ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2017/18 Olympic season

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Last edited:

vesperholly

Dabin defeated Mariah at both 4CCs and Worlds, and Dabin was the highest ranked athlete from the previous Worlds without a second spot. I would say that both were top-level athletes meriting an invitation.
But that was later in the same season, so no way to know that Dabin could beat Mariah. Dabin was on the Junior circuit in 15-16 and had finished 8th at 2016 4CC and 14th at 2016 Worlds at the time that she was chosen for a GP.

Dobre

But that was later in the same season, so no way to know that Dabin could beat Mariah. Dabin was on the Junior circuit in 15-16 and had finished 8th at 2016 4CC and 14th at 2016 Worlds at the time that she was chosen for a GP.

There were plenty of signs that Dabin could be competitive with Mariah. Dabin had two medals from the junior circuit the year before--one of them over Higuchi in head-to-head competition. She had the highest placement at the 2016 Worlds of an athlete without a second invitation--competing a clean short and a free skate that left points on the table there when she missed her triple triple combination. She had a clean free skate and a medal at an early senior B last season and a clean free skate at Skate Canada. Mariah had a history of inconsistency and a very low finish at U.S. Nationals the season before. Her silver medal was terrific, but it was one event. If Japan had wanted to invite a low-level athlete, they could easily have invited one much less competitive than either Dabin or Mariah.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Dabin defeated Mariah at both 4CCs and Worlds, and Dabin was the highest ranked athlete from the previous Worlds without a second spot. I would say that both were top-level athletes meriting an invitation.

Yes, but at the time, Bell was riding the wave of a Skate America silver medal, and in fact beat Ashley Wagner (who was the current world silver medalist) in the free skate.

My point was not whether Choi was the higher ranked athlete without a second spot, but that Bell was a much bigger threat to the Japanese federation, and Miyahara's chances of not making the Grand Prix Final. (Satoko had won a bronze at Skate Canada, and needed to place at least second at NHK for that to happen.)

I believe it is at the discretion of the host federation, whom they choose to invite when a replacement skater is needed.

For the record, Choi finished 9th at NHK.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Ergh, did it have to be Morozov?

Considering his move to the US was one of the things he said contributed to him not really being ready for Sochi, this is even ballsier. Not sure I'm particularly happy about this. Let's see how he goes.

forgot about Shanghai Trophy.

I guess with Brendan being touted as an outside shot for a medal at Skate Canada didn't help matters. Be interesting to see how he does on home ice at Nationals, with his mom coaching him by the boards.

barbarafan

I guess with Brendan being touted as an outside shot for a medal at Skate Canada didn't help matters. Be interesting to see how he does on home ice at Nationals, with his mom coaching him by the boards.
in all fairness...Morozov really brought Denis Ten along when he was a hot mess and made lots of improvements. Ten was plagued with injuries so is still not at the top. He has really helped Kaitlyn &Andrew and when in Russia last yr stayed in dormitories & spent lots of time on the ice..lots of focus there.Morozov also spends part of the year in the US. Hopefully he saw something that he thought would help him and it works out. We can only wait and see. Maybe Morozov will come to his nationals.

hanca

Values her privacy
Morozov was also pretty good with Takahasi, with Amodio and with Ando. He is very good at tweaking the programs that it feels comfortable to the skaters, which improves their jump consistency. I don’t have a very high opinion of him as a person, but as a professional he knows what he is doing.

Dobre

My point was not whether Choi was the higher ranked athlete without a second spot, but that Bell was a much bigger threat to the Japanese federation, and Miyahara's chances of not making the Grand Prix Final.

Your point was that Japan skipped past the threat in order to invite a lower-level athlete. My point is that it is a poor example. This happens all the time, but it didn't happen with the ladies invitation to NHK last season. Choi wasn't a lower-level athlete on the list. She was as strong a candidate as anyone.

For the record, Mariah went to Tallinn Trophy at the same time and scored 167. A score that would have likewise put her 9th at NHK.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Your point was that Japan skipped past the threat in order to invite a lower-level athlete. My point is that it is a poor example. This happens all the time, but it didn't happen with the ladies invitation to NHK last season. Choi wasn't a lower-level athlete on the list. She was as strong a candidate as anyone.

For the record, Mariah went to Tallinn Trophy at the same time and scored 167. A score that would have likewise put her 9th at NHK.

We could argue this until the end of time if you like. I thought my example was good, considering how Bell had performed at Skate America. At Skate Canada, the second event in the series, Choi had not medalled and placed 7th. Based on that result, she was not a threat to Miyahara's path to the Grand Prix Final, irrespective of how Choi placed in Japan. Her total points from both events would not have been enough to displace Satoko.

I like Dabin Choi and Mariah Bell and I think both are very different yet equally excellent skaters. Ladies skating is such a crap shoot at times. Unless they are machines like Medvedeva, and even Evgenia isn't perfect, you simply can't know how they will skate before they skate.

But be happy, man. Choi got the invitation,

Sad to think it is a year later, and none of the three (for entirely separate reasons) are skating their best.

Hindsight is such a gift and a curse at times.

Last edited:

binbinwinwin

Last edited:

seabm7

http://sports.naver.com/general/news/read.nhn?oid=001&aid=0009689576

Jun Hwan Cha is withdrawing from Skate America to focus on recovering from injuries and preparing for the Domestic Korean Ranking Competition which will go towards determining who will go to the Olympics.

According to the KSU regulation, one has to obtain the minimum TES for the Worlds before the National Championships. This implies that he gave up the World ticket. Instead he simply concentrates on the recovery from the injury and the Olympic selection competitions.

Marco

Is the "domestic competition" Nationals? I wonder if he is able to compete at the domestic competition and then go to some other international for the minimum score before he competes at Nationals.

Can he compete at the Olympics and then back to Jr Worlds?

seabm7

Is the "domestic competition" Nationals? I wonder if he is able to compete at the domestic competition and then go to some other international for the minimum score before he competes at Nationals.

The schedule is very tight.

Ranking competition (The 2nd stage of Olympics selection) December 1-3

Korean National (The final stage of the Olympics selection) Usually the first week of January

Can he compete at the Olympics and then back to Jr Worlds?

That's a good question. I think that's up to him.

meggonzo

Banned Member
http://sports.naver.com/general/news/read.nhn?oid=001&aid=0009689576

Jun Hwan Cha is withdrawing from Skate America to focus on recovering from injuries and preparing for the Domestic Korean Ranking Competition which will go towards determining who will go to the Olympics.

https://weibo.com/1991083414/FvflQv...&mod=weibotime&type=comment#_rnd1510811749976

Yan Han posted the above on his Weibo yesterday saying "See you Skate America"

So does that mean Han Yan is replacing him at SA?

Marco

The schedule is very tight.

Ranking competition (The 2nd stage of Olympics selection) December 1-3

Korean National (The final stage of the Olympics selection) Usually the first week of January

Zagreb is Dec 6-9 and there is another event in Turkey in mid Dec.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
If I understand the system correctly, the GP hosts pay for the flights and hotels of the skaters, but for international competitions, including the CS events, the skater or their Fed has to pay, and the Fed has to submit the application, so at least has to rubberstamp it, if the skater is paying.

I'm not sure if that would be an issue for them, or if there's internal :mitchell: going on for or against Cha.

It's a silly policy, because if chosen for the Olympics, he might make the minimum there, and then they won't send him to Worlds, when he has the best, if outside, chance to earn two spots for Korean Men. (Although not in time for their showcase Olympics.)

Again, I'm not sure if there's internal :mitchell: going on to split the spoils.

shuilee

USA still does not know how to politik. :wall: Inviting Han Yan will make it harder for Rippon to qualify for GPF. Argh!!! I don't see other federations being so nice to invite Mariah Bell last year.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
USA still does not know how to politik. :wall: Inviting Han Yan will make it harder for Rippon to qualify for GPF. Argh!!! I don't see other federations being so nice to invite Mariah Bell last year.

USA Feds have always needed to take a page from the Russian Feds handbook.

I think USFSA always shoots itself in the foot.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!

Or maybe Rippon not qualifying is what they want? Is China judging the dance or mens event at the Olympics?

barbarafan

I for one am very happy Han Yan gets a break! He's been working so much harder in the last year, only to be derailed by injuries. Maybe he can use this to help him get back on track for the Olympics and beyond.

Having had similiar injuries this year I would say he went through he**ll and although he must have been given the ok to skate again ..that only means he won't be further damaged by skating..he may still be in a lot of discomfort. So glad he got the spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information