The Mao cheer thread #3 - "For the love of skating"

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Mao has no WS points to lose from the 2014-15 season, so when those points are removed after this season, her WS ranking should remain inside the top 24 even if she doesn't compete again this season. (ETA: And even if she is not in the top 24 WS or SB lists) I really think she will have the opportunity again to compete at two Grand Prix events next fall as long as she's healthy. :)

BTW, Egna Spring Trophy used to be Gardena Spring Trophy. Last year, Gardena was moved to Egna for the first time, leading to the name change this year.
I'm not good at calculating points and had a vague impression she'll be surpassed by lower ranked skaters who skate at 4CC/Euro/Worlds to be pushed out of top 24 in WS or SB. IIRC Japanese articles said so too. But it's very much encouraging to me that our Sylvia says she'll be remain within top 24 in the end of this season. If so, she'll be assigned to one GP event at least. :cheer:

Hopefully JSF will lobby in her favor so that she'll be invited to GP events scheduled around Chubu Regional and West Japan Sectional. :D

And the story comes back to her health again. :drama:

chapis

I'm not good at calculating points and had a vague impression she'll be surpassed by lower ranked skaters who skate at 4CC/Euro/Worlds to be pushed out of top 24 in WS or SB. IIRC Japanese articles said so too. But it's very much encouraging to me that our Sylvia says she'll be remain within top 24 in the end of this season. If so, she'll be assigned to one GP event at least. :cheer:

Hopefully JSF will lobby in her favor so that she'll be invited to GP events scheduled around Chubu Regional and West Japan Sectional. :D

And the story comes back to her health again. :drama:

it is not probable that Mao get NHK, right? because japanese federation wont want to Satoko and Mao fighting for medals, except if Mao dont get another invitation.
I guess the most probables are China and France because they have not big names in ladies. I would love if she gets USA again or Canada. Though I think every federation would be very happy with Mao because many fans travel just to see her.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
it is not probable that Mao get NHK, right? because japanese federation wont want to Satoko and Mao fighting for medals, except if Mao dont get another invitation.

This season's calendar supposedly related to her next season's competitions
(As placed 24th at Nationals she needs to win through Regionals and Sectionals to Nationals next season.)

Sept 21-24, (CS) Nebelhorn Trophy
Sesp 29-Oct 1, (CS) Ondrej Nepela Memorial
Sept 29-Oct 1, (CS) Autumn Classic International
Sept 30-Oct 2, Chubu Regional
Oct 6-9, (CS) Finlandia Trophy
Oct 21-23, SKAM
Oct 24-25, Western Sectional
Oct 30-Nov 1, Skate Canada
Oct 27-Nov 1, (CS) Ice Challenge
Nov 4-6, CoR
Nov 13-15, TdF
Nov 17-20, (CS) Warsaw Cup
Nov 18-20 CoC
Nov 25-27, NHK
Dec 7-10, (CS) Golden Spin
Dec 8-11, GP final
Dec 22-25, Japanese Nationals

I wish she'll stay within 24th on WS and get one spot for GP circuit at least. It'll make her certificated as a "A" rank athlete on Team Japan next season. And it makes the fed able to send her to CS competitions. (When Miki was out of Team Japan, reportedly someone in the fed contacted with German fed and asked them to invite her to their CS event, though.) I wish she'll be sent to any CS event within 2 weeks from Cubu Regional so that she'll be given bye to Chubu Regional - hopefully any of NT, ONM or ACI.

Hopefully she'll be assigned to AKAM or Skate Canada since they are within 2 weeks before/after Western Sectional so that she'll be given bye to Western Sectional. I don't know whether it'll be random draw or reversed order of WS ranking at Olympics at this point. If it'll be the reversed order, I think it's better for Mao to skate at a CS event than Sectional. Also it's most likely WS ranking will work in selection meeting for Olys.

And I wish CoC will invite her. She won't be bothered by jet lag and their ice is better than TdF. I felt sorry for her at TdF this season since she was taken her blades by ice at TdF and it was one of the reasons she made mistakes on jumps as well as step seq. That said, if China is not willing to invite her, TdF might invite her again when I consider Mao will bring TV rights/sponsor companies/fans to the French fed. If she's invited to two GP events, she'll be certificated back as a "special" ranking athlete on Team Japan.

NHK usually invite Japanese top 2 skaters plus an up-coming skater or comeback skater as a host pic. It usually doesn't work in favor of #2 skater - say Wakaba's PCS was lower at NHK than her first GP event out of Japan. And NHK is too close to GP final so it's not a good competition for a veteran skater like Mao anyways.

Last edited:

chapis

(As placed 24th at Nationals she needs to win through Regionals and Sectionals to Nationals next season.)

Oct 21-23, SKAM
Nov 13-15, TdF
Nov 18-20 CoC
Nov 25-27, NHK
Dec 8-11, GP final

I wish she'll stay within 24th on WS and get one spot for GP circuit at least. It'll make her certificated as a "A" rank athlete on Team Japan next season. And it makes the fed able to send her to CS competitions. (When Miki was out of Team Japan, reportedly someone in the fed contacted with German fed and asked them to invite her to their CS event, though.) I wish she'll be sent to any CS event within 2 weeks from Cubu Regional so that she'll be given bye to Chubu Regional - hopefully any of NT, ONM or ACI.

Hopefully she'll be assigned to AKAM or Scate Canada since they are within 2 weeks before/after Western Sectional so that she'll be given bye to Western Sectional. I don't know whether it'll be random draw or reversed order of WS ranking at Olympics at this point. If it'll be the reversed order, I think it's better for Mao to skate at a CH event than Sectional. Also it's most likely WS ranking will work in selection meeting for Olys.

And I wish CoC will invite her. She won't be bothered by jet lag and their ice is better than TdF. I felt sorry for her at TdF this season since she was taken her blades by ice at TdF and it was one of the reasons she made mistakes on jumps as well as step seq. That said, if China is not willing to invite her, TdF might invite her again when I consider Mao will bring TV rights/sponsor companies/fans to the French fed. If she's invited to two GP events, she'll be certificated back as a "special" ranking athlete on Team Japan.

NHK usually invite Japanese top 2 skaters plus an up-coming skater or comeback skater as a host pic. It usually doesn't work in favor of #2 skater - say Wakaba's PCS was lower at NHK than her first GP event out of Japan. And NHK is too close to GP final so it's not a good competition for a veteran skater like Mao anyways.

great, thanks. Though skate america going to be the last gp event in 2017, I am not sure if only is changing dates with nhk or all the dates are different.

Spun Silver

Mao has no WS points to lose from the 2014-15 season, so when those points are removed after this season, her WS ranking should remain inside the top 24 even if she doesn't compete again this season. (ETA: And even if she is not in the top 24 WS or SB lists) I really think she will have the opportunity again to compete at two Grand Prix events next fall as long as she's healthy. :)
Very good to hear this. I have to say, the idea that Mao Asada would not get two GP if she's healthy is simply unimaginable to me. I would much rather she rest now and take the time to heal.

ETA:

Happy New Year, @rosewood and all. #maofan

And I wish a very happy, healthy New Year to Mao!

cohkaix

great, thanks. Though skate america going to be the last gp event in 2017, I am not sure if only is changing dates with nhk or all the dates are different.

That's right! As Nagoya will host GPF next season, NHK gets to move out of the final GP stop, as it usually is. Instead, SA will be last stop, as @chapis replied here. The other stop that has been confirmed is SC, which will take place during Oct 26-29, 2017. I also recall that first GP stop next season has been determined, is it COR? At least NHK and COC haven't been decided yet. (Re. COC, I was told by a Chinese fan from my Chinese Weibo that COC has been trying to invite Mao to COC this season, however, Mao declined the invitation...)

Spun Silver

I don't think SKAM would just change places with NHK as that is Thanksgiving, a big long weekend holiday here. I wonder when it will be. And I hope Mao will return for it again! Maybe this time I could actually make it.

chapis

That's right! As Nagoya will host GPF next season, NHK gets to move out of the final GP stop, as it usually is. Instead, SA will be last stop, as @chapis replied here. The other stop that has been confirmed is SC, which will take place during Oct 26-29, 2017. I also recall that first GP stop next season has been determined, is it COR? At least NHK and COC haven't been decided yet. (Re. COC, I was told by a Chinese fan from my Chinese Weibo that COC has been trying to invite Mao to COC this season, however, Mao declined the invitation...)

do you mean she was invited this season 2016-2017? or they are trying invite her to 2017-2018?

gotoschool

So, I guess my reasoning is that if Mao pulled me into figure skating then that i feel will have a lasting influence or performance, this

Oct 21-23, SKAM
Nov 4-6, CoR
Nov 13-15, TdF
Nov 18-20 CoC
Nov 25-27, NHK
Dec 8-11, GP final

Hopefully she'll be assigned to AKAM or Skate Canada since they are within 2 weeks before/after Western Sectional so that she'll be given bye to Western Sectional. I don't know whether it'll be random draw or reversed order of WS ranking at Olympics at this point. If it'll be the reversed order, I think it's better for Mao to skate at a CS event than Sectional. Also it's most likely WS ranking will work in selection meeting for Olys.

Thanks for all the information. I am still sad that there is no news about Mao skating again this season and to be honest not seeing Mao skate at Worlds well...it adds a few more tears to my eyes when I watch Mao skate to her weepingly beautiful Madame Butterfly from 2016 Worlds. If the doctor thinks Mao resting for a long time would be better, then I think it is great if she is doing so. I still wonder if surgery is an option for a long-term cure, but I am not skilled in this area and don't know her true condition. But, if it is just a matter of resting for a few weeks and then her condition returns to some manageable state, I hope she is able to compete to potentionally earn points and more importantly to see her skate again, though I am personally tired of the COP system and points being given or not given to what I enjoy much more as a performance (and athletic) art. I am following now for Mao.

Though I am aware of the problems with the ice at Trophy of France, I am a little confused about the idea of the Cup of China having better ice because when Mao was there in 2015, the ice was really watery during her LP and a lot of skaters fell that day because of the heat inside the rink. Mao was sweating profusely at the end of the performance. Also, I am not sure but when I heard that she started icing her knee at Cup of China I have often thought that Mao may have gotten injured in the LP because she did probably her biggest triple axel ever (perhaps it created a lot of stress on her left knee on landing) followed quickly by a fall on soft ice on a triple flip and loop (perhaps because she couldn't get a firm toe plant or spring on the backend triple loop on the soft ice). Significantly, Mao also popped her triple flip and didn't do the double loop / double loop for a combo in this LP which has been characteristic this season of her left knee injury. I am not sure, but these are just guesses based on what I saw.

I don't really know about the Grand Prix events. I think the list of skaters and scheduling as you said is the most important feature for of that.

Maybe if it fits in well with her schedule, Mao could return to Finlandia because it has been her best overall performances and placement of the season, though I think her skating skills and step sequences were the best at Nationals. I guess I am being selfish because this may be my best chance to see Mao skate again as well.

Happy New year everyone! My New Year's Resolution is to lose weight and get in shape because the last time I was thin and exercising while Mao was competing, she won the Grand Prix Final, skated the Sochi LP and won Worlds which was back in 2013 -2014. Maybe the good physical conditioning and health of her fans can send positive vibes that will improve Mao's health and condition as well.

Last edited:

arakwafan2006

Did anyone post this article?
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/.../time-mao-change-direction-give/#.WGmIl30-XIW

It was tough to read, especially since I don't agree. If Mao were going to switch coaches, it should have happened by now. I believe that most fans have a misrepresentation of what a coach's responsibilities and capabilities extend to. As with any classroom, once teachers present material, it's up to the student to study and digest the information. I like Orser's camp and it works for some but Yuzuru is inconsistent as hell and honestly, so is Javi barring worlds.

I am only a fan but it looks like Mao only got her mood back before Japanese nationals. Also, Mao is at her best when she's trying the 3Axel. Still, between now and Olympics, for a skater that has already rebuilt her jumps so to speak, it's not enough time to go through that again if you ask me. Mao doesn't need repackaging and she doesn't need to have to work through a learning curve, she doesn't have time. Maybe since she's older she could use more of a confidant on her team to cheer her up but switching would be super risky...

chapis

Did anyone post this article?
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/.../time-mao-change-direction-give/#.WGmIl30-XIW

It was tough to read, especially since I don't agree. If Mao were going to switch coaches, it should have happened by now. I believe that most fans have a misrepresentation of what a coach's responsibilities and capabilities extend to. As with any classroom, once teachers present material, it's up to the student to study and digest the information. I like Orser's camp and it works for some but Yuzuru is inconsistent as hell and honestly, so is Javi barring worlds.

I am only a fan but it looks like Mao only got her mood back before Japanese nationals. Also, Mao is at her best when she's trying the 3Axel. Still, between now and Olympics, for a skater that has already rebuilt her jumps so to speak, it's not enough time to go through that again if you ask me. Mao doesn't need repackaging and she doesn't need to have to work through a learning curve, she doesn't have time. Maybe since she's older she could use more of a confidant on her team to cheer her up but switching would be super risky...

We all know to the writer, Jack G., poor imagination and opportunist. At this point basically all depends of Mao and of course, of her health, not of their team. She has skated all her life, I doubt someone has something truly trascendent to contribute. Not at this moment. Maybe it was posible post Sochi, but not one season before olympics.

arakwafan2006

We all know to the writer, Jack G., poor imagination and opportunist. At this point basically all depends of Mao and of course, of her health, not of their team. She has skated all her life, I doubt someone has something truly trascendent to contribute. Not at this moment. Maybe it was posible post Sochi, but not one season before olympics.

It's not entirely logical and is really a unicorn concept; often talked about never seen. It rarely happens in a last ditch effort where a skater switches to said miracle coach and reaches true potential with moments to spare. Also, thats assuming that Brian has the time. He's coaching probably 3-4 skaters that will likely be in the next Olympics. Mao would have to and for all we know could adjust to him, his team etc. in no time flat. That's more of a distraction than an opportunity

kittyjake5

I just glazed over that article. We know from Mao's own words that she has been fighting a knee injury and she has not been able to train her jumps
properly. Gallagher fails to mention injury at all in his article. IMO he has misrepresented the facts which he has done before many times.

arakwafan2006

I just glazed over that article. We know from Mao's own words that she has been fighting a knee injury and she has not been able to train her jumps
properly. Gallagher fails to mention injury at all in his article. IMO he has misrepresented the facts which he has done before many times.

Smh... " I glazed over the article which is how I can now say he failed to mention something and of
Course he misrepresented facts"... he did mention it...

chapis

Smh... " I glazed over the article which is how I can now say he failed to mention something and of

He says the knee is an excuse :rolleyes:, of fans I guess. Yuna and other skaters always used injuries to justify poor results and now he doubts Mao is injured because she is competing.

kittyjake5

Below is what Gallagher mentioned in his article, IMO he is still misrepresenting the facts because he does
not believe Mao has a knee injury.

"And forget the excuse about the knee injury. As I have said before, if Mao is genuinely hurt she should not be skating at all."

arakwafan2006

Below is what Gallagher mentioned in his article, IMO he is still misrepresenting the facts because he does
not believe Mao has a knee injury.

"And forget the excuse about the knee injury. As I have said before, if Mao is genuinely hurt she should not be skating at all."

He's right though. Not saying her knee doesn't cause her pain but , what he said.

chapis

He's right though. Not saying her knee doesn't cause her pain but , what he said.

What? that is an excuse or that if she is genuinely hurt should not be skating at all?

For me the problem is he implying that her results are not related at all with a injury, therefore, if she is not injured her problems are solely because her team, her bad technique or age. We all know the story about Yuna not having 3loop (a back injury) and apparently accordly to some people she did not win worlds 2008 because she was injured. Gracie said she was having problems with her skating because her weight, Daisuke competed injured too. But then Mao can´t be enough hurt to have training problems, a chronic pain is not enough, it is only an excuse. A lot of skaters compete injured, but when is Mao I guess for him genuinely hurt means a femur fracture or something like that.

gotoschool

I think Gallagher has an insidious habit of "trying" to undermine Mao whenever possible and he often tries to use backdoor tactics to do it. But, he is known to be a huge fan of Yuna Kim. Many fans of Yuna Kim are very kind and highly complimentary to Mao, others like Gallagher are not. Gallagher often makes allusions to Yuna Kim directly or indirectly, as he does yet again with Brian Orser, in many of his articles about Mao while providing condescending passive aggressive "advice" and commentary that gives a superficial appearance of being constructive on one side, while undermining Mao on the other- a kind of bait and switch, sensationalist tactic to lure people to his website so he can profit equally from views of those who approve and disdain his articles. In my opinion, I think it is best to take the advice of how to treat a troll and that is stay away and don't feed his visits. Why does Mao skate now and why does she downplay her injury? I don't know but perhaps the reason is in the title of the fan thread itself, "For the love of skating" and to be noble by not complaining and because of the great appreciation she gets from her fans and those who watch skating and see the great beauty of her performances beyond the mistakes. I don't know if it is true but I have heard that Mao wanted to use Nationals as a stepping stone to improving and perfecting her performances and she certainly improved in all facets from Trophy of France and in my opinion her performance was also an improvement over Skate America in skating skills, step sequence, the triple flip and loop, the triple lutz and the double axel triple toe. Mao also was able to do triple axels in practice and even in warmup in front of a large crowd and she had the guts to attempt it in competition which was a big step forward. The relatively huge view counts on youtube for the competition and compliments for Mao's performances belie the extremely harsh criticism, though she admittedly made mistakes. I like so many others am so glad to see her skate. I watched a performance of Janet Lynn's shortly after Nationals and then watched Mao's performance and thought how the skating skills and expression reminded me of that classical time gone by in a way no other skater does today. It was an enchanting trip down memory lane.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information