Ross Miner Out Of Olympic Team (OFFICIAL)

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I'm getting the impression from Brennan's tone and question that she is ticked about this decision; but how can she complain about this after practically fuming over Ashley not being selected over Karen?

Rippon must be on her bad list for some reason. Or she just likes to be contrary.

Seerek

If the USFSA is going to stick with BOW criteria, then Jason's 7th 2017 Worlds/2017-18 Grand Prix Final qualification helped...but only enough to boost him up to 1st alternate.

Gazpacho

We were okay for a while, but putting Miner in the second alternate position behind Brown is what really got people :angryfire.
This certainly is the case for me. I'm okay with Rippon instead of Miner for the Olympics. I'm not okay with Miner not even being the first alternate. That really hints that the committee had decided in advance who they would consider, and Miner wasn't on that list.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I'm glad that Christine Brennan at least asked a tough question, because most of the questions were softball. Sam Auxier didn't answer satisfactorily either about what relevance the U.S. National championships has going forward.

At least Adam spoke about having texted Ross to show respect for Ross' great effort. Ross is a classy sportsman and very professional too. It's really got to be hard for his coach Mark Mitchell though seeing something similar happen to a student of his. I hope this doesn't sully their enjoyment of Ross' achievement in his final season.

I agree that Ross should have at least been the first alternate. Did they announce World and 4CCs teams?

caseyedwards

I'm getting the impression from Brennan's tone and question that she is ticked about this decision; but how can she complain about this after practically fuming over Ashley not being selected over Karen?
She is constantly doing this! She says she is anti doping but stridently defended Justin Gatlin because he’s from the US and US can be trusted on anti doping!! She actually wrote that!

vesperholly

Meghan Duhamel responded to Brennan's tweet about the then-rumored team:

"Totally love and support all these guys, but, I’ve got to wonder. Why not announce the team beforehand? Why both holding nationals and having results there? I kinda feel like it’s giving skaters, like Ross, false hope. #wisheveryonecouldgo"

Because with a good skate, Jason could have definitely gone? You still have to show up at Nationals and skate well enough to be considered. Like Skate Canada wouldn't do the exact same thing if D/R bombed and finished 4th.

She does also reply later on: "Once again I’m totally supporting this decision. Just sad for Ross because I’m sure he felt like a second place finish was enough."

I am sure Ross came into Nationals not even really thinking he had a shot, which makes it all the more sad.

caseyedwards

I'm glad that Christine Brennan at least asked a tough question, because most of the questions were softball. Sam Auxier didn't answer satisfactorily either about what relevance the U.S. National championships has going forward.

At least Adam spoke about having texted Ross to show respect for Ross' great effort. Ross is a classy sportsman and very professional too. It's really got to be hard for his coach Mark Mitchell though seeing something similar happen to a student of his. I hope this doesn't sully their enjoyment of Ross' achievement in his final season.

I agree that Ross should have at least been the first alternate. Did they announce World and 4CCs teams?
Oh he texted! Too bad did so horribly and is a grotesque theif

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
One problem with a strong points system is opportunities are limited. What if Zhou was the one in question? He doesn't have a 4CC or World result because USFS skipped him last year, not because he didn't do well there.
They would have to give more weight to junior stuff if they don't want to skip over younger skaters.

C

casken

It would be helpful if before the event started they made a list of skaters who needed to win to have any shot of going on to the Olympics, becuase from what the USFSA are saying, that was Miner's only shot.

At least people will know where they stand and what they are competing for.

shady82

Tbh the judges shot the committee in the foot by placing Ross 2nd overall. You could argue well that Vincent was better than Ross in this competition. Yes, intl judges love to dish out URs to Vincent but he still landed A LOT of quads and his PCS are not as inadequate as many say. Having Ross 3rd overall is also justifiable and would make the final selection less controversial. But I am also bummed Ross is not even 1st alternate. Wow.

I believe the Fed should still send Vincent to Worlds, its better insurance for top 10 than Ross and Vincent needs experience.

Adam earned his spot on the team. It was not his best long, but it was not a disaster and he would probably still score 250+ internationally and make top 10 at Worlds skating this way.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Jason is really, really liked by the international judges, in many comps he has top-three PCS even if his TES keeps him off the podium. That's probably the cold-blooded assessment of the committee, just in case one of the other three is injured i the next month.

But I agree Ross should be first alternate, this was unnecessarily cruel and something is wrong with Jason anyway.

skateboy

Wasn't Brennan one of the ones proclaiming Ashley as a lock for the team, heading into Nationals?? She may just be embarrassed.

Bellanca

Well, this decision has put a bit of a damper on Adam's upcoming Olympic experience because now he has the unenviable task of justifying and defending the committee's decision which can become wearisome pretty quickly. The press will be asking him questions about it @ every interview he does from here on out.

BittyBug

Disgusted
It would be helpful if before the event started they made a list of skaters who needed to win to have any shot of going on to the Olympics, becuase from what the USFSA are saying, that was Miner's only shot.

At least people will know where they stand and what they are competing for.
Why do you assume they didn't know? The criteria were published at the start of the season.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Tbh the judges shot the committee in the foot by placing Ross 2nd overall. You could argue well that Vincent was better than Ross in this competition. Yes, intl judges love to dish out URs to Vincent but he still landed A LOT of quads and his PCS are not as inadequate as many say. Having Ross 3rd overall is also justifiable and would make the final selection less controversial. But I am also bummed Ross is not even 1st alternate. Wow.

My theory is that the technical panel knew Vincent skated extremely well, but didn't want to get themselves into a predicament with crazy results ( :lol: ) so all of his jumps were put under the microscope. Remember, his technical score dropped something like 20 points from the end of the program to all the < and << calls and reduced GOE's. I think they did this so that the road to the Olympics would be easier for both Adam and Jason. But that really backfired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information