U.S. Pairs 2018 - News & Updates, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
ICYMI: a NBC recap claimed that Alex (sic!) and Chris Knierim attempted 3A in the team SP but fell. I wish them good luck with those fairly ambitious sbs 3As in the free! :p
And the Associated Press recap claimed SK/K landed side-by-side triple flips in their SP.

Alexa landed up to 3F when she was a competitive singles skater -- she qualified for Nationals at the junior level in 2008 (she placed 12th of 14 in St. Paul).

Chris won the Novice Pairs title with Brynn Carman at that same Nationals -- Carman has been very supportive of her former partner on Twitter (good to see she's currently building a career in local news in Iowa): https://twitter.com/BrynnCarmanTV/status/961767302969602049

ETA that Sarah Hughes tweeted this clip of SK/K landing a throw 3S in practice yesterday: https://twitter.com/SarahHughesNY/status/962157770874093569
Happy to see a good number of fans in the stands!

Last edited:

Skittl1321

I remember when Brynn and Chris did the quad throw people said he could only do it because she was a child, and anyone could chunk someone that tiny in the air. Turns out he's just a really good pairs skater.

I'm loving the pairs coverage the past few days. It's nice for the forgotten discipline to get some air time.

Skittl1321

But a little perspective in that Nathan did not completely 'flop.'

Did you see his face when he finished or hear his interviews? He flopped and he knew it. He is known to be one of the best jumpers...his protocols have a 0 for a jump element and another across the board -3 GOE. He blew it big time. You say have some perspective, well, perspective matters in calling a flop. He and SK/K got the same number of points for the team, sure, but for him it was with one of his worst skates and we'll behind what he should have done. Whereas they exceeded expectations.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Did you see his face when he finished or hear his interviews? He flopped and he knew it. He is known to be one of the best jumpers...his protocols have a 0 for a jump element and another across the board -3 GOE. He blew it big time. You say have some perspective, well, perspective matters in calling a flop. He and SK/K got the same number of points for the team, sure, but for him it was with one of his worst skates and we'll behind what he should have done. Whereas they exceeded expectations.

Flip-flop, let's head over to U.S. men's thread or to the general men's and Olympic discussion threads please. :p :drama:

U.S. pairs anyone? :encore:

Last edited:

olympic

Question - The US technically qualified 2 pairs and will send two to 18 Worlds, but we are limited to 1 pair due to IOC rules. Could the US have sent 2 pairs for purposes of the team competition, and then only qualified one pair for the individual competition?

Skittl1321

Question - The US technically qualified 2 pairs and will send two to 18 Worlds, but we are limited to 1 pair due to IOC rules. Could the US have sent 2 pairs for purposes of the team competition, and then only qualified one pair for the individual competition?

They didn't qualify 2 pairs for the Olympics. That IOC rule is part of the qualifying, there is no 'they technically did'- because of that limit.

So no, they couldn't have sent two pairs.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
No, members have to create their team solely from their individual competitors, unless they qualify only three disciplines for individual events and get to appoint a skater or team from the individual athletes quota for the TE only, like Israel did with Aimee Buchanan.

HeManSkaterDad

They didn't qualify 2 pairs for the Olympics. That IOC rule is part of the qualifying, there is no 'they technically did'- because of that limit.

Technically they didn't qualify two teams, but actually they did send two teams. I am sure it was mentioned somewhere else, but Kayne and O'Shea were there as the alternates and could have stepped on if the Knierims could not skate. However, my understanding is that once they stepped on the ice, they were the only pairs team allowed to compete for the US.

olympic

I didn’t say that the US qualified 2 pairs for the Olympics. I mentioned that the US qualified 2 teams for Worlds. My understanding is that the US missed 2 entries at Olympics (but got 2 for Worlds) due to the limited no. of slots available at the Olympics. I didn’t understand but @kwanfan1818 explained it for me really well - the rules are such that a country has to form its teams from whoever qualified for the Olympic individual competition

Cleo1782

Technically they didn't qualify two teams, but actually they did send two teams. I am sure it was mentioned somewhere else, but Kayne and O'Shea were there as the alternates and could have stepped on if the Knierims could not skate. However, my understanding is that once they stepped on the ice, they were the only pairs team allowed to compete for the US.

Technically, Alexa and Chris could have done the team event and if they were injured in between the te and the ie (before the SP draw) Kayne and O'Shea could have competed in the IE. That's is why K/O were required to be there until after the SP draw. But if, for example, Alexa and Chris got injured in between the SP and LP in the team event, K/O could not step in to do the long.

Skittl1321

I didn’t say that the US qualified 2 pairs for the Olympics. I mentioned that the US qualified 2 teams for Worlds. My understanding is that the US missed 2 entries at Olympics (but got 2 for Worlds) due to the limited no. of slots available at the Olympics. I didn’t understand but @kwanfan1818 explained it for me really well - the rules are such that a country has to form its teams from whoever qualified for the Olympic individual competition

You said they technically qualified 2 pairs. They didn't. They qualified one. They qualified two to Worlds, a different event with different qualifications

olympic

You said they technically qualified 2 pairs. They didn't. They qualified one. They qualified two to Worlds, a different event with different qualifications

Please reread the first part of the first sentence of my original post. I state that the US qualified 2 pairs and will send 2 pairs to Worlds. It means Worlds, not Olympics. It could have been phrased a little better. I’m not going to debate this though

Skittl1321

Technically they didn't qualify two teams, but actually they did send two teams. I am sure it was mentioned somewhere else, but Kayne and O'Shea were there as the alternates and could have stepped on if the Knierims could not skate.

Your right, they did send an alternate. I should have changed that word to "entered".

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Alexa was down to 80 pounds:wideeyes: I knew she was gravely I’ll and lost weight, but oh dear.....

I adore Alexa and Chris and their attitude and could care less about SBS jumps at this moment. And the last thing I thought about after reading the article was the photo, really? :huh:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
^^^ I saw the photo first, before I read the entire article..

SO, yeah. I almost feel like The Post chose that photo on purpose.. otherwise why would they do that? Unless they wanted to maybe humiliate. Poor taste.

I know jay-jay is in fashion these days but not plastered on my news. Grazie.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
^^^ I saw the photo first, before I read the entire article..

SO, yeah. I almost feel like The Post chose that photo on purpose.. otherwise why would they do that? Unless they wanted to maybe humiliate. Poor taste.

I know jay-jay is in fashion these days but not plastered on my news. Grazie.

Understood. ;) Not my first choice either, so maybe the reaction is recency bias?
Anyway, I hope Alexa and Chris enjoy the rest of their time at the Olys, with competition out of the way.....

aftershocks

Banned Member
coughdon'tmentiontheBarbieGirlprogramcough

Wasn't that Paetsch/Nuss' exhibition?

Oh well, the current Olympic gold medalist in pairs (& five time World champion, two-time Olympic bronze medalist with Robin Szolkowy) also skated to a Barbie Girl exhibition with Robin shortly after 2010 Olympics. :D Not bad by them either. They could skate to anything and make it fun: :) Altho' I'm sure there are fans who might say, 'What were they thinking?' ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNtp2aOTbgs

Ashley Cain tweets about the upcoming Skate, Dance, Dream annual show in Mentor, Ohio. Ashley & Timothy will be there, along with Kimmie Meissner, et al. Wouldn't you know, I'm gonna be out of town that week. :( I would so be there if I could, just to see Ash & Tim live. It's also a good cause to support, developed by former U.S. competitive skater, Parker Pennington, who is from Northeast Ohio. :)

https://twitter.com/icegirlash/status/964530801600757761

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/skate-...presented-by-aspen-dental-tickets-40061041654

https://www.alignable.com/westlake-...ts-skate-dance-dream-show-production-apr-2018

http://skatedancedream.com/newsdd/

Last edited:

NadineWhite

I'm so glad the Knierims earned an Olympic Bronze Medal in the Team Event. Here's wishing them the very best in whatever they choose to do in the future! BRAVA! :40beers:

ps: I thought it was funny when Alexa said the only thing that could top skating at the Olympics on Valentine's Day was to have a baby on Valentine's Day, as during their skate I honestly was thinking a baby is next. ;)

D

Deleted member 40371

Technically, Alexa and Chris could have done the team event and if they were injured in between the te and the ie (before the SP draw) Kayne and O'Shea could have competed in the IE. That's is why K/O were required to be there until after the SP draw. But if, for example, Alexa and Chris got injured in between the SP and LP in the team event, K/O could not step in to do the long.
No Evgeny, you can not substitute after the TE with Kovtun. If you are injured after or during the TE, there will not be an entry for the individual event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information