The Skating Lesson

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Obviously I don't know any of the details why he got a supposed 300 messages, but some of the replies to his Tweet from the 'fans' are ironic and hilarious. I don't watch them, but every time I've given in to watch a few minutes here or there, it's been basically a whine-fest about all the things that are so awful with figure skating, and how this or that skater wasted their time, the commentators wasted their time by being forced to listen to a feed with said commentators, the costumes and music choices limited their abilities to think correctly because everything was SO BAD, etc etc. Really, I don't think there's much positive said about many skaters but maybe I've just missed all of it. So now here's one instance of a skater or a team high up in the sport not having any of it and he's crying about it.

I have a feeling that Dave was getting a lot of behind the scenes info from Kori Ade and that is no longer happening. If not, I'm sure they had some kind of 'friendship'. But like several others in the sport that no longer want anything to do with The Skating Lesson, I don't know why Dave (and co., here being Jonathan) expect to be all buddy-buddy, get info and then say 'my friend so and so told me all this hot news casually in our Sunday text session!', and then go talk about how everything said skater and camp does is just so bad or mockable.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I don't watch or listen to TSL unless FSU lets me know about something (like Dave's tweet meltdown) that is trainwreck-worthy.

Crying in a bathroom in Grenoble? Puh-leeze. :blah:And if Kori and Rohene actually are telling Dave and Co. to futz off, good for them. :respec:
Most amusing are the Dave and Co. sycophants, on this and every other tweetstorm, replying to TSL, oh Dave, you're so courageous, oh Dave, you speak truth to power, oh Dave, the skating world needs you....
I don't think so, Tim....:rolleyes:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I’m pretty sure “Crying in a bathroom in Grenoble” is the next Steps comeback single. :lol:

That tweet (and responses) reads like it was written by a melodramatic 16 year old, not someone twice that age. :rolleyes: Some people thrive on drama.

Last edited:

Willin

Omg one of the replies literally reads "Kori has always been fake anyway. Her camp is NOT all sunshine. She stunts people's growth". Wait, so is she giving 5-year-olds tons of coffee or something?

Also, it's notable that even two of his supporters are demanding screenshots as proof, but none are provided still. It's so disappointing to see so many people blindly supporting him - I've only seen a couple replies calling him out for saying awful comments about skaters. Seriously, he should know by now that if he's going to say awful things about people in a public sphere, he should be prepared for criticism. We all post in a forum much smaller than his audience is and we all face criticism.

Cleo1782

I would assume they are probably waiting for their recap to get into this. It is all very unclear to me. It seems weird to me that Jonathan would make something like that up randomly, but I also find it hard to believe Kori and Rohene sent 300 facebook messages. Or that Kori and Rohene really care what TSL thinks. I mean I will probably watch their show this week, which is what I think this is all about.

mysticchic

Real journalist don't make them a part of the story. Yes, you become friends and as an insider, you walk a fine line of what should be filtered for the public. if you are friends with a coach/skater/judge that is fine, and they may tell you something that wasn't meant to be told. People fight, disagree have falling outs. Dave and company need to decide if they are real journalist or wanna be insiders/gossips.
There are 2 sides to every story. We are hearing Jonathan's. Maybe they broke confidence. Who knows. But if they still want to claim being skating journalist, then they have to take the good with the bad. They need to be able to draw the line when someone tells them something and they put it out there. There will be repercussions.
They have really shot themselves in the foot with the Gracie thing. I know the skaters are upset that Dave (who is supposed to be an insider) put out her families dirty laundry. All to show off they were insiders. If you are going to be that kind of "journalist" then you need to accept the good with the bad. The skaters circled the wagons on them and froze them out.
Coaches are very protective of their skaters and this is an Olympic year. A true insider/friend knows when to release information. Everything is carefully released for their skaters image. There are sponsors, managers and the governing body that have to be informed. By repeating something you were told could cost the skater a sponsor or the coach a contact.
You also have to let the bad roll off of you and not make it about you vs her on twitter. Knowing Kori, she is being momma bear about something if it pertains to one of her skaters. I don't see Phil Hersh pulling the "poor me so and so coach is mad at me."
Then again, these 2 are gossips and not real journalist and kori should have treated them as such from the beginning. Flame me all you want but this is pretty childish. Your fans will back you, but then all you have left is 2nd hand knowledge of things. You lost your contact that you worked to build.

skateboy

Jonathan tweeted: "I’m crying in a bathroom in Grenoble. Because Kori Ade and Rohene Ward are assholes."

Jonathan's feelings may be hurt, but he just lost ALL my respect for saying this on social media. What is he, 12?

Truth be told, I stopped watching TSL shortly after Jonathan joined the team. And, while I don't know Kori, I do know Rohene. He would never lash out for nothing.

MAXSwagg

Where did Dave ever say he was trying to be a "journalist?" Anyway. Kori, I find it hard to believe. Rohene, I don't. He seems like an...odd person, and I have this perception that he is incredibly self-absorbed and has an ego (the whole Tristan and Isolde pants thing, which Kori even talked about Rohene's resistance). As far as I'm concerned, Dave, Jenny, Jonathan, etc. have never said anything bad about that group and certainly never "bashed" them. But let's be real. Jason has made no significant progress in 5 years. They've said things like this, but that is not bashing. It's the truth. I'm sure Kori and her group are feeling the pressure in this Olympic year and pressure can make people snap.

mysticchic

Where did Dave ever say he was trying to be a "journalist?" Anyway. Kori, I find it hard to believe. Rohene, I don't. He seems like an...odd person, and I have this perception that he is incredibly self-absorbed and has an ego (the whole Tristan and Isolde pants thing, which Kori even talked about Rohene's resistance). As far as I'm concerned, Dave, Jenny, Jonathan, etc. have never said anything bad about that group and certainly never "bashed" them. But let's be real. Jason has made no significant progress in 5 years. They've said things like this, but that is not bashing. It's the truth. I'm sure Kori and her group are feeling the pressure in this Olympic year and pressure can make people snap.
oh please Dave, I mean Max, Dave has always wanted to be a journalist. Applying for passes as a journalist I think that says it all. Dave thinks that makes him cool.
I spent most of my life working as a full time/free lance journalist for news shows and networks. Back when I started we did it to tell stories and to get the word out. it's not for the faint of heart and it's hard work. yes, it is cool to see a body of your work on TV and ego is involved. But there isn't a lot of glory in it. You worked sources and there is a level of trust and give and take. You don't just run out there and tell everything you know or think you know. There are these pesky things called ethics.
I was a photographer for figure skating outlets and I knew/know a lot of things about the inside I would never tell. I like to gossip with others in the know, but i would never betray a trust and i was always welcome at the rinks by the coaches, and skaters. . But you/I felt honored that i was included in a lot of things. in the beginning i was asked not to reveal something and i knew there was a reason for it. I built trust that way. when i needed photos, all i had to do was ask. The skaters were happy to do a shoot. Most time these kids have worked a life time to get to where they are at and their families have given up everything to make a dream come true.
They work hard on their images. a 5k sponsor means a lot to these people. Not being known gay sometimes is important. That one skater is also carry a sponsor or set of sponsors, a coach, rink, skate club, family, agent, skate show opportunities, and their future earnings.
And here come TSL who wants to be cool and have a posse makes friends, gets inside and then uses the knowledge to be the in the know cool kid. I heard he was signing autographs. It's no longer about the skater. it's about Dave's ego and trying to control things. the things I have heard on his show about skaters really pisses me off. and If this is Dave, this goes back to the old auntie Joyce days.
Pissing matches over backstage passes at St Lake city pretty much told me where this was heading all along. I have tried to listen, but i don't have 2 hours let alone 10 minutes to try and wade through inside jokes, and then the negativity that goes along with the skaters you don't like or you have an issue with. Pretty soon, all bridges will be burned and you won't have that inside infor any more. You can look back on stunts like this to tell you why no one is talking to you.
Kori, talks to other coaches and skaters. They will stand next to each other and freeze you out.

MAXSwagg

oh please Dave, I mean Max, Dave has always wanted to be a journalist. Applying for passes as a journalist I think that says it all. Dave thinks that makes him cool.
I spent most of my life working as a full time/free lance journalist for news shows and networks. Back when I started we did it to tell stories and to get the word out. it's not for the faint of heart and it's hard work. yes, it is cool to see a body of your work on TV and ego is involved. But there isn't a lot of glory in it. You worked sources and there is a level of trust and give and take. You don't just run out there and tell everything you know or think you know. There are these pesky things called ethics.
I was a photographer for figure skating outlets and I knew/know a lot of things about the inside I would never tell. I like to gossip with others in the know, but i would never betray a trust and i was always welcome at the rinks by the coaches, and skaters. . But you/I felt honored that i was included in a lot of things. in the beginning i was asked not to reveal something and i knew there was a reason for it. I built trust that way. when i needed photos, all i had to do was ask. The skaters were happy to do a shoot. Most time these kids have worked a life time to get to where they are at and their families have given up everything to make a dream come true.
They work hard on their images. a 5k sponsor means a lot to these people. Not being known gay sometimes is important. That one skater is also carry a sponsor or set of sponsors, a coach, rink, skate club, family, agent, skate show opportunities, and their future earnings.
And here come TSL who wants to be cool and have a posse makes friends, gets inside and then uses the knowledge to be the in the know cool kid. I heard he was signing autographs. It's no longer about the skater. it's about Dave's ego and trying to control things. the things I have heard on his show about skaters really pisses me off. and If this is Dave, this goes back to the old auntie Joyce days.
Pissing matches over backstage passes at St Lake city pretty much told me where this was heading all along. I have tried to listen, but i don't have 2 hours let alone 10 minutes to try and wade through inside jokes, and then the negativity that goes along with the skaters you don't like or you have an issue with. Pretty soon, all bridges will be burned and you won't have that inside infor any more. You can look back on stunts like this to tell you why no one is talking to you.
Kori, talks to other coaches and skaters. They will stand next to each other and freeze you out.

Excuse me, sir, but my name isn't Max or Dave, you idiot. Some - or at least what I could understand - of this I agree with, and some is bogus spew...

mysticchic

Excuse me, sir, but name isn't Max or Dave, you idiot. Some - or at least what I could understand - of this I agree with, and some is bogus spew...
Well aren't you special. Oh no, maybe i should go and tweet you called me an idiot. But if it makes you feel better, I am recovering from a bad brain injury and am trying my best to put things into words. I'm not going to get into a name calling thing with you. But the people who have known me for years on here, who know me, will see exactly who you are. I have references, to prove what I spent 35+ years for a living. i was just behind the camera. My job title was field producer. When they (the networks) went live to somewhere, my job was being in charge of everything you saw at the scene. I was never in it for the glory.

MAXSwagg

Well aren't you special. Oh no, maybe i should go and tweet you called me an idiot. But if it makes you feel better, I am recovering from a bad brain injury and am trying my best to put things into words. I'm not going to get into a name calling thing with you. But the people who have known me for years on here, who know me, will see exactly who you are. I have references, to prove what I spent 35+ years for a living. i was just behind the camera. My job title was field producer. When they (the networks) went live to somewhere, my job was being in charge of everything you saw at the scene. I was never in it for the glory.

Oh, that could explain it. I hope your recovery continues.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
People in the reply chain are tagging US Figure Skating and PSA.

I don't believe it for a second. I've met both of them and they are very nice, very genuine people who have a clear love of the sport. This is a clear attempt at attention-seeking and I'll wager they've been cut off by 7K and are now unhappy about it.

And considering some of the shit they've said about the skaters over the years, whatever's upset him is complete karmic justice.

Anyasnake

Just a question : why woud they lie about that ? Because I don't see what they can get from this...
And have Kori and Rohene denied anything yet ?
:wall: Genuienely trying to understand here. Because it's okay to say their "fans" are dumbly defending them, it's another when people here do the exact same with Kori and Rohene.
I mean, I would even understand if people will do that with Dave (not insults but being called out of course)... but certainly not Jonathan.
(Again I'm not taking any sides. Just trying to understand)

misskarne

Just a question : why woud they lie about that ? Because I don't see what they can get from this...

Attention. Pity-money from their groupies. Maybe they're angling at getting something from USFS out of it. Or maybe they're just out for petty revenge on Kori and Rohene, if those two have shut down and refused to give them insider information. I wouldn't be saying a goddamn word to either of them.

I just can't believe they, of all people, have the hide to whine about bullying when that's basically all they do.

Anyasnake

Attention. Pity-money from their groupies. Maybe they're angling at getting something from USFS out of it. Or maybe they're just out for petty revenge on Kori and Rohene, if those two have shut down and refused to give them insider information. I wouldn't be saying a goddamn word to either of them.

I just can't believe they, of all people, have the hide to whine about bullying when that's basically all they do.
They do criticize a lot but never personally, they trash programs from time to time, but never the person itself.
I guess it helps that I only follow closely the Ice Dance part... they're usually nicer there.
Lying about it wouldn't make any sense that's why I find the situation weird. If this blows out of proportion, Kori and Rohene might want to respond though.

misskarne

They do criticize a lot but never personally, they trash programs from time to time, but never the person itself.

Dave once effectively called Max a liar and laughed in his face. They laughed at Katia and Harley's music and refused to acknowledge their achievement. They've made slights against Joshua's work ethic, had pops at Liza and pretty much every Russian lady and called them dopers, and refused to acknowledge the existence of basically anyone outside of the top 6. They've called ladies fat and out of shape. They've shared personal details about skaters' lives that shouldn't have been shared on a public forum.

The narrative that TSL don't attack skaters personally is a complete fabrication.

GullyGirl84

Yeah, I've always thought their "We are just covering figure skating like how other sports get covered, so that it can get taken seriously" really glazes over the fact that their criticisms do often get very personal/personality based (not just talking about the behind the scenes gossip, but they make a lot of implications in their shows that get kind of :confused:) . I can think of lots of other things off of the top of my head (I remember before Grant and Caroline interviewed with them, Jenny and Dave made some kind of comment about how funny they thought it was that Caroline and Grant were dating/implied that Grant was gay). If that's going to be your shtick, you have to embrace it, and the "I'm crying in a bathroom because I'm getting Facebook messages" thing is surprising to me. It makes me appreciate the mental toughness of all of the skaters who are constantly putting themselves out there on the big stage and absorbing/letting criticism roll of their backs. I'll also say that some skating fans do over-react to certain things they say that I don't take as personal attacks on the skaters at all, but again, I can think of some things off the top of my head that I've thought have crossed the line. Also, you can agree or disagree with them talking about Gracie's family situation, but nothing that they tweeted about or talked about in reference to that was anything based on "insider" knowledge, only on what had been written about it in a national newspaper at that point. There was talk of that article on message boards for a long time before tsl brought it up, I was surprised it took so long tbh. Though you can argue that the whole chatter about what happened to Gracie at champ camp crossed into using insider knowledge to kick someone when they're down territory.

Obviously something happened, but what could really be so bad that it was causing him to be so personally upset? Dave seems more the type who just embraces the "bad boy of figure skating gossip-dom" image, and I would see him getting angry about an encounter/talking about it on his show, but Jonathan was saying after this that he was "done" with the sport...at the same time, Kori and Rohene should just ignore them, they really have much better things to do than to be messaging TSL and should just focus on their coaching....:scream:

Last edited:

Dolore

Johnathan spent the last few weeks bashing VM fans and Canadians in particular and now he complains about bullying?

Dave tweeted:
"You were so supportive & wonderful when my cohost couldn't handle skating."

Very classy to throw Jenny under the bus after she helped to build up TSL in the first place. She did all the editing and it were her connections that got them all the interviews. I don't blame Jenny at all for leaving TSL, she probably just couldn't handle Dave any longer.

And I remember how back in 2013 Dave insinuated the Shibs were bribing judges. His whole shtick has always been about personal attacks against skaters and sometimes even their families and Johnathan is no better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information