stop when she & Bruno feel they can no longer compete at that standard. Until that moment comes, I'll be happy to keep watching them!

IloveFS

Definitely not if you look at the major stuff. They have the same Olympic medal record, but Savchenko has more world titles and medals and more ISU championship medals (European skaters don't skip Euros as often as non-European skaters skip 4CC).

I believe the senior ISU championship medal records are as follows among living skaters:
Rodnina 21
Savchenko 20
Kostner 17
Joubert 16
Plushenko 15
Szolkowy 15
Virtue/Moir 14

Not counting team medals, Rodnina has the strongest Olympic record, followed by Virtue/Moir and then Plushenko.

Awww. Another reason for VM to continue.....To be more decorated than Rodnina and Savchenko!!!!

whiteskates

If Bruno wants to retire and Aljona wants to contiue, I suspect she has willpower enough to persuade him to go on skating for anther season or two.

Mad for Skating

It's nice when athletes go out on top but there's a reason why so many don't. They feel, right or wrong, that they have more to do in the sport and they don't want to move on yet. It's their call. I always hate it when fans try to retire skaters. Why is it so hard to respect their wishes? People wanted to retire Aljona four years ago. It's not like they would be stealing someone else's time in the spotlight -- they will have to fight for it like everyone else.

If Aljona and Bruno have it in them to give even a handful of great performances of wonderful new programs, how fabulous for us fans. They will figure out when it's really time to go, as all athletes must.

Agree. At the end of the day, it's their decision when they want to quit. I just hope their bodies can handle it.

I have mixed feelings about Aliona/Bruno retiring. A part of me wants Aliona to go on forever. :D But another part of me wants her to go out on top, and not see her decline.

What's amazing about Aliona is that she's been great for such a very long time. She has been on the World podium every time she's competed since 2007. For 11 of the last 12 years. I doubt any recent pairs skater could even come close to matching that record. She has stood on the last 3 Olympic podiums. She has been either 1st or 2nd at every Europeans she's competed in since 2006. She's also finished 3rd or higher at every Grand Prix Final she's competed in since 2006!

It's such an amazing record, and she has set such a high standard for herself. I suspect (and hope) that she will stop when she & Bruno feel they can no longer compete at that standard. Until that moment comes, I'll be happy to keep watching them!

Yes!!! If it doesn't affect their health, I would love to see them for a few more years. (I watched their Olympic skate again today and was blown away!) Aliona is a legend who inspires me every day, and I'm also so happy Bruno got the chance to reach his potential. And if they do decide it's time to say goodbye...then I'll get some chocolates and rewatch all their greatest performances!

text_skate

"It feels nice to have been part of another gold medal."
In an article in Scotsman, where T/D are promoting their show Dancing on Ice Live UK Tour, Christopher Dean talks a little about S/M.
https://www.scotsman.com/news/interview-torvill-and-dean-1-4719735

This time round Dean was involved with the Winter Olympics again, with choreographing input to the German, French, American and British skating teams. He admits to being pleased when the German gold medal-winning pair Aljona Savchenko and Bruno Massot took to the ice in outfits that were a nod to Torvill and Dean’s flowing purple Bolero costumes.

“It’s nice,” he says. “You give something to them and they do what they can with it. It’s like an iceberg and they’re at the pinnacle and you’re part of it somewhere in a way. It feels nice to have been part of another gold medal. Competing is for the young because you need to have that sense of adventure and pioneering, wanting to be the best. We’d done all that, and as you grow older you think about things a little more, you’ve matured,” says Dean.

Mad for Skating

Extended fan video of them in the K&C after the FS. They really should get a Puffs or Kleenex endorsement deal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2LXuCz6f8s

But the best part is at the 2:09 mark when, in the midst of this dramatic, emotional moment, the resplendent sounds of "Candyman" start blasting. Alexander Koenig made a nicely timed escape.

LOL the part about Candyman...why didn't I figure out how to duck out quickly AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON???

Speaking of background music...I was watching their Olympic free skate (AGAIN!!!) and just realized the song playing as they got off the ice was "Already Gone" by Kelly Clarkson. The universe knew to play my favorite song while my favorite skaters were winning their gold medal. I am truly blessed.

libecha

Aljona working out with her husband Liam, while on holiday. ?!?!?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhRyph-l3BY/?taken-by=aljonasavchenko

It's her first two-week vacation in 30 years. Since she was four years old? Is that normal even for an OGM?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhZccyOF22a/?taken-by=aljonasavchenko

Her husband is also in intense training, to be on a TV show called Ninja Warrior Germany. Neither one of them is normal! Good thing they found each other.

Meanwhile, Bruno posts photos of himself and Sophie lying in a cabana in the Maldives.

Mad for Skating

MsZem

I see the sea
That's lovely, Bruno and Sophie must be so excited :)

Looking at Aljona and Bruno's future plans, I imagine Sophie (and Bruno) might want to head back to France now that they're starting a family. Or perhaps not quite yet?

SamuraiK

Quadjump

Aljona and Bruno will be part of the next Holiday on ice tour from November 2018 till Februar 2019.

I think this definitly means that there is no competitive season 2018/2019 but a lot of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information