Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
I noticed that Amelia Jackson is scheduled to compete in the senior ladies event at the Bosphorus Cup.
That happened already (mid-December 2017 in Istanbul) - Amelia was looking for her 4CC SP minimum score but fell short there. However, she did win the bronze medal :): http://www.icesportstr.com/data/competitions/21/results/CAT006RS.HTM

Andrews Dodds posted this 2 days ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/BeJfvz0F7xB/?hl=en&taken-by=andrew_dodds
"All ready for the next competition. Super excited to be going back to Taipei for 4CC. Going to be the first person to compete in Singles and Ice Dance at the same Championship event!?!"

starrynight

I was wondering if there was any more news about a future 4CC being hosted in Australia? Is that a confirmed thing or is it just a pitch at the moment? A little bit like having the GPFs in Madrid I think that having a nice warm summer 4CC would be a novelty for the skaters and would be a popular event.

Sedge

Was the coach listed as Brendan took his starting position in the SP coreect?
It said Tammy Gambill.
I thought he was with Morozov.

starrynight

Morozov was just yesterday with Weaver/Poje at a pre-Olympics press conference at the Ice House in New Jersey, so it seems like he is remaining there to train WP ahead of the Olympics (rather than head out to 4CC early).

skatingguy

decently

Sylvia

TBD
USFS has yet to issue a press release but 2019 4CC has been moved to Anaheim, California: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ates-locations-2019-4cc-to-anaheim-ca.102069/

As of June 2017, the ISU has published provisional allotments of ISU Championships through 2020.

Posted in this thread back on Aug. 24, 2017 (Ted Barton's interview with Peter Lynch was the first public mention of a future 4CC bid):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuY2WxxNaeg

The cat is out of the bag.

ISA and ISV are working towards bidding for a future Four Continents event, to be potentially hosted at the O'Brien Group Arena in Melbourne.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Was the coach listed as Brendan took his starting position in the SP coreect?
It said Tammy Gambill.
I thought he was with Morozov.
I noticed that as well. I checked his ISU bio and it lists Morozov as his current coach and Gambill as a previous coach, so I'm guessing they used a stored/not updated caption for the TV feed. Andrei Pachin (who coaches Alexandrovskaya & Windsor) sat with Brendan in the Kiss & Cry yesterday.

Seerek

I would think Beijing gets 2021 Four Continents as the Olympic Test Event, so maybe 2022 Four Continents in Australia?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Article on Alexandrovskaya & Windsor from the Sydney Morning Herald (yay, something in the mainstream media): http://www.smh.com.au/sport/olympic...katerina-alexandrovskaya-20180202-h0t2ti.html

What a nice article!

Chantelle and Andrew got their Worlds TES minimums at the Torun Cup this weekend! I believe it will be the first time since 2006, and the first time ever since the TES minimums were introduced, that Australia will field a full Worlds team!!!!!!!

And Amelia won the Junior Ladies at the Reykjavik Games, and Katie won silver in the Senior Ladies! Look at Team Australia go!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Will Andrew Dodds continue to train singles?

Hard to say.

Other than hoping to make the Olympics this year, they really didn't seem to indicate in any of the articles written about them, what their long term goals were as a team. I believe Andrew's aim as a singles skater was to get the minimum TES at the world level.

But, given how quickly Kerry and Dodds have gelled together, and that they live in different cities, Andrew may eventually need to choose one or the other to make the most of his talent.

Last edited:

misskarne

Will Andrew Dodds continue to train singles?

Hard to say. I haven't heard anything. But I can understand why the temptation would be there for him. As of now, he's still the second-best male singles skater in Australia. His performance at Nationals was superhuman. Even at 4CC where he wasn't perfect, he was still setting PBs. He won the PCS at Nationals. Oh yes, I would completely understand if he was tempted to continue doing both.

starrynight

I can understand how sometimes some skaters train pairs and singles at the same time.. as you can transfer the jumps and spins between the two. But do many compete at a high level in both dance and singles?

Hard to say.

But, given how quickly Kerry and Dodds have gelled together, and that they live in different cities, Andrew may eventually need to choose one or the other to make the most of his talent.

They live in seperate cities and yet have managed to make the World TES minimum in their first year? Gee. I would be interested to see what they could manage if they based themselves together and trained a full dance schedule.

misskarne

I think it's this one that Harley just retweeted?
https://twitter.com/duncs_h/status/960724040347353089

The off-ice 3Tw looked GREAT!

This story is too frickin' cute, I can't even. Katia is adorable.

I knew this would be the story that would get the airplay, but I underestimated just how much. Great to see it getting lots of attention!

EDIT: Ooof, some of the wording in that Olympic Channel one has me cringing. "Australian Aborigine" probably ought to be "Indigenous Australian" or "Aboriginal Australian".

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
In Melbourne the newsreader called Harley a "she" before they ran the story. After the story he then said "he" with a smile on his face knowing he got Harley's gender incorrect. Quite funny.

nimi

In Melbourne the newsreader called Harley a "she" before they ran the story.
Oh lordy... Head, meet desk.

I've never heard of a girl called 'Harley' but is that actually a thing in Australia? Like, amongst all the Kylies and Haylees are there also a few female Harleys thrown in for a good measure?

Or is this just a doofus who thinks that all figure skaters must be female by default, even if they have a traditionally male name? :rolleyes:

starrynight

I've met a female Harley before (actually the only Harley I've met). Her mother and father liked motorcycles a lot. ;) For that reason, I've never really considered it to be a particularly gender specific name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information