The Alexander Petrov Fan Thread

adelia

Sasha will take part in the Panin Memorial in St Petersburg this week as a warm up to Skate Canada.
Men's SP: 20 Oct
FS: 22 Oct
Gala: 22 Oct

adelia

Free Program run-through. There is no sound in the video to begin with (faulty stream) but the music comes on later in the program. They did improve the stream quality later in the day but Sasha skipped the second session for his group. This was a planned absence. He will be in group 2 for the final session before the SP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlTnaS4MG_Y

adelia

His coaches need to put back the quad into Sasha's layout. To be honest I was very surprised they took it out at the Panin Memorial. Almost shocked. Sasha had already landed it twice (UR) in galas during the late summer and that was in his SP so I'm puzzled as to why it was taken out of the SP before Nebelhorn and then taken out of the FS after Finlandia. There's a certain lack of ambition on the coaches' part which is unsettling and that does not match with the skater's own desires (based on interviews given by Sasha). He needs to be allowed to try the quad, even if it means upsetting the rest of the program because this is just what everyone has to go through at some point.

adelia

Russian Nationals. He finished 6th. Physically he doesn't seem to be in as good shape as he was this time last year. He looked tired. I'm not surprised that almost all the Russian skaters who went to Golden Spin did not have good results at Nationals. And Sasha for whatever reasons took 12 hrs to get to Zagreb and 26 hrs to return from Zagreb. He is fatigued.

But I'm more concerned about the fact that his coaches still don't allow him to try a quad in competition even though he personally wants to. He has to be allowed to try it, even if it's not good in practice. I've seen his quad in practice, so have other fans. It is quite inconsistent but he basically can do the jump. I'm not disappointed in Sasha because I know he gave whatever he could at Nationals. I understand how much he wants this. But I'm disappointed in his coaches.

SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMwWUqVO_n4
FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Btw41P1OGg

Last edited:

Kelvster

Just want to say that I've recently become a fan of Sasha's skating. He embodies all the things that I miss about figure skating ... textbook jumps (great flow both in and out of the jumps), fantastic steps (without ever losing flow), decent spins ... and his choreography is always charming (almost old school ... lol). He's not the most flamboyant of skaters, and that's what I like!!

Sigh ... but the competition in Russia is indeed v. strong. I hope that whoever goes to Worlds this year can earn three spots for Olys (it's gonna be mega difficult), and Sasha can do some wonders next year to land on the podium again!!! and knock off all those with bad teknik and pointless flamboyant choreography :D

But yes ... he desperately desperately needs a quad ... look what's happened to Gordi Pots (another talented skater whose career has unfortunately gone nowhere due to being quadless). At least Sasha has made it to Euros once.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Russian Nationals. He finished 6th. Physically he doesn't seem to be in as good shape as he was this time last year. He looked tired. I'm not surprised that almost all the Russian skaters who went to Golden Spin did not have good results at Nationals. And Sasha for whatever reasons took 12 hrs to get to Zagreb and 26 hrs to return from Zagreb. He is fatigued.

But I'm more concerned about the fact that his coaches still don't allow him to try a quad in competition even though he personally wants to. He has to be allowed to try it, even if it's not good in practice. I've seen his quad in practice, so have other fans. It is quite inconsistent but he basically can do the jump. I'm not disappointed in Sasha because I know he gave whatever he could at Nationals. I understand how much he wants this. But I'm disappointed in his coaches.

SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMwWUqVO_n4
FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Btw41P1OGg

I think the coaches know what they are doing. It is not enough to land a quad in practice once in a while. He has to have consistency and confidence to try it in a competition. A quad takes a lot out of a skater, and he has to be able to skate the whole program, whether he lands it or not. If the international judges get the impression that he can't do the quad, it creates a negative impression.

Now the younger skaters are doing 3 or 4 (even 5) quads in the LP. I hope Sasha has the athleticism to match that, long term. I do like his skating. I just hope that he can make it to worlds next year.

I think Kolyada will do well at worlds but I am concerned about whoever their #2 skater will be. Most likely Kovtun who is extremely inconsistent. He can finish 5-10 or even in high 20s. It will be tough to get 3 spots for Russia for next year. I would like to see Voronov get another chance but he pretty much blew his chances when he skated poorly in the LP at the Russian nationals.

adelia

I think the coaches know what they are doing. It is not enough to land a quad in practice once in a while. He has to have consistency and confidence to try it in a competition. A quad takes a lot out of a skater, and he has to be able to skate the whole program, whether he lands it or not. If the international judges get the impression that he can't do the quad, it creates a negative impression.

Now the younger skaters are doing 3 or 4 (even 5) quads in the LP. I hope Sasha has the athleticism to match that, long term. I do like his skating. I just hope that he can make it to worlds next year.

I think Kolyada will do well at worlds but I am concerned about whoever their #2 skater will be. Most likely Kovtun who is extremely inconsistent. He can finish 5-10 or even in high 20s. It will be tough to get 3 spots for Russia for next year. I would like to see Voronov get another chance but he pretty much blew his chances when he skated poorly in the LP at the Russian nationals.
How do you gain confidence when your coach keeps changing his mind about whether to include a jump in competition? How do you gain confidence when your coach keeps changing your jump layout on the morning of the competition? And the one time this season that Sasha was allowed to try a quad in competition, he skated the rest of the program clean even though he popped the quad. So no, I do not agree that his coaches know what they are doing because the evidence says otherwise.

adelia

Perhaps you've heard about it by now but Mishin mentioned today that he wants to send Sasha to Junior Worlds.

adelia

As expected, Sasha got his TES min and won Sofia Trophy junior mens event. He can go to Junior Worlds now.

No videos though.

adelia

Sasha landed a clean 4T in his SP today at the Prizes of the Figure Skating Federation of St Petersburg competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information